Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

SquadronROE posted:

So I like RogueLikes but I hate fantasy and slashy magicky things. I love DoomRL and AliensRL and Trascendance, but is there anything else out there that I would enjoy?

Bionic Dues might work, not a typical Rogue-like though. No permadeath, party of 4 mechs with only 1 ever active, gradual build-up of items between missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

SilverMike posted:

Bionic Dues might work, not a typical Rogue-like though. No permadeath, party of 4 mechs with only 1 ever active, gradual build-up of items between missions.

It is permadeath, you just get extra tries. It is as much a roguelike as ToME is, if you put on Ironman and set the difficulty high.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

True enough, I just consider the extra tries to be different enough from regular permadeath to warrant a special note. Some people get picky about having that in their Rogue-likes.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
P.R.I.M.E http://pesky-reticulans.org/

It may only update every so often, but drat if they are not getting someplace nifty amidst poking around in Sci-Fi tropes Nethack-style.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SquadronROE posted:

So I like RogueLikes but I hate fantasy and slashy magicky things. I love DoomRL and AliensRL and Trascendance, but is there anything else out there that I would enjoy?

How about Caves of Qud?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Yeah, I second Caves of Qud. It's a pretty fun sci-fi roguelike.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm playing Bionic Dues almost to the point of compulsion on my lunch and coffee breaks. It's a little hard for me to think of it as a roguelike, but it does share quite a few properties of the genre. Beating a level feels a bit more to me like the freeware version of Desktop Dungeons.

I know Arcen's been hopping around from title to title, I hope they see reason enough to stick to this one and give it some further fleshing out, it's a pretty decent start so far.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is Paranautical Activity any good? I'm looking for a mix of fps and rogulike elements and it's about all that I can find.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

When's that graphical update for qud coming out?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Pre-release is up here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/7hYSNm5s_a

It's perfectly playable, there's just an unfinished dungeon so we don't want to make it official yet.

*Mutation cost rebalance:

Adrenal Control - 3, down from 4
Burrowing Claws - 2, down from 3
Corrosive Gas - 3, down from 4
Electromagnetic Pulse - 2, down from 3
Heightened Hearing - 2, down from 3
Phasing - 4, down from 5
Photosynthetic skin - 2, down from 3
Sleep Gas Generation - 2, down from 3
Spinnerets - 3, down from 4
Stinger (all types) - 3, down from 4
Two Headed - 2, down from 3

Clairvoyance - 2, down from 3
Disintegration - 3, down from 4
Ego Projection - 2, down from 3
Light Manipulation - 4, up from 3
Mental Mirror - 2, down from 3
Precognition - 4, up from 3
Sunder Mind - 4, down from 5
Syphon Vim - 3, down from 4
Teleport Other - 2, down from 3

*Added a new terminal font
*Added support for '-oldfont' to revert to the older lower-resolution texture
*Added a new dungeon (Trembling Dunes, lower-leftmost square of world map)
[build currently waiting final monster/item population]

*Fixed stun rod not stunning
*Fixed beak having the same description as horns
*Fixed some issues with cross-faction aggro levels
*Fixed an issue with gas propagation near world's end
*Fixed an issue where dart guns and other magazine-loaded multi-ammo guns weren't providing a selector

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Those sound like awesome changes, lots of utility mutations got cheaper and Light Manipulation was definitely too good for three points. Fortunately most of my builds included one or more of the discounted ones so it shouldn't interfere too much. :)

Also glad to see more 2-point mutations in general, I was always getting stuck with that many left over.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Light Manipulation going up is a wash for me since I usually take sunder mind with it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

Caves of Qud is post-apocalyptic, but it has wacky mutations like shooting fire and switching bodies. Does that count?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Ah, like those Cave of Qud changes. Thanks for sharing the prerelease, Unormal.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Does CoQ have a guide of some sort? I've been playing for awhile and I'm finding the whole thing utterly baffling.

It's possible I'm just dumb.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

Is Paranautical Activity any good? I'm looking for a mix of fps and rogulike elements and it's about all that I can find.

You asking this resulted in me re-installing it to check and see how it played now.

It's still pretty basic, but it definitely gets the speed of a game like Doom down well. It's very frantic.

You may have better luck asking in the steam thread.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unormal posted:

Pre-release is up here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/7hYSNm5s_a

It's perfectly playable, there's just an unfinished dungeon so we don't want to make it official yet.

Oh, nice. Time to give it a shot.

Yaws posted:

Does CoQ have a guide of some sort? I've been playing for awhile and I'm finding the whole thing utterly baffling.

It's possible I'm just dumb.

Heh...CoQ.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm just disappointed that Caves of Quod is windows-only. It sounds like the next RL I'd try, after Sil finishes beating my rear end.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's a bit irksome. I at least have a windows partition on my machine to play it with, but nevertheless there's still a few hoops to trod through.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 28, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So many great ideas. I'm going to have some fun tonight after work! Maybe even playing some of these games!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In doomRL if every room's floor turns to lava and I'm standing in doorway tapping next turn will it ever dvd or is that game over

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

In doomRL if every room's floor turns to lava and I'm standing in doorway tapping next turn will it ever dvd or is that game over

It doesn't go away; if you don't have the gear to survive it just start another game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Krinkle posted:

I'm pretty sure you get a special level feeling when there's a "turn everything to lava" switch around. If you get that again while not immune to lava, don't pull any switches!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Even better, don't pull switches unless you have intuition or are in a special level; the pros don't weigh up to the cons. A bad lever can kill you almost instantly.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Now that I've beaten it, I'd just like to pop in to say Teleglitch is fantastic from start to finish. I think the resource management and crafting is its strongest point, because there are a lot of options for upgrading your gear and you have to factor in the threats you're likely to encounter and how much ammo you'll have to work with. Do you upgrade your pistol to full auto, or turn it into a nailgun? Do you keep those medkits in case you need them, or craft them into an emergency teleporter? For most of the game you'll be counting every bullet, and even if you hoard everything for the end, it'll all be for naught if you use the wrong weapons for the wrong encounters.

The atmosphere is oppressive and foreboding, which heightens the sense that there's always something around the corner that can wreck you. Even the story is pretty cool from what you can piece together, as its an unholy mash-up of tropes (mutants, zombies, robots) with emphasis on the ethics of their research and use. I was able to pick it up for $3.25 during a week-long sale, and I wouldn't have been disappointed if I paid full price.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

PRIME is amazing. This is exactly what I was looking for, QUD I'll pick up once a graphical update is out.. for some reason the only real RL I can get into with Ascii is Doom. It's probably because I'm dumb.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Where can I get prime? I tried the first non wikipedia link for download and it gave me a virus warning through chrome somehow?

e: okay it scans okay but chrome really did not want me to accept that download.

e: that isn't even a complete program it did not run. Dang.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 29, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Krinkle posted:

Where can I get prime? I tried the first non wikipedia link for download and it gave me a virus warning through chrome somehow?

e: okay it scans okay but chrome really did not want me to accept that download.

e: that isn't even a complete program it did not run. Dang.

http://pesky-reticulans.org/

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Unormal posted:

CoQ update!

I take it this means your iOS roguelike is nearing completion?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Social Animal posted:

I take it this means your iOS roguelike is nearing completion?

Still a few months of work, but it's all content, the engine is done, so I have a little spare bandwidth again.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Thanks! I tried to pick up a sludge vats, it told me I could not, and then it froze up and crashed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

P.R.I.M.E http://pesky-reticulans.org/

It may only update every so often, but drat if they are not getting someplace nifty amidst poking around in Sci-Fi tropes Nethack-style.

This is way too much like space nethack for my tastes, but the NotEye integration is really cool.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
Desktop Dungeons seems to finally have a release date: 7. Nov. 2013
Beta players will receive a steam key.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Any RLs with combat as detailed as DF adventure mode, but with better implemented adventuring/questing?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skwee posted:

Any RLs with combat as detailed as DF adventure mode, but with better implemented adventuring/questing?

I'm actually wondering a similar thing.
Is there any roguelikes with more advanced combat system than usual? At least an ability to target separate bodyparts would be nice.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Thanks! I tried to pick up a sludge vats, it told me I could not, and then it froze up and crashed.

I don't think you can pick up sludge vats. I think you just look at them, I haven't figured out any way to interact with them.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

DF got the idea for its detailed combat from UnReal World.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Harminoff posted:

Paranautical Activity is a first-person Binding of Isaac, it's very light on the Roguelike elements and is more of a shooter, it seems pretty good at what it is but it's not really my style. If you want a first-person Roguelike that is more of a Roguelike than a shooter, check out Delver which recently got a brand-new art style and has had some other updates, or Eldritch which is basically Delver with a Lovecraftian setting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

DF got the idea for its detailed combat from UnReal World.

Hmm...one of the few roguelikes I haven't tried. Maybe I should...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Hmm...one of the few roguelikes I haven't tried. Maybe I should...

It's a nice and rather fun open world survival/crafting roguelike where the environment is an actual danger (it's easy to starve or freeze to death). However there's little actual combat unless you seek it out, most combat is based on tracking and stabbing a fleeing elk.