Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does it control well for an FPS? Console FPS always drove me crazy, coming from someone who's been playing PC FPS for like 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

The loving nursery was insane.

It was such a fun fricken mission. God I want to play it all over again.

I made it THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH and then died at the last zombie bum rush before the door opens

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

jhorphear posted:

Not reall, it hasnt even been out a year and already has atleast 6-8 must own games. A few of those are 3rd party titles.

Most of the must have games have been released only recently. It was a wasteland for a long time.

Also what are the 6-8 must haves?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does it control well for an FPS? Console FPS always drove me crazy, coming from someone who's been playing PC FPS for like 15 years.

Zombi U is not so action-packed that you'll feel like the game would be much better if you can circle-strafe and land headshots consistently while running at 100 MPH. In fact, ammo is extremely scarce in the game, and your melee weapon is only really good at 1v1 engagements. You'll probably spend more time running away from stuff than engaging in combat. I play PC FPS games all the time, and I didn't find the transition to Zombi U's controls as jarring as, say, trying to play Call of Duty on the Xbox 360.

The important thing to keep in mind is that Zombi U is not Left 4 Dead: you are not going to be able to take on multiple threats easily, your resources are scarce, and you can die very easily. And when you die, you lose all your stuff and have to get it back from the reanimated corpse of the person you last played as, or die trying. It really does fit the definition of "survival horror" much better than most other games these days.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 28, 2013

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yea but it's not necessarily an fps. There's never really a time in the game where you're going to be extremely mobile while mowing down zombies and poo poo. The ammo is very very limited and you will probably spend a lot of your time shooting from afar or just smashing zombies in the face with a cricket bat. Let's just say the controls are very good for when you need to run the gently caress away and constantly backpedal because that's what you're going to be spending a lot of time doing, on top of constantly looking at your map and checking your radar for movement.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

greatn posted:

The Netflix app is actually pretty buggy for a lot of people.

I wouldn't be surprised. But from my experience with it at a friend's house it was pretty great.

Kewpuh posted:

Make sure you get Zombi U. I got it with the bundle and initially I don't think I really cared for it, but a couple of weeks ago I dedicated some time to it and I couldn't really put it down. The loving nursery was insane.

It does seem like a good game for the system's features, but I'm not sure it's a game I personally would like. Given the praise from all over though I'll be sure to at least check out the demo.

How's Game & Wario? I was a big fan of the Wario Ware series

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

A couple shots from a mission in Lego Marvel, using the WiiU browser. Even with a few framerate slowdowns, this game looks really good in motion.The top screen is from Tv, the bottom, is from the Gamepad.

Apparently, I haven't unlocked how to use any character at any time yet, and it's killing me.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
That's where my concern was.. with ammo scarcity, it's a pain in the rear end to try and land shots but miss because the controls feel off. It drove me nuts with the Resident Evil series.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Hit or miss. Some games are great most are eehhhhh.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I notice that whenever people are heaping praise on Zombi U, they mention the nursery. I played the demo (which takes place in a nursery, I imagine it's the same one) and thought it was interesting and had fun with it, but didn't think really highly of it. Everything I've read makes it seem like one of the game's high points, so if I thought the nursery was pretty cool but not great, would I be underwhelmed by the rest of the game?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I notice that whenever people are heaping praise on Zombi U, they mention the nursery. I played the demo (which takes place in a nursery, I imagine it's the same one) and thought it was interesting and had fun with it, but didn't think really highly of it. Everything I've read makes it seem like one of the game's high points, so if I thought the nursery was pretty cool but not great, would I be underwhelmed by the rest of the game?

Once you get out of the starting area and past the grocery it's pretty good. I think the beginning is kind of weak and there are definitely some irritating things about the game like never being able to skip the intro poo poo, and the fact that it makes you rewatch it every single time you start a new survival mode character (someone please tell me I'm missing some kind of secret button combo to skip this loving thing)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

robodex posted:

Good to hear, since my alternative was PS3 (got rid of my 360 about 6 months ago.) If I pick it up, I'll make sure to snag it on WU.

Having the map on the game pad is actually nice, you don't notice it until you go to the Pro Controller and realize how many times you set waypoints.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Most of the must have games have been released only recently. It was a wasteland for a long time.

Must haves:

New Super Mario Bros, Zombie U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker, Lego City undercover, Nintendo Land, Rayman Legends.

Possible Considerations:

Need for speed most wanted u, Lego marvel super heroes, tank, tank, tank ( dont judge me ).

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 28, 2013

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Way to leave Rayman Legends off your must-have list which is a colossal gently caress up on your part and you should be shunned for it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Milkman posted:

Not as good but still worth it if you can get it on sale.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

Way to leave Rayman Legends off your must-have list which is a colossal gently caress up on your part and you should be shunned for it

I knew I forgot something! Thanks for pointing that out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Xenoblade.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is pretty fantastic too.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Louisgod posted:

Xenoblade.

Thats a Wii game though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jhorphear posted:

Thats a Wii game though

Who cares, it's playable on the Wii U and a fantastic game.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Wow I wish they had that Amazon UK deal for Americans. I'm still on the fence about picking up a Wii U but I noticed on Amazon that the #1 selling Wii U game (Mario 3D world) is #67 on the overall video games list. Is the Wii U seriously that unpopular?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Who cares, it's playable on the Wii U and a fantastic game.

If you've played any MMO ever you'll get tired of it within the first five hours, though.

I honestly struggle to think of what differentiates it from any modern MMO. "Good for a Wii game" applies very strongly for Xenoblade.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not a multiplayer game, for one.

I do think people are way too forgiving of that game but it's not loving Cow Clicker or something, it's just a dull, bloated JRPG.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Decided I would save a few dollars and get Arkham City on Wii U instead of Origins, went even cheaper and got it used from Gamestop. Just got home and tried it out, it is showing invalid disc when I try to load i and I am getting the message disc cannot be read. I eyeballed it and didnt see any huge scratched or smudges on the game so I hope this is not an indication of bad things to come. Anyone else had a problem similar to this? I only have 1 physical Wii U game, Nintendo Land, and it loads fine. I also tried a couple Wii games and no problem so I really am hoping it is just the one game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have 6 Wii U games on disc including Arkham City and that never happened with me. Sounds like you have a defective copy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It may be a bad disk, or Gamestop may have mislabeled it. Take a close look at the disk and make sure it says WiiU or whatever one there.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Bruceski posted:

It may be a bad disk, or Gamestop may have mislabeled it. Take a close look at the disk and make sure it says WiiU or whatever one there.

Yeah, Gamestop puts the wrong game in the box sometimes. On multiple occasions I've been given a different game from the same series (sometimes when buying "new" games even, since they open the cases and then proceed to sell them as new.), I could definitely see them sticking a PS3 game into a Wii U case by mistake.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I did think they may have put the wrong game in afterwards, but it checks out, it's wii u armored edition. I even thought that maybe it was for another region, but it says "Plays on Wii U systems sold for the Americas only" around the edge. I'm hoping it is a bad disc, I'm going to try to exchange it tomorrow. One thing, I did find a couple of small scratches but if it is the scratches that has caused this, my physical wii u games don't have a chance, they are really tiny.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not a multiplayer game, for one.

I do think people are way too forgiving of that game but it's not loving Cow Clicker or something, it's just a dull, bloated JRPG.

I've tried now about 3 or 4 times to get into Xenoblade and I just can't. It's just not a very interesting game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Word is there'll be another Nintendo Direct very soon, ie within the next day or so. Haven't heard about anything but third-party 3DS stuff in connection to this particular Direct, but there might be some Wii U news, who knows.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

A couple shots from a mission in Lego Marvel, using the WiiU browser. Even with a few framerate slowdowns, this game looks really good in motion.The top screen is from Tv, the bottom, is from the Gamepad.

Apparently, I haven't unlocked how to use any character at any time yet, and it's killing me.

Got to one of the SHIELD points, it seems to lock you out of character selection unless you pick one from there, and then it'll let you swap characters on the fly.

It's also weird that while I haven't had any major bugs, whenever I play with my fiance the game will lock up or glitch pretty bad.

Also; to whoever is excited about playing as Venom, hold the character swap button!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

If you've played any MMO ever you'll get tired of it within the first five hours, though.

I honestly struggle to think of what differentiates it from any modern MMO. "Good for a Wii game" applies very strongly for Xenoblade.

I've played all the mmos and xenoblade is probably my #1 JRPG and easily the best JRPG in the last decade hands down. The last story came out and that's okay but it's really not that good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ruffz posted:

Wow I wish they had that Amazon UK deal for Americans. I'm still on the fence about picking up a Wii U but I noticed on Amazon that the #1 selling Wii U game (Mario 3D world) is #67 on the overall video games list. Is the Wii U seriously that unpopular?

It's not out yet.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

"Good for a Wii game" applies very strongly for Xenoblade.
No, it really, really doesn't. To the graphics, sure, but honestly, it is a really fantastic game. Comparing it to an MMO doesn't do it justice. It's not even all that accurate. It's as much like an MMO as Final Fantasy XII was--it takes ideas from that genre, but at its core it's a game about a party of half a dozen pre-determined characters experiencing a story with predetermined twists and turns. It's a traditional JRPG at the core; you don't choose Renegade and Paragon, you don't customize Shulk's face. What it does have is extremely satisfying tactical combat that isn't overly complex unless you want it to be, a really good take on an archetypal JRPG story, fantastic characters and voice work, and some really great music.

If you haven't played it and can actually find it, by all means play it on Wii U. Though you do need a Wiimote and Nunchuck or CCP to play it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something to note about Xenoblade; Ignore the majority of sidequests for the first few hours. Every major zone you visit has an insane amount of them, and they'll just slow you down till you burn out if you try to do all the ones you can find in Colony 9. Just grab a few of the "kill x/find y item for me" ones before you head out into the next zone or dungeon.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hey, just got a Wii U over the weekend and it was the Zelda bundle, I was wondering what lesser priced games besides the couple of goon recomended ones in the second post to try or buy, I have already gotten Warriors Orochi 3 and Batman Arkham City.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks (In Motion): Wii Sports Club!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

numerrik posted:

Hey, just got a Wii U over the weekend and it was the Zelda bundle, I was wondering what lesser priced games besides the couple of goon recomended ones in the second post to try or buy, I have already gotten Warriors Orochi 3 and Batman Arkham City.

If you like Platinum-style action games at all, Wonderful 101 is top notch.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

ImpAtom posted:

If you like Platinum-style action games at all, Wonderful 101 is top notch.

I am planning on getting that, but it's still full prices, I was hoping for cheaper or older titles roughly $30 and under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Resident Evil Revelations is on sale on the NA eShop right now, that's a good buy. No idea what it's going for at retail.

• Locked thread