Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Glamorama26 posted:

Remember when he was mega pushed? Like he was beating Kane clean.

Yes, he owned and I was not being ironic when I said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Rodney the Piper posted:

That angle had a sparkle of hope. Things like Heidenreich, the Steiner-HHH feud, or the McMahon-Orton WrestleMania match which opened with a lock up, really didn't. I'm curious when we'll get people on here who not only defend those awful angles but actively indicate they're the reason they started watching.

Okay well an angle that is considered awful (and I think was at the time too) but I remember liking is the HHH-Booker Wrestlemania program. I wanted Booker to win so badly.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Rodney the Piper posted:

Do we have posters that are nostalgic for the worst of 2000s WWE yet? I'm hit and miss on which threads I read, so I'm not sure if we've actually had anyone young enough to insist that the Undertaker vs. Dudleys feud was great or anything.

I started watching when I was 10 back in 2003, and even I don't look back fondly at that time. The one thing I'll admit to having extreme nostalgia goggles for is the PCS challenge vignettes from TNA, which is why I still have a soft spot for Kevin Nash.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

NienNunb posted:

I started watching when I was 10 back in 2003, and even I don't look back fondly at that time. The one thing I'll admit to having extreme nostalgia goggles for is the PCS challenge vignettes from TNA, which is why I still have a soft spot for Kevin Nash.

I wonder how much PSP would have in common when admitting their favorite crap?

Then again, I see no shaming in admitting to liking IRS, Rick Martel's Model gimmick, or Too Much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Until I started posting here, I thought I was the only one who would admit to marking out for The Brood.

VVV Do you call it the Fartshooter or the Scorpion Poopsock?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 28, 2013

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

who the gently caress bought this and why

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

VVV Do you call it the Fartshooter or the Scorpion Poopsock?

Shartshooter, duh.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Just about on-topic I think, Backlash 2001 was my first wrestling PPV and the Duchess of Queensbury match between William Regal and Chris Jericho remains one of my favourite wrestling things ever. All rough quotes. :)

Y2J: "We're in The Windy City... but it looks like the Duchess comes from The Uglayyy Citayyy!"

Fink: "The time limit for round one has expiiiiired!"
:bahgawd: : "Round one!?"
Heyman: Oh, I forgot to tell you about the rounds!"

:bahgawd: : "Duchess, my foot!"

(Y2J puts the Duchess in the Walls)
Heyman: "But she's a Duchess!!"
:bahgawd: : "This could cause an international incident!"

I also watched (late) WCW before I ever saw WWE and was hyped for the likes of Kronik, Chuck Palumbo, Sean O'Haire, and I really liked the Invasion at the time (remember when Booker T wanted to emulate The Rock's movie success so he went to a film studio, where he told them he was THE BOOKERMAN and they thought he said The Boogerman? Classic). I recently watched a few Invasion PPVs and I still have a bit of a soft spot for some things. I mean, not 'taker literally battering not-so-ironic stalker DDP in a cage or Perry Saturn being infatuated with a mop, but RVD being cool and Heyman on commentary and The Hurricane. Heck, even though I know the ref should never have the most heat, I do like Nick Patrick's "Curses, foiled again!" schtick when the WWE guy makes his comeback following shenanigans.

My friends and I also have a soft spot for Stone Cold beating up Booker in the supermarket post-Invasion. Everything about it, from Booker establishing that he's the villain by eating cereal out the box and the random Waldorf and Statler-esque asides with Vince and Flair, to Austin walking out of the fridge and "When the moon, hits your eye, like a biiiig, pizza pie, that's amoorrrréééé!".

In other words I really like the ridiculous and campy side of wrestling. Give me a bit to remember and I'm sure I'll have some genuinely fond memories of the weird 2002-2005 era of WWE.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The supermarket brawl is the second funniest thing WWE have ever made, just behind the Funtime USA hardcore brawl.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
2 Cool and Rikishi were held down from the top of the card and I will stand by that statement until the day I die.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bigass Moth posted:

2 Cool and Rikishi were held down from the top of the card and I will stand by that statement until the day I die.

They did try to push Rikishi as a main eventer and it went badly. So so badly as he did it for the rock.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Hirams Bitch posted:

I can't figure out what that asterisk is blocking can someone please help?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Bard Maddox posted:

I can't figure out what that asterisk is blocking can someone please help?

The letter "I"

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Wish "U" were missing instead

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

B*tt "Shitman" Fart doesn't have the same ring to it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjE9J6xdQXY&t=78s

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Recently read about half of this wiki (I guess?) style page that listed the complete history of TNAs gently caress ups. Definitely found the link somewhere in psp, just can't remember the thread. Anyway I really want to read the rest but can't find it anywhere. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

http://taimapedia.org/index.php?title=LOLTNA_History
?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

That's a bingo! Thanks oldpainless.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

VogeGandire posted:

The supermarket brawl is the second funniest thing WWE have ever made, just behind the Funtime USA hardcore brawl.

"PRICE CHECK ON JACKASS!!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Happy Happyist posted:

"PRICE CHECK ON JACKASS!!"

I can't do it justice in text but even better is when Austin starts singing I think That's Amore while wailing on Booker T.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I can't do it justice in text but even better is when Austin starts singing I think That's Amore while wailing on Booker T.

I must be the only person in the world that hated watching Booker T looking like a total moron loser for 10 minutes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hirams Bitch posted:

why not?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wrestling confessions? I loved the Hardy Boyz. TnA should have had a tag title run. Jindrak and O'Haire are one of my favourite tag teams ever. I never got the appeal of Tazz.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The first wrestling angle I really followed intently was Booker T vs. Scott Steiner (as Big Poppa Pump, with Buff Bagwell as his bumbling assistant) in the first half of '99. WCW was already starting to roll off the tracks by this point but I liked Booker and it was a good contrast between his athleticism and Steiner just being this giant monster. And Buff Bagwell being utterly hateworthy was actually a positive for the angle.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

I never got the appeal of Tazz.

he doesn't need weapons. his hands are his weapons.

all his friends are dead or in jail.

he will CHOKE YOU OUT.

also he's 5'4"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rarity posted:

He sucks and people love bad things.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tazz is a tiny fella and he will put you in the KATAHAJIME.

MY GAWWWWD.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It's really hard to like Taz unless you watched him in ecw in the mid 90's. He was a loving monster there.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
After a mention of it on OSW Review I decided to check out the Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior. It was weird to watch a retrospective on a guy that virtually nobody in the retrospective liked and only really served to bury him some 10 years or so (at the time) after the fact.

Ted DiBiase has made no bones there and elsewhere about how much he can't stand the Warrior and why, but Ric Flair appeared to be absolutely fuming red just being there and I can't think of a time when he and Warrior really interacted. Could anyone shed some light on this?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Rarity posted:

Wrestling confessions? I loved the Hardy Boyz. TnA should have had a tag title run. Jindrak and O'Haire are one of my favourite tag teams ever. I never got the appeal of Tazz.

He calls women "tomatoes", that appeals to my tomato fetish.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

After a mention of it on OSW Review I decided to check out the Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior. It was weird to watch a retrospective on a guy that virtually nobody in the retrospective liked and only really served to bury him some 10 years or so (at the time) after the fact.

Ted DiBiase has made no bones there and elsewhere about how much he can't stand the Warrior and why, but Ric Flair appeared to be absolutely fuming red just being there and I can't think of a time when he and Warrior really interacted. Could anyone shed some light on this?

Flair and Warrior worked a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sll3sc5gyhc

Also, somehow someone got a video of them working from a '92 house show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZegIJ6T-o4

Pretty much everyone in wrestling is united in their hatred of the Ultimate Warrior. Flair probably hated the Warrior because in order to get him to work safe you would have to shoot on him in the ring and/or threaten him with bodily harm.

Warrior refused to come in to work on the DVD, so what you got was an hour-and-a-half long burial of the Ultimate Warrior, as if it were someone else's idea to push this guy. Ric worked with him a little, but you had plenty of guys on the DVD who never worked with him and have probably never met him, and just came in to make fun of him. And then there's an entire segment putting over his ring music.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rarity posted:

Tazz took on an "ultimate fighter" style gimmick when that was still a very new thing that had a lot of mystique to it (and audiences would confuse a guy doing weird suplexes and chokeholds for a MMA fighter). A dude built like a fireplug doing explosive suplexes on people was also a unique thing in ECW, especially when he'd T-bone somebody through a table.

Gonz posted:

Tazz is a tiny fella and he will put you in the KATAHAJIME.
I've had to explain the Tazzmission to a couple people, one of whom is an indie worker. Invisible gi!

Ghostpilot posted:

I watched Flair on several Legends of Wrestling episodes and other stuff for WWE, and he always seems cranky and bitter and shits on everyone. Maybe he didn't really want to be there but needs the payday; maybe he's always bitter about the fact that he's one of the greatest of all time and he's made himself into a punchline. The last time I saw him look genuinely happy was a video of him hanging out at a convention with Harley Race.

Deadman63
Apr 16, 2005

Thank you so much for this; I was wondering what I was going to do at work all day. I've just stared and have already seen the words "this was never followed up on/never explained" like a dozen times already.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Ghostpilot posted:

If I remember Flair's book right, Warrior botched a slam which caused Ric to rupture an eardrum and have some serious issues with equilibrium and balance. That's one of the reasons they took the belt off him so quickly after he won it back from Macho Man, and I think he said it's something that still occasionally flares up on him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On top of that, Flair was around during Warrior's disastrous WCW run and I think in general everyone there got a bad impression of him there- the trapdoor thing alone caused serious injuries, and that was apparently one of his ideas.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Why did Christoper Daniels never get a legit shot in WWF/WCW/ECW (not counting his brief time at the tail end of WCW when they hired anybody)?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Bigass Moth posted:

Why did Christoper Daniels never get a legit shot in WWF/WCW/ECW (not counting his brief time at the tail end of WCW when they hired anybody)?

He's small and doesn't have a great look. There was no reason he couldn't have gotten a shot, he'd just have needed breaks he didn't get.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Did you really want to see "Daniel Christopher", Jobber to the Stars, in WWE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The WWF did sign him as a jobber briefly, didn't they? I dunno man, WWF signed him in the late 1990s, WCW in 2001, he's worked a bunch for ROH and TNA. Dude has legit had a pretty decent wrestling career. There are a lot of great guys who have had worse.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 29, 2013