Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Minecraft is a good game; that does not mean that it is perfect and there is no room for improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Enzer posted:

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I am not saying MC is a poorly made game
Haha what. You literally said

Enzer posted:

[Minecraft is very much a poo poo quality game that rose to stupid levels of popularity, not because it was a good game, but because it hit on a genre typing at just the right time and in just the right way.
So hopefully you can understand why some people might be confused.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Above Our Own posted:

Haha what. You literally said

So hopefully you can understand why some people might be confused.

Yes, it is not a good game for a lot of technical reasons, until very recently it had literally thousands of bugs that had not been addressed for years and poorly implemented game features that hampered the game greatly, however what gameplay it did have was fun despite those short comings. My point was that MC clones tended to focus on where MC "falls short" in some peoples view (mainly complaints about the art style) and forget that you still need to make your game a game, which Notch was able to do despite his issues.

Finish the line you chose to quote: "I am not saying MC is a poorly made game and thus it has no entertainment value." I am saying that MC is a poorly made game BUT is still fun and entertaining despite the fact. If I didn't think it was fun I wouldn't have poured a good deal of my personal time in helping run a server. I am confused why people can't read a full sentence before they need to go and reply to something.

Can we get off the MC derail now?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
It is fine, I've been told in the past that I don't always make myself clear. I am curious if when Cube World starts getting released updates again if this thread should be retired and a new one started, this thread sucks rear end and even if regular updates started coming out I doubt people would be interested because of the lovely arguments and fighting that have been going on for what, 50 pages.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 22, 2013

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Haha, sorry. This thread has been so lovely and negative since Wolly stopped tweeting that I took your post the wrong way. My bad.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Oh thank god. Wolfram von Funck has returned with a new apartment.

http://kotaku.com/the-current-status-of-cube-world-and-why-fans-are-worr-1449026160

Kotaku got some works out of him as well as gave the people interested in the game a history lesson. I don't seem to understand why people would DDOS this guy for making a video game that has a similar art style to "the thing that shall not be named" and shares almost nothing else with "that game"?

You got a huge pile of races. You got your standard 4 classes. You got unlimited random generation. Unlimited levels. Crafting and custom skins. Game is already sitting on a solid base.

I can't ever hate a guy named Wolfram Von Funck. That name is easily one of the best names I have ever heard for a human being. Who the gently caress has beef with this guy and for what reason?

Edit:

It appears someone took the silence and pulled a War Z.

Vox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lLaw78EtFs&feature=player_embedded

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 22, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Drinkfist posted:

Oh thank god. Wolfram von Funck has returned with a new apartment.

http://kotaku.com/the-current-status-of-cube-world-and-why-fans-are-worr-1449026160

Kotaku got some works out of him as well as gave the people interested in the game a history lesson. I don't seem to understand why people would DDOS this guy for making a video game that has a similar art style to "the thing that shall not be named" and shares almost nothing else with "that game"?

You got a huge pile of races. You got your standard 4 classes. You got unlimited random generation. Unlimited levels. Crafting and custom skins. Game is already sitting on a solid base.

I can't ever hate a guy named Wolfram Von Funck. That name is easily one of the best names I have ever heard for a human being. Who the gently caress has beef with this guy and for what reason?

Edit:

It appears someone took the silence and pulled a War Z.

Vox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lLaw78EtFs&feature=player_embedded

Look at the year on that video. :ssh:

Also the DDOSing was stupid, but people were angry because no communication for three months made it seem like he took the money and ran. People can be angry at the same thing for different reasons and even not agree with other people who are angry. Pretending everyone who was angry at Wolly was part of the dumbasses DDOSing is just being disingenuous in your argument.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 22, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also the DDOSing was stupid, but people were angry because no communication for three months made it seem like he took the money and ran. People can be angry at the same thing for different reasons and even not agree with other people who are angry. Pretending everyone who was angry at Wolly was part of the dumbasses DDOSing is just being disingenuous in your argument.

I didn't get that implication at all from Drinkfist's post. It sounded more like they were placing the DDOS on people that were upset it was close to Minecraft. Really, I don't think anyone knows the reason Wollay got DDOS'd, with the popularity of Minecraft clones it seems pretty unlikely that Cube World would be the one to draw that kind of attention.

Being angry over no communication is up to everyone independently. Some people think it's justified, others don't, and there's reasons for both sides, but I don't think anybody thinks it was the angry people behind the DDOS when they didn't even exist at the time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I thought the theory behind the DDOS was that some insane person/people were mad at Wollay for giving certain Youtubers early access to the game for marketing purposes. I remember some insane tweets ranting about how some people had made Cube World related posts before it launched or something. I was never able to make sense of there point.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The DDOSing was happening right around the time of release so it couldn't have been people mad at him for not talking because he hadn't not talked yet.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought the theory behind the DDOS was that some insane person/people were mad at Wollay for giving certain Youtubers early access to the game for marketing purposes. I remember some insane tweets ranting about how some people had made Cube World related posts before it launched or something. I was never able to make sense of there point.

This was the reason iirc, some dudes were super pissed at "viral marketing". Yeah I don't get it either.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Trying to show off your game to people through popular Internet channels is literally The Most Despicable Thing™ you can possibly do.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

ToastyPotato posted:

Ah, that's right. I forgot about that. That's a little more likely.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

GaylordButts posted:

This thread is such a den of negativity, the "Cube World sucks" arguments stop and now people have to fight over other games :(

I've completely given up on trying to figure out why this is. :shrug:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Would you look at that, Wollay is actually not dead!
I do not like the land size decrease.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Kikas posted:

I wonder what that Underworld will be like, I suppose it gives a use to those Lanterns that have the massive light radius.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kikas posted:

Same. It gave a real sense of exploration. If he wants to make travel more convenient, he should add more forms of teleportation or the like.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

Same. It gave a real sense of exploration. If he wants to make travel more convenient, he should add more forms of teleportation or the like.

He brings up a very valid point on allowing players to encounter more variety. The current size of the "biomes" for lack of a better word are far too big and you are stuck traversing the same scenery far too long for a dynamic experience.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

The size decrease is a good idea. It was a horrible slog to get to a new biome and then another horrible slog if you were unlucky enough that the city for it generated on the other rear end-end of the huge loving landmass full of nothing, especially in the early levels when you didn't have anything to ride on or a hang-glider. Good to know this game isn't dead, at least. I've managed to get my character up to level 40ish or something, I hardly remember, before I burned myself out on it almost completely. How some of you guys managed to get to level 100+ is absolutely beyond me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Multiplayer glitches.

But yeah, I like the biome size decrease too. It felt like there was way too much open space with nothing interesting in it 90% of the time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The ideal would just to let it be controlled by a server option.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Maybe with some kind of range limit, otherwise like 95% of servers would just be set to something stupid like 2x2 or 255x255

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
With the extent he is keeping things internal , the idea that we would get any options to change his "master vision" are unlikely.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I'm happy with all the other changes to labeling, leveling, and static levels on that list. I don't like the Bethesda-esque level scaling as it is now, the new method described is more like how I thought the game was going to be in the first place.

Less happy with the land size change. I agree that the huge biomes are a slog and fairly boring once the novelty wears off, so it's not a bad idea, it's just taken too far. Cutting biome size by as much as half would be fine with me, but to less than a third? Come on, I'm not a twelve-year-old, I have something resembling an attention span. Tiny biomes clustered together like some ridiculous theme park is one of the things that Minecraft did terribly wrong imo, and I don't want to see Cube World creeping closer to that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I think I'd have to play this to see how I feel about the change in tile size. On one hand, I like it in that exploring and such got a tad boring and the distance between cities/dungeons was just gross. On the other hand, I could see this making the game world less exploration-friendly. Though who the gently caress knows. Maybe Wollay has more content/poo poo planned that can be strewn across the landscape. And with smaller tile sizes, that can cramp a world up right quick. Obviously you don't want to be tripping over new biomes every time you turn, but I got a little tired of running around in the same seemingly endless forest. There aint' a correct approach the guy can take.

On the other other hand, Yay update! :dance: I can't wait to see what the Underworld looks like. It should be something exciting no matter.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
The biomemass decrease is a good thing, as-is they're just huge repetitive areas. I really think he needs to focus in on adding a wider range of enemy AI. The variety in player combat between classes is just okay and makes sense for where the game is in development, but the lack of interesting enemy patterns is kind of a buzzkill especially regarding bosses. You end up fighting the same things over and over except this one looks like a beetle, that one looks like an alligator, etc. He could take inspiration from Zelda and Warcraft both on that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://picroma.com/blog/post/11

Holy smokes, a Wollay update? Small, only about the scalable GUI, but still, ~*communication*~

Also, I saw some of Wollay's replies on twitter to other people saying that the 20x20 tile change is likely not permanent, he just wanted to try it out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rotten Cookies posted:

https://picroma.com/blog/post/11

Holy smokes, a Wollay update? Small, only about the scalable GUI, but still, ~*communication*~

Also, I saw some of Wollay's replies on twitter to other people saying that the 20x20 tile change is likely not permanent, he just wanted to try it out.

He could just make it adjustable...

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

What the gently caress, wollay is doing a 180 on his communication all of a sudden, I'd still like an explanation on the long silence though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
He was probably sifting through feedback and doing a whole bunch of neccessary but boring streamlining and it never occured to him to make a news post because nothing that he was doing was particularly interesting. This is pretty common when creating any kind of interactive program.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Didn't he also say he moved? :v:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

And I believe he works a full-time job, as well.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Wollay has been tweeting about new biomes and such. Savannah and a dead lands sort of place that's going to be filled with undead creatures.

Hey, a big ol' lion you can ride. Also, pets can level up in multiplayer. That was apparently a bug that they couldn't.

E: Images now in Imgur. My bad.

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.
Since last this thread updated there has been this:

Wollay posted:

Working on new quest mechanics...

and recently

Wollay posted:

Working on the new quest system. Each land has dungeon-, monster-, and mini quests, and one main random quest line.

I'm just always pumped to see some progress.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ooh I like that new map size that looks much more manageable.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

It looks like stuff isn't aligned to a grid now, this should make exploration alot more interesting now.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

international owl day posted:

It looks like stuff isn't aligned to a grid now, this should make exploration alot more interesting now.

I think he's actually just made the grid smaller.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Some new stuff about the quest system was posted. Sounds like a new patch should be coming in a bit.
He posted some screenshots as well.

https://picroma.com/

Wollay posted:

I'd like to give you a preview of the new quest system that will be included in the next update.

There are different types of quests:

Dungeon Quests are "Defeat the ruler of that dungeon" quests. They're depicted as a red dungeon icon on the map.
Monster Quests are about defeating big monster bosses like trolls, saurians etc. They have a red skull icon on the map.
Mini Quests are quests that can spawn randomly everywhere in the world. They can be discovered while traveling and, if you have already discovered the part of the map, have a silver shield icon on the map. They are meant as small side quests that you can do during your explorations.
Main Quests are random quest lines that are generated for each land. They often send you to various locations in the land, like dungeons or ancient ruins, and sometimes just into the wilderness. Target locations are marked with a golden sword icon on the map. The objectives are varying and can involve fighting gangs, finding NPCs, examining objects, carrying things around and more.

During development, there were several challenges: I wanted to have complex quest objectives while keeping data representation of quests simple and also usable in multiplayer. Thanks to the procedural generation of quests I came up with a nice solution which requires only storing a small set of variables for each quest. Also generating quest texts for random quests isn't trivial. I had to create a basic grammar system and dictionary to be able to generate texts for arbitrary combinations of creatures, objects and locations.

Currently we're adding more quest variations to make it as non-repetitive as possible. In the screenshots below, you can see a few samples of what to expect.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I haven't been following this thread too closely but it seems like this dev guy has come out from the dark and is pushing content again?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No content yet, but he's been posting short previews of the upcoming stuff which is a HUGE step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This rather excites me! A good variety of procedural funtime games to keep me occupied between other fatter titles -
Between this seeing some love and Starbound getting better, I have Survarium and BF4 to keep me nicely occupied for the foreseeable future.

I am still bitter about the huge nerf to ranger gliderdashing but... I'll manage I think.

• Locked thread