Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Biggest human being Ever posted:

-WLAN is too slow to stream 1080p
Other people have covered the rest, but I'll point out that this is less of an AD12 problem and more of a general wifi problem. It just doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle high bit-rate 1080p files. Theoretically wireless-N should be fine, but I've never tried it and I'd worry about lag spikes possibly causing issues.

Wifi streaming in general might get better when Gotham is released because Gotham allows you to force a buffer for local network streaming.

And stop kicking yourself about not waiting for a different machine. HTPC stuff has come a very long way in the last few years, but we're still quite a ways off from "plug-in, everything works". Right now you can get everything working great and looking really good, but it will take some tweaking and fiddling with settings first, regardless of what machine you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I realize there are certain limitations that WIFI comes with, but I still think the WIFI of the AD12 is pretty poor. I have it plugged into one of these now: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA850RE-Universal-One-button-Indicator/dp/B00E98O7GC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382635799&sr=8-3 and that's good enough to stream 1080p movies.

I've since run into another problem unfortunately, that being that the scraper is incredibly slow, to the point where it takes about 30 minutes to scrape info for 5 seasons of TV and even just a check to see if there's new Shows on the hard drive takes upwards of 60 seconds.

Anyone know what could be the reason for this? I figure it has to be either a slow usb drive, slow WIFI or a poor connection to my home server.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You have to start by ruling things out. Try it wired if possible and see. Then try with a different USB drive, personally I like Patriot sticks and OpenElec runs on a champ on the few I've tried. It could just be the scraper itself is lovely at times, thetvdb often has problems for example, my log files are filled with timeouts and other bullshit from there.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The connection to the home server seems to be the culprit, I moved the powerlan plug to a different socket and that improved scraping speeds quite a bit. :)

Also, Gunslinger if you could let me know about your fan settings in the bios I'd really appreciate it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
PWM/Temp Slope 5
Smartfan Off Temp 50
Smartfun Startup Temp 55
Smartfan Full on Temp 70
Smartfan startup dutycycle 40%

is what I use after playing around for awhile. Temps rarely exceed 45, totally silent in OpenElec. Remember that in the BIOS the CPU will be pegged so you can't really test settings there very well, it'll run full tilt and go into full on mode. Apply your settings and then boot into OpenElec then play around.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Gunslinger posted:

PWM/Temp Slope 5
Smartfan Off Temp 50
Smartfun Startup Temp 55
Smartfan Full on Temp 70
Smartfan startup dutycycle 40%

is what I use after playing around for awhile. Temps rarely exceed 45, totally silent in OpenElec. Remember that in the BIOS the CPU will be pegged so you can't really test settings there very well, it'll run full tilt and go into full on mode. Apply your settings and then boot into OpenElec then play around.

Thanks, I'll play with those settings this weekend. You do have an ad12, right? I ask cause on the default settings my temps seem to be 55°c and up when idle.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I realize there are certain limitations that WIFI comes with, but I still think the WIFI of the AD12 is pretty poor. I have it plugged into one of these now: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA850RE-Universal-One-button-Indicator/dp/B00E98O7GC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382635799&sr=8-3 and that's good enough to stream 1080p movies.

I've since run into another problem unfortunately, that being that the scraper is incredibly slow, to the point where it takes about 30 minutes to scrape info for 5 seasons of TV and even just a check to see if there's new Shows on the hard drive takes upwards of 60 seconds.

Anyone know what could be the reason for this? I figure it has to be either a slow usb drive, slow WIFI or a poor connection to my home server.

On my XBMC box which is an Asus Revo connected to a NAS over 100MBit wired LAN, scanning my ~6TB library for new movies and TV shows takes approximately 45 seconds. So I wouldnt say that 60seconds is wildly higher than expected, I think it's just a generally slow process.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks, I'll play with those settings this weekend. You do have an ad12, right? I ask cause on the default settings my temps seem to be 55°c and up when idle.

I have an AD10 and I replaced the thermal paste on mine, they did an awful job with some cheap crap. I wouldn't worry too much about the temps though as long as they're not hitting ~65 under minor load.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I have a bunch of trailers, each one a unique file, that I want to play in a specific order with one click.

So for example I want it go:

coming_attractions.avi
friday_the_13th_part6.avi
blood_for_satan.avi
feature_presentation.avi

In that exact order.

This should be simple right? When I make a PLS file and click on it in XBMC it just shows me the list, and if I play the first file it plays that one file over and over. I could make a smart playlist but then I can't control the order and I don't really want them to go Friday The 13th, And Now Our Feature, Coming Soon.

I also know that CinemaXP is designed for this, but it also randomizes. I just want to play a list of clips in a specific order.

It's always the simple stuff that messes with me. Is it just a setting where I disable clips from restarting? I can't recall where you do that.

Thanks in advance, obviously I'm hosting a big horror night tonight and I'd love to be able to play trailer clips right from XBMC instead of making a DVD like I've always done in the past.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I'm using my XBMC HTPC for my Halloween Housewarming party tonight. I've been cleaning around the house and playing my music through Airplay, and noticed that it doesn't seem to be using my subwoofer for the music. I have 7.1 turned on in the general settings of XBMC (even though I only have 3.1 now, given what the thread previously said about that subject). However, the subwoofer stays silent, and my receiver seems to only be receiving 2.0 sound. Does anyone know how to fix that?

I know the mp3s are only stereo, but it would be nice to still use the subwoofer as well.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Your receiver or stereo is probably the culprit, not XBMC. It's receiving a stereo signal so it's playing it as stereo. Change the sound options on the receiver to a pseudo-surround profile that will make use of all your speakers and your sub.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

InfiniteZero posted:

I have a bunch of trailers, each one a unique file, that I want to play in a specific order with one click.

So for example I want it go:

coming_attractions.avi
friday_the_13th_part6.avi
blood_for_satan.avi
feature_presentation.avi

In that exact order.

This should be simple right? When I make a PLS file and click on it in XBMC it just shows me the list, and if I play the first file it plays that one file over and over. I could make a smart playlist but then I can't control the order and I don't really want them to go Friday The 13th, And Now Our Feature, Coming Soon.

I also know that CinemaXP is designed for this, but it also randomizes. I just want to play a list of clips in a specific order.

It's always the simple stuff that messes with me. Is it just a setting where I disable clips from restarting? I can't recall where you do that.

Thanks in advance, obviously I'm hosting a big horror night tonight and I'd love to be able to play trailer clips right from XBMC instead of making a DVD like I've always done in the past.

You can use CinemaXP for that, just not in the traditional way.

You can add the first clip as the "Theater Welcome" clip, the second clip as the "Theater Ad" clip, and so fourth.

Unless you wanted to use CinemaXP's regular style in addition to those videos, but if you just want to play those four videos you can definitely do that.

Edit: oh you were hosting that last night. How'd it go? heh

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I have multiple systems in my house. I want to be able to use a central library, which is already set up. Is the PleXMBC add on the best/easiest way to do this? All I want to do is be able to walk to my other system or laptop, load the program and watch a show or movie, just stream is straight across. Is that even possible? All I have found so far is running a MySQL DB and linking the systems together...

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So whats the skin du jour for goons? I installed Aeon MQ3 (4 said "files missing" for some reason) and... I don't get it. All I wanted was to install the "favorites" option in the menu bar (which apparently is not available in the default skin?? Finding that information was unusually hard) but I can't seem to get it. It looks nice but its super customization is not very intuitive. How do I setup just so I can have a FAVORITES option just like I do "movies" and "music" ect?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tooter posted:

I have multiple systems in my house. I want to be able to use a central library, which is already set up. Is the PleXMBC add on the best/easiest way to do this? All I want to do is be able to walk to my other system or laptop, load the program and watch a show or movie, just stream is straight across. Is that even possible? All I have found so far is running a MySQL DB and linking the systems together...

Mysql can do this. Don't bother with Plexbmc just use the plex client.

Gozinbulx posted:

So whats the skin du jour for goons?
Look back in this thread a few pages, but for me xperience1080 is the one i always come back to. Its not as fanart-centric as some other skins but I don't care at all.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Tooter posted:

Your wording is a bit vague here. PleXMBC works but you lose some of the better features of the xbmc backend (personally I can't stand not having movie collection support). If you go this route your basically just using plex with a xbmc front end. You might as well just use the plex client at this point.

Here are some options:

1. If you prefer xbmc set up a mySQL DB and just point all the sytems at it. If all the boxes are using XBMC and are on the same network this is the best solution.
2. plexbmc
3. Trakt - This can be used in conjunction to either 1 and 2. I use trakt pretty extensively because I will commonly stream stuff on my phone during lunch but much prefer xbmc at home. I have the trakt plugin on my xbmc box and then also on my plex server. Both will update trakt status as you watch items, so you can run the two separate and not have to use plexbmc and keep both databases in sync.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

kri kri posted:

Mysql can do this. Don't bother with Plexbmc just use the plex client.

Look back in this thread a few pages, but for me xperience1080 is the one i always come back to. Its not as fanart-centric as some other skins but I don't care at all.

Just installed this. I's Xbox themed. Looks nice but no thank you.

I'm really not getting any info on how to install the favorites bar in AeonMQ. They say you need to install the favorites script, but when I do that from "install from zip" using the zip I downloaded of it, I get nothing. It doesnt react, it doesnt ay add-on isntalled. Anyone else have this working?

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Esk1 posted:

Your wording is a bit vague here. PleXMBC works but you lose some of the better features of the xbmc backend (personally I can't stand not having movie collection support). If you go this route your basically just using plex with a xbmc front end. You might as well just use the plex client at this point.

Here are some options:

1. If you prefer xbmc set up a mySQL DB and just point all the sytems at it. If all the boxes are using XBMC and are on the same network this is the best solution.
2. plexbmc
3. Trakt - This can be used in conjunction to either 1 and 2. I use trakt pretty extensively because I will commonly stream stuff on my phone during lunch but much prefer xbmc at home. I have the trakt plugin on my xbmc box and then also on my plex server. Both will update trakt status as you watch items, so you can run the two separate and not have to use plexbmc and keep both databases in sync.

Sorry, it has been a long day and there have been some drinks involved. So MySQL is the way to go? I thought trackt only kept track of the data, it didn't host it out. I can set it up on the system that houses all the media and run it from there. Awesome! More work than I wanted but I shall persevere!
I have ran into an issue with bluecop addons not working as well. They all fail when loading. The Hulu, for example, is configured with my credentials but when I start it just dies. Is there further configuration required other than what is in the program itself?

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Tooter posted:

Sorry, it has been a long day and there have been some drinks involved. So MySQL is the way to go? I thought trackt only kept track of the data, it didn't host it out. I can set it up on the system that houses all the media and run it from there. Awesome! More work than I wanted but I shall persevere!
I have ran into an issue with bluecop addons not working as well. They all fail when loading. The Hulu, for example, is configured with my credentials but when I start it just dies. Is there further configuration required other than what is in the program itself?

Are all your systems xbmc? Then use SQL

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

There's your problem, use Aeon Nox instead. Favorites should be set up and working by default there anyway.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Everything mysql related is spelled out in the wiki article.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL

I use mysql + trakt myself. Once you set it up its literally never think about it again. I have had this setup for a couple of years I think.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Has anyone figured out how to set up XBMC with mySQL without giving its account permission to do anything it wants though? Figured I'd give it a go after some recent problems with SQlite, but I've got other MySQL databases running as well and try to keep my computer decently secured.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Do you mean MySQL permissions? I think when I first did it I granted the xbmc all provileges on "xbmc_%" which has worked so far, as all the databases it creates are of the name "xbmc_music#" or "xbmc_video#". I'm pretty sure that also lets it create new databases as long as they have "xbmc_" at the front of their name.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Edit: oh you were hosting that last night. How'd it go? heh

Thanks, I am going to try this with CinemaXP for future reference.

In the end what I did was easy, I just dropped the trailers and bumpers I wanted into directories and numbered them. Then before the first movie I just went to the first folder and set XBMC to automatically play the next file and I was showing trailers.

BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE DEVILS and DEVIL'S RAIN were the big hits of the trailers this year.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Thanks fellas. I will get on this later today. New question. How do you separate the special features on a disk from the movie itself? I was thinking of making another menu option and putting them in a different location. Is there a way for XBMC to scrape the info and realize the content is special features and not the movie itself?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Does anyone know of a way to get side-by-side 3d MKV rips to display only the left-eye/right-eye in XBMC? I got VLC to do it by manually cropping and changing the aspect ratio, but surely there's a more convenient way?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bam thwok posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get side-by-side 3d MKV rips to display only the left-eye/right-eye in XBMC? I got VLC to do it by manually cropping and changing the aspect ratio, but surely there's a more convenient way?

My 3dTV lets me do this.

The newest XBMC13 might also.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like aeon mq5 is on the repo now. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174501

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Aeon Nox is semi-abandoned at this point and MQ5, while decent, is decidedly old school for me and like Nox and the other Aeon offshoots is very fanart-centric. I don't mind fanart, but I like a skin that looks good with or without it.

I installed the WIP Skins repo (it's the official XBMC repo for skins in development) and have switched over to Arctic. It's excellent, stable (it's in beta only because they are waiting for Gotham to switch to the official repo) and looks great.

Like any skin it probably won't be everyone's cup of tea but give it a try. I much prefer it to skins like Xperience 1080.

In particular, it has the best Live TV/EPG support of all the skins I've tried, so if you use that like me it's really worth a look.

kri kri posted:

Everything mysql related is spelled out in the wiki article.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL

I use mysql + trakt myself. Once you set it up its literally never think about it again. I have had this setup for a couple of years I think.

Seconding this. The XBMC Trakt addon used to be a POS resource hog but it's gotten a lot better, and along with mySQL keeps all your stuff in sync, even with Plex, which I use for mobile.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 2, 2013

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Ixian posted:

Aeon Nox is semi-abandoned at this point
It hasn't been updated in five months, but what is there to do? It's basically feature complete, are there any important addons integrated into other skins that Nox is lacking? Barring possible incompatibilities with newer versions of XBMC and a few missing studio logos there isn't a lot to do with it. Aeon MQ is garbage though.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

MQ5 crashed on me three times just browsing the menus. I'm going back to Arctic.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
edit: nevermind

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 2, 2013

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Keito posted:

It hasn't been updated in five months, but what is there to do? It's basically feature complete, are there any important addons integrated into other skins that Nox is lacking? Barring possible incompatibilities with newer versions of XBMC and a few missing studio logos there isn't a lot to do with it. Aeon MQ is garbage though.

I stopped using it a while ago so I don't have the list in my head anymore but basically, 4.1.9 (the beta that also hasn't been updated) has a combination of improvements and bugs that has driven several folks to try to "combine" the two releases.

In the end, it's clear that it's not a going concern. No hard feelings - the people who like to maintain it do it for free, and if they don't care anymore that's up to them - but there were enough minor niggles with the released version that I stopped using it.

Check out a newer skin like Arctic and you'll see some of the small, but nice touches Nox lacks.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Anyone have a suggestion for the resolution on XBMC being low when coming back from sleep? I use XBMC Launcher which works fine but the program still looks about 1/4-1/2 of the typical 1080p, making me reload the program each time.

I looked on their forums but all of it seems to be Mac specific stuff that didn't apply.

My setup:
XBMC Gotham on a Windows 7 HTPC [had same issue on Frodo]
Onkyo Receiver [HDMI connection fromver to HTPC]
Samsung 60" Plasma
Harmony Remote

Edit: The resolution apparently is still 1920x1080 based on print screen, but it looks like garbage. http://i.imgur.com/JhS8rE1.jpg for reference

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 2, 2013

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Godinster posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for the resolution on XBMC being low when coming back from sleep? I use XBMC Launcher which works fine but the program still looks about 1/4-1/2 of the typical 1080p, making me reload the program each time.

I looked on their forums but all of it seems to be Mac specific stuff that didn't apply.

My setup:
XBMC Gotham on a Windows 7 HTPC [had same issue on Frodo]
Onkyo Receiver [HDMI connection fromver to HTPC]
Samsung 60" Plasma
Harmony Remote

Edit: The resolution apparently is still 1920x1080 based on print screen, but it looks like garbage. http://i.imgur.com/JhS8rE1.jpg for reference

I experienced this with a YouTube video last night. The YouTube fullscreen interface looked horrendous after resuming from sleep. Never had it with XBMC though.

You use XBMC Launcher...is there a delay set on when XBMC launches after system resume? I have a 10 second delay set on mine.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Godinster posted:

I use XBMC Launcher which works fine
It doesn't sound like xbmclauncher is working fine. Make sure xbmclauncher is set to restart or start xbmc when it comes out of sleep. Could be gotham?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

kri kri posted:

It doesn't sound like xbmclauncher is working fine. Make sure xbmclauncher is set to restart or start xbmc when it comes out of sleep. Could be gotham?

Sorry I meant it works fine in the sense that it loads XBMC and takes control of the screen with XBMC on bootup like it's supposed to. I had the same issue on Frodo unfortunately.

I'll try reinstalling it and/or adding a delay.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is it actually relaunching xbmc when your computer comes out of sleep?

Are you actively using windows? If not just use openelec and save yourself some hassle.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

kri kri posted:

Is it actually relaunching xbmc when your computer comes out of sleep?

Are you actively using windows? If not just use openelec and save yourself some hassle.

Agreed, my rule of thumb - particularly where XBMC is concerned - is that if I don't really need Windows then I don't run Windows for a dedicated Media Center. OpenElec has gotten too good in the last couple of years for it to be otherwise.

Someone inevitably brings up Netflix at this point, so I'll throw my stock answer out for that too - buy a cheap Roku. Or use the client in your game console, TV, or virtually anything else because Netflix, Hulu, etc all are in about every device made and in most cases are going to be better than any hacked-together streaming solution you can manage with XBMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
Does OpenElec have some sort of macro system? I'm interested in giving it a shot as I really want to treat my HTPC as an appliance, but that is the one thing that I do with my Windows based HTPC that I'm not entirely sure will work on it.

Right now I have dedicated buttons on my remote to do things like rename a directory in my rip directory in a few different ways that I later use to sort into the proper archive directory. I'm using EventGhost to issue an XBMC rename command, send the home key, then input the text pattern depending on the button pressed. Is this reproducible in OpenElec?