Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I am seriously torn on this.

Haven't played since the beta and i remember rogue being all manner of teleporting swishy wishy amusement. Which.. rather appeals.

Then i look at cleric and i'm all "oh god, i could be all the things"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I have the same dilemma at the moment. I also seem to remember that Cleric was way easier to play than Rogue, at least on the survivability side of things ?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

I have the same dilemma at the moment. I also seem to remember that Cleric was way easier to play than Rogue, at least on the survivability side of things ?

Don't rogues have a pet class? That would seem to make it very much a "heh" so far as pve goes. That's generally an "I win" button.

Ah, screw it.

Defiant Rogue Tashanelle reporting for duty on deepwood

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 27, 2013

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Is there a ranged leveling build somewhere? All the ones on the Rift forums are for melee and the ranged builds that are there are for endgame that scream not to use for leveling because you'll get wrecked.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

jabro posted:

Is there a ranged leveling build somewhere? All the ones on the Rift forums are for melee and the ranged builds that are there are for endgame that scream not to use for leveling because you'll get wrecked.

For most (all?) of the pre-SL content you can pretty much use whatever spec you want. Use one of the templates to start out with if you want to go ranged until you figure out the soul system. Once you hit SL content the mobs hit way harder and have a lot more HP so you generally need a more survivable spec (which generally ends up being melee).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jabro posted:

Most of the leveling builds are melee. Rogues and Clerics get tanking pets but they don't seem to be as effective after level 50. The Warrior ranged soul isn't that great whether you're by yourself or not, and the Harbinger soul for Mage is the best leveling spec in the game, but it's melee.

Stigmas
Sep 6, 2010
Posting to get Sinvitas invited to goonsquad.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

anthonypants posted:

Most of the leveling builds are melee. Rogues and Clerics get tanking pets but they don't seem to be as effective after level 50. The Warrior ranged soul isn't that great whether you're by yourself or not, and the Harbinger soul for Mage is the best leveling spec in the game, but it's melee.

Yea, no. Tempest is the only ranged soul a warrior gets, and it is a god drat life saver for any progression or otherwise mechanic heavy fight. Don't knock the spec until you've actually used it.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

anthonypants posted:

Clerics get tanking pets but they don't seem to be as effective after level 50

I am not raid-geared, but my cleric tank pet in druidicar (solo) spec can handle 5-6 mobs without issues, keeping aggro on all of them while keeping himself mostly alive without my help, with my help the healing directed at the pet is overkill.

It is not a substitute for a real tank, and would never work in a dungeon setting but for soloing, world events, rifts I haven't seen any effectiveness drop after 50.

You sure you know what you're talking about?

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

mr. nobody posted:

Since Rift is (back) on steam now, it also has steam trading cards, of which I just sold a greenscale one for $1.90; when my other ones sell I'll have enough to buy some credits with steam wallet. There are almost no rift cards up for sale right now so get selling if you're going to.

Where are you getting these? I looked on steam and didn't see anything, so I guess I'm missing it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Blinks77 posted:

Then i look at cleric and i'm all "oh god, i could be all the things"

They are working on new souls for the next expansion that will let every class be all of the things.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Kreczor posted:

Yea, no. Tempest is the only ranged soul a warrior gets, and it is a god drat life saver for any progression or otherwise mechanic heavy fight. Don't knock the spec until you've actually used it.

tempest is not really viable to use on progression in t2 (or even really t1) because its undertuned as gently caress and the dps on it blows. it doesnt help that the widely accepted tempest rotations fail to have 100% ec uptime but even if you run EC>arc cp/dp>oscillation priority rotations it will still parse like poo poo compared to pyro, marks, inq.

the pts changes mean top parsing tempest builds will have a 1.5s gcd and 3 subrotations which feel like poo poo, pretty much like rb plays now (simon says with your kalerts).

the problem is that it's necessary as a subsoul because of amped. wl variants of top st builds lose way too much by not having tempest in them, so yes, if you're going to be raiding and the least bit concerned with maximising your output, it's pretty much necessary.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Bonapartisan posted:

Where are you getting these? I looked on steam and didn't see anything, so I guess I'm missing it.

I logged into steam today and had 4 rift trading cards in my steam inventory.

Rift isn't marked as one, usually when games are part of Steam's trading card program they are; if you play a "Steam trading card eligible game" (using steam to play it) for certain lengths of time you gain trading cards up to a maximum of usually 3-5. Collect the full set of 6-10 cards and you get "steam experience points" which does I don't know what, makes your friends envy you or something I guess.

You can sell the trading cards on steam marketplace; because there are so few for sale, the value is/was between 1.50-2.00 per card at the time I placed mine for sale. Usually they are 9-12 cents for games with lots of people playing them. At certain thresholds (no idea what makes it happen), people that have earned the max possible for having purchased/played the game get 'booster packs' of a couple more cards to use/trade/sell.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

mr. nobody posted:

I logged into steam today and had 4 rift trading cards in my steam inventory.

Rift isn't marked as one, usually when games are part of Steam's trading card program they are; if you play a "Steam trading card eligible game" (using steam to play it) for certain lengths of time you gain trading cards up to a maximum of usually 3-5. Collect the full set of 6-10 cards and you get "steam experience points" which does I don't know what, makes your friends envy you or something I guess.

You can sell the trading cards on steam marketplace; because there are so few for sale, the value is/was between 1.50-2.00 per card at the time I placed mine for sale. Usually they are 9-12 cents for games with lots of people playing them. At certain thresholds (no idea what makes it happen), people that have earned the max possible for having purchased/played the game get 'booster packs' of a couple more cards to use/trade/sell.

I see. I found this for Rift:

How can I earn more drops?
Card drops in free to play games are rewards for spending money in game.
You have not purchased anything in game after this card set was released.
(Approx 9.00 USD)

Which I guess means I need to spend 9 dollars on Rift through Steam Wallet to earn card drops. I have card drops in other games, but no idea how to like, redeem them. The FAQ isn't too helpful.

Edit: Seems to get the cards in other (eligible) games you own, you have to play the game. Then they randomly appear in your inventory after X time played.

Bonapartisan fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 28, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Do I have to download the whole drat thing within steam and have it in there in order to use the steam wallet/get cards?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Bonapartisan posted:

I see. I found this for Rift:

How can I earn more drops?
Card drops in free to play games are rewards for spending money in game.
You have not purchased anything in game after this card set was released.
(Approx 9.00 USD)

Which I guess means I need to spend 9 dollars on Rift through Steam Wallet to earn card drops. I have card drops in other games, but no idea how to like, redeem them. The FAQ isn't too helpful.

Ahh that makes sense, I did spend money on rift through steam wallet when I saw it was available.

As far as rift/steam integration if you didn't have it from steam from a while back, I think you start the install with steam, then just copy the files over from where they are in your current install (COPY, save current files/location until you know it's working) into the steam directory. Restart steam and run rift? (I haven't done this in a while, but I remember it being a few simple steps long ago when it first arrived on steam)

I remember the trick to it all is letting steam create the initial install directory/add it to your library. If you verify game cache in steam you might have to repatch from the rift patcher because the steam version will be however long out of date. This cache verification might be needed to get steam and rift to synch up after copying files over. Sorry I can't be more specific than that, it's been a while.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Eltoasto posted:

Do I have to download the whole drat thing within steam and have it in there in order to use the steam wallet/get cards?

Yes.

E: Well the method above might work, but I meant that you need to have it in your library and to start it through steam to get a card as far as I know.

Also to "redeem" them, you can either wait to get a full collection or go into your inventory, click on a card and then on sell in the field on the right.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Here's the advice I had a rough time finding through a google search, it seems to be what I remember doing.

quote:

Download the installer from steam > run it > close it > copy your "assets" folder from your program files/RIFT folder

This worked for several people as of yesterday:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/39120/discussions/0/792924952614820539/

quote:

Start installation, let it download the installer to steam, then copy all your rift folder over to the steam rift folder, start game from steam ,small update and all done, thats what i did last night

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 28, 2013

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Character name is Vortikai, would like an invite. If anyone is on the EU servers as well, any interest in starting up the guild again?

EDIT: Invited. Thanks. Some offered me free bags in the guild bank so I took a few. Now I need to figure out how to coerce a GM to transfer my rogue from the EU servers to the NA one.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 28, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Fathis Munk posted:

They nerfed self-healing down pretty bad, Contempt and Salvation scale with healing instead of damage now and Salvation's return on AOE was nerfed even more, so you can't just roll a glass-cannon spec and stay at full health forever any more.

Defiler is still a cakewalk, but pretty much anything with a pet can borderline AFK while leveling.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Warden Thrax is the best fight.

so much fun stuff going on

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Just started this thing and want to join good squad, my name is Raenter

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
So if I wanted to go for a Warrior DPS build (basically built to duo with either a healing cleric or chloromancer) what would my best approach be? I'd kind of like to 2hs but it's not a dealbreaker. I'm aware of the fact I'll have to have an alt role for dungeons or whatever but I've never played a warrior in rift.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Dead Man Posting posted:

Character name is Vortikai, would like an invite. If anyone is on the EU servers as well, any interest in starting up the guild again?

EDIT: Invited. Thanks. Some offered me free bags in the guild bank so I took a few. Now I need to figure out how to coerce a GM to transfer my rogue from the EU servers to the NA one.

I'd be totally down with an EU guild, but I expect that would have to be started from scratch unless someone still has ownership of it.

As for transferring characters, I believe that they tried transferring between regions, but it caused too much aggravation so it's not allowed.

anthonypants posted:

I've levelled mage, cleric and warrior to near enough 60, and for me the warrior WL/champ build is by far the most fun and capable of taking on the most mobs. I've adapted it to have a 35 metre charge and multi-pull for ranged mobs, and it kicks out ridiculous AoE. Harbinger is ok but it is pretty dull. The best cleric spec for soloing for me was druidicar, but the AoE is anaemic.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 28, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Betjeman posted:

As for transferring characters, I believe that they tried transferring between regions, but it caused too much aggravation so it's not allowed.

Pretty much. As soon they get that sorted (I think they're working on it? I heard something about international play on forums) at least me and Dong are transferring over because gently caress raiding at moontime. We probably won't make or join a goon guild though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Id be up for an EU goon guild, if only for not having guild perks based on what the gm personally wants at that time and gkick everybody who ask what he's doing with the tithe income from 3000 members.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Toast posted:

So if I wanted to go for a Warrior DPS build (basically built to duo with either a healing cleric or chloromancer) what would my best approach be? I'd kind of like to 2hs but it's not a dealbreaker. I'm aware of the fact I'll have to have an alt role for dungeons or whatever but I've never played a warrior in rift.

In terms of Warrior DPS, you really can't go wrong while leveling with a full champion build. With a healer on your side, plus the fact that you can use Warlord as your second spec, you will never die. You shouldn't need an alt role for dungeons, though it could help for queue times if you grab a tank spec. Weapon choice doesn't matter much (in regards of 2h vs. dual wield), just choose the one with more dps. The stat order for warriors is generally DPS > Crit Power > Attack Power > everything else.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

TheCrushinator posted:

Is there an actual dedicated small goon guild on Zaviel, or is it just if we happen to randomly meet and guess we are int he compnay of goons?

I would love to get a dedicated goon guild running on Zaviel. At least now when the AH isn't constantly making GBS threads itself in prime time. All I ever do after hitting 60 and spending most of my credits and marks on gear, is crafting dailies and conquests, but I feel this game has more to offer other than pvp and crafting and the occasional rift.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Bought the Patron edition on steam. Haven't got any of the goodies in game. Find myself bemused and a little confused. Is there some code i'm supposed to enter somewhere?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Blinks77 posted:

Bought the Patron edition on steam. Haven't got any of the goodies in game. Find myself bemused and a little confused. Is there some code i'm supposed to enter somewhere?

Get your CD Keys from Steam and apply them on your Trion Account.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

deimos posted:

Get your CD Keys from Steam and apply them on your Trion Account.

Having just double checked. There isn't any cd key buttons, nor right click option.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Blinks77 posted:

Having just double checked. There isn't any cd key buttons, nor right click option.

Right click on the game in your library. Click View CD-Keys. Because EVERY game has a right click option, I think you're looking in the wrong place.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Right click on the game in your library. Click View CD-Keys. Because EVERY game has a right click option, I think you're looking in the wrong place.

Ohh, i can right click it and a menu comes up. That's fine. But there's no "view cd key" anywhere. Not in links, not in that menu, not if i go "view downloadable content" > right click Rift Patron Edition.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Kreczor posted:

In terms of Warrior DPS, you really can't go wrong while leveling with a full champion build. With a healer on your side, plus the fact that you can use Warlord as your second spec, you will never die. You shouldn't need an alt role for dungeons, though it could help for queue times if you grab a tank spec. Weapon choice doesn't matter much (in regards of 2h vs. dual wield), just choose the one with more dps. The stat order for warriors is generally DPS > Crit Power > Attack Power > everything else.

If you go just far enough into Warlord to get Recovery Posture, then that + Cornered Beast is great healing and you can also use Chains of Life if you absolutely have to.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

If you go just far enough into Warlord to get Recovery Posture, then that + Cornered Beast is great healing and you can also use Chains of Life if you absolutely have to.

The build in question: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-dis...en-48-60-a.html

It works, and is heavily recommended for leveling since it really does make it a breeze.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
How active is the US goonguild during the EUTZ ? I'm not talking about raiding or anything, to me it's more important to just have people around.

rawr im a tree
Jul 4, 2008

Kreczor posted:

The build in question: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-dis...en-48-60-a.html

It works, and is heavily recommended for leveling since it really does make it a breeze.

This build let me clear all of kingsward and most of ashora starting at level 55.

Then I got cornered beast at 57.

edit: Meepo and Corise are both at 58 but Path of Exile released on steam and there isn't enough hours in a single day :smith:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Fathis Munk posted:

How active is the US goonguild during the EUTZ ? I'm not talking about raiding or anything, to me it's more important to just have people around.

I think we almost always have a couple people on in the EUTZ.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I spent like twenty minutes trying to make a macro on my druid/Justicar to heal my pet with Doctrine of Bliss and it refused to work and then I read the skill and it specifically said "self heal". Goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

Hey gang, so tonight we're doing Regulos again. It would be great if we could have 20 raiders online so we can actually kill him and maybe move on to Planebreaker for a bit!

• Locked thread