Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Basticle posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before but I was looking for WW Wallpapers and found this

No idea what magazine this his from but everything about this is gold

:stare: Rob Lowe's hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Rob Lowe is just so pretty.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The left side is straight out of a Sears catalogue, while the right side is just insanity.

Who's the guy with the wig? What's with the kid? Why does John Spencer look like Janel just shoved something up his butt.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Asiina posted:

Who's the guy with the wig?

Thomas Jefferson, probably. Just the mere fact of Toby arguing with a founding father is hysterical.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The guy in the wig sorta kinda lookes like Tim Matheson but probably isnt which just makes it even more bizzare.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Marley Wants More posted:

Thomas Jefferson, probably. Just the mere fact of Toby arguing with a founding father is hysterical.

They must be arguing about the typo Toby found in the Constitution :haw:

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
One thing I just noticed that kinda bugs me in S04E11 Holy Night when Josh and CJ talk about the Danny story. Josh completely lays out the entire plot without actually having any way of knowing what happened. It threw me off a little bit to hear him blindly call exactly what happened when they spent so long on keeping the details such a secret.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From memory at some point off screen Leo and the President start telling people, so I assumed that they'd just told them everything. I may be miss remembering, however.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
Hey, I just watched the Our Nixon documentary, and pretty early on Nixon is talking to a secret service guy about the tape recorders, and the agent's name is Butterfield. That's gotta be on purpose right? It's not like the guy's name is Johnson, Martin or Williams.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

nagel posted:

Hey, I just watched the Our Nixon documentary, and pretty early on Nixon is talking to a secret service guy about the tape recorders, and the agent's name is Butterfield. That's gotta be on purpose right? It's not like the guy's name is Johnson, Martin or Williams.

Alexander Butterfield was a Deputy Assistant to the Chief of Staff. So he was an older more experienced (went to college with Nixon) 6th and 7th season Charlie.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
Ah, ok. Kinda misread the subtitles, I guess. But still...?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

nagel posted:

Ah, ok. Kinda misread the subtitles, I guess. But still...?

I would agree its a tribute to the man. He is a major symbol of discretion and being loyal to the office. These types of details don't happen on accident.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I know this was sold to Rob Lowe as the Rob Lowe show, but from early on it's been much more of the Bradley Whitford show. He's the only person whose assistant is in the main cast, he's the one that talks to an auditorium of students while Mendoza is in jail, and we see the beginning of the Bartlett campaign through his eyes in the season 2 opening.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I came to that same conclusion myself. So did the writers, honestly.

I think Rob Lowe got fit to a character that Rob Lowe could play masterfully: Sam is youthful, charismatic, and sort of silly. But those traits don't peg him as a kingmaker. Rob Lowe makes an excellent assistant to the Whitehouse director of communications, but ultimately, the assistant the Whitehouse director of communications does not move plots.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

FISHMANPET posted:

I know this was sold to Rob Lowe as the Rob Lowe show, but from early on it's been much more of the Bradley Whitford show. He's the only person whose assistant is in the main cast, he's the one that talks to an auditorium of students while Mendoza is in jail, and we see the beginning of the Bartlett campaign through his eyes in the season 2 opening.

I agree this was very much the Bradley Whitford show. As far as I know the Donna situation was a happy accident though, she was not billed as part of the main cast throughout the whole first season. That said the writers obviously realized that there was some mad chemistry between Whitford and Moloney pretty early on, which is why she seems to be part of the main cast even then.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FISHMANPET posted:

I know this was sold to Rob Lowe as the Rob Lowe show, but from early on it's been much more of the Bradley Whitford show.

And it's sad that this is what ultimately caused Rob Lowe to leave, because Sam was a great character, and the show was never the same without him - Will Bailey was never half as good a character.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Wasn't it primarily a money issue though? Not saying they're not related, but I thought that Rob Lowe took a much smaller salary than he used to get because he liked the show. After four seasons, the network refused to increase it, and he left.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Though in the pilot (which we knew was planned to be more about the cast) we open with Sam, the main plot is not only around Sam, but Sam's lovelife, which is pretty much always how the 'lead guy' is set out. Then Bartlett went and owned so much fundamentalist rear end he took the role; they realised what they had and ran with it.
That's how I've always seen it, anyway.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

meatbag posted:

Wasn't it primarily a money issue though? Not saying they're not related, but I thought that Rob Lowe took a much smaller salary than he used to get because he liked the show. After four seasons, the network refused to increase it, and he left.

The opposite, Rob Lowe was getting leading man salary, everyone else was getting much less. When it came time to renegotiate contracts everyone was bumped up to match the direction the show took but Lowe still wanted to make proportionally more.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Ah, my mistake.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The opposite, Rob Lowe was getting leading man salary, everyone else was getting much less. When it came time to renegotiate contracts everyone was bumped up to match the direction the show took but Lowe still wanted to make proportionally more.

Cite your source.

The pilot would not have gotten made with out Rob Lowe attached. Martin Sheen came because Rob Lowe was a family friend and made the connection. Everyone else was paid less because they were unknown stage actors and renegotiated to a salary higher than his. Lowe put all this in print in his autobiography, and he was classy about it then and in the book.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

And it's sad that this is what ultimately caused Rob Lowe to leave, because Sam was a great character, and the show was never the same without him - Will Bailey was never half as good a character.

He likes Europe. :colbert:

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.
Also, funnily enough, the network wanted Robe Lowe as Josh and Bradley Whitford as Sam Seaborn.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Aah midway through season 3, the point where Aaron Sorkin realizes that Ed and Larry are a running gag.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

pioneer fun posted:

Also, funnily enough, the network wanted Robe Lowe as Josh and Bradley Whitford as Sam Seaborn.

I'm trying to imagine what this would have looked like and it's hurting my head

Caufman
May 7, 2007

myron cope posted:

I'm trying to imagine what this would have looked like and it's hurting my head

"Plus, I've got that boyish thing."

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
We are midway through season 5, just watched the episode where President Lassiter dies. I've been amazed how themes keep coming around in real life almost 10 years later; the budget crisis and shutdown, arab spring-like protests, discussions about propping up monarchies.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tomapot posted:

We are midway through season 5, just watched the episode where President Lassiter dies. I've been amazed how themes keep coming around in real life almost 10 years later; the budget crisis and shutdown, arab spring-like protests, discussions about propping up monarchies.
"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
"I did love seeing Zoey again! More Zoey in season four, please. That would be grand!"

:roflolmao:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

"Will is in the opening credits! Oh poo poo, that’s about as good of a sign that he’s joining the cast as one could get. I love everything about this idea"

Yeah, about that buddy. I completely forgot this blog was around after finding it the first time, time to read through and look for other gems :shobon:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheBigBad posted:

Cite your source.

The pilot would not have gotten made with out Rob Lowe attached. Martin Sheen came because Rob Lowe was a family friend and made the connection. Everyone else was paid less because they were unknown stage actors and renegotiated to a salary higher than his. Lowe put all this in print in his autobiography, and he was classy about it then and in the book.

Two articles citing insiders
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=101202
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,333363,00.html

And one citing Lowe himself including how he rewrote what happenend in his autobiography
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Exclusive-Rob-Lowe-Opens-Up/9

2,3 and 4th hits on a 'Lowe leaving West Wing' google search.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 3, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Khablam posted:

"Will is in the opening credits! Oh poo poo, that’s about as good of a sign that he’s joining the cast as one could get. I love everything about this idea"

Yeah, about that buddy. I completely forgot this blog was around after finding it the first time, time to read through and look for other gems :shobon:

I love reading these sorts of blogs, where someone watches and reviews an awesome TV show that they haven't seen before. The AV club has one going for the west wing as well.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

The Lord Bude posted:

I love reading these sorts of blogs, where someone watches and reviews an awesome TV show that they haven't seen before. The AV club has one going for the west wing as well.

So do I. On that topic, does anyone know why the AV Club didn't continue their West Wing coverage this summer?
Also, I just actually watched one of those Mark Watches vlogs. While I can't imagine doing that for whole seasons, it's pretty funny. And it helps that he's cute.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

Also, I just actually watched one of those Mark Watches vlogs. While I can't imagine doing that for whole seasons, it's pretty funny. And it helps that he's cute.

This is from a particular episode of Friday Night Lights:

I don't watch many of them. Just if I think his reactions will be good.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

kingturnip posted:

This is from a particular episode of Friday Night Lights:

I don't watch many of them. Just if I think his reactions will be good.

Yeah, he has great reactions. His reaction to Simon getting shot was a lovely source of concentrated schadenfreude.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

[quote=""DominoDancing"" post=""421281579""]
So do I. On that topic, does anyone know why the AV Club didn't continue their West Wing coverage this summer?
[/quote]

And he does books and games as well! I was reading his site for 8 hours straight.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've watched this through about 18 times or so, and only just now did I notice that Jeb slaps Abby's rear end as he goes on stage at the debate with Ritchie.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I've watched this through about 18 times or so, and only just now did I notice that Jeb slaps Abby's rear end as he goes on stage at the debate with Ritchie.

Is that after she cuts off his tie?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

njbeachbum posted:

Is that after she cuts off his tie?

Yeah, right before he steps onto stage. The entire scene is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

That is a fantastic scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyqzPu5pX6U

• Locked thread