Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kyrosiris posted:

If you have a wrench or wire cutters, flick to them every so often; you see the wire and thus can eyeball where the pressure plates that activate the stuff is. Snip the wire with your wire cutters and then it's totally safe.

If you're pre-dungeon then dart traps/pressure plates work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
So is the star veil worse than the cross necklace? I just now realized upgrading it lowers the invulnerability duration.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It has a lower invulnerability duration yeah. They stack if you wear both though.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm feeling irritated that there's so much spammy poo poo that seems to go on with the new hard mode enemies. Just wiped to Plantera despite being above the jungle because it wouldn't stop machine-gunning seeds at me, and I wasn't able to dodge those and attack at the same time.

It feels like there's too much importance placed on cranking up your defense stat as high as it can go because I can't hope to avoid half of it, even with the frost armor set. Do I just suck? :sigh:

Edit: Got turtle armor, beat Plantera, used the jungle key to enter the temple and an altar never spawned on my world. Since the key was consumed, I can't use it with the jungle key mold to make it into the one for the dungeon. gently caress this game for now, I'm not looking for another one of those stupid bulbs. :suicide:

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 29, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I dunno, having wings lets me fight most of the hardmode bosses effectively. The exception is the Destroyer since you fight him on land and mostly in one place.

I don't even build boss arenas anymore, just lightning boots/any kind of wing lets you outrun and dodge everything they throw at you while firing back at them. The fights feel even more epic since I run across my world's surface almost entirely while mad fightin' goes on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still use Frost Armor, but that's because Tortoise Shells are being really stubborn about dropping in my world, and because I like how Frostfire stacks with On Fire! too.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

padijun posted:

So is the star veil worse than the cross necklace? I just now realized upgrading it lowers the invulnerability duration.

I didn't even know there was a cross necklace upgrade. Well, now I can easily tank the Pumpkin moon event. Thanks!

Also I found a Poison Staff from a hardmode spider. 67 magic damage, unboosted/modded, it shoots 4 projectiles that pierce targets and poison them. I think that's a pretty loving great weapon right there.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 29, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Office Thug posted:

I didn't even know there was a cross necklace upgrade. Well, now I can easily tank the Pumpkin moon event. Thanks!

The Star necklace isn't very good in endgame. The stars only do like 30 damage each and the lost invulnerability isn't worth it.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

RatHat posted:

The Star necklace isn't very good in endgame. The stars only do like 30 damage each and the lost invulnerability isn't worth it.

I'm stacking it with the Cross necklace, as well as the Black Belt and Master Ninja Gear for much longer damaged-invulnerability frames and ridiculously long dodge-invulnerability frames (like 5-6 second-long invulnerability whenever I dodge).

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I'm glad Office Thug said something because this might have languished unloved in my treasure room.

Does the modifier apply to the summoned creature?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

robziel posted:

I'm glad Office Thug said something because this might have languished unloved in my treasure room.

Yes. Try to get a modifier that gives high-end damage and critical strike chance. For reference, Godly beats out Superior. Mythical is basically Godly with lowered mana cost (useless here) and +speed (I think it's useless too, if it's just casting speed, not 100% sure though).

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Regarding the question of using spectre armor for the pumpkin thing, here's a video of a dude doing it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z52Hc5fgOtg

Inferno fork seems to be key really. Pretty decent for such a basic arena I thought. Certainly much better than my random spam "techniques"
For shame, I found this on the TO forums, please don't judge me.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

robziel posted:

That staff is insane if you have the "lucky coin" item from pirate invasions. The slime attacks fast as poo poo and does low damage, and every hit has a chance to cause a coin to drop. You can get every flavor of coin using this method except for platinum. The ideal place to farm with this is in a temple -- dig yourself into a wall, spawn the slime outside, and AFK while the slime farms coins for you. Nothing in the temples has attacks that pierce terrain.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
My base is expanding... I think next world I hunker down in I'll make one compact structure for all the NPCs.

As much fun as it is building unique houses for everyone its getting tedious flying around to visit them for their wares.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Short of taking 30 or so screenshots and piecing them together slowly, what's the best method to show off my base? Has anyone made a viewer that does a good job of this?

TEdit could work but stuff looks assy without lighting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Terrafirma would probably work pretty well for what you want. Also supports full color lighting.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So does the Rod of Discord actually drop now?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So does the Rod of Discord actually drop now?

Yes. If you're having problems getting one to drop, try going through the Terraria Forum, where they have a trading board where you might find someone to trade you one. I traded a Spooky Hook for one earlier today for a friend.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

dat one portagee posted:

My base is expanding... I think next world I hunker down in I'll make one compact structure for all the NPCs.

As much fun as it is building unique houses for everyone its getting tedious flying around to visit them for their wares.

That's pretty cool. I just built a lovely tenement block for them. Then later I built a lovely tenement block that dangles from a floating island.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Yes. If you're having problems getting one to drop, try going through the Terraria Forum, where they have a trading board where you might find someone to trade you one. I traded a Spooky Hook for one earlier today for a friend.

Or just use TEdit to give yourself one

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I know you're not forced to spend Solar Eclipses / Blood Moons / Goblin Invasions in your base, but I have some kind of weird OCD where having any vulnerable NPCs drives me loving crazy. People keep posting screenshots of their awesome base designs and all I can think is but what about WRAITHS?!

E: Also it was mentioned earlier in the thread but man I would pay money for a weapon rack DLC. I just want to show off all of my cool toys :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So I got an Inferno Fork today, finally.

:tviv: sums up my reaction, basically.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Regarding the question of using spectre armor for the pumpkin thing, here's a video of a dude doing it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z52Hc5fgOtg

Inferno fork seems to be key really. Pretty decent for such a basic arena I thought. Certainly much better than my random spam "techniques"
For shame, I found this on the TO forums, please don't judge me.

Nimbus Clouds really seemed to be important too, his healing was pretty much double speed when the clouds were up. I think I'm gonna give this a try! Though I don't have Inferno Fork, only a Shadow-beam Staff.

Edit: Also interesting that he was using both Avenger and Destroyer Emblem, and all his accessory modifiers were + damage

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 29, 2013

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mental Midget posted:

Edit: Also interesting that he was using both Avenger and Destroyer Emblem, and all his accessory modifiers were + damage

yeah, it's a weird setup to see, since pretty much all my accessories are reforged to warding

I just tried it with the inferno fork, rainbow gun, spectre armor, cross necklace, destroyer emblem, master ninja gear, ankh shield, and wings. I bulldozed the first three waves by rigging my arena with a couple of chokepoints that the rainbow gun hits everyone through, but I had to switch back to my turtle armor and vamp knives after the pumpkings showed up because I still couldn't tank them in spectre armor. I was stupid and forgot to bring mana potions, though, so that probably had something to do with it.

e: only got to the fourth pumpking

padijun fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 29, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Well, more damage means more healing.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
it's a tightrope act, though, since less defense means you've got to keep your head on a swivel.

I've been conditioned by every other boss/event in this game to think more defense = better than. this is the first thing with a timer, so I see how going all in on offense is better

padijun fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 29, 2013

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The nimbus rod is a very important source of healing if you're going the magic route, I wouldn't do it without it.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Read posted:

The nimbus rod is a very important source of healing if you're going the magic route, I wouldn't do it without it.

stupidly enough, I've sold like 4 of these without doing any serious testing. creative thinking? none of that here, sir, I'll just compare it to the damage to another weapon and sell the loser :downs:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

My pile of platinum coins turned into an extractinator. They disappeared and in the coin slot was a single machine. 57 plat down the drain :suicide:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Today I learned that the Twins aren't that hard without an arena so long as you are prepared to run a long distance.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
So I know keeping my house >3 blocks above the ground stops wraiths from getting in since they only travel through blocks - but do background walls allow them to move?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Spergminer posted:

My pile of platinum coins turned into an extractinator. They disappeared and in the coin slot was a single machine. 57 plat down the drain :suicide:

How did that even happen :psyduck: Now I'm paranoid about my money.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Spergminer posted:

Sounds like the only time when cheating will bring balance to the universe. You could copy your player file and dupe everything if you don't want to install TEdit.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just got to hardmode on my friends server, got the Rod of Discord on my second elemental

Do I win something other than having the most OP but headache inducing thing ever?

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

FateFree posted:

Sounds like the only time when cheating will bring balance to the universe. You could copy your player file and dupe everything if you don't want to install TEdit.

loving right. No way should you just eat it.

I now have a no farming policy too. If I can't get something in a reasonable timeframe I just edit it in. Farming is interesting initially for me, what with working out mechanics and setting up arenas, but I can't be arsed anymore.

If the game bugs out, especially on a load of coins, then you'd be crazy to considering it cheating.

As much as I hate the TO forums, it' is actually showing a load of differing approaches to the new halloween stuff.
It speaks well of the game too that there's a good range of options for "beating" the invasion. I had assumed that it may come down to a standard "I Win" setup.
I know I've said it before, but those forums are comparable to the Eve Online ones in the shitposting stakes.
Setting signatures off helps a lot as they are not only cringe inducing, but distracting. I wish there was some kind of sense of entitlement filter though.

Some people laugh when they discover it's :10bux: to join here, but it does seem to keep the riff raff out eh what :monocle:

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I just got to hardmode on my friends server, got the Rod of Discord on my second elemental

Do I win something other than having the most OP but headache inducing thing ever?

Yes, you've won the fastest way to travel around, and the easiest way to mine. Using it with a spelunker potion will also open your map up like gently caress.
I love that thing, but yes, it is a bit of a head bender.

Yermaw Zahoor fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 29, 2013

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
I've gotten used to using the rod of discord as my primary means of transportation; I barely even fly or walk around anymore.

padijun posted:

it's a tightrope act, though, since less defense means you've got to keep your head on a swivel.

I've been conditioned by every other boss/event in this game to think more defense = better than. this is the first thing with a timer, so I see how going all in on offense is better

It's totally possible to just sit in one place and fire off magic all the time even in pumpkin moon. Nimbus rods and the cross necklace seem to be the critical elements. I have a pit of traps with a small platform over it-- all the mourning woods and other regular enemies gather in the pit right below the platform, and the pumpkings gather above it, so if I set the nimbus clouds up above me, they rain down on everything providing a ton of healing. Then I just fire off shadowbeams/magnet spheres/golden rain/inferno forks above me into the pumpkings. With all the healing from nimbus+other spells, and the increased invincibility duration of the cross necklace, even multiple pumpkings don't pose a threat.

padijun posted:

I was stupid and forgot to bring mana potions, though, so that probably had something to do with it.

Try the mana shackles-- you get mana every time you're hit, which during the pumpkin moon is so frequently that you never have to worry about mana.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Honestly with Spectre Armour + Nimbus Rod, more bosses is even better. My regen is overwhelmingly more than the damage I could possibly take. Going all damage is definitely the smarter choice, you don't need to worry about defense for this invasion.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Fishstick posted:

So I know keeping my house >3 blocks above the ground stops wraiths from getting in since they only travel through blocks - but do background walls allow them to move?

Nope, they can only swim through solid blocks, back walls don't let them float up.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The fact that the Band of Starpower can't be gotten from Crimson Hearts is mildly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
How big do rooms have to be to support artificial biomes? The wiki is not specific. I am trying to get my witch doctor set up and also have a mushroom room going before i switch to hardmode.

• Locked thread