Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Actually, it sort of plays off the real life trend that California has THE largest concentration of Japanese Americans in the United States, and so the English game universe has it that this stuff comes from long established immigrant populations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well that's something I never knew about. Interesting!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just wish, during one of the times the crowd is talking, someone would just pipe up with "Wait, what the hell is a yokai? Speak American!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Case 2 court 1 So... How the gently caress can Athena tell that Jinxie saw a cat monster on a wheel of fire from the tone of her voice? Wut?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think justifying the Not Japan thing really clumsily has just become series tradition by this point, much like grape juice (which sadly doesn't make an appearance).

Actually, now that I think about it, almost none of the series traditions make an appearance. You can't examine charley or the detention center guard, there is a stepladder but nobody talks about it, etc.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Amppelix posted:

I think justifying the Not Japan thing really clumsily has just become series tradition by this point, much like grape juice (which sadly doesn't make an appearance).

Actually, now that I think about it, almost none of the series traditions make an appearance. You can't examine charley or the detention center guard, there is a stepladder but nobody talks about it, etc.

You missed the stepladder conversation, you have to examine the vent after using the ladder.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Not really a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway. Case 4, Investigation 1: Hey, Psyche-Locks! I've missed those little guys.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aww I hadn't gotten to that revelation yet. :(

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hedrigall posted:

edit: Also could a few people who've just finished the game pop open Activity Log on their 3DSes and tell me their total play time?

Because I know at least one person would want me to spoiler it, 32:38.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

edit: Also could a few people who've just finished the game pop open Activity Log on their 3DSes and tell me their total play time?
31:01, started it up 8 times, with an avarage play time of 3:52

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

edit: Also could a few people who've just finished the game pop open Activity Log on their 3DSes and tell me their total play time? A few datapoints might reveal an average, and I want to know if I can finish this off before Layton comes out :D

Play time: 31:18
Times Played: 1
Average Play time: 31:18 :v:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Hedrigall posted:

edit: Also could a few people who've just finished the game pop open Activity Log on their 3DSes and tell me their total play time? A few datapoints might reveal an average, and I want to know if I can finish this off before Layton comes out :D

Play time: 20:23
Times played: 27
Played it on/off for about 3 days

I think I'll play a second time to really get all the smaller conversations/press during all the details, etc. :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I just finished case 2. I think it was a really fun case overall, but I had a few problems with it.

Firstly, it felt like the case kept "leaking" information. Like how the culprit is explicitly revealed in the opening movie, and how Filch tells you he was coached early on. And how L'Belle tells you that Tenma Taro is cursed treasure just before you're asked what it is. It just seemed odd because I feel like the player could've arrived at those conclusions themselves.

Secondly, I still don't really understand how the whole "L'Belle was locked out of the Forbidden Chamber" thing worked. My guess would be that Filch barreled out of the Forbidden Chamber so fast he knocked over L'Belle and made him drop the key, then Damian came out and ate the key and closed the door for some reason. Then he got hit on the head, or something.

Thirdly, the blackmail letter. L'Belle destroys it during the second investigation, but I don't see why Apollo even had the actual blackmail letter, considering it was presented by Blackquill in court. That letter would have been useful during the final stage of court proceedings, so it's weird that it just vanished like that.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Is much of the music on youtube? I don't want to search because spoilers, but please could someone who's finished the game take a look? Especially if Apollo's theme, the piano version of his objection, and other main character themes are up there. Wanna listen to them :shobon:

Polsy'ing up the links might be a good idea too...

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Case 3's breakdown is hilarious, the music is awesome, and there were so many "best" characters it was crazy. Finished it after an insane marathon, I can't believe 2 days of my life disappeared.

Case 5's spaceman is the WORSE CHARACTER. Stop with those unskippable sighs, drat it.

The prosecutor was well done though, at least it wasn't the 4th's guy. He appeared in this game and he's still so forgettable. Although he wasn't so insufferable in this game though.

And I can't help but burst into laughter when at one point Athena tried her emotions again and Blackquill just walked off.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Is much of the music on youtube? I don't want to search because spoilers, but please could someone who's finished the game take a look? Especially if Apollo's theme, the piano version of his objection, and other main character themes are up there. Wanna listen to them :shobon:

Polsy'ing up the links might be a good idea too...

Ask and ye shall receive.
Apollo's Theme.
Apollo's Objection Theme.
Athena's Theme.
Athena's Objection Theme.
Phoenix's Objection Theme.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Thankyou friend!! One more request, the piece that I'm guessing is the Pursuit theme? It shows up all the time in court. I think it was in the trailer too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Thankyou friend!! One more request, the piece that I'm guessing is the Pursuit theme? It shows up all the time in court. I think it was in the trailer too.

Here ya go.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Man, Blackquill looked way cooler when I didn't know he had a huge ponytail mullet.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Case 3, trial day 2 spoilers:

Bailiff: The prosecutor said, "Rubbish! We will be out on a stroll!" then left with Detective Fulbright.

Blackquill is the best prosecutor. :allears:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Strange Quark posted:

Bailiff: The prosecutor said, "Rubbish! We will be out on a stroll!" then left with Detective Fulbright.

Yeah, that entire part was amazing. :allears: He's the first prosecutor to finally say "Nope. Not doing it. This is dumb." He's a convict prosecutor with a pet hawk and somehow he's the straight man in the courtroom. The man is physically incapable of giving any fucks about anything. This is a man with no fucks left to give. He never had any fucks to start with.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Also I hate the fact that I can't read the entire thing about Tofu Taro and how he fights cancer.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Is anyone else getting a bug where any evidence with text is displayed on a weird background, making it impossible to read? :downs:

Is there any workaround?

e: Sometimes text disappears from the conversation view, too.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 27, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I never got that, but try saving and restarting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hedrigall posted:

Play time: 27:51
Times played: 2
Average Play Time: 13:55
First Played: 10/24/2013
Last Played: 10/27/2013

I kinda marathoned it. :shobon:

Pastrymancy posted:

Play time: 20:23
Times played: 27
Played it on/off for about 3 days

I think I'll play a second time to really get all the smaller conversations/press during all the details, etc. :)

:pwn: Are you a wizard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Play time: 27:51
Times played: 2
Average Play Time: 13:55
First Played: 10/24/2013
Last Played: 10/27/2013

I kinda marathoned it. :shobon:

:pwn: Are you a wizard.

I've actually got them beat

Play Time: 17:52

I loved every second of it and want the DLC cases right now. Hell, given that DLC cases are an option in this engine they should give me AAI2 in this format. I need more Edgeworth!

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Barudak posted:

I've actually got them beat

Play Time: 17:52

I loved every second of it and want the DLC cases right now. Hell, given that DLC cases are an option in this engine they should give me AAI2 in this format. I need more Edgeworth!

Wait, am I some kind of god drat speedrunning wizard or something? I got 16:13 and it's not like I felt like I rushed through the game.

I don't get it, does hitting B to go through the text faster really shave off half the time?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Did you press every statement? Did you present every piece of evidence to everyone all the time?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Strange Quark posted:

Just got to that part right now. Blackquill's the best. Not only does he not put up with dumb gimmicky poo poo but he doesn't put up with dumb witnesses wasting his time either. :swoon:

e; Hahaha holy poo poo the judge laying down an ice burn on Hugh? :allears:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 27, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I just finished Case 4. Holy crap that was really short. I hope Case 5 is extra long to make up for it. I get that it's setting up the twist with Athena's fingerprints but...

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Late case 5 spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/8LRwjQE.jpg

I mean seriously

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

tiistai posted:

I mean seriously

But can you prove she was wearing that glove at the time of the murder!? :science:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Suspicious Cook posted:

But can you prove she was wearing that glove at the time of the murder!? :science:

I'm sure she took it off just to get her fingerprints on a lighter. :v:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
DLC costumes, obviously. I mean you can't wear the same clothes ALL the time, really.

Listening to the soundtrack, I really like the Mood matrix theme and variant a lot. I mean, I like a whole lot of the themes in general, but the cross-examination themes are some of the most important themes (you're gonna be spending a bit of time with them, after all) and I'm really glad they did a great job on these.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tiistai posted:

I'm sure she took it off just to get her fingerprints on a lighter. :v:

BUT EVIDENCE IS EVERYTHING YOU CAN'T PROVE TO ME THAT 2 + 2 = 4 :byodood:

The game's writers really need to learn about falsifiable arguments and the burden of proof.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Terper posted:

Did you press every statement? Did you present every piece of evidence to everyone all the time?

I mostly pressed every statement, but I didn't press some of the blatantly obvious ones because it was around 3AM. Ditto on presenting every piece of evidence, but I did present my attorney's badge to everyone! :buddy:

e.

Tiitsai posted:

I mean seriously

I was honestly trying to figure out how to point that out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

BUT EVIDENCE IS EVERYTHING YOU CAN'T PROVE TO ME THAT 2 + 2 = 4 :byodood:

The game's writers really need to learn about falsifiable arguments and the burden of proof.

Still case 5 superspoilers:
I dunno, it makes sense to me. It is a proven fact (by that point) that Athena's right-handed prints are on that lighter. It's not "She always wears gloves, so she couldn't have left the marks", it's "she left marks, so she couldn't have worn gloves". Meaning that Phoenix is the one who has to prove that Athena either did wear gloves, or that something else is wrong (which he did so :yayclod:) I don't deny that the burden of proof is often on Phoenix in many other cases when it really shouldn't be, but I do think in this case it applies.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I just spent about 23 hours blazing through this game and it was amazing! They really nailed the characters and cases this time. I really enjoyed all episodes, the last one having probably the best payoff to any of the Ace Attorney games I've played. (It's definitely up there with the first game.)

Spoilers about everything:
A lot of people seem to dislike Robin but I just loved how everybody declares very solemly that she is such a manly man and only seconds later she starts twirling and getting sassy with the judge. It also helps that she (and the robots for that matter) just has (/have) the best theme song. It's so catchy!
Athena's backstory really got to me, so maybe my judgement is a bit clouded by that. Still, I really liked her in this game and even Apollo kind of grew on me after a while.
Phoenix was also really well done. He seems a lot more in his element than in previous games. I thought it was a nice touch that he pretty much never lost his composure (entirely) during trials, which contrasted nicely with his new attorney buddies.
Then there is Bobby Fulbright. I really started liking him from case three onward so the reveal was actually quite surprising. His breakdown was also utterly horrifying.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Can we just talk for a second how amazingly catchy this song is?

(Polsy'd YouTube link, so usual YouTube related spoiler warnings still in effect)

The entire soundtrack is simply amazing. The new themes are especially catchy, though.
Who would dare to dislike Bobby Fulbright with a theme like that?
And Nine-Tail Vale just reminds me of Okami.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 27, 2013

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Halfway through case 4, I never thought I'd say this, but I wish I were playing as Apollo right now. Kind of feels like this case should belong to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Case 3, Day 2 Trial (near the end I think); Means suddenly pulling out a giant chalkboard out of nowhere, and sticking his hair into a mohawk was spontaneous, unexpected and awesome. :allears:

• Locked thread