Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I know Apple made Activity Monitor nice and fancy with Mavericks, but please don't stare at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Plorkyeran posted:

Why are you concerned about 76 MB?

It's not concerning, really. I'm just wondering what it is about Mavericks' vs. ML's memory management that would cause even a little bit of swap (it never happened under ML).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Wario In Real Life posted:

On a related note: Does anyone know that terminal tweak that slightly changes the way dock folder lists are displayed. Makes the icons slightly larger and adds a scroll wheel and such. I'll see if I can find a screenshot.

EDIT: Like this

Chances are it doesn't even work on Mavericks anymore but I've gotten used to the look and would like it if possible.

EDIT2: Found it, but it doesn't work on Mavericks anymore. Lame.

Is that any different from this:

I just checked, and the icons are the same size when the dock is on the bottom of the screen. That's just regular list view.

e: For comparison, those desktop icons are 60x60, screen resolution is 16-somethingx1050

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
That's not regular list view. This is regular list view.

Apparently if you've ever done the terminal command to change it it will carry over through the OS upgrades but I did a clean install of Mavericks.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The amount of swap used is not a concern, it's the rate at which pages are written to and read from the swapfile that has meaning. The kernel will (and should) locate pages that go unused and put them on the disk when it knows they're not going to be used any time soon. For example, kernel code used to initialize hardware devices is not useful after the system has booted so instead of wasting RAM the kernel can put that code in the swap file.

To check the rate at which the kernel is swapping out to disk, you can use the command "vm_stat 5" in the terminal. Ignore the first row of data but watch the last two columns and look for big numbers and multiply by 4096 -- that's the actual amount of data the kernel is reading from or writing to the swap file. If they stay at or around zero then the kernel did a good job of swapping out data you don't actually need to make room for data you do. If the numbers get large then you could benefit from RAM.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Big City Drinkin posted:

It's not concerning, really. I'm just wondering what it is about Mavericks' vs. ML's memory management that would cause even a little bit of swap (it never happened under ML).

Just because you never saw a memory usage spike doesn't mean that it didn't happen. Some process(es) started gobbling up RAM and and the OS had to swap, then those processes quit and you got the RAM back.

Also,

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I know Apple made Activity Monitor nice and fancy with Mavericks, but please don't stare at it.

Now excuse me while I obsess over the data written to my SSD :v:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 27, 2013

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

That's not regular list view. This is regular list view.

Apparently if you've ever done the terminal command to change it it will carry over through the OS upgrades but I did a clean install of Mavericks.

Oh, that's odd that it persists, but can't be done fresh.

I guess I ran the command at one point and then forgot about it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I'm looking for a program to help me gather screenshots from movies I've made easily. Right now I use Quicktime 7 Pro because I can just hit scroll and command-E, but dealing with pict format files is kind of a drag, so I'm wondering if anyone has something that has similar ease of use?

EDIT: MPlayerX won't work, it won't let me scroll through frames with the scroll wheel and it won't let me name snapshots when I take them.
EDIT2: VLC has both the problems I have with MPlayerX. VVVVV

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 27, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
VLC does screen caps, but I can't remember what the format is.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Movist also does. Looks like it lets you choose from all the common formats.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

cbirdsong posted:

Movist seems to be for-pay now. It'd be worth the money if I can scroll through frame-by-frame with the mousewheel and name screenshots when I take them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

Aw man you made me look up if it had actually gotten an update: nope, still abandoned for the last 3 and a half years. The state of media players on OS X remains frustrating to me, though I care a lot less now since everything ends up converted to QuickTime compatible formats for my Apple TV.

edit: Oh Movist moved to the App Store? I had no idea.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO, Movist is worth the money as it is updated, although not often.

Its screenshots are nice and clean on all formats depending on the source, its subtitles support is great, and I can actually remember the frame advance keys.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Anyone know how to make sure autocorrect is disabled in Mavericks?
I went into keyboard then text in preferences, and unchecked it there, but the OS still corrects what is perceives are misspelled words but are actually not.

Anyone else having this issue?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The "correct spelling automatically" checkbox in Keyboard>Text does it for me.

Maybe Safari has its own setting?

It does. Edit > Spelling and Grammar

Kalix
May 8, 2009
it's actually a problem in Keynote of all places. Was trying out the new version for last few days. Not sure if i'm missing the setting somewhere.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Is there a way or app or something that lets you force resize windows past their restrictions? Or a way some plist settings file hidden away or something?

Basically I want to set up an always visible portion of my screen to include Airmail/Twitter/AlbumArt but the absolute minimum height that Airmail will let you resize is 500px which takes up a huge chunk and basically makes my Twitter window look dumb and stubby.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I'm in no tearing hurry to upgrade to Mavericks. Sounds like it might be wise to wait a while and let the bugs shake-out. Agree/disagree?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not noticing anything different on my iMac. If you're on a laptop though i'd definitely get it for the battery boost.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

outlier posted:

I'm in no tearing hurry to upgrade to Mavericks. Sounds like it might be wise to wait a while and let the bugs shake-out. Agree/disagree?
It's never a good idea to upgrade to a .0 release.

geera
May 20, 2003
I've upgraded 2 Mac minis and an iMac and have had zero issues so far. I'm even thinking about upgrading my wife's 2008 Macbook, just to try and squeeze a little extra performance out of the battery.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is anyone else having trouble convincing ibooks to sync bookmarks/notes with their ipads/iphones?

I have literally thousands of annotations/bookmarks/etc in my ibooks collection. Something like 300+ in just my copy of Kants critique of pure reason (And I'm only about 1/2 way through that loving monster of a treatise, ) , and it'd be *really* nice to be able to access them on my mac.

But nothing I do convinces the mac to acknowledge they exist. The ipad and mac have the same icloud/istore ids. iTunes claims they are both in sync, all the various checkboxes etc are checkboxed, etc, but nothing.

Its very frusturating :(

Other than that mavericks has been pretty drat nice.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 28, 2013

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
The clean install on my girlfriends 2008 MacBook Pro went very well, it's back to running smoothly. I don't know if it's faster, but if anything it was an excuse to clean 5 years worth of crap off of it. I figure she'll be lucky to get another upgrade cycle out of it, but this is most likely the last upgrade it will get, so might as well give it a little love.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

outlier posted:

I recall annoyances with the 10.7 and 10.8 releases, but I haven't had any issues with 10.9.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Speaking of the list view on the Applications stack in Dock, is there a way to make it start at the top of the alphabet much like grid view instead of the bottom? I like the look of the list view, but I'm so used to the way grid view behaves as I've used that for many years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evil_bunnY posted:

It's never a good idea to upgrade to a .0 release.

That being said, this has probably been the best .0 release Apple's ever done.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
It's also probably the least changed release too, which goes a long way to help that.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm still fighting the lack of subscribed google sports calendar updates in Calendar.app. They show up in the left pane but just will not show on the calendar. I've tried them as delegates, set them to sync to mobile devices in google's settings, deleted all the calendar config stuff, but I'm out of ideas. This worked in ML too. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's also probably the least changed release too, which goes a long way to help that.
Least changed from a user standpoint, sure. But there's a lot changed under the hood and plenty of new or changed APIs for developers to use. That can have a big impact on application compatibility.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

japtor posted:

Well there's a few ways to move your home folder, so what method did you do in first place? Otherwise I guess do "ls -la" in the terminal where the user folder is, and again inside the folder. That'll show read/write permissions and the owner/group. The folder permissions should start with rwx, while the owner/group should be your name/staff (at least it's been staff for me, I've never been clear on that part).

I copied my home directory over to the new partition, then specified it under Accounts -> Advanced settings -> home directory location. I'll check permissions when I get home, but it feels more like a FileVault issue - namely, it doesn't unlock anything other than the boot partition until after it tries to load preferences.

Maybe I should make symlinks for the stuff that's huge (photos, documents, music, etc.) and leave ~/Library on the boot partition?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

japtor posted:

Anyone been using TM2.0 and can say how solid (or not) it is?

I've been using it since it went open source and trying to contribute to development. (I tried Sublime, but newer releases kept loving up my files. So back to the eternally-alpha TextMate.)

Functionally it's pretty solid—if you need to edit text and run your helper junk, it'll do that just fine.

Auxiliary things like plugin and theme management, documentation... That's all awful. But in a perfect world, you should only need to experience the horror of TM2's add-on manager once.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Macports for 10.9 is out now if anyone still uses that. I'm forced to for work, so hooray I can now start the mindboggingly terrible task of updating a bunch of ancient unix-based scientific software for my clients!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

jeeves posted:

Macports for 10.9 is out now if anyone still uses that. I'm forced to for work, so hooray I can now start the mindboggingly terrible task of updating a bunch of ancient unix-based scientific software for my clients!

It still has the most up-to-date implementation of Pidgin that I can find.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Luceo posted:

It still has the most up-to-date implementation of Pidgin that I can find.

Why not just use adium?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

My 2013 MacBook Air at work is not sleeping anymore when I close the lid. Before Mavericks, all I had to do was close the lid when I was not using it, and the battery would last me several days. Now, it died over the weekend with the lid shut. I looked around online some and just found one post where a person complained of the same and someone said "it's a bug" but no further information. Anybody else having this problem, and is there any way to fix it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

beejay posted:

My 2013 MacBook Air at work is not sleeping anymore when I close the lid. Before Mavericks, all I had to do was close the lid when I was not using it, and the battery would last me several days. Now, it died over the weekend with the lid shut. I looked around online some and just found one post where a person complained of the same and someone said "it's a bug" but no further information. Anybody else having this problem, and is there any way to fix it?

Open up the Console app, clear your log, then close the lid, wait a minute or two, then open it back up. Then cut+paste everything in the Console to a pastebin site and give us the link

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Ever since I upgraded to mavericks, sending mail with mail.app dumps the address of the person I wrote to SOMEWHERE into contacts. I say "somewhere" because they are only visible in All Contacts view. If I go down the list of each of my accounts, they're not there. If I disable all of my accounts, they're not there. They're not visible in OWA. (I use two exchange accounts) I have suggested contacts turned off everywhere.

Has anyone else seen this?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ok here it is, I obfuscated a couple of things out of paranoia. It looks to my untrained eye like maybe it is going to sleep? I'm basing my idea on the fact that the screen wakes as soon as I open the lid now, whereas previously if it was closed for a while, I had to press the power button to wake it. Also the dead battery over the weekend thing when it had a charge that should have made it through if it was really asleep.

http://pastebin.com/kwjxiGXG

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

beejay posted:

I had some weird nuances on my MBA 2013 after upgrading until I reset the SMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Coming from Snow Leopard, the changes to Spaces are really loving weird. I'm getting used to not just going ctrl+1, ctrl+2, etc to move through my spaces, but slowly. At this point I'm just not sure this is an improvement; I'm used to opening Photoshop and having it go here (space 4, left screen), and when I open Chrome it goes there (space 2, left screen). Now poo poo's going all over the place. Guess I'll get used to it.

1. When I changed my wallpaper a few minutes ago, it only changed it for one desktop. How do I change it for all of them at once?
2. Like a dummy, I let MagicPrefs map my "three-fingers-left" swipe to the screen lock. I did it once by accident, but then I did it again a few minutes ago and it wouldn't let me in (yes, I've learned my lesson and removed that option). I know the user/password was right, it just refused to let me in, and I had to restart to get back in (and once I restarted, my password worked fine). What the hell was that?
3. In Photoshop, you hit ctrl-t to resize or rotate something by grabbing the corners - curved arrows mean you're going to rotate it, straight diagonal-pointing arrows mean you're about to resize it (proportionately). I don't know if this is Mavericks or the Magic Mouse (I made the switch to both today), but for some reason the resize option is hard as poo poo to grab, it keeps wanting to rotate. Takes me ten seconds of wandering around the corner of my layer to get the resize option. Anybody else seen that? Note: Nevermind on this last one, although I haven't fixed it yet and it's weird. In Photoshop, my cursor is running around 30px underneath where it's actually doing stuff in photoshop. So if I draw a line, that line is showing up 30px above my cursor. Weird.

Kenny Logins posted:

Also, a few pages ago someone mentioned that you can actually remove Dashboard entirely and that was a great idea. Easily done and I will never, ever miss it.
But then how would I use the calculator? :confused:
(I need the calculator, but I don't have enough real estate to leave it open all the time; that's literally the only useful part of Dashboard)

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 28, 2013