Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Oh. Well good luck with that poo poo. Every time someone gets a e-mail from a file sharing service around here from a known customer who they know uses that service they automatically forward it to me and ask "Should I open this".

Yay.

I don't mind that, it's easy to reply with "Yep" and at least they are asking instead of opening everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Renegret posted:

I got told off by a supervisor when I re-wrote and distributed new search macros for the department without "consulting a supervisor first so they can make sure it won't break the database".

Of course, one of the old macros I replaced used about fifty != statements and would take several minutes to query because it ran through 11 loving years of tickets. My macros returned more relevant tickets and ran in less than a second. I can't even think of a way to tax the database more than the old macros, they were the worst case scenario I could possibly come up with.

I'm the only person in the department with software development and database experience, but the supervisors are so busy playing office politics that they won't actually let me put my skills to good use and would rather have me sit there and be a good little computer secretary. I've since learned that if I plan on doing something to make things better, just pass it around under the table and eventually everyone who matters will get a hold of it. Once the supervisors who are out to get me get wind of it, it'll already be part of everyone's workflow and they won't be able to bitch me out.

I'm still keeping my "push this button to make this 2 hour report run in 15 minutes" a secret though so I can get 2 hours of work credit while I browse the forums.
I had a similarish situation at my first "real job". It had to do with programming Access macros, and holy poo poo I couldn't believe the shitstorm I caused. Part of it came from the fact that I wasn't in the IS department. Part because I was younger than most staff. Most of it is that the vast majority of office workers don't comprehend general-use computing. Like why just use Access as an electronic filing system ... when you can programme it to automate tasks. They literally had a team of 6 people combing records for 6 weeks for certain criteria and cleaning up contact lists. I poo poo you not.

I set up a series of queries to turn it into less than an hour of work for just me, with perfect accurate results.

The "IT lady" tried to get me fired, and a bunch of executives considered me a liability and were generally skeptical. Luckily my immediate supervisor (after an hour or so of explaining, with diagrams) understood what I was doing and went to bat for me.

That set up my exit from the company though. I'd already had issues with IT blocking every attempt I had at suggesting/implementing the smallest tools improving efficiency. But the fact that the company wouldn't acknowledge how much time and money I saved them, on a product that was already late and overbudget, infuriated me. At some point I said, "look, I could probably find a lot more ways to speed this stuff up, would the company consider buying me a $35 book on Access macros?" and got refused. So I found a new job.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

That set up my exit from the company though. I'd already had issues with IT blocking every attempt I had at suggesting/implementing the smallest tools improving efficiency. But the fact that the company wouldn't acknowledge how much time and money I saved them, on a product that was already late and overbudget, infuriated me. At some point I said, "look, I could probably find a lot more ways to speed this stuff up, would the company consider buying me a $35 book on Access macros?" and got refused. So I found a new job.

I can understand why IT were resistant.

Once you're gone, nobody there will know what the gently caress your macros do, but the users will become reliant on it. When it breaks they will look to IT to fix it and them some poor sod has to go and debug your code, figuring out what it's supposed to do and trying to sort it, or just tell the users they don't support fixing the macros and then everyone is hosed.

Access is particularly bad for creating this sort of situation to the point that many IT folk have a blanket ban on user-created Access databases.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

This program was built by pharamacists, for pharmacists:

My GF saw the thumbnail of this over my shoulder and asked if I was posting about SAP again.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Whales posted:

So that mess took a day or so to clean up and then everyone had to read a paper about email headers, what a file extension is and when to not open an attachment. It's now in our company handbook that opening a file ending in .exe constitues an act of gross misconduct and may be subject to immediate dismissal. I assume it's implied that this doesn't apply to, y'know, all the programs that we use.

Opening an dodgy attachment is nowhere near gross misconduct and actually firing someone for it will get you laughed out of court pretty much anywhere that isn't the more terrible parts of the US. This is just blaming the employees for the employer's mistakes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lum posted:

I can understand why IT were resistant.

Once you're gone, nobody there will know what the gently caress your macros do, but the users will become reliant on it. When it breaks they will look to IT to fix it and them some poor sod has to go and debug your code, figuring out what it's supposed to do and trying to sort it, or just tell the users they don't support fixing the macros and then everyone is hosed.

Access is particularly bad for creating this sort of situation to the point that many IT folk have a blanket ban on user-created Access databases.
That would be a legit reason, but I promise you that isn't what she was thinking of. The lady hated me ever since I innocently offered to help her set up some new computers that were badly needed and had been sitting in their boxes for a month. (That was my impression, and it was later confirmed when her friends decided they liked me better.)

The main thing is that there was barely any code to debug -- it was so retardedly simple, and thoroughly documented, such as it was.

I mean, I see what you're saying, but this is the kind of poo poo they should have been doing regardless. Anyone with the most basic understanding of programming, like a grade 10 course, should have been able to do this. It was probably less complicated than most Excel formulas.

They were literally having people comb over 100000+ records, look for keywords, and check off boxes on those lines. The most complicated thing I did was notate when there were multiple records that needed to be deleted -- that was where the hour of human effort came in.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 25, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

teethgrinder posted:

I mean, I see what you're saying, but this is the kind of poo poo they should have been doing regardless. Anyone with the most basic understanding of programming, like a grade 10 course, should have been able to do this. It was probably less complicated than most Excel formulas.
Most businesses (reasonably) want stuff like this under the control of their IT department instead of having business operations depend on unaudited VBA that lives in a spreadsheet somewhere, because it's usually a complete shock when you get an urgent email at 10PM on a Friday because accounting can't process payroll without your macro working and nobody's ever heard of it before.

Edit:

I know this sounds like a slippery slope, but development is perceived as being unnecessarily slow in most businesses (since they often want actual requirements), and when the unit secretary next to you sees your VBA abomination and asks you to do her a favor without going through all the approval and paperwork, and... All of a sudden you're the go-to for office drones who "need" an application that IT hasn't gotten around to, and it quickly becomes a mess.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 25, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

teethgrinder posted:

I had a similarish situation at my first "real job". It had to do with programming Access macros, and holy poo poo I couldn't believe the shitstorm I caused. Part of it came from the fact that I wasn't in the IS department. Part because I was younger than most staff. Most of it is that the vast majority of office workers don't comprehend general-use computing. Like why just use Access as an electronic filing system ... when you can programme it to automate tasks. They literally had a team of 6 people combing records for 6 weeks for certain criteria and cleaning up contact lists. I poo poo you not.

I set up a series of queries to turn it into less than an hour of work for just me, with perfect accurate results.

The "IT lady" tried to get me fired, and a bunch of executives considered me a liability and were generally skeptical. Luckily my immediate supervisor (after an hour or so of explaining, with diagrams) understood what I was doing and went to bat for me.

It's office politics like this is what makes me wish I paid more attention to the drama that went on in High School. Said supervisor who is out to get me told me one day that my generation is lazy and doesn't deserve social security, but of course his generation works hard and deserves it. I didn't even know how to respond to that so I opted for a blank stare. One of the other supervisors confirmed that he's hates me but nobody can figure out why. Hell, one day he complained that I was typing too fast into a god drat Word document on a time sensitive issue.

This is my first real job as well, before this I was working retail. I'm by far the youngest person in my department by about seven years. My 18-24 year old retail co-workers were by far more mature and easier to work with than the 30-something married-with-kids in an office environment. I feel like in 10 years I'm going to have a similar story as teethgrinder.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 25, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Renegret posted:

One of the other supervisors confirmed that he's hates me but nobody can figure out why.
Are you sure you're not still in retail?

Renegret posted:

Hell, one day he complained that I was typing too fast into a god drat Word document on a time sensitive issue.
It sounds like there's more to this story. Most "time sensitive issues" aren't "complete as quickly as possible", and he may have been concerned about your accuracy or tone. It's not always cut and dry.

Renegret posted:

I'm by far the youngest person in my department by about seven years. My 18-24 year old retail co-workers were by far more mature and easier to work with than the 30-something married-with-kids in an office environment.
The problem might be you. Office environments are very different from retail. I've been the youngest person on my team by 20 years before. I never felt out of place because of it. The idea that you have a supervisor who's "out to get you" is indicative of that, really. In "office politics", supervisors who are "out to get you" find reasons to write you up and fire you, and they're only "out to get you" if you make problems for them. Management is not vindictive.

Renegret posted:

I feel like in 10 years I'm going to have a similar story as teethgrinder.
Work inside the boundaries of your position and you won't have a similar story. Or don't get a chip on your shoulder about what you're doing and present it to the IT department instead. teethgrinder's situation isn't a problem because he's younger than most staff, or because office workers don't understand general-use computing. It's because undocumented poo poo causes headaches for everyone. The IT department isn't being curmudgeons about it. They've been through a messy situation because somebody's "general purpose" Access application has blown up in their faces before.

To be blunt, this post reads like "I'm a special snowflake who doesn't understand how people interact in an office." Instead of pretending like you know exactly how things are supposed to work in your first office job, try letting go of your preconceived notions about what you should and shouldn't be allowed to do and how your supervisor should and shouldn't treat you and just go with the flow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Renegret posted:

This is my first real job as well, before this I was working retail. I'm by far the youngest person in my department by about seven years. My 18-24 year old retail co-workers were by far more mature and easier to work with than the 30-something married-with-kids in an office environment. I feel like in 10 years I'm going to have a similar story as teethgrinder.
30-somethings? :laugh: Wait until you run into a 55-65 year-old executive assistant who refuses to give a gently caress about learning the tools to do her own job yet still thinks she's The Greatest Generation or whateverthefuck and has worked harder her entire life than you could possibly imagine and also I can't print out these excel sheets legibly and I have to have them ready for a big executive meeting in 5 minutes! :supaburn:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

evol262 posted:

To be blunt, this post reads like "I'm a special snowflake who doesn't understand how people interact in an office." Instead of pretending like you know exactly how things are supposed to work in your first office job, try letting go of your preconceived notions about what you should and shouldn't be allowed to do and how your supervisor should and shouldn't treat you and just go with the flow.

It really wasn't intended like that, sorry. The truth is I keep my mouth shut at work, it only sounds like I'm trying to run the place because I'm venting right now. I'm intentionally omitting the wordy and uninteresting office politics stories.

Also the time sensitive issue really was "get this done as fast as possible" situation, typed in word for the spell check before going through a process that had two additional people proofread it for errors before it became official. Telling someone they type too fast is nothing more than nit picking at a non-issue, especially if you're going to complain about a five minute delay.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

evol262 posted:

It sounds like there's more to this story. Most "time sensitive issues" aren't "complete as quickly as possible", and he may have been concerned about your accuracy or tone. It's not always cut and dry.

The problem might be you. Office environments are very different from retail. I've been the youngest person on my team by 20 years before. I never felt out of place because of it. The idea that you have a supervisor who's "out to get you" is indicative of that, really. In "office politics", supervisors who are "out to get you" find reasons to write you up and fire you, and they're only "out to get you" if you make problems for them. Management is not vindictive.

Not sure where you've worked, but I've been in plenty of situations where things are a last minute scramble to implement something and having my manager saying "Who cares, just get it up and running before *time/date*, we'll work out the kinks later".

I've also had higher ups do some petty poo poo to people because they didn't care for them. At the last place I was at, the CEO had me let go first when the hospital was getting ready to close. The reason he gave was that I was lazy and didn't do anything (which was completely baffling to everyone else since I was hands down the hardest worker there). It later came out that he had been trying for over a year to have me fired. That seems to coincide with me refusing to work on his family's personal systems a year or so prior, since the rear end in a top hat wouldn't even so much as give me a Thank You, let alone pay me.

Coyo7e posted:

Wait until you run into a 55-65 year-old executive assistant who refuses to give a gently caress about learning the tools to do her own job...
Eh, I see this from people much younger than I (I'm 34), so it's not just old folks being stubborn. Many folks are just lazy and will look to pass poo poo off to others the first opportunity they get.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evol262 posted:

The idea that you have a supervisor who's "out to get you" is indicative of that, really. In "office politics", supervisors who are "out to get you" find reasons to write you up and fire you, and they're only "out to get you" if you make problems for them. Management is not vindictive.

Management in an organization is not designed to be vindictive. Individual managers, however, absolutely can be; I've been the target of such myself, and I'm certain the only reason my boss didn't fire me was that I was the only one who could do the job on which he had staked his reputation. And being a narcissist, his problem with me took a backseat to his pet project getting out the door so he could look good.

It could be that in Renegret's case, the supervisor isn't out to get him specifically, but is more disgruntled with the younger generation in general. The "your generation doesn't deserve social security" remark supports that, though that could just be your run of the mill conservative hypocrisy that you can find anywhere.

The advice to keep your head down and go with the flow, doing only your own job, doesn't sit very well with me, though. If you want stability and you are content with your position in a company, sure. If you want to advance and get noticed, I like Teethgrinder's approach better (though it would have been appropriate to make a proposal first, if this was outside his normal duties). Yeah, when you make waves, it's going to piss some people off, but it may impress the important ones. Or in his case, he found out that nobody in the company with any power gave a poo poo, at which point he moved to a (presumably) better company.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Che Delilas posted:

The advice to keep your head down and go with the flow, doing only your own job, doesn't sit very well with me, though. If you want stability and you are content with your position in a company, sure. If you want to advance and get noticed, I like Teethgrinder's approach better (though it would have been appropriate to make a proposal first, if this was outside his normal duties). Yeah, when you make waves, it's going to piss some people off, but it may impress the important ones. Or in his case, he found out that nobody in the company with any power gave a poo poo, at which point he moved to a (presumably) better company.
The idea is to shut the gently caress up about how they're out to get you and how management has an axe to grind, and instead to expand the scope of your position through politicking so the stuff you want to do is actually part of your job and not some skunkworks poo poo that doesn't have backing from anyone but people whose opinions don't matter. Not that stability and being content with your position are the ideal. You need to learn how to make the system work for you, even if you don't like how it works, and that's where all this is going wrong.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Renegret posted:

Take my advice and move now. Politics and "you should stay in a job a year" be dammed. You're doing nobody any favours staying on a course that makes you bitter.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Che Delilas posted:

I've been telling the story badly because ... I didn't expect this to blow up, and it was a while ago. I absolutely did make a proposal first before applying this to the active project. I figured out how to do it, documented it, demonstrated how quickly the work could be done to a variety of people at different levels. And the only reason I could go through with it, was because my immediate supervisor "got it". I sewed distrust and/or anger with everyone else for showing initiative.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

teethgrinder posted:

I've been telling the story badly because ... I didn't expect this to blow up, and it was a while ago. I absolutely did make a proposal first before applying this to the active project. I figured out how to do it, documented it, demonstrated how quickly the work could be done to a variety of people at different levels. And the only reason I could go through with it, was because my immediate supervisor "got it". I sewed distrust and/or anger with everyone else for showing initiative.

Yeah, sounds like you made the right choice to leave then. People like us who want to learn and grow and improve are anathema in an office full of people who just want to show up, put in their 8 hours, and go home to drink. After a point it becomes clear that there's no working within that system unless you want to become one of those people.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.
This thread is giving me flashbacks to my network support days.
And for anyone who's in the know about this, I'm curious: When you have, say, pirated OS software on your work machines(as my company did) and it gets reported to the publisher, what happens to the company?

TheHitman21
Apr 8, 2009

The Oncoming Storm posted:

This thread is giving me flashbacks to my network support days.
And for anyone who's in the know about this, I'm curious: When you have, say, pirated OS software on your work machines(as my company did) and it gets reported to the publisher, what happens to the company?
They get the proverbial proctology exam and massive fines.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TheHitman21 posted:

They get the proverbial proctology exam and massive fines.

And what happens if you tell them where they can shove their proverbial finger and say "no, you can't look at my computers."

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

stubblyhead posted:

And what happens if you tell them where they can shove their proverbial finger and say "no, you can't look at my computers."

They then find the squirrel route into your network with lots of lawyers you'll be paying for. Ever buy an MSDN subscription? Guess what, if that's linked to your business you just gave permission for an audit.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So at work we've managed to make a self-feeding cycle of despair that would be entertaining if we weren't in the middle of it. It is actually incredible how resilient it is.

I think we are finally starting to reach the point where upper management is starting to figure out that saving money by keeping staff levels low will eventually bite you in the rear end.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

They then find the squirrel route into your network with lots of lawyers you'll be paying for. Ever buy an MSDN subscription? Guess what, if that's linked to your business you just gave permission for an audit.

You may have done, but I still don't see how Microsoft can compel a business to allow their representatives into the building. A civil contract doesn't override criminal law, so if they force their way in then it's still breaking and entering + trespassing.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

rolleyes posted:

You may have done, but I still don't see how Microsoft can compel a business to allow their representatives into the building. A civil contract doesn't override criminal law, so if they force their way in then it's still breaking and entering + trespassing.

Might still be able to get a judge to issue an injunction to allow the reps into the building for an audit?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also saying no to an audit is pretty much a red reg to a bull and will make whoever's behind it more determined to gently caress you over somehow.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
And it will also open up the C levels and the board of directors for legal action too. Because everybody is used at people occasionally breaking laws in business, it just comes with the territory and as long as you aren't particularly malicious about it and accept your fine companies are usually let off with a slap on the wrist. But if you try to block investigations the lawyers will quickly throw accusations of intent at you and what may have once been cleared with a week's profit worth of fines now leads to jail sentences.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Also Microsoft is effectively a loving mafia in mamy regards (not literally) but will guaranteed bully the absolute poo poo out of your company to press for the audit. Historically from a legal perspective Microsoft will only mess with a company with the deck extremely stacked in their favor.

So no, you don't have to allow their employees on your property but boy are they going to run up your company's bills intentionally through lawsuits or otherwise just to send the message of "get hosed".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Got an email around midnight that one of our managers was staying at an airbnb and his briefcase was stolen. Had his laptop in it. This person refuses to put his critical files on the network and when Syncback fails never lets me work on it. I've been warning him for three years that if he doesn't protect his files he'll be boned if his HD dies or he loses his laptop. Ah well.

He made sure to copy in my old boss, the head of Ops when he sent the email, because of... reasons. Anyway I'm at work this fine Saturday morning prepping a replacement and this fuckhead refuses to reply to my emails, won't answer his cell and his mobile VM box is full. A slob in real life and in the virtual world.

This is looking less and less like an urgent matter. I don't even know what city this shitbird is in to send him the laptop.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

rolleyes posted:

I did not literally mean hacking, I meant that there are legal options available to compel because noone reads EULAs or contacts.

SiliconCow
Jul 14, 2001
Got woken up by a text this morning from my manager to send an email about an event that hadn't even triggered an alert. I'm now calling these emails "apologizing for the rain" after this article http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2013/10/want-people-to-trust-you-try.html.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

madsushi posted:

CF, how is it that you are the architect of all of these complex enterprise systems, but you don't have enough autonomy to check a user's PC when you think there's a virus without asking your boss?

I was recently told that I "Fix too many things myself" and "don't communicate to my other peers enough" So since my boss complained I need to route thing through him... It's great being told by the VP "Dilbert, you and $person$ hold more vmware/net/storage knowledge than anyone in the company, mind being a jack of all trades?"

Side rant: It is great that people refuse any IP storage even if you prove them wrong. "well X was told to me by sales rep from intel so I will back that!"

I really try to be more "here is the problem, here is what fixes it" but poo poo even students I teach are more receptive than some of my coworkers...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 27, 2013

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

evol262 posted:

Management is not vindictive.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No really, tell me another one. Not all management is vindictive, but to blanket statement say that any management is not vindictive is bullshit.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Dick Trauma posted:

He made sure to copy in my old boss, the head of Ops when he sent the email, because of... reasons. Anyway I'm at work this fine Saturday morning prepping a replacement and this fuckhead refuses to reply to my emails, won't answer his cell and his mobile VM box is full. A slob in real life and in the virtual world.
So you are of course CCing your email of "hey I've called you a dozen times and you haven't picked up, your voicemail's full, and you haven't answered any of my emails asking for information critical to getting you a suitable replacement laptop" to these same higher-ups, right?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yes! I spent a few hours prepping things, installing the special stuff the manager needs and getting his email and files synced up. I left around 11:30 and that's when he finally decided to start replying. I went home, came back around 2:30p and finished things up in time to get it all shipped off to him for Monday morning. I guess I'll leave work early Monday to balance things out.

Shitbird aside he got drat good service from me, probably better than he'd have received at most places.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gunjin posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No really, tell me another one. Not all management is vindictive, but to blanket statement say that any management is not vindictive is bullshit.

Not all generalizations are equal. "Management is not vindictive" is a generalized statement which means "the interests of management align with the company more often than they're about having pissing matches with their subordinates". Some people, and hence some managers, are certainly vindictive people. "Management" as a whole doesn't refer to individual people. It refers to an organizational distinction.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

evol262 posted:

Not all generalizations are equal. "Management is not vindictive" is a generalized statement which means "the interests of management align with the company more often than they're about having pissing matches with their subordinates". Some people, and hence some managers, are certainly vindictive people. "Management" as a whole doesn't refer to individual people. It refers to an organizational distinction.

I still agree with the people who have said that you can't expect that generalisation to be true, even when you're referring to "management, the process" rather than "management, the people". There are organisations out there which are outright hostile by policy to any of their staff below a certain level. These are usually minimum wage, unskilled jobs where they know that for every one of you there are two more waiting to be hired when they fire you, so they can hang the threat of losing your job over minor infractions over your head for the entire duration of your employment with them.

Basically, call centres.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

rolleyes posted:

I still agree with the people who have said that you can't expect that generalisation to be true, even when you're referring to "management, the process" rather than "management, the people".
It's "management, the organizational unit", which implies both policy and group dynamics. Individual managers may be egotistical and vindictive, but good organizations cull the herd. Management isn't out to get you.

rolleyes posted:

There are organisations out there which are outright hostile by policy to any of their staff below a certain level. These are usually minimum wage, unskilled jobs where they know that for every one of you there are two more waiting to be hired when they fire you, so they can hang the threat of losing your job over minor infractions over your head for the entire duration of your employment with them.

This is an entirely different argument. Vindictive isn't hostile, and hostile isn't vindictive, though there's overlap. "You're replaceable and we have no hesitation firing you" is not at all the same as "my boss is out to get me".

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've always operated on the assumption that my boss is out to get me, and if it turns out to not be true, well, then, it's a pleasant surprise. Paranoia has served me well over the last couple decades, so I see no reason to change how I operate.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

evol262 posted:

but good organizations

And that's why the generalisation can't be taken as 100% true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

rolleyes posted:

And that's why the generalisation can't be taken as 100% true.

It's like you didn't even read the second half of the post. And generalizations are generally true. They are not tautologies.

Please don't take generalized career/how to survive and advance in an office on environment advice as "he says bosses are nice in 100% of cases and mine wasn't!"

evol262 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 27, 2013

• Locked thread