Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Chain fishing is amazing. I was trying to find a Dratini but forgot where they were so I started fishing at Victory Road. After only getting poliwhirls and basculin I decide to do one more cast and then try elsewhere and now I have a shiny Poliwhirl! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Internet Kraken posted:

The animation for gunk shot is just a trash can being chucked across the screen. It's so stupid but I can't stop laughing at it.

You know, I used to wonder why Gunk Shot was physical, but Sludge Bomb was special. This actually clears things up!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Zore posted:

Er, what? Scizor was an almost never used BL pokemon in gens 2 and 3, and fell to UU in Gen IV before Platinum when it got Bullet Punch, Superpower and Bug Bite.

It was really strong, but without the tools Platinum gave it it never carved out a niche.

Hell, before Gen 4 Scizor's strongest STABs were Steel Wing and Hidden Power Bug. You're not making it anywhere loving NEAR OU when Flareon's coverage is a wet dream compared to yours.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Kangaskhan's kid is so adorable, the way it gets gingerly picked up and swung around by its mother when it mega evolves :kimchi:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Ok so here's another question that's probably been addressed already, but what is everybody here using to calculate IVs? Is there a particular calculator that seems to be the best? Is there a formula I can use without having to be online? Is there a minimum level at which it becomes more certain what a 'mon's IVs are, or can you figure it out at Lv.1?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, having to hatch a bunch of Wurmples so I can get one that goes the Silcoon route. Third one was shiny. Cute little purple thing. :3: Wonder if it'll be a butterfly or a moth.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

stinkles1112 posted:

Ok so here's another question that's probably been addressed already, but what is everybody here using to calculate IVs? Is there a particular calculator that seems to be the best? Is there a formula I can use without having to be online? Is there a minimum level at which it becomes more certain what a 'mon's IVs are, or can you figure it out at Lv.1?

You can't be totally sure for a long while, mid fifties still gives a range depending on the stat in some cases and level 1 is an absolute crapshoot that only rarely gives any information because most mon's stats vary by two points, at absolute most, at level 1.

There is a guy in Kiloude's pokemon center though than will tell you how good your IVs are overall, which ones are the best, if any of them are perfect and if any of them are less than 5.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

I've been playing around with Mega Kangaskhan, and boy howdy does she ever make people mad on Showdown!. Unboosted, Sucker Punch can OHKO Mega Gengar and Mega Alakazam. Fire Punch can take out Mega Lucario if he tries boosting first, and rips through Scizor and Ferrothorn. Fake Out hits twice and can take out a good chunk of health from most sweepers. And Power-Up Punch becomes Swords Dance with the added bonus of crippling Tyranitar and Heatran. Having a Gengar use Substitute while transforming doesn't work anymore either, as Sucker Punch hits twice. Boosted by Power-Up Punch this KOs him on the second hit, unboosted he loses 2/3rds of his health. Backed up by Aromatherapy Blissey I've swept entire teams with that set.

I just found a Kangaskhanite and a Kangaskhan in-game, and I'm doing this. I sort of feel bad that I spent an entire day breeding Absols now that I'm probably not going to run Mega Absol anymore. But on the other hand, I'm about to make a whole bunch of people's day on Wonder Trade when I trade an Adamant Nature Super Luck Absol with 31 IVs in Atk, Sp.Def, and Spd for their Bunnelby or whatever.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Heh, the first Wurmple turned out to be a Silcoon anyway.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Zore posted:

You can't be totally sure for a long while, mid fifties still gives a range depending on the stat in some cases and level 1 is an absolute crapshoot that only rarely gives any information because most mon's stats vary by two points, at absolute most, at level 1.

There is a guy in Kiloude's pokemon center though than will tell you how good your IVs are overall, which ones are the best, if any of them are perfect and if any of them are less than 5.

Well that's disheartening. So if I'm trying to breed competitive versions of the mons I used to run through story mode and I haven't kept track of what EVs they have I can't really be certain what their IVs are huh?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

stinkles1112 posted:

Well that's disheartening. So if I'm trying to breed competitive versions of the mons I used to run through story mode and I haven't kept track of what EVs they have I can't really be certain what their IVs are huh?

Nope. Punch some empty bags on the super training screen for a while and eventually you'll get a reset bag which removes all EVs if you don't mind training them up again.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

You can find Reset Bags randomly in Super Training that'll reset all the Pokemon's EVs.

e: f, b

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Oddly, I find my attitude about hacking mons for perfect IVs changing rather rapidly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where the hell is psyshock on victory road? Trecking all over this place but can't find it anywhere.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Where the hell is psyshock on victory road? Trecking all over this place but can't find it anywhere.

Its either up the waterfall or behind one of the rock smash walls.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

You need to Rock Smash the rock blocking the steps down in the 'jumpy stones' area with the strength boulders. Head down and right, take the path down past the tower and waterfall and it's in a little cave.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I'm starting to wish there was a post we could send all new people to, to answer all their IV/EV/breeding/new mechanics questions. Seeing the same 5 questions posted over and over is kinda aggravating, no offense to new people.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Chespin is being a brat. Froakie gave me tons of Proteans. Chespin, I'm lucky to get one Bulletproof out of a batch of four. Plus I'm trying to get a female one. Aiming to get Spikes onto it. Best I can figure I have to grab a Klefki, run around outside the daycare until I find Smeargle, get him to Sketch it, then capture it and breed it from there.

Of course I could've completely missed a part of that or it's just not doable period. I've always tended to just Ditto-breed things. Actually trying to get outside moves onto the offspring is kinda new to me.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah that should probably be included in the OP now that the thread is so long that you can't reasonably expect people to browse it all, even though upon reflection I probably could have clicked any page at random and my questions would have been answered on it...

Edit; aaaand it basically is already in the OP. In summation: read the thread

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 29, 2013

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

I'm starting to wish there was a post we could send all new people to, to answer all their IV/EV/breeding/new mechanics questions. Seeing the same 5 questions posted over and over is kinda aggravating, no offense to new people.

If there was a post do you think those questions would go away?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

It's a pretty major problem on smogon, and admins have started putting their feet down and deleting/infracting IV/breeding posts.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Saw this elsewhere but after I saw you can pet pokemon in battle after they KO an opponent (if they have enough hearts) this has been accurate to me with all my pokemon.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Can someone help me evolve my Kadabra?

4484-8308-8363

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

So after some single battles I think I'm going to rebuild my team for doubles. There's some terrifying people playing singles on wi-fi, whereas doubles seems to be faster-paced, more inclusive in terms of what Pokemon are useful, and have a less brutal metagame. I took my team into a couple doubles matches and had a lot more fun even though my team wasn't built for it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Star Guarded posted:

So after some single battles I think I'm going to rebuild my team for doubles. There's some terrifying people playing singles on wi-fi, whereas doubles seems to be faster-paced, more inclusive in terms of what Pokemon are useful, and have a less brutal metagame. I took my team into a couple doubles matches and had a lot more fun even though my team wasn't built for it.

Good good. Doubles is where its at! It's why it's the go to format for official nintendo poo poo.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

TescoBag posted:

Can someone help me evolve my Kadabra?

4484-8308-8363

I'd be glad to.

5472-7007-5982

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Forer posted:

Saw this elsewhere but after I saw you can pet pokemon in battle after they KO an opponent (if they have enough hearts) this has been accurate to me with all my pokemon.

God, I can't wait for PokéBank so I can send over my Genesect and start petting my giant, prehistoric, death machine bug. :allears:

Star Guarded posted:

Yeah, building a team for doubles just seems more fun, you get to have a lot more fun thinking of the synergies. While the weather abilities might have been nerfed this Gen, making them less viable for singles, my sun team of Ninetales and Vileplume are having no trouble taking down the Super Double Battles at the Battle Maison (unless the opponent sends out a Swalot. That blob is sturdy).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

God can we talk about how awesome Spooky Tree is? Dude's got so many possibilities with his Level-up/TM move pool alone. It's crazy. Here's my current set up

Trevenant @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef

Horn Leech
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Claw
Rest

Basically using him as a special Wall that can get some sick revenge kills. Dude's Base attack is pretty crazy for a viable wall like he is so basically I can go back on the assault. natural cure lets me swap out of Sleep with no penalty, Horn Leech over Leech Seed to abuse that attack power, WoW to deal with Physical attackers.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Bummey posted:

I'd be glad to.

5472-7007-5982

Thanks so much!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I posted this in the trading thread but I might have better luck here, would anyone be willing to trade their Pinsirite for my Heracrossite? This X/Y Mega Stone exclusive thing is dumb, and I just want to play with Mega Pinsir.

4940-5681-2018

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What is "chain fishing"?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well loving brilliant. So I never switched my 3DS' clock for Daylight Savings, meaning I got started on this mega stone hunt about 35 minutes into the hour. And with ten minutes to go it still wasn't enough to figure out where the loving hell this mysterious second god drat entrance to floor 3 of the Reflecting Cave is. The only thing I've read anywhere is 'use the mirrors to find the secret entrance.'

What mirrors. Where. These are things the dumb poo poo who wrote the guide didn't feel were necessary to answer. And so, after walking into all walls and checking all mirrors, I came up precisely with one missing mega stone. gently caress this cave. Where is it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Go down to the bottom. There's a section where you can take a narrow vertical passage back toward another narrow passage that runs parallel to a mirror. Opposite that mirror is the entrance to a chamber. That entrance is visible only in the reflection, because it faces north. The mega stone is inside, during the hour of day when mega stones are available.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Walk in from Shalour City, head down the stairs, look for a set of stairs heading to the left. Go that-a-way and there'll be a door reflected in the mirror above you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Well loving brilliant. So I never switched my 3DS' clock for Daylight Savings, meaning I got started on this mega stone hunt about 35 minutes into the hour. And with ten minutes to go it still wasn't enough to figure out where the loving hell this mysterious second god drat entrance to floor 3 of the Reflecting Cave is. The only thing I've read anywhere is 'use the mirrors to find the secret entrance.'

What mirrors. Where. These are things the dumb poo poo who wrote the guide didn't feel were necessary to answer. And so, after walking into all walls and checking all mirrors, I came up precisely with one missing mega stone. gently caress this cave. Where is it.

It's in the deepest floor. From the fighting gym town go right down the stairs down the stairs south west of where you start and then to the far south west corner and it's sitting in a big pile of glowing dust.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
15 minutes too late, but at least I'll know where to go tomorrow. This one-hour thing is loving idiotic. At least it wasn't a total bust. Gyro Ball was hiding down there, too. Still. gently caress's sakes. Only missing that one stone. Managed to scramble all over the place to get the others but this is the one I somehow missed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ChibiSoma posted:

I swear to god do you ever enjoy a video game or do you just endlessly bitch about them as loud as possible in public like some kind of psychotic ex-pow veteran?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
How and where do you evolve Magnemite into a Magnezone in X/Y? I'm getting close to filling out my pokedex but I can't figure out where to evolve him.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ChibiSoma posted:

15 minutes too late, but at least I'll know where to go tomorrow. This one-hour thing is loving idiotic. At least it wasn't a total bust. Gyro Ball was hiding down there, too. Still. gently caress's sakes. Only missing that one stone. Managed to scramble all over the place to get the others but this is the one I somehow missed.

Unlike previous generations, changing the system clock doesn't prevent you from getting time-based events until the next day. So you can just go to your 3DS's settings, change the time to 8, and keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

It lets you change for DST, but it will punish you if you change it by more than a day.

• Locked thread