Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

rhoga posted:

As of gen 6, it only lasts 5 turns.

Has it been tested whether the appropriate rock (Damp, Heat, etc.) affect Ability Generated Weather or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Saturday Mornings posted:

I'd like to build a team for singles Wifi battles. I like the idea of Prankster Murkrow neutralizing the enemy, being as annoying as possible, and eventually paving the way for a strong pokemon to mop things up. Last gen, I had a lot of fun with paraflinching: Murkrow spread paralysis, Jirachi/Togekiss flinched things to death, Gliscor ate the rest. This gen, I think I want to play with Toxic/Poison and moves that exploit poisoned pokemon, like Venoshock, Venom Drench, Hex, and maybe Toxic Spikes. What kinds of pokemon would do well on my team?

Murkrow's non-negotiable because I love it so. I figure Taunt/Foul Play/Toxic/Roost will work. Taunt to prevent counter-status/setup/recovery, priority Toxic, recovery move, and an attacking move.

Scolipede seems like a lot of fun with Speed Boost, so I think it's going to be the sweeper. It can also Earthquake those pesky Steel and Poison types.

What other pokemon would pair well with these two? Maybe a cleric of some sort? Something with a lot of defenses?

Gengar with either Hypnosis/Toxic and Hex makes a nice toy that might fit into your party.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Has it been tested whether the appropriate rock (Damp, Heat, etc.) affect Ability Generated Weather or not?

Yes, and it does.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Saturday Mornings posted:

I'd like to build a team for singles Wifi battles. I like the idea of Prankster Murkrow neutralizing the enemy, being as annoying as possible, and eventually paving the way for a strong pokemon to mop things up. Last gen, I had a lot of fun with paraflinching: Murkrow spread paralysis, Jirachi/Togekiss flinched things to death, Gliscor ate the rest. This gen, I think I want to play with Toxic/Poison and moves that exploit poisoned pokemon, like Venoshock, Venom Drench, Hex, and maybe Toxic Spikes. What kinds of pokemon would do well on my team?

Murkrow's non-negotiable because I love it so. I figure Taunt/Foul Play/Toxic/Roost will work. Taunt to prevent counter-status/setup/recovery, priority Toxic, recovery move, and an attacking move.

Scolipede seems like a lot of fun with Speed Boost, so I think it's going to be the sweeper. It can also Earthquake those pesky Steel and Poison types.

What other pokemon would pair well with these two? Maybe a cleric of some sort? Something with a lot of defenses?

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but how about a Zangoose with Guts? He has amazing potential as a sweeper, his only weakness is being resisted by poison and if you give him Fling, you can launch the Toxic Orb he'll be carrying at any tough walls carrying leftovers or clerics that spam aromatherapy or heal bell.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Anyone know exactly how much strong jaw increases the power of biting moves, and which pokemon has them to pass onto tyrunt?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Through wonder trade I got a fist full of neat pokemon that I'd like to start ev training up for battling online. Im not going to be breeding. (I gave the best that I could back, any egg pokemon I didn't like and friend safari pokemon / dittos)... Singles wifi.

I have some rough ideas already, but input is already appreciated. What do you think I can make with the following:

Gourgeist (Lv. 1 - Docile - Frisk - Trick, Astonish, Confuse Ray, Explosion)
Shellder - (Lv. 1 - Adamant - Skill Link - Tackle, Rock Blast Icicle Spear)
Honedge - (Lv. 1 - Calm - No Guard - Tackle, Swords Dance, Fury Cutter, Metal Sound)
Honedge - (Lv. 1 - Adamant - No Guard - Tackle, Swords Dance, Fury Cutter, Metal Sound)
Gastly - (Lv. 1 - Modest - Levitate - Hypnosis, Lick)
Gastly - (Lv. 1 - Timid - Levitate - Hypnosis, Lick)
Igglybuff - (lv. 1 - Brave - Cute Charm - Sing, Charm)
Goomy*Pokerus* - (Lv. 1 - Modest - Gooey - Bubble, Absorb, Dragon Breath, Counter)

Event Torchic (Adamant) (I'd really like to use Mega Blaziken)

Vullaby - (Lv. 1 - Sassy - Overcoat - Gust, Leer, Roost)
Trevenent - (Lv. 1 - Brave - Frisk - Tackle, Confuse Ray)
Noibat - (Lv. 1 - Timid - Frisk - Supersonic, Tackle, Tailwind, Switcheroo)
Squirtle - (Lv. 1 - Modest - Torrent - Tackle, Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse)
Togepi - (Lv. 1 - Brave - Hustle - Charm, Metronome, Sweet Kiss, Yawn)
Charmander - (Lv. 1 - Mild - Blaze - Scratch, Growl, Dragon Pulse)
Charmander - (Lv. 1 - Brave - Blaze - Scratch, Growl)
Charmander - (Lv. 1 - Jolly - Blaze - Scratch, Growl)
Litwick - (Lv. 1 - Modest - Flame Body - Ember, Astonish)
Growlithe - (Lv. 1 - Adamant - Intimidate - Bite, Roar, Close Combat)
Spiritzee - (Lv. 1 - Hasty - Healer - Sweet Scent, Fairy Wind)
Froakie - (Lv. 1 - Sassy - Protean - Pound, Growl)
Pichu - (Lv. 1 - Brave - Thunder Shock, Charm, Fake Out, Volt Tackle)
Fletchling - (Lv. 1 - Adamant - Gale Wings - Tackle, Growl)
Scyther - (Lv. 1 - Adamant - Swarm - Vacuum Wave, Quick Attack, Leer, Night Slash)

... This is a bit more than a fist full. Sorry about that.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 27, 2013

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Does anyone have a Normal-type Safari with Ditto? I need to get my breeding game started. I'm also looking for Safaris that contain the following: Mawile, Breloom, and Toxicroak, though I'd like to get my Ditto multiplying underway before I make any real efforts at breeding proper.

My safari is pretty balls, but I do have Galvantula in it. Electric: Electrode, Electabuzz, Galvantula.
FC: 4313 - 0193 - 8878

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So, after testing a lot of different teams and losing a lot, I've found a team that I managed to get a lot of success with. It's got it's fair share of weaknesses, including a rather large Fire weakness, and smarter players can definitely take it down relatively quickly, but luck's been on my side the past few games. Any advice for improvements/gaps in coverage I can't see? I know I don't have a Wall, but I don't care for slow gameplay, and for the same reason I don't really do set-ups. (Stealth Rock, Spikes, ect) I know I should, I just don't want to yet. :shobon: Anyway, here it is.

My Team posted:

3rd Kitetsu (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Valvrave (Haxorus) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 220 Spd / 252 Atk / 36 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Dragon Claw
- Aerial Ace

The Boss (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Bold Nature
- Fire Fang
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Gray Fox (Greninja) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

KR Kabuto (Heracross) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

Zippy (Jolteon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

A GameFAQs user has reported an egg appearing in the middle of one of their boxes. The tag says it was obtained from the Mystery Zone on the 0th of Smarch 2000.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Crosscontaminant posted:

A GameFAQs user has reported an egg appearing in the middle of one of their boxes. The tag says it was obtained from the Mystery Zone on the 0th of Smarch 2000.

Sounds fishy.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

Anyone know exactly how much strong jaw increases the power of biting moves, and which pokemon has them to pass onto tyrunt?

Tyranitar can pass on all three elemental fangs, Salamence can pass on Fire/Thunder Fang, Seviper can pass on Poison Fang if you're into that. I don't think there are any other biting moves besides them and Crunch which it gets by levelup.

Strong Jaws raises their power by 50%, which is pretty great.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Crosscontaminant posted:

Well? Did it hatch?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Octag posted:

Tyranitar can pass on all three elemental fangs, Salamence can pass on Fire/Thunder Fang, Seviper can pass on Poison Fang if you're into that. I don't think there are any other biting moves besides them and Crunch which it gets by levelup.

Thanks! I thought Tyranitar didn't learn the fangs, so I figured youd have to use something like stoutland to get them onto him first. 50% - pretty sweet. Now to think on a moveset.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Got a female Japanese Eevee off Wonder Trade, then caught a bold male Skiddo almost right after. Since they're in the same egg group, as soon as I get my everstone back from my friend, we're in business :getin:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Crosscontaminant posted:

I know a Missingno isn't going to come out of that thing, but god dammit I want to believe.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Millions posted:

Well? Did it hatch?
No, they left it in their party until they ran out of patience, went to box it only to find another one.

e: their Twitter is @harlanagresti and they posted this video log.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

MrFlibble posted:

Thanks! I thought Tyranitar didn't learn the fangs, so I figured youd have to use something like stoutland to get them onto him first. 50% - pretty sweet. Now to think on a moveset.

Arbok can also pass all three elemental fangs to tyrunt. He gets them from the relearner.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'm trying to make a themed team to play around with online. So far, the team I'm working on (Fire types) seems to be okay, and since I'm limiting myself to only Fire types, there's not a whole lot of choices.

So far I have:

Magmortar 4/252/252 HP/SPA/SPE - Choice Scarf - Modest / Vital Spirit

Toxic/Thunderbolt/Fireblast/Focusblast

Blaziken 4/252/252 HP/ATK/SPE - Debating between Leftovers or Blazikenite - Adamant / Speed Boost

Protect/Swords Dance/Flare Blitz/ Hi Jump Kick

Volcarona 4/252/252 HP/SPA/SPE - Debating between Lum Berry or Leftovers - Timid / Swarm (Or Flame Body, but I think the 50% boost to bug would be best over 30% chance to burn)

Quiver Dance / Bug Buzz / Heat Wave / Protect

Chandelure - 252/252/4 HP/SPA/SPE - Focus Sash - Quiet / Flash Fire

Heat Wave / Shadow Ball / Trick Room / Protect

Camerupt - 4/252/252 HP/ATK/SPA - Something (Life Orb maybe?) - Solid Rock / Quiet

Fire Blast / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Earth Power

The general idea is to abuse speed with Blaziken and Volcarona as best as I can in the early game, and when they get taken out switch strategies to Trick Room Camerupt. Magmortar is there as clean up revenge.

The sixth slot is what I'm stuck on. I was thinking either Charizard (with Charizardite Y) for sun support, and turning him into a physical bellyzard with Belly Drum/Fire Punch/Substitute/Earthquake, or a Flareon as my (lovely) wall. He still can do Wish if I remember correctly, and Wish/Protect/Toxic is really all you need to stall things out.

Or, hell, I could even give one of the newer fire types a try; I hear good things about Talonflame :allears: but I'd also be interested in Pyroar, if only because his normal typing allows him to screw with Ghost types.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Traded a Sableye on Wonder Trade, got a Scatterbug named "ipoo". Traded ipoo, got a Hidden Ability Eevee.

I feel bad.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
Do not drop pokepuffs on the floor, that's gross and disappointing

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I learned this second-hand so someone can feel free to correct me, but apparently Smogon has discovered that the abilities that change a move's type (Pixilate, Refridgerate, and Aerialate) also give a 1.3x boost on top of STAB after changing the type. Unless I'm mistaken, that means Sylveon's and Gardevoir's best stab is Hyper Voice, Aurorus gets Nature Power-turned-Tri Attack on wi-fi which beats out Ice Beam, and Mega Pinsir does even stupider damage with Return/Thrash.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just hit Amberette Town in my game, and I'm on my way to Glittering Cave next.

Does...does this game know what Gyms are? Y'know, places where you get badges? It feels like it's been forever since I got the Bug Badge. I swear all three of my current team members are going to hit their final forms before the second gym ever shows up.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

nerdbot posted:

Traded a Sableye on Wonder Trade, got a Scatterbug named "ipoo". Traded ipoo, got a Hidden Ability Eevee.

I feel bad.

Just imagine that you were the middle man and instead of him trading to you to trade to him, He traded the ipoo to the dude who gave you the eevee!

or just delete pokemon that are dumb like that and trade better stuff.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Dexie posted:

I just hit Amberette Town in my game, and I'm on my way to Glittering Cave next.

Does...does this game know what Gyms are? Y'know, places where you get badges? It feels like it's been forever since I got the Bug Badge. I swear all three of my current team members are going to hit their final forms before the second gym ever shows up.

It's the EXP. Share. It makes the game ridiculously easy. I turned it off for a good portion of the game and only really used it late game to make sure I curb stomped the E4.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dexie posted:

Yeah, there's a bizarrely long time between the first and second gyms. The pace picks up pretty hard once you beat gym 2.

e: vvvvvv or that :downs:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dexie posted:

You missed a gym. There's a gym back in Cyllage City. The game doesn't really tell you.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Ambrette is before Cyllage. :ssh:

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Anyone thought about using Gourgeist in their team?

It's got a really diverse movepool and is one of two pokemon with access to wisp AND leech seed (the other being Trevenant), I think.

Could I get away with running a completely passive moveset? Will o wisp, leech seed, pain split, substitute? It seems bulky enough that it can get away with just frustrating the opponent out of the game and it's functionally similar to a standard Sableye/Spiritomb set.

The other question is, what size of Gourgeist works best with this kind of moveset? I'm going for a giant sized one because it's the bulkiest, but you're sacrificing speed to do it. I figure I'd mostly be using it against walls so it's not a huge issue.

If only it had Prankster. :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rocketlex posted:

You missed a gym. There's a gym back in Cyllage City. The game doesn't really tell you.

Glittering Cave is before Cyllage. You're thinking Reflection Cave.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Glittering Cave is before Cyllage. You're thinking Reflection Cave.

...I am, yes. Sorry.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Apologies if this has already been posted - I want to get another 3ds xl so I can get X and do trades with myself, if I get a US 3DS ( and a few games that aren't coming out here for ages) will I be ables to do local trades? i could just trade via the thread in here but it feels like a pain in the bum to get sorted.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Pijeus posted:

Apologies if this has already been posted - I want to get another 3ds xl so I can get X and do trades with myself, if I get a US 3DS ( and a few games that aren't coming out here for ages) will I be ables to do local trades? i could just trade via the thread in here but it feels like a pain in the bum to get sorted.

I'm 99% certain that you can do exactly that. Also it's not that hard to get what you're looking for in the trading thread, most people are happy to give you whatever or just help you trade back and forth for trade evos.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Goodpart posted:

It's got a really diverse movepool and is one of two pokemon with access to wisp AND leech seed (the other being Trevenant), I think.

Could I get away with running a completely passive moveset? Will o wisp, leech seed, pain split, substitute? It seems bulky enough that it can get away with just frustrating the opponent out of the game and it's functionally similar to a standard Sableye/Spiritomb set.

The other question is, what size of Gourgeist works best with this kind of moveset? I'm going for a giant sized one because it's the bulkiest, but you're sacrificing speed to do it. I figure I'd mostly be using it against walls so it's not a huge issue.

If only it had Prankster. :(

Burning already cuts down attack, so I'd say if you can beat the opponent to the burn, you're golden.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Octag posted:

Adding to this; Arbok can re-learn Thunder-, Ice- and Fire Fang by move relearner and can breed with Tyrunt as well, might be a little easier to use as breeding fodder than a Tyranitar, they're a horde encounter near that last snow town I think :)

It's a bit disappointing to me that the biting moves have to be learned as egg moves for Tyrunt, similarly with Mega Blastoise not learning many/any pulse moves (had to train up a Clauncher for Aura Sphere/Dragon Pulse and Dark Pulse is a TM).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
At least they get those moves eventually. Poor Pangoro.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Exploud can also be taught the elemental fangs and Whismur can be found in the Connecting Cave.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Goodpart posted:

I was looking at the Gourgeist thread on Smogon recently (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gourgeist.3489963/), and they seem to either go with Super Size with dual STAB, Will-o-Wisp, and Pain Split or Small with Leech Seed, Substitute, Will-o-Wisp, and an attack move so you don't bend over to Taunt. They also recently found that Pumpkaboo gets Trick as an Egg Move from Dusclops, though, so a Choice Scarf Jolly build for Small has popped up, too.

Edit: This last set might not be possible yet, as Serebii has Dusclops only getting Trick via a tutor, but a guy in that Smogon thread definitely says he bred Trick onto his Pumpkaboo with Dusclops so I don't know what to think. Trick seems to just be a Move Relearner move for Gourgeist, so I guess that person in the Smogon thread was just confused about it being an Egg Move.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 28, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

rhoga posted:

Arbok can also pass all three elemental fangs to tyrunt. He gets them from the relearner.

Yep. I actually bred a bunch of Ice/Poison Fang Tyrunts the other day and threw them into the Wonder Trade using an Arbok as the father, since Arbok can also learn Poison Fang as an egg move from Seviper.

I still have two female Tyrunts left over if anyone wants one for breeding.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Frankly posted:

Adding to this; Arbok can re-learn Thunder-, Ice- and Fire Fang by move relearner and can breed with Tyrunt as well, might be a little easier to use as breeding fodder than a Tyranitar, they're a horde encounter near that last snow town I think :)

It's a bit disappointing to me that the biting moves have to be learned as egg moves for Tyrunt, similarly with Mega Blastoise not learning many/any pulse moves (had to train up a Clauncher for Aura Sphere/Dragon Pulse and Dark Pulse is a TM).

I thought Blastoise can relearn all of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I thought Blastoise can relearn all of them?

He can be bred all of them, but Water Pulse is the only one it learns naturally.

• Locked thread