Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

NeilPerry posted:

Is Mother 3 worth playing? I've never played Earthbound you see.

ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

TorakFade posted:

I am looking for a PC game that makes you feel a good sense of progression: mainly RPG, but also tactical turn-based shooters, strategic or 4X games or anything (just no FPS please) where you improve your character, country or even just equipment.

The progression should come quickly enough that I don't need to play 3 hours to get "+1 strength" or the next gun/sword/spaceship or whatever; I'd also like everything to be accessible and easy, not needing hours upon hours to get good at it (having to think about what to do is fine, having to memorize 8-move combos and the timing to pull them off or being swamped in micromanagement spreadsheets is not).

Best examples of this that I've already played : Elder Scrolls games, Fallout 2 and 3 and NV, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 (also played pretty much every good mod), Arcanum, Darklands, Jagged Alliance 2, X-Com: Enemy unknown, Diablo 2 and 3, Torchlight 2, Civilization 5 plus expansions, Galactic Civilization 2, X3: Albion Prelude, Master of Orion 2, Tropico 4.

Fallout and Fallout:Tactics are obvious choices if you haven't played them already.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

BITCOIN MINING RIG posted:

Divinity 2: DKS has satisfying power progression. The voice acting is a bit off but the game is fun otherwise.
I would recommend it too. Power progression was one of the highlights of the game, too. The skill tree in this game is limited by levels, so (as a rough example) you would need character level 10 to learn level 5 Fireball with 70 damage, and character level 15 to learn level 6 fireball with 200 damage. But you could find items that might straight up give +1 Fireball skill level, meaning that you could have that massive 200 damage Fireball spell a whole lot earlier than expected. :getin:

quote:

I tried Divinity 2 once, and quit after killing everything in the starting valley and attached dungeons didn't give me enough levels to survive any fights around Lovis's tower. Is there some side area I missed?
Maybe, but if I remember correctly it did have some tough fights in that tower. Try various tactics like rushing, dodging or cover plinking.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, Fallout Tactics is such an underrated game. The progression is nice, you go from fighting bandits with lovely pistols and tire irons and cheap SMGs to fighting meaner bandits with rifles and poo poo, all the way to OH poo poo I RAN OUT OF DEPLETED URANIUM ROUNDS FOR BOTH MY .50 CALS, I AM SO hosed.

Also, what's the specifics on the "Please no FPS" clause? Because Fallout 3 and NV are technically in FPS form too, and even with the risk of sounding like a broken record, I wanna say Borderlands and Borderlands 2. Both will give you a pretty steady stream of better and better gear, and BL2 has a more interesting and substantial skill system too, with skills that actually change how your character works instead of just numerical bonuses to this or that.

For more usual action RPG fare, Sacred 2 and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning are both pretty fun if cheesy.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Nordick posted:

For more usual action RPG fare, Sacred 2 and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning are both pretty fun if cheesy.
I would advise against both. Sacred 2, if I recall correctly, respawns everything every time you enter or exit a dungeon, and has a weird skill progression where improving a skill also increases mana costs or other negative aspects. Kingdoms of Amalur is a WoW clone MMORPG retrofitted as a single player, though with ghastly amounts of utterly boring and senseless :words:, and although technically as far as graphics and controls it has some good stuff, it has to be the most boring RPG I've ever finished.

Fallout:Tactics is quite underrated indeed.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Reckoning was never an MMO, but it was bought by guys who were making an MMO and then altered to be in the same universe as that game. There is no evidence that I know of that they shared any tech or assets. The game has lovely MMO-style bear rear end quests and a very large environments in comparison with your character but other than that it simply has nothing to do with MMOs.

It is true that the game deserves warning against, though. It's really, really tedious.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

pigdog posted:

Sacred 2, if I recall correctly, respawns everything every time you enter or exit a dungeon, and has a weird skill progression where improving a skill also increases mana costs or other negative aspects.
Well it's basically a Diablo-school lootarama, revolving around killing poo poo and developing your character so you can kill more poo poo. I can't see how respawning enemies are a bad thing in that light. Also the game world is freaking ginormous, so there's nothing forcing the player to stick around in the same area for long unless you desperately wanna do EVERY SINGLE QUEST.
And yes, upgrading your spells/attacks to be more powerful does increase their cooldown time. That's why you put points in the Mastery skills that decrease those cooldowns. It's just how the game makes you balance between bigger or faster booms.

pigdog posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur is a WoW clone MMORPG retrofitted as a single player, though with ghastly amounts of utterly boring and senseless , and although technically as far as graphics and controls it has some good stuff, it has to be the most boring RPG I've ever finished.
The info-dumps in Amalur are all optional, no NPC will force them upon you. I thought the lore was nothing amazing, but had some cool stuff about it and I kinda enjoy the naive fairytale atmosphere.
The reason I recommended the game, though, is that it has enjoyable action RPG combat with nice loot progression and the character development gives you new tricks to try out at a pretty constant rate. Dude listed Diablo 3 among the kind of games he's after, so I assumed a masterfully written, thrilling plot with meaningful and profound quests wasn't exactly a requirement.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Don't know about Diablo 3, but I think the power of the awesome cutscenes that drove Diablo 2's simple story shouldn't be underestimated.

I'm just cross about Amalur's story because they paid 2 million dollars to write that ocean of :words: with nary a single memorable character.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Really Pants posted:

I tried Divinity 2 once, and quit after killing everything in the starting valley and attached dungeons didn't give me enough levels to survive any fights around Lovis's tower. Is there some side area I missed?
Get a bow with bonus damage early - either buy one from the smith or explore all the other sections around the tower for secret items since there's some good bows around. After you get a good bow killing the Black Ring & skeletons near the tower gets much easier, and you can throw points into combat afterwards. You don't need to invest much into archery unless you plan to stick with it - maybe 1-2 points into the archery damage skill.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Can anyone explain the draw of Dragons Dogma to me? I was eyeing Warriors Orochi 3 and someone had mentioned Dragons Dogma but they hadn't played it. Is it worth the money? Would you kind people recommend it?

I'm basically looking for something that I can dump a lot of hours into. Dynasty Warriors type games are usually good for that but I hadn't heard a whole lot about Dragon's Dogma, well, at all.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Dragons Dogma is pretty amazing - lots of classes with varied playstyles, an open game world you can traverse the entirety of, probably the most expansive endgame you'll ever find in a single player RPG, and a great loot system. You can easily sink 50-60 hours into that game. Plus you can climb on monsters to hit their weak points, which is a really neat plus.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

SheepNameKiller posted:

Dragons Dogma is pretty amazing - lots of classes with varied playstyles, an open game world you can traverse the entirety of, probably the most expansive endgame you'll ever find in a single player RPG, and a great loot system. You can easily sink 50-60 hours into that game. Plus you can climb on monsters to hit their weak points, which is a really neat plus.

Yes. Dragon's Dogma is the most fun I've had playing a video game in the last three years, easily. It's got an interesting, unique party system, an awesome world, and tons of cool poo poo to do. Not to mention the combat is very fun.

Just don't try to min/max your character or you'll be stuck playing as a Sorcerer the whole game when you want to be a Magick Knight.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I'm looking for a game playable in-browser that I can play with a few friends. Any type is fine, from something like Board Game Online to something like Realm of the Mad God.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'm looking for a game playable in-browser that I can play with a few friends. Any type is fine, from something like Board Game Online to something like Realm of the Mad God.

http://pomme.us/

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

http://kingdomofloathing.com

This game is genius... spent literally hours of my life playing this game.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

Yeah, Fallout Tactics is such an underrated game. The progression is nice, you go from fighting bandits with lovely pistols and tire irons and cheap SMGs to fighting meaner bandits with rifles and poo poo, all the way to OH poo poo I RAN OUT OF DEPLETED URANIUM ROUNDS FOR BOTH MY .50 CALS, I AM SO hosed.

Also, what's the specifics on the "Please no FPS" clause? Because Fallout 3 and NV are technically in FPS form too, and even with the risk of sounding like a broken record, I wanna say Borderlands and Borderlands 2. Both will give you a pretty steady stream of better and better gear, and BL2 has a more interesting and substantial skill system too, with skills that actually change how your character works instead of just numerical bonuses to this or that.

Thanks for the tips; Fallout 3 and NV are technically FPS's, but I used VATS all the time so they didn't play like one. It's just that if all I do is shoot people it bores me pretty fast; Fallout has story, exploration, decisions, crafting and such that keeps me interested.

Fallout: tactics is something I should try, maybe I'm too used to Fallout being a full RPG so I didn't even consider it. Will try.

Borderlands (2 in particular) intrigues me, but I'm afraid it's just Diablo with guns, not that it's a bad thing but Diablo 3 bored me a little after the first playthrough.

I tried Kingdom of Amalur but it bored me to death, I stopped playing just after the first city, it didn't really make sense to me and the dialogue was terribly uninteresting (and there was lots of that; I know I'm not forced to read it, but it just grated me).

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

TorakFade posted:

Borderlands (2 in particular) intrigues me, but I'm afraid it's just Diablo with guns, not that it's a bad thing but Diablo 3 bored me a little after the first playthrough.
I think you should give them a shot. The sense of progression is very nice, and unlike regular Diablo clones, you don't just pick and use equipment with bigger numbers, but with guns you would often prefer ones that feel the best. First one has perhaps a bit better loot gameplay, but the second one is funnier and has better quests.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, BL is technically just Diablo with guns, but it just feels a lot more alive. It has a whole mess of great characters and lots of hilarious writing, plus the combat is really dynamic and engaging. You won't be just hunting for a "bigger gun +10", you'll be on the lookout for several different kinds of guns (and other gear) that you can switch between depending on the current situation. And yes, sometimes you have these guns you just are comfortable with eventhough they aren't necessarily more effective in practice. Especially in the first game, where the power curve isn't as steep.

That said though, it has pretty much zero non-shooting activities, so there's that. But really, I recommend you have a go at it anyway. (by "it" I just mean either game, both are great.)

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Any good SRPG's similar to Final Fantasy Tactics that aren't Ogre Battle, XCOM, or Disgaea? preferably on PC, PS3, or Wii?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Valkyria Chronicles is very good. Outside of that I can't think of any.

Edit: \/ Listen to this goon. I would suffer the stuff Lowtax LPs over Argarest.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 28, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Dregs posted:

Any good SRPG's similar to Final Fantasy Tactics that aren't Ogre Battle, XCOM, or Disgaea? preferably on PC, PS3, or Wii?

Not Agarest. Stay the gently caress away from Agarest. You do not want Agarest.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Dregs posted:

I've only played the 3DS Fire Emblem game but it was pretty cool, if a bit simplified compared to something like FF:Tactics. You should have access to some with a Wii and PC, but I'm honestly clueless outside of the 3DS one as to which are good.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Dregs posted:

Path of Radience is a Gamecube game in the FE series and is my favorite. It's pretty story focused and the pacing is the best in the series full stop.

E: Radient Dawn to a lesser extent on Wii, mechanically it's very interesting but the pacing is all kinds of awful and the characters are a lot more lame.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I just finished Sleeping Dogs and really enjoyed it. What's like it?

I've heard the Batman games have a similar combat system, but I also enjoyed the open world aspect of SD (and Arkham Asylum was pretty linear at least at first.) SR3 looked way too silly. I enjoyed LA Noire (at least until the story broke down.)

The SD thread had some recommendations for "The Saboteur" but the PC version has SecuROM, maybe the Xbox version would be better?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

monster on a stick posted:

I just finished Sleeping Dogs and really enjoyed it. What's like it?

I've heard the Batman games have a similar combat system, but I also enjoyed the open world aspect of SD (and Arkham Asylum was pretty linear at least at first.) SR3 looked way too silly. I enjoyed LA Noire (at least until the story broke down.)

The SD thread had some recommendations for "The Saboteur" but the PC version has SecuROM, maybe the Xbox version would be better?

The combat system is a watered down version of the Arkham Games where you're really dancing instead of fighting, it's amazing. Arkham City has an open world but it's not what I'd really call an open world game. Just to narrow it down, what about Sleeping Dogs are you looking to experience again, mechanics? story? visuals?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Saints Row 2 isn't as silly as The Third, it runs like a dog on PC and you'll have to use a goon-made mod called Gentlemen of the Row for a good experience.

What did you like so much about Sleeping Dogs? It's quite unique in the way it brings together a GTA-style open world, upgrading your character and the brawling mechanics.

The Assassins Creed games are open world and involve a lot of fighting and side-mission distractions but the setting could hardly be further removed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The fighting in Assassins Creed is really bad though and it makes me very sad :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

M
The combat system is a watered down version of the Arkham Games where you're really dancing instead of fighting, it's amazing. Arkham City has an open world but it's not what I'd really call an open world game. Just to narrow it down, what about Sleeping Dogs are you looking to experience again, mechanics? story? visuals?

Mechanics and story, primarily. I thought the game had a good plot (and generally enjoy games that have them, e.g. Alpha Protocol) even if they don't have too much reactivity. Lovely visuals would be a major plus. I tend to be forgiving of some clunkiness if the whole package ends up being good.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Yeah, I do love the Ezio trilogy, but the fighting is on the easy side, fun though it is. For the fighting, the Arkham games are the closest I've played to Sleeping Dogs in terms of feel and difficulty. The first two are really good and I'd recommend them to anyone. I haven't played Origins yet.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mechanics and story, primarily. I thought the game had a good plot (and generally enjoy games that have them, e.g. Alpha Protocol) even if they don't have too much reactivity. Lovely visuals would be a major plus. I tend to be forgiving of some clunkiness if the whole package ends up being good.

Red Dead Redemption? The mechanics are solid and the plot, though it drags on pretty heavy as R* games always do has a pretty great climax. The game is still pretty as sin too.

E: Also yeah the Arkham games are just some of the best period and you owe it to yourself to play them if you haven't.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Red Dead Redemption? The mechanics are solid and the plot, though it drags on pretty heavy as R* games always do has a pretty great climax. The game is still pretty as sin too.

E: Also yeah the Arkham games are just some of the best period and you owe it to yourself to play them if you haven't.

Played RDR :) I thought it was good, though the game dragged in parts (Mexico.) One thing that annoyed me is that I'm a completionist, and the various "hunt for rabbits which only appear in a certain part of the map that requires you to do a google search" annoyed the hell out of me. Other than that, I really enjoyed it.

I loved the Ezio trilogy, though the Desmond parts of Revelations got on my nerves. I would have preferred it if the series was just Ezio and no modern day stuff. I didn't care so much about the completionist stuff here, for some reason.

So maybe awesome protagonist is important too? :)

EDIT: I guess one thing I liked about Sleeping Dogs is that it had a bit of everything (melee! car chases! parkour! robberies *and* catching criminals! gunfights!) The AC games had this too (well not the gunfights but you get the idea.)

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 28, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The Saboteur is severely underrated and is one of my top games. It has an amazing atmosphere and style, and although the story is just you fighting nazis, there's a lot to do (driving, shooting, sneaking, assassinating, climbing, blowing up poo poo, etc).

It also sadly has an annoying map bug if you have an ATI card, nothing game-breaking but FYI

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

EDIT: I guess one thing I liked about Sleeping Dogs is that it had a bit of everything (melee! car chases! parkour! robberies *and* catching criminals! gunfights!) The AC games had this too (well not the gunfights but you get the idea.)

If that's the case, I'd recommend checking out Yakuza 3/4.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

The Saboteur is severely underrated and is one of my top games. It has an amazing atmosphere and style, and although the story is just you fighting nazis, there's a lot to do (driving, shooting, sneaking, assassinating, climbing, blowing up poo poo, etc).

It also sadly has an annoying map bug if you have an ATI card, nothing game-breaking but FYI

How bad? (I have an ATI card, and I'm not planning to get a new card for a while yet.)

kirbysuperstar posted:

If that's the case, I'd recommend checking out Yakuza 3/4.

I really need to get a PS3 :smith:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

How bad? (I have an ATI card, and I'm not planning to get a new card for a while yet.)

On the automap, the map objects (you and things you can blow up) and the map itself (roads, rivers, etc) are on different layers and not aligned with each other. So you'll know that a radio tower is right next to you, but you won't really know that it's right next to a road as well. It's more annoying than anything, because you can still get around just fine, it'll just take longer to get your bearings while looking at the map screen.

If you don't care about better graphics and K+M controls, just get the xbox version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I really need to get a PS3 :smith:

Ahh.. well, Yakuza 1/2 are pretty good still, 2 especially, if you have a PS2 kicking about. They might emulate pretty well, too for all I know.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Perhaps Mafia 2? It got a lot of bad rep, but mostly because of the publisher's decision to gut the game into launch DLCs, not because the game was bad as such. It's certainly not as good as Sleeping Dogs, but still quite decent. There's not a whole lot melee fighting (get the Arkham games for that) but the gunplay is quite solid.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

More of an 'is it worth it?'. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is £9 on Steam at the moment. I liked the first one a lot. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the setting and the exploration but thought a few of the puzzles were a bit obscure. I've seen middling reviews of A Machine for Pigs and was wondering if it was worth the time and money. I know £9 isn't a lot but I hate to overspend and you can pick up anything more than a year or two old for less on PC these days.

Also since I'm loving Driver San Francisco at the moment are there any good other good car chase/street race games around? Needs to be on PC, realism is nice but not necessary and same goes for good wheel support. I've played the GTA games. I'm tempted by the Need for Speeds Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit. Any good? Other suggestions are very welcome since the extreme rubberbanding in NFS mars the experience for me.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Walton Simons posted:

More of an 'is it worth it?'. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is £9 on Steam at the moment. I liked the first one a lot. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the setting and the exploration but thought a few of the puzzles were a bit obscure. I've seen middling reviews of A Machine for Pigs and was wondering if it was worth the time and money. I know £9 isn't a lot but I hate to overspend and you can pick up anything more than a year or two old for less on PC these days.
It's not as good. The atmosphere is still great, but as far as gameplay, it took big steps backwards. I'm a big fan of the first game, but would wait for a sale for the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

Also since I'm loving Driver San Francisco at the moment are there any good other good car chase/street race games around? Needs to be on PC, realism is nice but not necessary and same goes for good wheel support. I've played the GTA games. I'm tempted by the Need for Speeds Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit. Any good? Other suggestions are very welcome since the extreme rubberbanding in NFS mars the experience for me.
Burnout: Paradise has very satisfying driving and is also great fun to play with friends. Works great with a wheel or controller.