Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Picked up a Tandberg TR-200 for under $10 at an auction! Needs a couple of bulbs, but other than that it's fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Two great tastes that go great together...Polk Monitor 7s and a Yamaha CR-820! Good for blasting meddlers out of the kitchen when I am trying to cook.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I paired a Pioneer SX-780 with a PL-518 turntable and some Advent Smallers.

I'm pretty happy with how the whole thing turned out (except the lousy picture).

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Love my 780, grew up with one of those in the house and finally got around to picking one up at the bins. 5 lamps, an FM adjustment and a thorough DeOxit cleaning later, it's running down in my workshop. I like your setup!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The heavier tonearm weight I ordered for my DebutIII finally showed up after a long backorder.

I have huge buyers remorse now because I totally forgot I had a quarter glued to the back of the old weight and it was working so well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Seemingly out of nowhere, I've been getting a really bad (what I assume is) resonance/rumble problem out of my main setup. At moderate-to-high volumes, the woofer on the left channel (and sometimes, but much less often, the right channel) will start to vibrate pretty violently. This problem doesn't show up when I play from anything but my turntable, so I'm fairly certain that it's related to that. I've tried accounting for ground loops and whatnot and nothing seems to be helping.

The problem first showed up about a month and a half ago, when I raised my speakers (yes I know, probably bringing them closer to the turntable), but turning on my receiver's low-pass filter took care of it for a while. This past week, it's just started happening all the time (edit: at moderate-to-high volumes, that is) independent of whether the low-pass filter is on or not. Also, moving my speakers (within an admittedly limited range) and lowering them again hasn't solved the problem. I've also messed with the anti-skate in like 50 different ways and still no improvement.

I recorded a quick iPhone video of it happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_-Uxluw_o

The problem starts about 12 seconds in. And yeah, I was listening to the Waterboys at the time, what of it (though it's happened with pretty much every record I've tried)?

The setup:
Cartridge: Audio-Technica CN5625AL
TT: Vector Research VT-250
Receiver: Yamaha Cr-2040
Speakers: Pioneer HPM-900

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 27, 2013

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So it only happens using phono? Have you done extended testing on other inputs? Got a spare phono pre amp? If so move the TT to another input with the preamp and see if the problem follows. If it doesn't most likely an issue in the phono section of your receiver.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm having weird clicks etc when I'm playing records. It seems like a new thing.

Can you guys take a listen and tell me what you think the problem might be?

https://soundcloud.com/user571290037/new-recording-2

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

These were marked $12 each at the Salvation Army last week. The guy at the counter sold them to me as one unit for the price of all three, because he hated to see stereo equipment sets get split up. He was talking with the lady in front of me about the 78s she was buying, and he said something about how he used to have a spring-wound 78 turntable with a hidden horn that played through louvers in the front of the unit.

There was a 40% off sale, so I ended up getting the tuner (Mitsubishi DA-F77), 100 watt per channel amp (Mitsubishi DA-U106), and graphic equalizer (Mitsubishi DA-G157) for $7.20. Now I can finally listen to my YH-1s again! (my old amp's headphone jack broke)

Related question: does anyone know what the "tone pass" and "subsonic filter" buttons on the amp are likely to do to the sound? I can't really hear a difference with the subsonic filter, and can't really characterize what the tone pass filter does to it.

Another related question: are there any decent, inexpensive DACs on Amazon that'll convert TOSLINK to analog?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 28, 2013

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Subsonic filter allows the amp to roll off frequencies below 20hz. Back when LPs were popular, warped records would sometimes produce these frequencies. Even though we can't hear them, the amp would still have to work to produce them. So the button saves the amp the trouble of having to reproduce them, and if you had sealed speaker enclosures you might avoid speaker damage by playing those frequencies at high volumes. Doesn't do much these days, I don't think.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The tone pass usually bypasses the tone controls.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Gomiboy posted:

...if you had sealed speaker enclosures you might avoid speaker damage by playing those frequencies at high volumes. Doesn't do much these days, I don't think.

Vented. Not sealed.

:eng101:

The fixed volume of air behind the driver in a sealed enclosure serves as a spring to dampen cone movement, so subsonic frequencies are unlikely to cause damage to the driver.

In a vented enclosure however, the air is free to move in and out with the movement of the cone, so it's much, much easier for extremely low frequencies at even moderate volumes to push the cone and voice coil beyond their limits of excursion and physically damage the driver.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
New bulbs, much better:

Five extra FM tuners!:

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Looking to upgrade from the Ortofon 2m Red. I've previously owned a Shure 97xe before it. Not looking to really spend more than $200. I'm eyeing the Audio Technica AT440MLA as well as the less expensive AT120, but that doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade from the 2M Red.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Did you not like your Shure 97xe? I just got one in the mail from amazon and haven't mounted it yet.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
It was the first cartridge I had and was fine. After a couple years with it I decided to change to the Ortofon. I feel like the Ortofon is a bit better but the difference isn't that significant to be honest. I've had the Ortofon for a couple of years and now I'm ready for something else.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Everyone seems to love the 440LMa. For something completely different, maybe try moving coil? Denon DL-110, DL-103 (or even 103R) are great options. You'll need a moving coil compatible phono preamp for the 103 and 103R. The 110 is "high output" so you can safely use a regular moving magnet preamp with it.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

beergod posted:

I'm having weird clicks etc when I'm playing records. It seems like a new thing.

Can you guys take a listen and tell me what you think the problem might be?

https://soundcloud.com/user571290037/new-recording-2

Sorry to repost but this is driving me loving nuts. Can anyone take a listen and provide some guidance?

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

beergod posted:

Sorry to repost but this is driving me loving nuts. Can anyone take a listen and provide some guidance?

Is it the same on all of your records?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I can hear it on every record I play. I can really notice it when the record is quiet; raising the volume or playing a rock record drowns it out.

I've replaced the stylus and I even got a new receiver.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
It could be static buildup manifesting in an unusual way, is the turntable definitely properly grounded?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I think so; the preamp has the silver fork thing screwed into it and it doesn't hum.

If that is the problem, what would fix it? Plugging the turntable into a different outlet?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
If that's the case it's probably grounded correctly, but phonograph signals are extremely weak and susceptible to interference. Have a look at the source cabling and make sure that the signal cables don't cross any line voltage power cables. Also if possible place the turntable on a separate wiring circuit from refrigerators and fluorescent lighting.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

That sounds like static discharging between the record and the cartridge's cantilever.

Get yourself a Zerostat gun, shoot both sides of the record with it before playing, and increase the relative humidity in the room to lessen the chance of static building up while the record is playing... A couple of small potted plants are a cheap alternative to buying a humidifier.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Missed out on a pair of ADS 910's that were being given away on Craigslist. Oh well. The gal who was clearing out her basement said she got $100 bucks for them. I didn't have the heart to tell her they go for $1200 on ebay. Oh well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I picked up a Kenwood KA 501 amp the other day, and to look at it you'd say its been in the box since 1980. There's not even dust inside. The fact that I know there's no dust inside means I've opened it up because its not getting power. I don't see obvious bad solder or anything in the wiring from the plug to the power supply. And one of the three auxiliary plugs conveys power to another device. But 2 don't. What's the next step if youre a total ignoramus?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I picked up a Kenwood KA 501 amp the other day, and to look at it you'd say its been in the box since 1980. There's not even dust inside. The fact that I know there's no dust inside means I've opened it up because its not getting power. I don't see obvious bad solder or anything in the wiring from the plug to the power supply. And one of the three auxiliary plugs conveys power to another device. But 2 don't. What's the next step if youre a total ignoramus?

There should be fuses on both sides of the power supply. Check for continuty across each of them with the unit unplugged.

Can you post a pic of the inside of the amp? Helps to guide you a bit better.

It's possible that that the reason you have power to one of the rear sockets is because one is a pass through that is always powered, and the other two are switched by the amplifier itself.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

metaxus posted:

There should be fuses on both sides of the power supply. Check for continuty across each of them with the unit unplugged.

It's possible that that the reason you have power to one of the rear sockets is because one is a pass through that is always powered, and the other two are switched by the amplifier itself.

I got it to power on with a liberal dose of compressed air and jiggling wires by the power supply. Probably not a permanent solution and my left channel is in and out, so I'm going to open it back up for the deoxit treatment. I'll take some pictures over the weekend.

It's a pretty setup. KA 501, KD 4100 turntable, KT 615 tuner, KX 650 tape deck, and an AT 70 timer. Not a scratch to be found, like it just popped out of a time machine. Booklets, schematics, original sales slip. And a pair of speakers.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I got it to power on with a liberal dose of compressed air and jiggling wires by the power supply. Probably not a permanent solution and my left channel is in and out, so I'm going to open it back up for the deoxit treatment. I'll take some pictures over the weekend.

It's a pretty setup. KA 501, KD 4100 turntable, KT 615 tuner, KX 650 tape deck, and an AT 70 timer. Not a scratch to be found, like it just popped out of a time machine. Booklets, schematics, original sales slip. And a pair of speakers.

If you're jiggling wires, then check for dry joints on all the PCBs. If it's got any, reflow them.

It's always a good idea to do this with any vintage piece of electronics gear because a lot of the time, you can spot and stop potential faults before they happen.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

metaxus posted:

If you're jiggling wires, then check for dry joints on all the PCBs. If it's got any, reflow them.

It's always a good idea to do this with any vintage piece of electronics gear because a lot of the time, you can spot and stop potential faults before they happen.

I haven't touched a soldering iron in about 20 years. This is something that half a moron can do if he's careful, right?

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Other than the obvious Klipsch options, what other speakers out there are considered to be good and highly efficient? I have a Fisher tube amp and would like to make the best of it, but don't really have the $$$ to fork out for Cornwalls or Khorns or anything.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

whereismyshoe posted:

Other than the obvious Klipsch options, what other speakers out there are considered to be good and highly efficient? I have a Fisher tube amp and would like to make the best of it, but don't really have the $$$ to fork out for Cornwalls or Khorns or anything.

Klipsch has made quite a few speakers that are both efficient and affordable. I have a pair of KG4s; they're plenty loud and are of good quality.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Picked up another receiver today for free. This time a Nikko 6065. Couldn't find much about it online except that it's about 34 watts/ch and made in Japan around the mid-late 70s. The owner was giving it away because it was completely dead. I was hoping some fuses just needed to be replaced, but when I opened it up, I found that it didn't use fuses at all. Breaker switches instead. Flipped the breakers back on, and the unit works flawlessly. I just need to replace a few bulbs and it'll be good as new. Extremely low DC offset as well, without any tweaking required (under 10mV per channel at the speaker terminals)

Pic from the internet:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

Picked up another receiver today for free. This time a Nikko 6065. Couldn't find much about it online except that it's about 34 watts/ch and made in Japan around the mid-late 70s. The owner was giving it away because it was completely dead. I was hoping some fuses just needed to be replaced, but when I opened it up, I found that it didn't use fuses at all. Breaker switches instead. Flipped the breakers back on, and the unit works flawlessly. I just need to replace a few bulbs and it'll be good as new. Extremely low DC offset as well, without any tweaking required (under 10mV per channel at the speaker terminals)

I have a Nikko 301 that is, I think, a little newer than that one (I think it was produced from '79 to '82). Not at all TOTL but I think it sounds awesome.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I follow a small discussion group of local audio enthusiasts, and last night somebody reported finding a working Marantz 2270 for $25 at a thrift store (no idea why they didn't snatch it up). Somebody replied only half an hour later to report it was already gone. I used to go to that thrift store every couple of days and never came close to a score that good. :sigh:

I guess it just goes to show you never know what you can find. Never stop looking.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My uncle recently gave me a Sony STR-V4 and a pair of Magnepan MG-1s. Both are in excellent shape and the MG-1s had never been moved from their spot in his living room since he bought them new and had nothing but classical and jazz played through them. The Sony seems to be an inexpensive but good quality receiver that I'll probably use in my garage or bedroom, but I'm not sure if I want to keep the Magnepans as I don't have the space to set them up properly (although he had them against the wall and I thought they sounded OK considering what he listens to and the low volume they were typically set at). What would be a reasonable price to ask for the pair of speakers?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Been reading this thread for awhile now. I have a feeling I should stop before it costs me a lot of money.

I've been using a modern Sony turntable with an old (modern) Kenwood A/V receiver. It was so easy to pick these up for nothing when everyone went HDMI. Just got a NAD 6300 tape deck from a friend for $20. He bought it new for around $900, then replaced it shortly after with an all-in-one unit. It's missing one knob, unfortunately.

Theoretically now I just need a CD player component and I have everything I need. Except that I've been reading this thread and have the urge to replace that Kenwood receiver with something cooler. The local used store has a couple of receivers and other equipment I've been looking at.

There's an AKAI AM-2600 (with the tuner (AT-2600), tape deck, and turntable (AP-A50) as well), a Sansui 221 with built in tuner, and a Harmon Kardon hk385i. I plan on bringing headphones and listening to all of them if I can. I haven't indicated I'm interested or asked for prices yet because the owner seems like the kind of guy who would try to charge as much as he can and the more interested I seem the higher he'll go.

Right now I'm leaning towards the AKAI stuff because it all matches in its silver glory, but then I'm in for a lot of work and potential heartbreak as there might be some stuff in there that's just broken, right? After that, it's the Sansui 221 because from what I've read it's a good little receiver/tuner and I don't need a lot of wattage.

Is there anything I'm missing?

I should mention that the only CD player he's got worth looking at was a Sony CDP-590 with no remote. When I asked about it he said it was $50, "And that's less than I paid for it!" So it could be there's no way I'll get anything from this guy for a price I'll be happy with. I'll come back with pics and stuff if I end up buying anything.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That Akai stuff is sexy looking. As far as a cd player goes, I find you can pickup a cheapo DVD player at any thrift store for about $10 bucks, and they'll probably have more life in them than an older CD player (and might not choke on cd-r's, either).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

metaxus posted:

Here's some pics. I cleaned everything yesterday and everything sounds nice. No static, left and right channels both work. The only thing that's not working is the bulbs on the tape deck VU meters. I got them to blink for a split second and then they both went out again. They don't look burned out, but that might be a project for another day.

Here's the inside of the amp:

And the whole setup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Jeeze, what size are those woofers? Nice looking set up, really dig the shelf you are using. I would like something just like that but with two levels since I got a bunch of reel to reel stuff.

I got a new R2R today, a Teac X-2000R, it plays but needs to be serviced. It came with two 35-180 Maxells tapes and a carrying case like a band would have for going on the road. Not sure if it came some band that liked to record their sets or maybe some Deadhead that recorded their shows. Played it for a few hours today with the only issue being sometimes when I pushed play it would just start rewinding.

I've had this table for awhile, it's one of Regas first tables. It has an issue with the wiring just at the base of the unit where the wiring leaves the tonearm. Both channels will work fine without any issues if placed correctly, just have to jingle it some to find the sweet spot. Nervous to work on this one myself since I'm terrible at very small wiring. Awesome looking table and sounds great, not sure if I should keep it since I just picked up a SL-1200.