Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Mister Duck posted:

Yeah, riding with a friend who spent a couple of years in London has got me following him down the holes in traffic, despite it being illegal. I've decided I will eat the ticket if need be, I would rather be splitting. I don't filter at lights though, apart from lining up to do it in case someone doesn't stop. I find that doing it at lights invites a world of crazy road rage.

Since when is filtering in the UK illegal?

Edit: ah, you're both in the good old us of a. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

KARMA! posted:

Since when is filtering in the UK illegal?

Edit: ah, you're both in the good old us of a. Carry on.

Much as I love having a bike for the sake of it, I really don't know if I'd bother if splitting was illegal and enforced. I really feel for you guys.

Not only is it legal over here, but unless the cyclist is doing something actively wrong then the car will be found 100% at fault in the event of a collision. Not that it stops it hurting, of course.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I spent six months in Washington this year for work and only put 300 miles on the bike.
Between the homicidal drivers, not being able to lane split on the parking lot known as the 5, the constant lovely weather and Seattle making you pay for parking like a car it wasn't worth it.
The only reason I even put that many miles on is because I wanted to ride to Rainier and St. Helen's.
I've been back in CA for three months and have put 5k on the bike since returning.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Mister Duck posted:

Yeah, riding with a friend who spent a couple of years in London has got me following him down the holes in traffic, despite it being illegal. I've decided I will eat the ticket if need be, I would rather be splitting. I don't filter at lights though, apart from lining up to do it in case someone doesn't stop. I find that doing it at lights invites a world of crazy road rage.

I think splitting gives people the same kind of rage but the difference is that you're long gone and they can't catch up to you. I had a guy in a pickup raging at me for filtering to the front of a light before a highway onramp. A mile down the road I look over and some dude in a lifted Chevy is half hanging out of his window shouting and pointing at me. Thinking back, it could have been an off duty cop asking me to pull over but there was no way I was stopping for a screaming swerving guy. I just positioned myself with some cars between us and sneaked off at the next exit.

I know one dude who spends so much time staring at his phone that he misses half of the green light cycle of every light, causing everyone behind him to have to wait thru another cycle. One day a cyclist split thru traffic to the front and it tripped a rage sensor in his brain. "How disrespectful" he thought. Silly.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm always amazed at people who get mad at people for filtering. They're like children who can't have any candy so they spit all over it and walk away in a huff.
Someone filtering by you is in absolutely no way making your commute any longer. In fact they are making it shorter by at least one car length! You should be thanking us! If 20 bikes slip by that is 20 less cars trying (and failing) to zipper in where the lane goes away up ahead or merging in from that other freeway.

Also, nothing saying they can't get a bike and do the same.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Figured I would throw up my story now the police portion is complete.

I somehow managed to crash my F800GS at low speed, on a straight road with no traffic.

My recollection of events is as follows:

I took a right turn at low speed onto a new street and began accelerating as per normal back to the speed limit. Suddenly my back end completely lost all traction, I tried to react, failed to do anything meaningful in time other than somehow ensure I was thrown over the bike as opposed to being dragged along underneath it. This is *probably* where I did something stupid but the only thing I really remember is freaking out and thinking "Is this going to hurt as much as I think it will?"

Came too on the ground, rang my boss to let him know I was going to be late to work "by just a little while" until the gas whistle kicked in and I was informed I was not going to work anytime soon despite how important I seemed to think it was.

Got to the hospital;

Dislocated toes
Pulled something in my shoulder
Some broken bones in my foot

That was about it.

At any rate I headed into the police station tonight to wrap it up only to find out there will be no charges because eyewitness statements match up with the one I gave pretty much perfectly.

The first reported seeing me moving up the street at slow speed "before his bike started to wobble side to side violently and he crashed" while the other reports seeing me moving up the street at slow speed "then his engine made a weird a noise, his bike swung to one side and then he crashed".

I am all insured etc. They did cut up the jacket I have been wearing for eight years which was a very sad moment for me :(

"Oh you're insured? Lets cut all the things!"

*edit*

Obligatory "ATGATT". In what was a very rare occasion I was not wearing my boots or pants. I was late to work and made the retarded decision to only throw on a jacket and helmet to try and reduce my lateness. The best part? The last thing I thought as I pulled out of the drive way "Its ok, its not like im going to crash or something".

Too many accident free years made me complacent, a mistake ill not make again in a hurry.

insidius fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 15, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sorry about your wobble. A broken foot is a pain but overall you didn't come off too badly it seems. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

Sounds like when the back slid you just cut the throttle a bit and sent the bike into the wobbles. Easy to do, I just did the same a couple of weeks ago in some deep gravel and nearly ate it myself. The rear slid a bit and I didn't keep the throttle open enough and my front wheel tried to stuff itself into the gravel and it made me shut the throttle completely. I tried to open it smooth again but ended up whisky throttling it real good, which led to closing it too much again...etc. I don't have the experience in deep gravel and my bike is very jerky from off throttle to on so it was butt pucker moment. I had a good 3 wobbles like yours before I lucked out and it straightened out.

Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't, ya just gotta add it to your experience and learn from it. Glad you're mostly okay :)

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Ooof, got my first street crash out of the way. Had a call that my mom was in the ER so I was chucking it back from work to meet my brother and drive over to see her and I low sided through a turn that I have made over 1000 times to/from work. I was probably going an extra 5-10 mph than normal,so probably 30-35mph, and the front washed out. I'm thinking either debris/liquids in the road because there was a pair of cars crashed 30 yards up the road from where I was turning through. Either that or I got spooked and tapped the front brake like a chump. I have a front fender mounted video of the crash that I will splice out the clip from soon but it doesn't show much of my inputs and was there mainly in case a car ever took me out. Luckily I avoided all cars across 3 lanes and just slid to a leisurely halt when I hit the curb.

Ambulance came, asked if I wanted to be checked out. I was feeling fine, so I declined. No broken bones, head didn't hit (or if it did there is no scrape on my helmet) but I showed them the road rash and they said to clean it and bandage it. It's about the size of a quarter on my knee and has some asphalt in it. My assrashİ wasn't deep enough to even bleed since the jacket protected most of my rear end. Aside from rubbing alcohol (which I have already liberally dosed it in) what can I use to get this asphalt out?

My jacket has a quarter size hole worn through the elbow to the armor below, the back of the jacket is fine but the backpack I was wearing is thoroughly ripped. My AXO boots survive yet another crash. I was lucky I put those on this morning instead of sneakers since I usually only wear them for trackdays. I was wearing jeans, hence the asphalt (and denim) in knee and bit of assrashİ. Kinda funny I wreck in jeans since I rode for 7 hours yesterday in my full 1 piece track suit going out to Skyline drive and back from MD.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

schreibs posted:

Aside from rubbing alcohol (which I have already liberally dosed it in) what can I use to get this asphalt out?
Hate to tell you this; but you've gotta scrub it. Getting the debris out of a wound is usually pretty important, which is why you'll swear that nurses are scrubbing your fresh wound with a combination of sandpaper and loofah when you go to hospital.

If it has already scabbed over some; but it's still fresh and you know there's grit in there...I'd soak it in warm water until things are loose enough for you to get back at the wound itself. Scrub the wound carefully; but vigorously from different directions with warm water and soap and a washcloth. Some of the dead skin will come off and some of the grit will come out, both of which will help you heal faster. If you've still got bits embedded after that, you can get in there with a sterilized tweezer or sewing needle. Finish off with hydrogen peroxide or alcohol if you lack the former and bandage it lightly so it can breathe. Keep it bandaged in the daytime and then try to keep it open in the evenings once it stops oozing everywhere. Cleaning wounds properly always hurts; but you'll be far worse off if that crap scabs over and infects.

Glad you're okay. Cheers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If you've already used soap and water there is literally no need to use alcohol or peroxide. All you're going to do is give yourself needless pain, damage tissue further and maybe get yourself more of a scar.

You don't need to cover/uncover with the bandage, your wounds heal faster when it's protected from air and kept moist-sh. Keep it covered and use an antibacterial ointment if you've got it for a few days (change the bandage and gently clean the wound with water (and soap if it's big) once a day). Scabbing doesn't make you heal faster or anything. But it's small, so gently caress it, it doesn't really matter, I guess.

All of the other advice is spot on good, though.

Sorry to sperg.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 22, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EvilSlug posted:

Hate to tell you this; but you've gotta scrub it. Getting the debris out of a wound is usually pretty important, which is why you'll swear that nurses are scrubbing your fresh wound with a combination of sandpaper and loofah when you go to hospital.

Back when my mom was a young teenager, she washed out on her grandma's bicycle on a gravel road. When she came home, bawling her eyes out with rashed-up legs, her grandma (who was a nurse) grabbed the nailbrush and told her "are you going to do it, or shall I?".

Obviously my mom protested and wanted to go straight to the ER, only be told that they would do the exact same thing there, only she wouldn't be allowed to do it herself, and they would hold her down while doing it. Great-grandma was a real no-nonsense sort of person.

If there's grit in the wound, it's probably the only way to get it out. It's going to hurt like a motherfucker, but it's better than having a shitload of grit embedded in you.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Schreibs, is your mom okay? :ohdear:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Schreibs, is your mom okay? :ohdear:

That's what I am still trying to figure out. She apparently had some sort of cardiac issue. Blacked out at work, went to the ER, was discharged to a normal room after it was determined it wasn't life threatening. Had tests done that revealed some type of arrhythmia. Let her go from the hospital today and they are monitoring for two weeks using this mobile heart dealie. Thanks for asking. This crash is probably something I never tell her about. :sigh:

I rewatched the video and realized that I downshifted one extra time than I thought and got on the throttle before I even hit the apex. Don't ride with emotions, poo poo sucks. :eng99:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You were in a hurry but had time to record your ride? That's... odd.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

n8r posted:

You were in a hurry but had time to record your ride? That's... odd.

I don't think it's that odd? I had the GoPro in my helmet from recording my commute during the morning, snapped it into it's usual place so I didn't have to hold it and it's setup for one button recording so I just hit the button like I normally do for every commute.

Anyway...here is the least spectacular crash you will see, right up there with mootmoot quality fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TklrAvUQhnE

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

god damnit... I fail at posting too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
schreibs... what the gently caress happened there? cold tires, bad posture, and brake tap?

Oh and I used a wire brush to get all the gravel out of my knee last month.
Walked into the nearest restaurant and stole a salt shaker, poured it on, and rode home.

No infection and the knee seems to have healed pretty well.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

schreibs posted:

Anyway...here is the least spectacular crash you will see, right up there with mootmoot quality fame.

Actually, still better than MootMoot. You at least entered the turn.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

schreibs... what the gently caress happened there? cold tires, bad posture, and brake tap?

Oh and I used a wire brush to get all the gravel out of my knee last month.
Walked into the nearest restaurant and stole a salt shaker, poured it on, and rode home.

No infection and the knee seems to have healed pretty well.

Wait what?
You salted your knee?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I hear it goes well with tomato and basil.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Wait what?
You salted your knee?

Tastes good man.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

n8r posted:

Wait what?
You salted your knee?

If you do that and then stick a 9-volt onto it for a bit you at least get a really good excuse for the scar

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I constantly get road rash (not from motorcycles) and I heal best by letting it scab up. I've tried most methods including regular bandaging and tegaderm "second skin" patches. I'm also not too terribly OCD about scrubbing the wounds - I just give them a basic clean and ensure nothing looks out of sorts and call it a day. The first few showers always suck.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

A younger 22ish guy I know at work has been asking me about motorcycles for several months now, as he was looking to get into the hobby. I gladly advised him about the MSF, starter bikes, gear, etc. I always heavily emphasized the MSF (and even gave him the web URL), as he has no prior experience and I had a weird feeling about him. He seemed very open-minded and eager to learn however, and I promised to take him out for a slow ride someday once he got all set up.

About 10 days ago I saw him come walking in holding a helmet. "Hey man, I got a bike! It's so much fun!" I congratulated him and asked where he did the MSF. "OH, I'm just riding on my permit. I'm gonna do the class when I save some cash for it...". I literally waggled my finger at him and shook my head, but what can you do. He told me he bought a 250 "'cause you've gotta start somewhere" so at least he took my advice there. I told him the faux-leather bomber jacket he was wearing was no good and he promised to buy gear when he saved more of the aforementioned cash.

Later, I drove through the parking lot and see a brand-spanking new CBR 250 with dealer plates, fresh off the lot. He works a very low-paying job so I know he financed that poo poo. I shake my head again, and joked him later that it was going to be an expensive lesson when he forgets to put down his kickstand and drops it. He laughed, and made fun of me for speaking from experience.

Yesterday one of his co-workers who rides told me he went up a fairly advanced canyon road and went wide in a turn and wiped out on the dirt of the opposite shoulder. Apparently he's okay and "trying to keep it on the down-low" :downs: I guess the bike sustained some broken levers and destroyed fairings. It's going to be very hard to not give him a ton of poo poo on this, as it sounds like a completely avoidable case of target fixation/ignorance of countersteer & slow-look-lean-roll.

Take your MSF kiddos! It's a lot cheaper than replacing new-model fairings on a financed bike!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Most people need to learn from their own mistakes and happily ignore good advice without too much of an immediate effect their whole lives. The problem with ignoring that advice and learning from your own mistakes on bikes is it's generally pretty expensive or detrimental to your health with you ignore advice and gently caress up.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

schreibs posted:

I don't think it's that odd? I had the GoPro in my helmet from recording my commute during the morning, snapped it into it's usual place so I didn't have to hold it and it's setup for one button recording so I just hit the button like I normally do for every commute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TklrAvUQhnE

When I watch these GoPro bike vids, I always think to myself how well composed the riders are when they come off. When I dropped my bike a few years ago I was cussing myself blue inside my helmet. I'm pretty sure my visor misted up.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I usually don't say a word, maybe a very deep sigh, but if I was a cartoon there'd be steam coming out of my ears. At least that's how I've felt the (thankfully) few times I've crashed (mostly on snowmobiles). Except for that one time where I broke quite a lot of stuff, but then again I can barely recall anything about that day at all, even the hours before the crash, so maybe I steamed then too. :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Had my first lowside yesterday. Turning out of a curve and I think I must have accelerated too quickly for whatever the road was, rear wheel lost traction or slipped, fell right off onto my back and stopped dead, while the bike kept sliding on 20 or so feet without me. Might have been my lean angle instead, I've been scraping the pegs in my turns more often. It happened real suddenly. Got it up and checked it out, mirrors bent and one of the brackets holding my turn signal bent, but nothing broke and I just brute forced them back into place. I got really lucky, I guess? No traffic and I just took off again.

Really surprised how much it messed with me, it got up in my head. Made me feel way more embarrassed and idiotic than anything I had ever had been before. At least doing the post drop check led to me finding a bolt that was just straight missing and was probably missing since before the accident.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 26, 2013

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Glad you got lucky. Post-accident embarrassment is a powerful influence that leads normal dudes with injuries to try and hop back on their broken bikes while saying "It's okay!", dumbass sport-bros to throwing their helmet at nearby objects in anger, and gearless cruiser guys to marauding around the accident scene like angry gorillas.

Really the best thing you can do is just get out of traffic/danger and lay down. When I had my crash the adrenaline was so crazy that I felt like I couldn't breathe inside my helmet, so I took it off and rolled it far away from me. Cue every officer/emt saying "WERE YOU EVEN WEARING A HELMET YOU MORON?" as an icebreaker.

Wrecks are scary, regardless of their severity. It's normal to be affected by it, don't try and push anything as you get back on the bike. If you're not comfortable, hang it up for the day. No big deal.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Saw a wreck up close tonight right outside my house that unnerved me. There's a sharply curved hill that people take way to fast all the time, and the guy must have done the same. His bike was on its side facing up the hill, and it looked like he had flipped over the top after the bike stopped sliding because he was on the other side facing down the hill. Guy only had a half helmet on with street clothes.

A neighbor had already called 911 so I just helped get oncoming traffic to slow down and avoid him ( there's bad visibility on both ends of the hill) until cops and paramedics got there.

Really hope he made it, but he was unconscious, unresponsive and barely breathing when they got there. It also looked like he had been bleeding quite a bit from the side of his head on the ground. Police were outside for a good four or five hours after, and I definitely saw some crime scene vehicles come in.

Hope this is on topic for this thread. Just kind of had to type it out. I've never wrecked a bike and wear my full gear, but seeing him lying there still just got to me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't understand why people wear half-helmets. Like, why not just wear a fullfaced one and keep the visor up? It's probably the same feeling of wind and bugs in your face.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

For the same reason people dress up to go to a strip mall or play loud music in their car: getting off on imagining other people caring about things inherently found obnoxious by virtually the entire population

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mef989 posted:

Really hope he made it, but he was unconscious, unresponsive and barely breathing when they got there. It also looked like he had been bleeding quite a bit from the side of his head on the ground. Police were outside for a good four or five hours after, and I definitely saw some crime scene vehicles come in.

For what it's worth, even relatively minor head wounds bleed a lot.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Xovaan posted:

For the same reason people dress up to go to a strip mall or play loud music in their car: getting off on imagining other people caring about things inherently found obnoxious by virtually the entire population

I play loud music in my car because I'm half-deaf. :saddowns:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Safety Dance posted:

For what it's worth, even relatively minor head wounds bleed a lot.

Blood or clear fluid out the ears/nose is the real tell-tale sign. Major brain trauma. The ragged breathing thing too. You'll know it when you hear it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

Major brain trauma. The ragged breathing thing too. You'll know it when you hear it.

:smith: This. This is something that you don't forget.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

I play loud music in my car because I'm half-deaf. :saddowns:

I play loud music because I like loud music v:shobon:v

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n8r posted:

Wait what?
You salted your knee?

yup. It helps draw out all the fluids and nastiness from the area, ESPECIALLY if you've had to take a wire brush to it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yup. It helps draw out all the fluids and nastiness from the area, ESPECIALLY if you've had to take a wire brush to it.

Umm, this is about as true as garlic warding off vampires. A 40%+ saline solution MIGHT help disinfect a wound but some bad things living on your skin like staph and poo poo are pretty resistant to this to begin with.

If you're just sand-papering salt crystals into your skin you're wasting your time and probably causing further tissue damage. You're also drawing water out of your cells when they need to be moist and probably killing some, too, when they need to be alive. Your best bet is to scrub gently with a slightly soapy (preferably antibacterial if it's a larger wound) water, and then rinse it clean with more clean water.

I don't know why you would think curing your wound like a ham is in any way a good idea. Do you also think you need to sear your steaks to keep the moisture in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Always put salt in your eyesknees.

• Locked thread