Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I've had more success with games if both parties just wait a second before hitting the pass priority or continue button. It seems to be mostly when someone hits it as soon as it appears that it locks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Tamba posted:

No, that sounds about right. Actually completing a game definitely is rarer than the priority bug triggering.

I've had really good luck this evening. I've finished almost every single game. Perhaps the priority bug has to do with load? (I doubt lots of people are on now)

Edit: I just had a game of pack raptors vs wild/blood shin'hare. There was blood everywhere as two murderous hoards crashed into each other. Unfortunately, we didn't get to finish. :( Still amazing game with so many amazing moments.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 26, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Afgad posted:

I've had really good luck this evening. I've finished almost every single game. Perhaps the priority bug has to do with load? (I doubt lots of people are on now)

It seems to. There were almost no priority crashes right before they let all you whippersnappers in.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, who's who on the game now? I rolled up DMW45.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I've had more success with games if both parties just wait a second before hitting the pass priority or continue button. It seems to be mostly when someone hits it as soon as it appears that it locks up.

I found the same to be true in AI games - it seems that the source of the bug is some sort of sync error between the server and the client. The server is waiting for you to click on the pass priority button but the client has already gotten rid of it so it gets stuck.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Adar posted:

If you lose cards, try to log back in with a wrong password then type in the correct one. Seems to reset it.

Thanks for this tip, that did bring my built decks into the list for when challenging.

Agreed on the "patience to avoid pass priority bug" discussion as well. When playing against the AI I just let it sit for a bit at each pass and the bug seems a lot rarer.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

When did they say they were going to implement guilds? Sometime in Alpha?

Also, to reopen that discussion, I'm voting for Hexagoon. That's just too excellent.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Afgad posted:

Also, to reopen that discussion, I'm voting for Hexagoon. That's just too excellent.

Yeah, Hexagoon is the only real choice in that discussion.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Afgad posted:

Yup, last I heard guilds were going to be in before beta.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Is there a way to cancel an action after you've selected it? I ended up having to use repel on my own attacker since I didn't notice the defender had spellshield. I find I'm also running into that missing cards bug almost every single match.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Is there a way to cancel an action after you've selected it? I ended up having to use repel on my own attacker since I didn't notice the defender had spellshield. I find I'm also running into that missing cards bug almost every single match.

I don't think there is yet. I was playing against a friend and he accidentally did a quick action that he ended up having to use on himself as it couldn't apply to any of my cards and in the same game I mistakenly used a +8/+8 that can only be applied to a defending card during my attack phase. I had to give his defended a +8/+8 gift.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So how about some deck talk? I've made a ton of decks, and so far I think this one is the strongest:

Blood Component
13x Blood shard
3x Shamed Gladiator (Socketed to give you a card whenever it does damage to a champion -> this means when you play it you get a card, because it does 2 damage to you.)
3x Xentoth's Inquisitor (Socketed to deal damage equal to attack on summoning)
3x Misfortune
1x Murder
4x Life Siphon
3x Giant Corpse Fly

Sapphire Component
13x Sapphire shard
4x Eldritch Dream (Also socketed to give cards when it does damage)
2x Time Ripple
4x Buccanneer
3x Oracle Song
4x Flock of Seagulls

This deck wins against the computer pretty close to 100% of the time, and I rarely have to mulligan. The idea behind this deck is just having pure card advantage. It's all about efficiently using your own resources vs. bogging down the other guy.

Shamed gladiators, if you get them out early, almost always yield 2+ cards. Even if they never touch the enemy champ, at the very least, they are 2 health for 1 card and a 2/2 troop, which is pretty solid on its own. Xentoth's inquisitor is a counter to cards that remove troops and put them back into your hand. Every time that happens, he just deals 3 more damage to the enemy champ when he comes back into play. He's also good at suicidal assaults to take out larger troops with only 3 health. Who cares if he dies? You just put him back out and do 3 damage again.

Misfortune, Corpse Fly, and Oracle Song are to give you an even crazier card advantage. They're going to be praying the one card they draw into their empty hand is something useful. Meanwhile, you'll be at hand limit all game.

Buccanneer is basically a better version of Time Ripple, and they both serve the same purpose: get troops out of the way of your card-generating Shamed Gladiators and Eldritch Dreams.

Flock of Seagulls is probably the best wall in the game. Without them, flying cards walked all over me. Murder is there just in case you run into a hulking dinosaur or something (and is likely to be removed in subsequent iterations). Life Siphon is a victory condition: This deck almost always gets to turn 6-8, and by then one or two life siphons should win the game for you. Also better than murder in most situations.

Anyway it performs very well, and I'm constantly tinkering with it. I'm not overly impressed with Eldritch Dream so far, so I'm thinking of swapping it for something else. But I don't know what else fits the theme very well.

Edit: I hope I used the jargon "card advantage" right. I'm still not used to the lingo.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You might want to put some Extinctions into your deck, probably instead of the Misfortunes to help against aggressive decks with many low cost creatures. They can dump their whole hand on the board before you can force them to discard.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Well, here's my deck.

Blood x12
4x Blood Bearer
4x Shin'hare Eulogist
4x Hideous Conversion
4x Wretched Brood
4x Murder

Diamond x12
4x Adamanthine Scrivener
4x Righteous Paladin
4x Living Totem
4x Command Tower

Everything in this deck was specifically picked to work with everything else.

Adamanthine Scrivener cancels out the life drain of Wretched Brood, and with more than one scrivener, I actually gain life through the deal. Blood Bearer makes me gain life whenever they leave the field just like the scrivener gives me life when they enter it, Hideous Conversion lets me turn the Battle Hoppers into excess mana and heal myself while I'm at it, the mana can be funneled into the Living Totem and the sacrifice itself powers up the Shin'hare Eulogist. And for every one of those heals, Righteous Paladin gets +1/+1. Command Tower makes the Battle Hoppers have a use so they can attack, and Murder is for pesky troops that I need to get rid of.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 28, 2013

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Afgad posted:

snip

The deck seems plausible enough, but I 100% agree on Extinction. It needs to be there. A good Extinction will build you some great advantage as well. You might also want to consider Yesterday, especially since you have a lot of comes-into-play effects.

I'm also not sure what this deck does against fast aggro, as written. A turn 1 Gas Troll, for instance. Bounce it a lot?

Beating the ai is a good way to test basic viability, but considering it is dinglers it's own troops constantly, I wouldn't put too much stock into besting it.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 28, 2013

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Adar posted:

If you lose cards, try to log back in with a wrong password then type in the correct one. Seems to reset it.

It seems like this isn't fixed by typing the wrong password, but just by waiting long enough. That's also why this bug mostly affects people who've changed their passwords...they're just faster than people who need to look up their password from the email every time.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 28, 2013

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Yeah, it seems that you can "beat" your collection to the deck editor screen, so I now wait like 10 seconds before logging in as well as another 10 before going to my collection screen and I've had no problems.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Tamba posted:

You might want to put some Extinctions into your deck, probably instead of the Misfortunes to help against aggressive decks with many low cost creatures. They can dump their whole hand on the board before you can force them to discard.

Thanks for the tip. I actually had one in there, but I ended up taking it out because the AI just doesn't field creatures fast enough for them to ever get the advantage on me.

Unfortunately, I play mostly in my spare time at work (I frequently have nothing to do). But I have to be able to go afk at a moment's notice, which means I can't test much against people. That's probably why I didn't see the weakness against fast aggressive decks.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I bought the slacker pack through the company's website (after the Kickstarter). I haven't received an invite yet. Should I have received one?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dahbadu posted:

I bought the slacker pack through the company's website (after the Kickstarter). I haven't received an invite yet. Should I have received one?

No. So far it's still at the $250 and up level. You've probably got a couple more months to wait at least.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Just played 5 games post-patch, and only 1 got priority bugged. Looking pretty good.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Go RV! posted:

Just played 5 games post-patch, and only 1 got priority bugged. Looking pretty good.

Yeah, I've had a game look like it froze for a few seconds--only for the button to appear just before I went to quit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is anyone else getting a bug where the deck they select for pvp matches isn't the deck they load up with? It seems that no matter what I choose, I'm likely to just get the deck at the top of my "list," which at first meant an all-red inspire deck but now (after I deleted that deck) means the default dwarf/robot sample deck, not exactly what you want to head into matches with.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Go RV! posted:

I'm actually getting a ton more priority bugs. Yesterday I only bugged once the whole day (and I played all day). Today I haven't been able to finish a single game.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So, I've decided to throw together an artifact deck for the hell of it. So far it's going alright, but I've got too many cards, and I dunno what to cut. Any tips?

10x Sapphire
10x Ruby

4x Charge Bot
4x War Machinist
4x Malfunctioning War Bot
4x Research Librarian
4x Pterobot
2x Slaughtergear, Renegade War Factory

4x Nuts and Bolts
4x Plan C

4x Dwarven Turbine
4x Dwarven Armory
4x Ivory Pawn
4x Surge Mechanism
4x Volcannon
2x Worker Bot Factory

The idea is to take advantage of Dwarven Turbine, basically. I can use it with Volcannon for steady burn damage, with Ivory Pawn for steady healing, with Surge Mechanism and Plan C to build up an army of bots quickly, and an Armory to build them up.

After playing a test game, I'm not sure if Surge Mechanism is very feasible for this, so I'm thinking I may drop that and Plan C and replace them with Hex Engine and some burn cards.

In any case, any tips?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Here's the deck I've been successful with:

14 Diamond
10 Blood (originally had it at 12/12, but a game where I had a full hand of cards with 2 white threshold taught me better)

4 Adamatine Scrivener
4 Righteous Paladin
4 Inner Conflict
3 Immortality
4 Eternal Youth
4 Protectorate Defender, socketed with life gain
2 King Gabriel

4 Pact of Pain
4 Extinction
4 Life Syphon

The champion is the "Pay two life, draw a card" one.
Win conditions are extremely buffing a Paladin, Life Syphon, or King Gabriel (theoretically...I've never actually gotten to use him yet).
Also, casting 3 Eternal Youths in a single turn really feels like cheating :haw:

e: vvv fixed, also I'm thinking about dropping one of the Pacts for another Blood resource

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 31, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tamba posted:

14 Diamond
10 Ruby (originally had it at 12/12, but a game where I had a full hand of cards with 2 white threshold taught me better)

4 Adamatine Scrivener
4 Righteous Paladin
4 Inner Conflict
3 Immortality
4 Eternal Youth
2 King Gabriel

4 Pact of Pain
4 Extinction
4 Life Syphon

Win conditions are extremely buffing a Paladin, Life Syphon, or King Gabriel (theoretically...I've never actually gotten to use him yet).
Also, casting 3 Eternal Youths in a single turn really feels like cheating :haw:
Seems like you might want Blood resources, rather than Ruby? Also, all your Blood cards need two Threshold, so being lighter on those seems...subpar.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Seems like you might want Blood resources, rather than Ruby? Also, all your Blood cards need two Threshold, so being lighter on those seems...subpar.

It's not that bad. The deck has so much life gain and Immortality that I can usually survive quite long without blood. But if I don't get two diamond, I'm dead.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Tamba posted:

14 Diamond
10 Blood (originally had it at 12/12, but a game where I had a full hand of cards with 2 white threshold taught me better)

4 Adamatine Scrivener
4 Righteous Paladin
4 Inner Conflict
3 Immortality
4 Eternal Youth
4 Protectorate Defender, socketed with life gain
2 King Gabriel

4 Pact of Pain
4 Extinction
4 Life Syphon

The champion is the "Pay two life, draw a card" one.

e: vvv fixed, also I'm thinking about dropping one of the Pacts for another Blood resource

If you want to focus on the paladin, grab some blood bearers so you can gain life (and hence buff the paladin) whenever anything dies. When Gozzog gets fixed, he's a good champion if you want to look for an alternative, the life drain counts as healing. I have Wretched Brood as it combos well with scrivener to that effect as well, along with Hideous Conversion. So at the beginning of the turn you get an automatic troop, triggering the scrivener, you can sac the troop for some excess mana, triggering the bearer, giving a paladin +1/+1 for each heal, which is multiplied if you have more than one scrivener or bearer out in that combo.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

New patch today!

quote:

HEX Alpha Patch Notes - 813B

General
More fixes to increase overall game stability.
Tool tips added to all cards in the Card Manager.
Added new Champion Keep background art.
Usernames can no longer use numbers or symbols.
New font added but not final.

Chat
Word wrap improved.

Cards and Champions
When a card being targeted changes zone, the effect now correctly fizzles (eg, target troop gets +1/+1 permanently will not resolve if the targeted card is murdered in response.)
Fixed a bug that caused Crash of Beasts not to create Rhino tokens.
Champions can now use their abilities more than once in a game.
New Card Added: Xarlox the Brood Lord.

New Known Issue If you shift-click a card in the Card Manager you will lose your chat box until you log out and back in again. We are working on adding the ability to shift-click and adding a card to chat but the functionality is not complete.

I'm pretty excited about champs working correctly now. Expect to see more big dumb Wild around, escalating rhinos.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I assumed that using the champs' abilities only once was a glitch, but I wasn't sure. Also, the text wrapping really annoyed me, I know it's not a big deal, but it was so weird.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

What proportion of games are ending without a crash at this point? I'm trying to decide whether or not to start playing...

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

pumpinglemma posted:

What proportion of games are ending without a crash at this point? I'm trying to decide whether or not to start playing...

I haven't played since this patch dropped, but its a lot less. If you made me pull a number out of my rear end, I'd say 60% of my games are finishing. It's definitely worth playing at this point.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Here's the R/G that I've been messing around with against the AI since the patch - I'll probably try it against a person soon
It definitely needs work, I'm trying to figure out what numbers for each card work best and whether certain cards are worth it or not
Note: I'd be using Gas Troll if people didn't throw a hissy fit when you play it

4 Ragefire
4 Burn
3 Burn to the Ground
3 Plan C
2 Heat Wave

4 Crash of Beasts

3 Lord Alexander

4 Pack Raptor
4 Wild Root Dancer
2 Verdant Wyldeboar
2 Moon'ariu Sensei
2 Battle Beetle (w/ RR CITP damage random creature)

12 Ruby
11 Wild

Any thoughts?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
For funzies, I threw together a Denial Deck. Almost no troops, almost all murders and burns.

12x Rubies
12x Blood

4x Sapper's Charge
4x Burn
4x Burn to the Ground
4x Ragefire
4x Heatwave
4x Murder
4x Extinction
4x Life Siphon
4x Xentoth's Inquisitor

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

For funzies, I threw together a Denial Deck. Almost no troops, almost all murders and burns.

12x Rubies
12x Blood

4x Sapper's Charge
4x Burn
4x Burn to the Ground
4x Ragefire
4x Heatwave
4x Murder
4x Extinction
4x Life Siphon
4x Xentoth's Inquisitor

The problem with those kinds of decks is that you need to answer every single threat your opponent plays. If you let anything slip through, you lose. If there's anything you can't deal with (artifacts or other constants, spellshield, creatures with 3 or more toughness, a Turn 3 Fist of Briggadon), you also lose.
Another problem is that you need to spend so much mana and cards on just reacting to your opponent, that you don't have any mana left over to win the game quickly. Everything you use to attack the opponent is something you can't use to deal with opposing creatures, so your control breaks down.
Then there's card (dis)advantage. Whenever you need to use two cards to get rid of one opposing card you'll have one less answer to something an opponent plays, and it just snowballs from there.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 6, 2013

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Next wave just went out 4k more invites if the FB post is correct. I'm one of them YAY can't wait to get home.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
YES! Got my alpha invite. Time to find some bugs!

nerox
May 20, 2001
I just had my first person ragequit on me. I was playing my raptor deck and put out 5 raptors in one turn (making my raptors 7/7) and then I saw the victory screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tamba posted:

The problem with those kinds of decks is that you need to answer every single threat your opponent plays. If you let anything slip through, you lose. If there's anything you can't deal with (artifacts or other constants, spellshield, creatures with 3 or more toughness, a Turn 3 Fist of Briggadon), you also lose.
Another problem is that you need to spend so much mana and cards on just reacting to your opponent, that you don't have any mana left over to win the game quickly. Everything you use to attack the opponent is something you can't use to deal with opposing creatures, so your control breaks down.
Then there's card (dis)advantage. Whenever you need to use two cards to get rid of one opposing card you'll have one less answer to something an opponent plays, and it just snowballs from there.

What *is* the answer to the turn-3 Fist of Braggadoon? Murder/extinction/inner conflict? Seems like that combo means almost any deck has to have heavy creature removal.

• Locked thread