Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The USA almost exclusively uses metric for liquor and wine. That's progress, right?

They do? I've always heard things like 'a fifth of <spirits>' or oz., not anything metric. At least science stuff is mostly metric, when it isn't causing Mars satellites to crash http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

made of bees posted:

I've never known even the :freep: est of my relatives to get mad about watts, either.
I don't think the general public ever used anything but watts, did they?

Or I guess horsepower measures the same thing. People would probably get mad if they tried to give engine ratings in watts.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Holy poo poo shut up about unit systems

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I saw a map that included Antarctica as metric. Even the penguins know it's better. And Myanmar is preparing to switch over.

IIRC, halting all U.S. progress toward metrication is just another wonderful thing you can thank Reagan for.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mng posted:

They do? I've always heard things like 'a fifth of <spirits>' or oz., not anything metric. At least science stuff is mostly metric, when it isn't causing Mars satellites to crash http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter.

A "fifth" of liquor is just the historic name (it was a fifth of a gallon); liquor bottles are actually measured in (milli)liters.

prefect has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Oct 27, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

WD-40's not a lubricant, drat it! :argh:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe he was just having moisture problems, you dont want that poo poo getting rusty.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, it certainly thinks it is

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

WD-40 Lubricannot

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Decrepus posted:

WD-40 Lubricannot

WD-40 Lubrinacan

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
The look on this thing's face.

Look at his mind. It's exploding.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Not the mama!

:q:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

eminkey2003 posted:

The look on this thing's face.

Look at his mind. It's exploding.

Someone's had a few puffs, that's for sure.

:420:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

mng posted:

A fifth gallon was a historic size and the name stuck because people were unable to tell the size difference in bottles when they moved from 757 mL to 750 mL.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fart Pipe posted:

Maybe he was just having moisture problems, you dont want that poo poo getting rusty.
That sounds probable.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Say Nothing posted:

That sounds probable.

This is available on Netflix, FYI.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Nude Nuns is good alliteration but bad nuns.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Say Nothing posted:

That sounds probable.

This movie will change your life.

Malkamar
Mar 15, 2009
MY DEAD HUSBAND WAS FULL OF SHIT

Say Nothing posted:

That sounds probable.

It's no Blood Sister: One Tough Nun.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

ninmeister posted:

This movie will change your life.

Yes, when my wife sees it in the "recently watched" queue. Although I could always try to blame it on the kids...

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Part of the "ethnic" food section of a supermarket.

It's the American section of a UK grocery.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

particle409 posted:

No Bisquick?

I like seeing these though:

On the flip side, having grown up near Pittsburgh it's weird to see Heinz products (baked beans) in the British section of the supermarket.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Oh man, I know what that's like. :allears:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think anyone in Europe associates Twix, M&M's or Snickers with the United States. Marshmallow fluff and beef jerky, yeah, that's not very common here.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Oct 27, 2013

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
I'm actually curious about Mac 'n' Cheese after seeing it hailed everywhere as the cheap/easy bachelor food. I've yet to find it though. Beef Jerky was quite OK.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

ubergnu posted:

I'm actually curious about Mac 'n' Cheese after seeing it hailed everywhere as the cheap/easy bachelor food. I've yet to find it though. Beef Jerky was quite OK.

Depends on both the brand and type you get; Kraft is probably the best brand, but the type is down to personal preference - I prefer the cheese powder kind that you add milk & butter, but some people prefer the cheese sauce kind, where the cheese is in a foil packet that you squeeze out over the noodles.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

particle409 posted:

If it's any consolation, a local supermarket here in Australia has an Asian aisle with a UK foods section. It's where you find the Yorkie bars, Minstrels, Irn Bru and Yorkshire Pudding mix.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm staying inside today.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

m2pt5 posted:

Depends on both the brand and type you get; Kraft is probably the best brand, but the type is down to personal preference - I prefer the cheese powder kind that you add milk & butter, but some people prefer the cheese sauce kind, where the cheese is in a foil packet that you squeeze out over the noodles.

You can also cook macaroni noodles and use a double boiler to melt cheese (in absence if a double boiler just make one with a small pot) and pour that in to the noodles instead. Tastes amazing, requires relatively little effort, and you can buy your Mac and Cheese in bulk without a bunch of boxes

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think anyone in Europe associates Twix, M&M's or Snickers with the United States. Marshmallow fluff and beef jerky, yeah, that's not very common here.

Those are types of Twix, Snickers and M&Ms we don't normally get over here, peanut butter flavour etc...

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

death .cab for qt posted:

You can also cook macaroni noodles and use a double boiler to melt cheese (in absence if a double boiler just make one with a small pot) and pour that in to the noodles instead. Tastes amazing, requires relatively little effort, and you can buy your Mac and Cheese in bulk without a bunch of boxes

Or if you really want to go American: microwave the cheese.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

:stonk:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's the ugliest loving duck I've ever seen

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's the ugliest loving duck I've ever seen

I was gonna argue it was a goose but I can see the little dog mask now, so you're right

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

death .cab for qt posted:

I grew up in the States and miss boxed mac and cheese dearly. Cheddar doesn't have the same disgusting cheesyness and you can't buy the blocks of velveeta/american cheese where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
When i visited the states from the UK they had 'ethnic' sections full of english food in just the same way. Its nothing unusual.

• Locked thread