Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Entry level clerk with a BYOD phone attached to their account.

(The most demanding user in my entire organization is a administrative entry-level clerk who will barge into a meeting with half a dozen of the firm's partners while I'm giving a presentation to say that she can't send an email that isn't even related to work)

Just about everywhere I've worked that's one of those things you only do once.

Because the result is an almost instantaneous termination

I'm not sure I'd want to work somewhere that upper management tolerates bullshit like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

GreenNight posted:

The problem is that 80% of the users here HAS TO OMG have a laptop because they might travel twice a year.

This is the mentality at my current place of work. The best part is that they're all starting to use LogMeIn or some other remote desktop service so they can all leave their laptops here and work on them remotely with their personal laptops instead of taking their work one home. So now I get to watch a bunch of users that we just transitioned from desktops over to laptops because they "OMG had to have it" just leave them here so they can remote in to them from off-site instead of just taking it with them. But the second you mention you should put their tower back it's "but I take my laptop *everywhere* with me!". I'm convinced I just can't win.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

teethgrinder posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they're only asking for $300, and that businesses are resistant to just paying it to get back their ESSENTIAL THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION UNBACKED-UP files.

I think it's the prospect of not getting your data back even if you pay the money that worries people. And I suppose that theoretically, there is no guarantee that you'll get it back, only the near certainty that you're not getting it back if you don't pay out.

I like to entertain the fantasy that CryptoLocker was written by a very disgruntled sysadmin who kept telling his management about the critical need for good backup practices, and his management wouldn't pay (to get the right hardware, software, follow basic data security practices, etc). To punish his (former) employers, he created CryptoLocker and released it locally, then realized what a good business model it is.

But yeah, if that data is important, then you can bet businesses are being pretty stupid for not paying it. On a consumer level, $300 is probably just too much for most people to stomach, especially if all you lose is some stupid pictures or something.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MJP posted:

A ticket came in (font size 24 points, bold, red Arial, and fortunately not to me)...

I give him points for at least popping the battery and describing the situation, but I'm opening the floor to bets/guesses on what this guy's title is.

Who cares about his position, is it a Blackberry? :allears:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
User forgot Google Apps password, for the 4th time... since last Thursday.

When a user forgets their password, I always reset it to a temporary password and enable the option so they have to change it on first login. I had to reset this idiot's password twice Thursday, once on Friday, and today he called asking again.

Write the drat thing down somewhere!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

MJP posted:

I'm opening the floor to bets/guesses on what this guy's title is.

Pope.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Just about everywhere I've worked that's one of those things you only do once.

Because the result is an almost instantaneous termination

I'm not sure I'd want to work somewhere that upper management tolerates bullshit like that.

~nepotism~, although it just happened and all the other partners are super pissed about it so we'll see.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
All I heard is "Rome" and "Sprint". I'm guessing it's a C-level with a CDMA/WiMax phone like an Evo 4G who has traveled to a country that doesn't support CDMA.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

Who cares about his position, is it a Blackberry? :allears:

Yes, it is a Blackberry. (Bold 9930)

For what it's worth, the company has decided to move away from BES to Verizon iPhones. Judge from that as you will.

And he's the Chairman of the Board. In his defense he's about 70-80 years old and collects clocks, including a nifty Nixie tube clock, but dat email.

The situation is an ongoing clusterfuck - Sprint staff seem incapable of adding and removing international roaming and data to SIM cards, and since only senior executives/C-levels/board members ever travel overseas, it leads to delicate awful situations which are why we're leaving Sprint as fast as we can.

I have a picture of one of his emails when I was in another boss' office and the chain was erupting. As soon as I'm not in a 4G dead zone I gotta redact out the identifying info and post.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's what we did about 3 years ago - left Sprint and BES and went to Verizon and iPhones. iPhones has it's own set of problems, same with Verizon but my phone issues emails went down like 90%. Definitely worth it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

teethgrinder posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they're only asking for $300, and that businesses are resistant to just paying it to get back their ESSENTIAL THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION UNBACKED-UP files.

(I understand them being skeptical and not wanting to deal with criminals, but I somehow doubt the latter is actually a consideration.)

It's loving genius, like everything else about Cryptolocker. Awful, terrible, evil genius.

The people most affected by this are the ones too cheap to pay a thousand bucks (or a few thousand bucks, whatever) for some sort of basic backup. If Cryptolocker people charged much more than $300, these cheapskates wouldn't pay them either.

I think $300 is about the most Cryptolocker could charge without seeing a massive drop-off in people who paid. Make a little less per person, but have many more victims who do pay.

The fact that they actually DO decrypt your poo poo is likewise genius. Word of mouth spreads, and more people pay in the end!

Cryptolocker is built by some pretty smart people, and they're adapting to get around most of the common blocks, like those GPOs that block poo poo in \AppData\. I read today about a new variant that runs in the %TEMP% folder and blocking that would block all sorts of applications.

I think they're bastards, and deserve to have their faces rubbed into a cheese grater, but I can't help but admire it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

stevewm posted:

When a user forgets their password, I always reset it to a temporary password and enable the option so they have to change it on first login. I had to reset this idiot's password twice Thursday, once on Friday, and today he called asking again.

I was going to say that this is where you suggest they use KeyPass or some other password safe but trusting them to remember the master password would probably be too much for them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

I think they're bastards, and deserve to have their faces rubbed into a cheese grater, but I can't help but admire it.
I'm sort of there too ... but honestly, they're just criminals, modern-day highway men. "Well you should have paid for security travelling down this pass!" ;)

But at the end of the day -- I double-checked that all the poo poo I'm responsible for is thoroughly backed-up (with shadow copies), so whatever.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

toe shoes posted:

We have a locally hosted Jira setup going on here. You can now get a hosted version if you want. Someone in our other office decided that rather than even trying to get stuff setup on our Jira to setup a hosted instance of it and tie it into what ever systems they need to use (mainly Salesforce).

You're kinda lucky; here Jira was too hard :downs: lets put it in a 2003 Sharepoint instance

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

toe shoes posted:

We have a locally hosted Jira setup going on here. You can now get a hosted version if you want. Someone in our other office decided that rather than even trying to get stuff setup on our Jira to setup a hosted instance of it and tie it into what ever systems they need to use (mainly Salesforce).

Good luck with that. We recently scrapped our JIRA-Salesforce integration project, but I'm not sure whether that was because the guy in charge of it ended up universally hated for being so terrible at testing, or if the integration itself was just broken. Probably both.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

stevewm posted:

Aww come on. Sometimes, people just have a bad day/week :smith:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
From a ticket marked High Importance I am trying to deploy four physical servers via the scripting tool that launches from a winPe session and connects to a deployment server, but said server cannot be reached due to a network error.

So I update the ticket with the details of my attempts to troubleshoot and a suggestion that the switch ports might not be configured for the proper VLAN yet. I include the IP addresses of the servers to be built and their gateway IP address that is unpingable from either server (indicating a networking issue).

There are two owners on the ticket that get updated upon a ticket update. One guy is on vacation and the other guy just. Doesn't. Get. It.

His first email:

Hey Agrikk! I can ping the gateway from my laptop. Are you sure it's down?

(I try to explain the difference from pinging from his laptop and pinging from the servers themselves. Can we please get a network admin involved?)

Second email - two days later:

Hey Agrikk! You are right! I can't ping the IP address of either server! Something must be wrong here! I opened a ticket with Network to determine why I can't ping the servers!

Third email - four days later:

Agrikk! Hey! Network responded that the servers haven't been built yet so they won't be pingable. They closed the ticket. Can you build the servers?

(I explain that yes, there is a network issue. Yes, I know that no one will be able to ping the servers because they aren't built yet. I put a temp IP on them to troubleshoot. Can you please get a network admin to look at the switch?)

Fourth email - today:

Hey Agrikk! I can ping the gateway IP address and other servers within the subnet. Are you able to proceed with the installation now?

(I explain again how pinging the gateway from his laptop establishes connectivity exists between his laptop and the gateway, not between the new servers and the gateway. Can he please get a network admin involved so I can talk to him?)

It is going to be a looong deployment, folks. Good thing the PMs have marked this ticket a high priority, too.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
What position does that guy hold? Because holy poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Something high up that pays better than people who know what they are talking about. C'est la vie.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

What position does that guy hold? Because holy poo poo.

GEt this: I looked him up on our org chart and he's listed as "IT Infrastructure Architect".

He's a goddamn architect and doesn't know how pinging works. gently caress me.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Agrikk posted:

From a ticket marked High Importance I am trying to deploy four physical servers via the scripting tool that launches from a winPe session and connects to a deployment server, but said server cannot be reached due to a network error.

So I update the ticket with the details of my attempts to troubleshoot and a suggestion that the switch ports might not be configured for the proper VLAN yet. I include the IP addresses of the servers to be built and their gateway IP address that is unpingable from either server (indicating a networking issue).

There are two owners on the ticket that get updated upon a ticket update. One guy is on vacation and the other guy just. Doesn't. Get. It.

His first email:

(I try to explain the difference from pinging from his laptop and pinging from the servers themselves. Can we please get a network admin involved?)

Hey Agrikk! You are right! I can't ping the IP address of either server! Something must be wrong here! I opened a ticket with Network to determine why I can't ping the servers!

Agrikk! Hey! Network responded that the servers haven't been built yet so they won't be pingable. They closed the ticket. Can you build the servers?

(I explain that yes, there is a network issue. Yes, I know that no one will be able to ping the servers because they aren't built yet. I put a temp IP on them to troubleshoot. Can you please get a network admin to look at the switch?)

Fourth email - today:

Hey Agrikk! I can ping the gateway IP address and other servers within the subnet. Are you able to proceed with the installation now?

(I explain again how pinging the gateway from his laptop establishes connectivity exists between his laptop and the gateway, not between the new servers and the gateway. Can he please get a network admin involved so I can talk to him?)

It is going to be a looong deployment, folks. Good thing the PMs have marked this ticket a high priority, too.

I normally despise these, but I had to.

Jesus Christ that guy is horrifying.

Content: It is goddamn impossible to get people to do anything for themselves. Our software released last June with full support for new feature x and y. It was in our release notes, it's all over the software UI if you just fire it up. Sure enough I still get emails asking "Does your software support feature x and y? We could really use it in the field for (buzzwords start here and go on for a few paragraphs trying to convince me we need to add features x and y).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

His first email:

Fourth email - today:

Sounds like you need to specify boot server hostname in your dhcp scope (or setup an ip helper on the vlans). Its a pretty common problem you find when setting up a deployment server for the first time.

This guy is probably getting paid a hell of a lot to not know something this simple.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Agrikk posted:

GEt this: I looked him up on our org chart and he's listed as "IT Infrastructure Architect".

He's a goddamn architect and doesn't know how pinging works. gently caress me.

How is that possible?

It's like a farmer not knowing which end of the cow milk comes out of.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Got the best ticket today from a very scared teacher that had tried to google "cuckold" for a class, but did a very poor spelling of it, yielding "cockhold."

Common sense tells you what her google results ended up being.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, because cuckold is a 100% safe word to be searching on a school computer as well.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

couldcareless posted:

Got the best ticket today from a very scared teacher that had tried to google "cuckold" for a class, but did a very poor spelling of it, yielding "cockhold."

Common sense tells you what her google results ended up being.

I'm not entirely convinced that 'cuckold' would have worked much better.

dictionary posted:

cuck•old (kŭkˈəld, ko͝okˈ-)
n. A man married to an unfaithful wife.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, because cuckold is a 100% safe word to be searching on a school computer as well.

Come on, what's the worst that could come up?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

toe shoes posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that 'cuckold' would have worked much better.

That's actually what she was looking for. Why? I have no clue.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, this. Why, exactly is this teacher searching this for a class? I hope this wasn't up on some huge screen.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

couldcareless posted:

That's actually what she was looking for. Why? I have no clue.

I'd assume that it was a word encountered somewhere, a student asked what it meant, teacher didn't know and searched for it. Not unreasonable.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
An email came in:

We just fired two more people and somehow I'm not one of them. Hazzah! We also have less people trying to break through Cryptolockers encryption now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Could have been a religious class about Joseph.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

blackswordca posted:

An email came in:

We just fired two more people and somehow I'm not one of them. Hazzah! We also have less people trying to break through Cryptolockers encryption now.

To be fair, if you did manage to break it that would have been pretty impressive.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
We are (finally) decommissioning our dropbox account due to security concerns. Found this shared to us... You can guess what it is.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

the spyder posted:

We are (finally) decommissioning our dropbox account due to security concerns. Found this shared to us... You can guess what it is.

:lol:

I had a caller that was not able to send mail to a cam girl, and wanted a ticket opened with the mail admins (the account he was trying send to was deleted for spam). I saw the mail he was trying to send and it was very hard for me to take him seriously for the rest of the call.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
"Help! I changed the password on my computer and now I can't sync mail on my phone!" is not the same as "Help! I changed the password on my computer and now I can't use that password to unlock my phone!"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Sickening posted:

Sounds like you need to specify boot server hostname in your dhcp scope (or setup an ip helper on the vlans). Its a pretty common problem you find when setting up a deployment server for the first time.

This guy is probably getting paid a hell of a lot to not know something this simple.

This is an existing deployment server that a new server is trying to reach. Other servers being built can reach it. I suspect that the switch port has not been configured yet with the proper VLAN configuration, allowing it to pass traffic.

Either way, it's a networking issue and all I need is a network admin to help me troubleshoot. Instead I have the mad pinger trying to ping random things in order to make it work.

edit:

Hah hah hah! Email number N+1:

Hey Agrikk! I'm escalating this to your supervisor so that he can help troubleshoot!

(I responded with: My supervisor has been cc'd on this whole thread, but be my guest. He will probably tell you that a network admin is required to help troubleshoot, though.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

toe shoes posted:

To be fair, if you did manage to break it that would have been pretty impressive.

And also terrifying.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Hah hah hah! Email number N+1:

Hey Agrikk! I'm escalating this to your supervisor so that he can help troubleshoot!

(I responded with: My supervisor has been cc'd on this whole thread, but be my guest. He will probably tell you that a network admin is required to help troubleshoot, though.)

This is what pisses me off about the modern way we do things. In the same organisation I should be able to pick up the phone and call the person who configures / maintains the poo poo I have to interface with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'd assume that it was a word encountered somewhere, a student asked what it meant, teacher didn't know and searched for it. Not unreasonable.

If that's being done on a big screen, I imagine this is something you'd do only once.

"Miss! What does 'goatse' mean?"

• Locked thread