Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chaltab posted:

And forcing Robin to out herself as female in court wasn't weird? Just sayin'.

But yeah, I hope she gets out of jail soon enough to appear in the next game.

You know, if there is a next game.

That was played for comedy, with all the unfortunate implications that brings. Japan is weird about a lot of things, but that part's just being dumb.

And there will be a next game. Another game with Aura, Pearl and Robin in it. There has to be :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm only a bit into Case 2, but if they are pulling a convicted killer in as a prosecutor, well, that slightly raises my hopes of seeing Manfred von Karma again.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Scher posted:

Playing through case 5 right now, and I feel that Edgeworth just really has no place there. Having him pop up all of the sudden is just a bit jarring to me. Pearl, on the other hand, I wish was in the game more. Her animations are just too adorable!

I thought my cheeks would be knocked off by my big smile at everything that is Pearl. :3: Did you present your space station pamphlet to her? It's like a mini vacation for her since she never gets to leave the village. :kimchi:
God, I want Maya back in this series so badly too. She and Phoenix had the best chemistry of any co-stars from anything.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Chaltab posted:

And forcing Robin to out herself as female in court wasn't weird? Just sayin'.

But yeah, I hope she gets out of jail soon enough to appear in the next game.

You know, if there is a next game.

I mean weird in their culture. Japanese media is no stranger to "gender X raised as gender Y" characters, so while I could argue that there are problems with the way Robin was handled it's not weird for her to be a girl living as a boy in the story.

I hope we see more of Aura, too. She kinda has a whole story behind her that gets shrugged off.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Just saying, the AA series is no stranger to weirdness.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm only a bit into Case 2, but if they are pulling a convicted killer in as a prosecutor, well, that slightly raises my hopes of seeing Manfred von Karma again.
Actually Phoenix mentioned that von Karma died in prison at some point between Dec. 2016 and June 2017.

Although I suppose that might have been a throwaway line from the localization team.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Anybody noticed that the backlog doesn't quite work right? Somewhat random sentences are blanked out when you check it at certain spots, like when you catch Filch and la belle practicing testimony for a second time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If I recall right, Manfred is explicitly mentioned to be dead during one of the Investigation conversations with Franziska in JFA.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Wasper posted:

Anybody noticed that the backlog doesn't quite work right? Somewhat random sentences are blanked out when you check it at certain spots, like when you catch Filch and la belle practicing testimony for a second time.

Restart your game and try the backlog again. I've found that to work at some points.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought that was left up in the air, but I could be mis-remembering.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I just found the best thing ever: a bunch of the AA5 characters as Fire Emblem units. :getin:

Linked for possible spoilers (I'm covering my rear end, ok):

http://imgur.com/a/2OzmB

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~

Suspicious Cook posted:

I thought my cheeks would be knocked off by my big smile at everything that is Pearl. :3: Did you present your space station pamphlet to her? It's like a mini vacation for her since she never gets to leave the village. :kimchi:
God, I want Maya back in this series so badly too. She and Phoenix had the best chemistry of any co-stars from anything.

Oh! I didn't even think about doing that. I'll have to go back to that after I finish the game.

I kind of like how the final trial is in the ruined courthouse. I think it adds a lot to the mood for this case. Although, the animated cutscene at the beginning of trial just makes me roll my eyes. It's just so... hokey. Also, the transition to 3D has made Edgeworth look even more smug in court than before.

Scher fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 28, 2013

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So I just found the best thing ever: a bunch of the AA5 characters as Fire Emblem units. :getin:

I love that Myriam has a wooden box since cardboard wouldn't have been invented.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gyre posted:

I love that Myriam has a wooden box since cardboard wouldn't have been invented.

Considering that almost no technological progression has happened in the 2000 years between Shadow Dragon and Awakening, poor Myriam is probably gonna be dragging that thing everywhere for the rest of her life. :smith:

Scher posted:

I kind of like how the final trial is in the ruined courthouse. I think it adds a lot to the mood for this case. Although, the animated cutscene at the beginning of trial just makes me roll my eyes. It's just so... hokey. Also, the transition to 3D has made Edgeworth look even more smug in court than before.

Yeah, I really didn't like the anime cutscenes at all. They were cheesy and badly acted, IMO.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Wasper posted:

Using the backlog will also occasionally crash the game.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Pollyanna posted:

Who's that next to Pearl? Maya? And is that Klavier next to Edgeworth?

But really, there's only one acceptable class for Simon

vvvvv I would never take her dad out of my party.

Pastrymancy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 28, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pastrymancy posted:

Who's that next to Pearl? Maya? And is that Klavier next to Edgeworth?

But really, there's only one acceptable class for Simon

I think that's Klavier, yeah. And the other girl must be Jinxie, since she's a Sorcerer. It mentions her dad being "the greatest warrior in the world", so that settles it.

And yeah, they seriously missed out on giving him Dread Fighter :v: I also would have preferred the Attorneys as Lords, but that'd be a bit too Mary Sue-ish.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
Playing through case 5 right now and all I can say is Apollo, you dick! Stop being stupid. The trial was over.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Scher posted:

Playing through case 5 right now, and I feel that Edgeworth just really has no place there. Having him pop up all of the sudden is just a bit jarring to me.

Yeah, I basically felt the same way, but goddammit Having it be confirmed that Edgeworth and Phoenix still hung out and went to Trucy's magic shows together was super-heartwarming. And next time Udgey gets to come too.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Pollyanna posted:

ENDGAME SPOILERS (and if you finished the game, read this):

I liked bringing him down. The act of doing it was fun as poo poo. But I feel like who I was bringing down is just as important and I just couldn't give a poo poo about the guy in particular. Case 5 really is about the protagonists/main characters, and it doesn't try to hide it at all. That guy was just kind of a throwaway cardboard cutout and didn't really matter.

Holy poo poo, I just understood why they made him the last boss. :aaaaa:

Hear me out on this. The last case is all about Athena, Apollo, Blackquill and Phoenix. Everything is about getting over the past, dealing with the present, and securing a good future (or whatever). We can all agree on this. In that case, the bad guy really does not matter in the end. It could be Starbuck, it could be Tonate, it could be Means, it could be loving Oldbag for all I care. The point is, it's not about him. The identity of the bad guy is irrelevant because in Case 5 and in the long scheme of Dual Destinies, they don't really HAVE an identity, they're just there to tie up the story and character development. They're just an agent to provide thrill and drama by setting all the events of the game in motion. That's why they bring up the lack of identity issue, that's why they made his breakdown what it is. Who he is doesn't matter. He's just a tool.

The final boss of Dual Destinies is, ironically enough, the means to an end - a reason to develop the characters and something to punch so you can get the princess and save the day. Nothing more. The final boss is so nebulous and so ill-defined that the game just glosses over them - and it was always meant to do that. That's why they created the phantom. They decided not to bullshit us with saying that the villain matters any more than the main characters' struggles, so they made him a non-entity. If we think about it that way, the whole phantom bullshit actually makes sense!

Endgame spoilerchat. (as noted in the quote)

This is a cool theory. But I'm not sure I'd give them that much credit. I think part of what the writers were trying to go for was that you were supposed to feel betrayed by Fulbright, who seemed to be your idiotic, but well-meaning ally for four cases (an entire year to the characters) - and who instead is this nebulous stranger. Because you never see his face, but you're can recognize him still as the individual who you met, but constantly deceived you. The revelation that he was the culprit at the same time Phoenix realizes it in the plot blindsided me nicely, in this respect, but it did end up feeling rather ridiculous once you actually start questioning him, because he's not consistently an rear end in a top hat in trial and they don't push the emotional damage he's caused enough (Apollo gets some lines about 'he killed Clay for this?' and that's about it).

But the part I see expressed in this thread that I really agree with, is that they gave up on the kind of emotional breakdown all Phoenix Wright villains do when you beat them (which is such a satisfying part of the series) by not having his Bobby Fulbright face be his actual face. Giving him the whole 'my soul is empty' sacrificed too much of his established character (and therefore the "betrayal" aspect of the player's involvement), when really, the menace of "the phantom" character is supposed to be that he is a cold bastard who kills and manipulates without remorse. If he had stayed Bobby the whole time, contrasting his previous constant talk of justice with an unmasked cruelty, you know you would've loved taking that sucker down.

But hey, the Wright-Apollo-Athena-all-at-the-bench combo owned, as a capstone to the earlier sequence where Athena was proven beyond both her own and Apollo's doubts, so yeah, maybe the phantom did work to make the personal journeys of the protagonists that much sweeter. I know I love this game for at least that.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

booksnake posted:

Endgame spoilerchat.

-snip-

More endgame spoilerchat:

It's true that the last case is much more about the Phoenix, Apollo, Athena, and Blackquill than the villain, but I think there's more going on there. The reason the phantom didn't have a true face (or even a proper noun for a name, in in-game speech 'phantom' isn't capitalized) is because he's basically set up to be the physical embodiment of the 'dark age of the law.' The phantom exemplifies the by any means necessary themes the protagonists are against. But also, I think the writers were also sensitive to how the fans didn't take kindly to the idea of Phoenix losing his attorney's license through forged evidence back in AJ. It's deliberate that the phantom's last false face is that of Phoenix himself. With all the talk of that trial putting an end to the dark age of the law, it felt like to me the writers were making up for what was seen as a mistake in the development of Phoenix's character and putting that mess away once and for all.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's Klavier doing here? he just kind of feels, pointless. I like the character more than most people but I don't see a place for him in the story, he had his arc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished the game.

The rest of the games from now on will be all about the adventures of the BatPhoenixfamily, right? Please don't take this away from me Capcom. :allears:

The presentation of this game was phenomenal, it looks beautiful, and they implemented so many little quality of life improvements that did a lot for the game.

I'm definitely echoing a lot of people's opinions about Apollo. He really stood out in this game and made it his own far more than he did in his own game, even though all three attorneys get their time to shine. Apollo and Athena also play off each other really well, which I'm guessing is why the localizers borrowed another Greek god's name.

Speaking of localizers they should probably fire whoever was proofreading this game - there were more typos in this one than in any of the previous Ace Attorney games, and in a story based game that's sort of a problem.

With regards to the actual cases I want to rank this game really close to the top but not quite enough to get there - there's just some points especially in case 5 where it gets weak - Fulbright's reveal owned but I think he's the worst endgame villain the main series has ever had. On the other hand it has by far the best case 3 in the series, as low a bar as that's tended to be. Means was an excellent villain, his breakdown was wonderful and he stayed true to the game's themes unlike pretty much all the other case 3 villains - even though I wish he'd simply turned the creep factor up to 11 when it finally came time to rake his poo poo over the coals as opposed to the Mr. T-ransformation, but then that would have meant missing that breakdown so :shrug:.

The central themes in the game, the dark age of the law and the problems with an ends justifying the means mentality is pretty overdone. I just want to throw in my couple pennies that for all AJ's flaws Kristoph exemplified corruption, forgery and the dark side of law a thousand times better than the loving hamfisted way they beat you over the head with it in this one. I think the point I'm driving at with these last two paragraphs was Kristoph was a good villain you guys. :v: I'd love to see another really subtle, understated villain like he was in AJ.

Also, I get it game, Phoenix Wright's back, he's lawyering again, can you please get a little less masturbatory with all the "oh man that is CLASSIC Phoenix Wright", "Oh Phoenix you're such a wacky lawyer don't you EVER stop being wacky?". That gets to be a little much, especially with them cribbing from Case 2-4's plot but upping the stakes just for the sake of upping them for case 5.

Also there are some really great tracks in this game. Anyone have a link to or know the names of the "Cornered" theme Athena gets sometimes in court, or the jazzy theme that plays when you talk to a shady witness?

Please let this game sell alright, this is the best Capcom thing in years and I really want to see what they do from here.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 28, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You know, something I want to talk about regarding the villains.

All cases spoiler:
Their motivations. Or should I say, motivation, because they all share the same one. Greed. Tonate killed Arme because she found out he was going to sell the bomb on the black market, L'Belle killed Kyubi because he wanted the gold, Means killed Courte because she found out he was taking bribes, the Phantom was just a spy, he got paid for this poo poo, so really his motivation was just money as well.

Which is all just dumb. Duuummmmb. They wrote the cases and how they played out first, and THEN they made the characters motivations to fit that somewhat. I mean I know a lot of people complain that, even after everything you've proven, you still need to prove a motive, even when the defendant doesn't have a motive (2-3 aaa). Which is fair enough, but don't just have the prosecutor explain afterwards that "Oh s/he did it because so and so", that's not interesting.

And the extra dumb thing is that they could have EASILY made the story flow a lot better just by changing their motives to reflect the times: have their motivations have basis in this "dark age of the law". Tonate DOES want to blow up the courthouse because he hates lawyers and the court system for some reason (heck, this was even said in one of the earliest trailers). L'Belle is in a lot of debt because of a lost case in court. Courte didn't approve of Means' methods (not only taking bribes) and they got into a heated discussion and he killed her because he's crazy. Phantom, I dunno, he's the one who sorta kickstarted the whole dark age stuff I guess but it was all mostly resolved by the time he gets on the stand.

Simply changing stuff like that around would have made the Dark Age stuff not as dumb and would have made the story more cohesive, instead of the filler case 2. Not that I like the Dark Age stuff anyway, Phoenix has already proven two prosecutors guilty of murder, and one of them was super-famous. It's just dumb how now all of a sudden it's forced down our throats.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Case 5, Investigation Day 1: "Wright... Please stop presenting random evidence just to see how that person will react." Edgeworth is the best :allears:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Does the killer stop being so obvious? I've barely started case 3's first trial day and I already know who did it.

E: Holy poo poo I hate Scuttlebutt.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 28, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Does the killer stop being so obvious? I've barely started case 3's first trial day and I already know who did it.

Yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 3 ending:

The statue stuff was extremely contrived, but the villain and the breakdown was great stuff.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I'm pretty sure I'm reaching the climax of case five and holy poo poo, if the culprit is who I think it is... :aaaaa:

e: Just got the psych report. gently caress, I think I'm right.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 28, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Did you guys think in case 5 that an important piece of evidence would be getting Fulbright to take his glove off? He got stabbed through the hand! He's got that animation where he raises his fist and there's a prominent vein/anime anger mark on the back of it and I had this :aaaaa: moment when I thought "poo poo that could really be a scar and it's been there the whole time!" but then it didn't happen. :sigh:

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Just reached the first investigation portion of case 4 and I am in love how Yuri Cosmo is the best reference to Space Battleship Yamato ever. From Pro Wrestling to Space, this game has a lot of elements I like. :allears:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Case 3 trial 1 Wait, we have a trans character in a game? I... :stare: I did not expect that. Let's hope they can tackle this with class? Right? Oh... Oh... :smith:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Case 5: I was right! gently caress, this is the most :psypop: twist since 2-4.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I can't tell if I love Newman or hate him. I'm completely torn.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I can't tell if I love Newman or hate him. I'm completely torn.

Spoilered for those who may not be there. Case 3.

I can see it being a focal point for detractors and the kind of people who are commonly labelled as SJW's for sure, especially when we consider the portrayal of women is probably gaming's biggest issue in 2013.

She's very stereotypically feminine when she's acting like a "girl", but she's very stereotypically masculine when she's acting like a "boy". She's not a realistic male or female character, which is certainly the intention. The game is not looking to send a message of any sort, it's not saying being trans is bad, being trans is good or anything, it's a character who flip flops between ridiculous stereotypes of both genders constantly. It's just very... Ace Attorney. It's crazy, weird, OTT and ridiculous.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

Case 5: I was right! gently caress, this is the most :psypop: twist since 2-4.

Oh good lord that wasn't even the real twist.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Aurain posted:

The game is not looking to send a message of any sort, it's not saying being trans is bad, being trans is good or anything, it's a character who flip flops between ridiculous stereotypes of both genders constantly.

Case 4/5 spoilers
I think it's also important to note that she does the same twirl as the robots and has the same theme song and the judge compares the robots to his grandchildren. To me it really comes off more as a childlike way of testing her newfound identity. There really doesn't seem to be any form of statement on wether or not she should be male or female. If anything, she incorporates both gender-stereotypes into her repertoire.
The game really goes out of its way to show that everyone, including the criminals, have emotions. Even the robots are treated as humans during the trial.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

So, finished the game:

I think I have to agree with people that taking down the phantom wasn't as rewarding as it could have been. I was hoping he would turn into kind of a sinister version of 'In justice we trust!" Fulbright or something but all he really had was the spytech gimmick, which more than a bit bland. Still, the Aunt Jebedissa string of masks was pretty funny and the moment when you realize Fulbright was the culprit is mind-blowing on the level of the Matt Engarde reveal in 2-4 so it was still a pretty awesome finale on the whole.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

eating only apples posted:

Did you guys think in case 5 that an important piece of evidence would be getting Fulbright to take his glove off? He got stabbed through the hand! He's got that animation where he raises his fist and there's a prominent vein/anime anger mark on the back of it and I had this :aaaaa: moment when I thought "poo poo that could really be a scar and it's been there the whole time!" but then it didn't happen. :sigh:

I'm super bad at the "spot the difference" minigame so that was the first thing I thought of when I went looking for it. It was for a different reason than I thought but I still thought it was cool to me to find it that fast.

I liked how all three characters had different styles. Athena rushed from theory to theory and used the evidence she found in her contradicting theories to make a master theory, Apollo slowly built up evidence and then used that to take stabs in the dark, and Phoenix reached a conclusion and then bluffed until he could prove it. It kept the cases feeling diverse even if Athena's ended up dragging a bit and repeating itself because of it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Aurain posted:

I can see it being a focal point for detractors and the kind of people who are commonly labelled as SJW's for sure, especially when we consider the portrayal of women is probably gaming's biggest issue in 2013.

She's very stereotypically feminine when she's acting like a "girl", but she's very stereotypically masculine when she's acting like a "boy". She's not a realistic male or female character, which is certainly the intention. The game is not looking to send a message of any sort, it's not saying being trans is bad, being trans is good or anything, it's a character who flip flops between ridiculous stereotypes of both genders constantly. It's just very... Ace Attorney. It's crazy, weird, OTT and ridiculous.

I hear you here. it's rather obvious they went for the Polly Oliver/Mulan plot and not for a statement on crossdressing as a lifestyle or hobby or trans issues, considering Newman pretty much states on day 2 investigation that she's really happy about not having to pretend to be a guy anymore, so it's kind of annoying to have people coming out of the woodwork and try to pass it as an attack on the subjects mentioned previously. Though I agree it's a clumsy at time, like in Persona 4, a game with the same premise and which attracted the same kind of talk.

On another, lighter subject, finished case 3, which is a big improvement over case 2. Seeing Apollo getting actual characterisation was pretty nice, especially given how he was treated in AA4. The culprit was kind of obvious, pegged him as so as soon as he started to talk about the end justifying the means. Hugh was pretty good as well, I liked how you strip layer of pretention over layer of ego to find a depressed fellow. I did think his big secret was that he did some time in the clink to account for his age, though, and that's what strained his friendship with the others, that with the thing about how a prior conviction can bar you from finding a job in law. The frendship bit was not overdone, as well, with the exception of that scene at the end, and was pretty sweet. Finally the sotryline itself is pretty good, and pleasant to piece together, considering it's not too obtuse or too spoonfed to you.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Means was an excellent villain, his breakdown was wonderful and he stayed true to the game's themes unlike pretty much all the other case 3 villains - even though I wish he'd simply turned the creep factor up to 11 when it finally came time to rake his poo poo over the coals as opposed to the Mr. T-ransformation, but then that would have meant missing that breakdown so :shrug:.

I thought he was supposed to be like a bloodthirsty gladiator, considering his "normal" personality is a Roman/Greek/etc. philosopher.

• Locked thread