Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

contrapants posted:

gbsfood makes me want to be a vegetarian.

Nothing will make me give up my carbs, though. Bread is too delicious.

I regret this decision more as each day passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Two good grandma memories:

Every time we'd greet, I'd say "how are you today, grandma?" She would respond "mean, grouchy, and unreasonable." That's how I knew she was okay. I can only imagine the confusion when she said that to St. Peter this morning.

For years in Hawaii my grandma worked at the Dole pineapple plant, so she always smelled like pineapple. To the end, we COULD NOT serve pineapple To my grandma because of it.

:unsmith:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Every time we'd greet, I'd say "how are you today, grandma?" She would respond "mean, grouchy, and unreasonable." That's how I knew she was okay. I can only imagine the confusion when she said that to St. Peter this morning.

For years in Hawaii my grandma worked at the Dole pineapple plant, so she always smelled like pineapple. To the end, we COULD NOT serve pineapple To my grandma because of it.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My grandma passed this morning.

Will miss my grandma.

Sorry buddy :(

edit to add: sounds like you have some great memories though :unsmith:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh my god, Wiggles, that's vaguely how I picture you (responding with "mean, grouchy, and unreasonable", whether or not you meant it). She sounds like one hell of a lady, and it would have been a privilege to know her. :)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Condolences, Wiggles and Ulysses. There's always a great sadness when we lose one more link to that which went before, no matter how good a life they may have had and how much we convince ourselves that it was "their time".

Dino, I'm really sorry. I don't have any other words (except to say that I am very sure that HH's invitation to come for a visit to Denmark is still in effect, and I know for sure that I'll be there to take you out for the best vegetarian meal we can find in the city!).

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Condolences to you :(

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

A Sad Day in GWS chat.

On a happy note I'm about to go drink a hundred margaritas with SyfyHyphy and maybe Fax, and Pork Never Goes Bad if he's not too busy waxing his moustache.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

A Sad Day in GWS chat.

On a happy note I'm about to go drink a hundred margaritas with SyfyHyphy and maybe Fax, and Pork Never Goes Bad if he's not too busy waxing his moustache.

Yay margaritas and waxed moustaches

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

A Sad Day in GWS chat.

Are you going to that place that we went?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Are you going to that place that we went?

Sadly no, we went to somewhere I'd never been with great food and terrible drinks and now we're in a dive bar.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

Sadly no, we went to somewhere I'd never been with great food and terrible drinks and now we're in a dive bar.

With terrible food, to even it out?

Wiggles, I'm sorry about your grandma. :smith:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's not just Gourd, or Happy Hat. I haven't seen a lot of old regulars post in a long time. Charmmi, Worldmaker, PF, and Halal off the top of my head.

anyway, Vegetable Melange is next in line for ICSA hosting, I haven't heard from Azn Sensation. Are you interested VM?

Interested but broke. Give me a few days to figure out my cash flow and I'll be back.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Drink and Fight posted:

A Sad Day in GWS chat.

Were those boys / girls in pdx? I just got home. We made a raspberry sour at 39thousand feet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

Interested but broke. Give me a few days to figure out my cash flow and I'll be back.

I can sponsor a prize if you run the contest

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 26, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Rotimatic! Because gently caress making rotis I have to paint still lifes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfccHgWDb0

Yes that's right this machine is as important to women's quality of life as cell phones and birth control

:psyduck:

Browsing desi cooking forums:
http://www.paklinks.com/gs/household-affairs-and-cuisine-corner/613634-roti-paratha-help.html

quote:

Hubby is now insisting too much on home made rotis/chappattis! I have tried so much to learn from my mum and even my in laws tried to teach me but I still haven't got hang of it.

I tried making rotis at home too but it's either too hard or burnt. Shape tu door ki baat hai ..

My kneeding is okkie. It all comes to making roti process.

I have relied too much on shana chappattis and parathas and other brands. Even naan/pitta but hubby still remembers ghar ki roti!

I really want to make it and get it perfect but can't get around to it. Please help me :/

quote:

Get a roti maker. It's pretty decent. Will cost you about 50 dollars from amazon. The only thing is that because it's a press, you don't get the ballooning effect when you make roti the traditional way, so to don't get a top and bottom layers separated as you get in hand made roti. Other than that it's pretty OK.

quote:

No!!! Hubby will not be happy!

quote:

Have him make rotis if he has issues with your or want too many of them.

quote:

I m tired of roti making! Why can't men love rice!!

quote:

My thoughts exactly! I love rice but can't remember the last time I had it b/c hubby hates rice

It's like a time machine into 1960's America and being judged on your coffee :stare:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 26, 2013

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Fo3 posted:

If you're posting, you don't have depression based on personal experience - well not bad deep down as bad as it goes kind. But that's a good thing!
All this happened after you posted in AI didn't it?
Show the detective where the nasty AI touched you. :notfunny:

gently caress you, I'm practically catatonically depressed, and I can still post. Don't tell Dino what depression is. I'm just a lurker but he's great people, no one needs you telling them exactly how their mental/emotional state is *supposed* to play out. I know the threads just decided to ignore you and pass by your post for the most part, but as a severely depressed person your post really pissed me off.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

It's like a time machine into 1960's America and being judged on your coffee :stare:

Rotis: serious business

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

http://stopfuckingposting.com/www.gbsfood.com/1634356/

THANKS OBAMA

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sorry about your granny, Wiggles, hope she died like mine, old and grouchy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

gently caress you, I'm practically catatonically depressed, and I can still post. Don't tell Dino what depression is. I'm just a lurker but he's great people, no one needs you telling them exactly how their mental/emotional state is *supposed* to play out. I know the threads just decided to ignore you and pass by your post for the most part, but as a severely depressed person your post really pissed me off.

Apologies to you, but I meant from personal experience. I literally couldn't talk IRL for months, and couldn't bring myself to talk about issues even online - I'd type some BS then just delete it because it was the ramblings of a xxxxxxxx person.
Apologies to dino. too, I meant no harm and I am still dumb even if not so depressed. Everyone is different, and I was only trying to cheer him up in some way.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 26, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Not gonna lie, that rotibot is churning out some tasty looking rotis. That's worth $50 if you eat rotis all the time.

e: On the other hand a $6 tortilla press can make rotis just as good if you know how to cook a thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, a roti press is $50 (something like a tortilla press with one heated side), that rotimatic is still "coming soon" and they're not making the price public yet.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thanksgiving in my house is very traditional, the exact same dishes every year, turkey cooked and carved the old fashioned way, with breadcrumb/chestnut stuffing baked inside. I've been beating the "let's break up the turkey before cooking" drum for a few years now, but mom just won't hear it.

But... she had major surgery on Monday, and is going to be bedridden for a few weeks... and she suggested that she might let me cook the turkey any way I want this year. Oh boy oh boy I'm so excited to do it right! :neckbeard:

I've never been so grateful for a loved one to be so ill.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I got married two weeks ago, but I've never had a roti before. If I get this machine for my wife, will it tell me if I've made a huge mistake?

If I have, should I keep a roti as evidence against her in divorce court?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

We've been discussing the rotimatic. I figure if it's less than $300 and works, I'll probably buy one and just not bother eating any other kind of bread. Out of tortillas? Use a roti. Roti-quesadilla? Sure, why not? Crap, there's no bread for toast. That's okay, I'll just spread some peanut butter on this hot, fresh, roti.

If they can bring the price down within ten years or so, or if someone starts making them more cheaply, I absolutely expect them to save a lot of women a lot of time.

(PS the biggest invention on that list as an aid to women is probably the washing machine).

Anyway as I told ricola elsewhere, my only complaint is their claim about eating fewer calories. I would eat so many, many more calories. All the calories.

All the roti.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Vegetable Melange posted:

Were those boys / girls in pdx? I just got home. We made a raspberry sour at 39thousand feet.

No, we are in Oakland. Syfy and I drank all the bourbon and I look like I lost a fight with a wood chipper and I might still be drunk so I think we had a great time.

Tonight we're all going to eat Szechuan and probably get lovely again.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Oh man, I just got spoiled. I have a bunch of Vietnamese students, and I love Vietnamese food so sometimes we talk after school about how awesome Vietnamese food is and they laugh at me trying to pronounce the names of things. I can say pho right now, that's about it.

So anyhow one of the kids shared with her mom about it and her mom was all, "want to come try some Vietnamese food?" and I said hell yes. So we meet in Little Saigon and have dim sum at this Chinese/Vietnamese place, and then she takes me to all these places that are the best bahn mi place, best pho place, best supermarket, best fruit stand, and so on. Completely spoiled me and my husband buying us things to try. I can't even count all the stuff we tried that we'd never had before. Jellyfish, sea snails (two kinds!), little jelly candies, jackfruit, mangosteen, rambutan, these little green fruits that were kind of like grapes with thick skins. The only things we saw and didn't try were balut and durian. The first one because we were just too full, and the second because well, meh.

Jellyfish was way different than I was expecting. Also, it was funny how many things I saw that I recognized as Filipino food. Like puto (but I think it was called bo?).

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, bánh ḅ. I buy some whenever I see them available.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

I got married two weeks ago, but I've never had a roti before. If I get this machine for my wife, will it tell me if I've made a huge mistake?

If I have, should I keep a roti as evidence against her in divorce court?

You've got it all wrong. Get her to make roti for you from scratch; if she can't, and needs a machine, then you've made a terrible mistake.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

quote:

I have tried posting signs, yet they still seem to find a way into my yard to harvest everything from nettles and catmint to borage and grape leaves. I even built a six-foot tall fence, but they are still managing to get in.
I have called the offending restaurants to ask them to tell their sous chefs to stop trespassing, but so far they seem undeterred. I have also offered to let them onto my property with my supervision, but they mostly seem to come out while I'm at work so everything can be prepped for their dinner service.
It was fine when they were just harvesting pineapple weed and mallow from the alley and the parking strip, although it was admittedly a little off-putting. I'm also totally cool with them picking the crab apples because some of the branches are in the public right of way. But yesterday my neighbor called to let me know she had to help a sous chef who got stuck on top of my fence holding a baggie full of chicory leaves.
I get that part of living in inner SE is dealing with locavore sous chefs and all the problems that follow them, but it is frustrating and kind of scary knowing that they are constantly combing my yard for garnishes while I'm away.
Also, I know all of this sounds silly, and I'll admit that it's a total first-world problem. But I'm being completely serious. I'm afraid that if I called the police about this, they would either laugh me off the phone or accuse me of making poo poo up. Any ideas?

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo:

link

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

That's the most amazing thing I've ever read.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

loving lol forever. The Onion and reality continue to converge.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I love how it's specifically sous chefs... stealing herbs from the parking lot at the bank is what I did as an entry-level line cook...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
That must be a joke. It must be!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I just made some tempeh, and once I was done I realized that it might have been a good idea to document the process here. Is that a thread people might be interested in? I don't know how exciting 'add inoculant to hulled soybeans, wait' is, but detailed instructions aren't really out there in English as far as I can tell.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yes, do it. We love cultured foods around here.

Also, tempeh can be a bitch to prepare properly.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

a dozen swans posted:

I just made some tempeh, and once I was done I realized that it might have been a good idea to document the process here. Is that a thread people might be interested in? I don't know how exciting 'add inoculant to hulled soybeans, wait' is, but detailed instructions aren't really out there in English as far as I can tell.
To be honest, one could say that making yoghurt is "heat milk, add starter, wait", or that roasting a chicken is "get chicken, throw it in the oven, wait". There's a fair few steps involved in the interim (how chunky to get the soy beans, how much starter to add, what shape to make the thing, etc etc) that wouldn't be covered, especially if you've has a successful batch.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Alright, cool! I'll document the next batch I make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I tried to make some ~6 months ago and it didn't turn out too good. I think it was a combination of overcooking the beans and using chana dal instead of soybeans (so the taste & texture were a bit off). I'd definitely like to get it right since that's one of my favorite foods & it's a bit expensive to buy at the grocery but cheap to make.