Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It being northern they are definitely wheat not rice, and not really noodles so much as little shreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salty.
Nov 5, 2009

Shnooks posted:

I've been looking for youtiao for a while now and I think I might be looking in the wrong place. Is that something you pick up at a bakery or at the market?

Most markets that have a section dedicated to siu mei and other prepared stuff have them. Any Chinese bakery should have them too, but they tend to be a little more expensive. At markets I can usually pick up a big paper bag filled with ones that have been sitting around for a dollar or two.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If your youtiao tastes a bit too metallic, throw it away. It's probably laced with too much industrial strength magnesium to make it crispier :downsrim:

Just came back from Beijing and drat the dumplings were amazing. Any one here know how to make the dough the right consistency? It's just slightly chewy without being soggy unlike Cantonese and other southern jiaozi.

Oh and enjoy this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWLhrHVySgA

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Shnooks posted:

I've been looking for youtiao for a while now and I think I might be looking in the wrong place. Is that something you pick up at a bakery or at the market?

They also have them in the frozen section. All you do is pop them in the oven to be baked up. It is definitely not as good as fresh ones but they are convenient for bak kut teh and porridges/congee.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

There's a Northern Chinese place near my house and they have something crazy delicious on the menu called "shredded pancake stir-fried with (pork/beef/chicken/etc) and vegetables." They serve it and most everything with black/shanxi vinegar on the side.
Does anyone know what this type of dish is called in Chinese? Google isn't helping.

My mom makes that at home but I'm not sure if it has a specific name. It's just for when we have leftovers of cong you bing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_onion_pancake

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

For one thing, and I know there are better restaurants out there for sure, but I just love everything at our local Northern Chinese restaurant. I know that Northern cuisine has historically been pretty overlooked, but the dry-stirfried sliced lamb/cumin/hot pepper/onions thing is maybe one of my favorite flavor combinations ever.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Thanks for the soup idea. I've barred myself from the grocery store until the fridge is less stocked so no dried shrimps, but I used up the last of my homemade chicken stock, shiitake mushrooms, some shao hsing, soy, and star anise (fished out) for an asian-ish broth, and delicious fried tofu and noodles for dinner. Might finish with a touch of fish sauce, needs a little something.

Might not be the best photographer, but it looks (and tastes!) delicious to me!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

There's a Northern Chinese place near my house and they have something crazy delicious on the menu called "shredded pancake stir-fried with (pork/beef/chicken/etc) and vegetables." They serve it and most everything with black/shanxi vinegar on the side.
Does anyone know what this type of dish is called in Chinese? Google isn't helping.

Given the English name, I'm gonna guess you had 炒饼丝 (chao bing si) or 炒饼 (chao bing) which is found pretty much anywhere north of Shandong. When I was studying in Qingdao I'd have it for lunch a lot.

It's basically a Baobing (薄饼) sliced up in to strips then stir fried with veggies or meat.

If you're just looking for the Chinese name it'd be XX炒饼 where whatever is in the dish would precede the 炒饼. 鸡蛋炒饼 (egg)、肉丝炒饼 (pork)、青椒炒饼 (green pepper) and 牛肉炒饼 (beef) were the kinds I came across in Qingdao.

http://www.meishij.net/zuofa/xihongshijidanchaobing.html here's a recipe for a tomato and fried egg variety of chao bing. It's in Chinese but has so many pictures I think anyone can figure it out. The type of pancake used is generally made on a huge, flat circular griddle type of thing where both the top and bottom are heated and the pancake cooks in like 10 seconds.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Magna Kaser posted:

Given the English name, I'm gonna guess you had 炒饼丝 (chao bing si) or 炒饼 (chao bing) which is found pretty much anywhere north of Shandong. When I was studying in Qingdao I'd have it for lunch a lot.

It's basically a Baobing (薄饼) sliced up in to strips then stir fried with veggies or meat.

If you're just looking for the Chinese name it'd be XX炒饼 where whatever is in the dish would precede the 炒饼. 鸡蛋炒饼 (egg)、肉丝炒饼 (pork)、青椒炒饼 (green pepper) and 牛肉炒饼 (beef) were the kinds I came across in Qingdao.

http://www.meishij.net/zuofa/xihongshijidanchaobing.html here's a recipe for a tomato and fried egg variety of chao bing. It's in Chinese but has so many pictures I think anyone can figure it out. The type of pancake used is generally made on a huge, flat circular griddle type of thing where both the top and bottom are heated and the pancake cooks in like 10 seconds.

Thanks so much! That Tomato and Egg one sounds great, and I can sort of read enough basic Chinese thanks to Japanese to muddle my way through it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

Wow I had no idea this was a thing. Consider my mind blown. Pretty awesome though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

When I lived in NJ the asian groceries had these packages of what looked to be advertised as sauce for noodles. They were a large bag containing maybe a dozen small baggies inside, each of the smaller bags had about an ounce/25g of some kind of sauce.I found an ebay seller here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281191916448?lpid=82
but does anybody have a link to a more established storefront selling this stuff, or some better search terms? (I haven't been able to find them at the Ranch 99 closest to me, and it's a trek to get to other asian groceries...)

Thanks!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

EVG posted:

Thanks for the soup idea. I've barred myself from the grocery store until the fridge is less stocked so no dried shrimps, but I used up the last of my homemade chicken stock, shiitake mushrooms, some shao hsing, soy, and star anise (fished out) for an asian-ish broth, and delicious fried tofu and noodles for dinner. Might finish with a touch of fish sauce, needs a little something.

Might not be the best photographer, but it looks (and tastes!) delicious to me!

Soup looks good! Nice rich brown colour from using strong stock. I'm surprised at how brown it is, perhaps it's from soy sauce? If you want to season your broth, use dark soy sauce, it has more a sugary taste and not so salty.

If you don't want to fish out your peppers, herbs, and random bits and pieces, put everything into a cheese cloth or a disposable soup bag.

This is just my opinion, but I think the noodles got too overcooked/bloated. It happens when you cook vegetables and noodles together, somehow the noodles always swell up in no time, absorbing the vegetable water content. If you want to cook your noodles in soup to soak up flavour, use the thin type. The thick flat ones are more for last minute. And of course run your noodles in cold water before serving.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

caberham posted:

Any one here know how to make the dough the right consistency? It's just slightly chewy without being soggy unlike Cantonese and other southern jiaozi.

Hard flour, lots of kneading, be Chinese.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

fritz posted:

When I lived in NJ the asian groceries had these packages of what looked to be advertised as sauce for noodles. They were a large bag containing maybe a dozen small baggies inside, each of the smaller bags had about an ounce/25g of some kind of sauce.I found an ebay seller here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281191916448?lpid=82
but does anybody have a link to a more established storefront selling this stuff, or some better search terms? (I haven't been able to find them at the Ranch 99 closest to me, and it's a trek to get to other asian groceries...)

Thanks!

The stuff you linked is dan dan mian, which has like a dozen completely different ways that it can be made. The stuff you linked looks like a variety with ground pork and a thin sauce. There's also a kind that has a thick peanut/sesame based sauce that often also has some spicy/numbing Sichuan flavor to it. Unfortunately all of the different flavors are called "dan dan mian" so it might take some trial and error to find the exact kind you want. I will say that they're all delicious though so have it doesn't hurt to try them all.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bamhand posted:

The stuff you linked is dan dan mian, which has like a dozen completely different ways that it can be made. The stuff you linked looks like a variety with ground pork and a thin sauce. There's also a kind that has a thick peanut/sesame based sauce that often also has some spicy/numbing Sichuan flavor to it. Unfortunately all of the different flavors are called "dan dan mian" so it might take some trial and error to find the exact kind you want. I will say that they're all delicious though so have it doesn't hurt to try them all.

Yeah, I knew it was dan dan, I should have specified. What I want is just some kind of prepackaged sauce in that kind of form factor, doesn't have to be dan dan flavored. But thanks!

(I've been really disappointed in the groceries here on the Peninsula in the bay area)

EDIT: in particular so that I can do things like 'at lunchtime cook up a thing of fresh noodles, fry some of that sauce + onions in a pan, mix, eat, go back to doing things', those little minipacks are just the right size for that.

fritz fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 23, 2013

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

caberham posted:

Soup looks good! Nice rich brown colour from using strong stock. I'm surprised at how brown it is, perhaps it's from soy sauce? If you want to season your broth, use dark soy sauce, it has more a sugary taste and not so salty.

If you don't want to fish out your peppers, herbs, and random bits and pieces, put everything into a cheese cloth or a disposable soup bag.

This is just my opinion, but I think the noodles got too overcooked/bloated. It happens when you cook vegetables and noodles together, somehow the noodles always swell up in no time, absorbing the vegetable water content. If you want to cook your noodles in soup to soak up flavour, use the thin type. The thick flat ones are more for last minute. And of course run your noodles in cold water before serving.

Thanks for the advice! Actually cooked the noodles separately and put them in. Not sure what noodles I used, just grabbed one of the packages of misc. chinese noodles I had in the cupboard. I think I do have thinner ones, will use those next time.

The broth was dark because of the soy, and also it was actually stock. Didn't realize that when I thawed it from the freezer, but was pleasantly surprised to find SoupJello when I went for leftovers the next day. A bit of a waste for that lovely concentrated stock - teach me to label things in the freezer next time.

My Asian grocer has all of the weird bits of meat (it's in the vietnamese neighborhood so everything you've ever seen as an ingredient for Pho, they gots). I'm particularly intrigued by the pork neck bones. Anything delicious I can make with a pile of those? Pork stock would be the obvious, but I wouldn't know what to do with it (besides Ramen, and that would be like a 3 day undertaking to do right with all of the other things I'd want to add). Or other unusual pork or beef bits I should play with?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

EVG posted:

Thanks for the advice! Actually cooked the noodles separately and put them in. Not sure what noodles I used, just grabbed one of the packages of misc. chinese noodles I had in the cupboard. I think I do have thinner ones, will use those next time.

The broth was dark because of the soy, and also it was actually stock. Didn't realize that when I thawed it from the freezer, but was pleasantly surprised to find SoupJello when I went for leftovers the next day. A bit of a waste for that lovely concentrated stock - teach me to label things in the freezer next time.

My Asian grocer has all of the weird bits of meat (it's in the vietnamese neighborhood so everything you've ever seen as an ingredient for Pho, they gots). I'm particularly intrigued by the pork neck bones. Anything delicious I can make with a pile of those? Pork stock would be the obvious, but I wouldn't know what to do with it (besides Ramen, and that would be like a 3 day undertaking to do right with all of the other things I'd want to add). Or other unusual pork or beef bits I should play with?

Pork trotters are awesome. Chop em and boil them until soft, then stir fry with ginger, garlic, scallions, etc.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Keep using fancy stock, that's what higher end Cantonese restaurants do. That's my gripe with northern Chinese soup noodles, great texture but the soup is always watery thin with cilantro and msg.

It might sound kind of gross, but dump left over soup back into the pot, boil it, sieve it, and then cook vegetables with it. Use this stock for stews, braises or as a substitute for water.

Make congee with it.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Posted in the general questions thread but this is probably a better place to ask :downs:

I've been experimenting with a combination of Chinese & Vietnamese cooking, pretty much a variation of Vietnamese Shaking Beef (Bo Luc Lac) with some velveting added to the mix.

My recipe is pretty much chicken or beef diced into cubes then I add:

1tbsp Sugar
1tbsp Corn Starch
1tsp Salt
Pinch of MSG
2tbsp Oyster Sauce
2tbsp Soy Sauce or Fish Sauce
1tbsp Rice Vinegar
1tsp of Peanut Oil
Some times a few cloves of garlic or a tbsp of garlic chili sauce.

I mix it all up, let it sit for a few hours, sous vide it (chicken @ 140 for 1-2 hours) in the marinade, and then I pour everything onto an oiled cast iron skillet. I've used a wok before but I really like the heat distribution of cast iron. I reduce the liquid until everything caramelizes nicely and then scoop it onto some rice.

It tastes amazing and is one of my favorite recipes so far but I need some input. When I cook it on the cast iron, a lot of the caramelization (which is concentrated full of delicious flavor) gets stuck onto the pan. I just scrape it all up and mix it all up on the pan while the liquid continues to reduce. Should I just switch over to the wok to avoid having to scrape all the delicious gunk? Am I being an idiot for using cast iron? I really enjoy the caramelized gunk but I feel like its 'wrong'. I'm unaware of any other recipe that involves "scrape that delicious poo poo and mix it back into the meat".

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I really enjoy the caramelized gunk but I feel like its 'wrong'. I'm unaware of any other recipe that involves "scrape that delicious poo poo and mix it back into the meat".

Every French recipe ever.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You can call it fond if you prefer.

Sefira
Oct 29, 2013
I've basically been working with a frying pan for most of these type of recipes because I have an electric stove. I'm thinking about getting a good electric (or otherwise portable) wok in order to do it properly. Does anyone have experience with these types of things? If so, what brand and type would you reccommend, and why? I'm looking for one that works as closely as possible to a stove wok under ideal conditions.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sefira posted:

I've basically been working with a frying pan for most of these type of recipes because I have an electric stove. I'm thinking about getting a good electric (or otherwise portable) wok in order to do it properly. Does anyone have experience with these types of things? If so, what brand and type would you reccommend, and why? I'm looking for one that works as closely as possible to a stove wok under ideal conditions.

electric woks don't work. get a $10 carbon steel wok, and a propane burner like this. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/bayou-classic-outdoor-square-propane-burner/203186922.html?listingId=303053657

high heat is really crucial to stirfrys, otherwise you just overcook/steam everything and it's a loving goopy disgusting mess.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

electric woks don't work. get a $10 carbon steel wok, and a propane burner like this. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/bayou-classic-outdoor-square-propane-burner/203186922.html?listingId=303053657

high heat is really crucial to stirfrys, otherwise you just overcook/steam everything and it's a loving goopy disgusting mess.

Just agreeing with this. You need the special burner if you want to do it right.

Sefira
Oct 29, 2013
I used to hate my mother's stir-fries because they were always bland and gluggy. She never did them in a proper wok though, it was always a frying pan, usually with more liquid than was strictly necessary and on a low heat to not ruin the non-stick. Not that I dared to tell her that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stir-fry is not a starter food. The best advice you can give to someone wanting to try Chinese food is not to start with stir-fry. Chinese food is a huge collection of cuisines each with many different cooking techniques. Try recipes that call for baking (admittedly fewer) or boiling or steaming (gobs of these.) Stir-fry is not an easy technique especially if you have no experience.

I mean, try making Chinese-style chicken and beef broths first. Super easy. Throw things in a stock pot and boil them. Try boiled/fried dumplings. Somewhat time-consuming but dead easy. Make your own dough even, it's just water and flour and you'll be happy you did. Make authentic Chinese beef noodles. They require like three ingredients.

Stir fry requires the right equipment and experience in managing temperature. There are many Chinese dishes that require nothing more than a halfway-functioning brain and a pot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow, can't believe I never asked this before but something jarred my memory. How do you make the pot-sticker sauce you get in restaurants in the US? It's the sweet/sour kind. It's brown. I assume it's some combination of vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil but I've never gotten it sweet enough and it's always too salty. In central/west China everyone just dunks their dumplings in dark vinegar which I like, but it's not what I grew up with. Must be a Cantonese/East Coast thing?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Super simple - it's mirin and soy sauce and a touch of sesame oil. You can also buy "pot sticker sauce" from the Asian grocery but you'll see the ingredients are the same.

If you like it spicy, use chili sesame oil or add a bit of chili bean paste. I never remember the proportions and got tired of looking up recipes online so I ended up just buying a bottle of Dynasty brand, because I use it so rarely.

Try:

1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
1 teaspoon hot chili oil

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tylers-ultimate/potstickers-with-spicy-dipping-sauce-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Or:

1/4 Cup soy sauce
2 Tblsp. rice wine vinegar
1 Tsp.sugar
1 clove Garlic,minced
1 Tsp.grated fresh ginger
1/4 Cup chopped green onion
1/4 Tsp.crushed dried chili peppers,or 1 Tblsp.Oriental hot chili oil

http://www.grouprecipes.com/26781/golden-tiger-pot-sticker-dipping-sauce.html

Learn the basic ratios and then play around until you get one you like. :)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Anyone in here have a recommendation for a recipe for Three Cup Chicken? I recently tried it for the first time at a restaurant and absolutely loved it. Most of them seem to be just stir frying chicken with some aromatics and sesame oil and then boiling it in a bunch of shaoxing and soy sauce and reducing, then adding basil. Anything important here that's missing? I was considering adding in some bok choy or something so I didn't have to make it on the side, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Nickoten posted:

Anyone in here have a recommendation for a recipe for Three Cup Chicken? I recently tried it for the first time at a restaurant and absolutely loved it. Most of them seem to be just stir frying chicken with some aromatics and sesame oil and then boiling it in a bunch of shaoxing and soy sauce and reducing, then adding basil. Anything important here that's missing? I was considering adding in some bok choy or something so I didn't have to make it on the side, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

I used this recipe:

http://rasamalaysia.com/three-cups-chicken-recipe/2/

But I braised it for more like 45 minutes in a heavy pot, to get all that lovely magic happening with the collagen in the drumsticks. Just check the moisture level once in a while and throw in some water or stock if it gets too dry. Add green onion pancakes and you'll think you died and went to heaven.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

The recipe says use drumsticks, but also says they cut the chicken up. It's not cut, bone-in chicken is it? That would be odd. Any reason why you just can't use boneless thigh or similar?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Chinese chicken is almost always bone-in and cut up and dark meat. But you can use whatever you prefer.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I suppose I'd need a cleaver for that though. I could use our regular knife, but I get the feeling it might be a bit abusive to the nice chef's knife.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
My friend is going to Hong Kong for a week. Any recommendations for 1-2 ingredients I could have her pick up for me while she's over there?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

EVG posted:

The recipe says use drumsticks, but also says they cut the chicken up. It's not cut, bone-in chicken is it? That would be odd. Any reason why you just can't use boneless thigh or similar?

I just used whole drumsticks, and it came out fantastic. You could use a boneless thigh but you'd miss out on all that collagen.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, can't believe I never asked this before but something jarred my memory. How do you make the pot-sticker sauce you get in restaurants in the US? It's the sweet/sour kind. It's brown. I assume it's some combination of vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil but I've never gotten it sweet enough and it's always too salty. In central/west China everyone just dunks their dumplings in dark vinegar which I like, but it's not what I grew up with. Must be a Cantonese/East Coast thing?

I get good results by using mostly rice vinegar, and just a few splashes of soy sauce. then the sugar is easier to balance out, and it's not too salty. soy sauce loving destroys the flavor of everything else it touches if you use more than like a tablespoon. I rarely ever use more than a splash, even in marinades, just because it'd overwhelm the other components.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Save me jeebus posted:

I used this recipe:

http://rasamalaysia.com/three-cups-chicken-recipe/2/

But I braised it for more like 45 minutes in a heavy pot, to get all that lovely magic happening with the collagen in the drumsticks. Just check the moisture level once in a while and throw in some water or stock if it gets too dry. Add green onion pancakes and you'll think you died and went to heaven.

When that recipe says "Heat up a claypot on high heat and add the dark sesame oil" does that mean they are adding it to the hot clay pot and then cooking in the pot? Or just "heat up a pot" and cook everything else in a wok?

I suck at this.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Gorfob posted:

When that recipe says "Heat up a claypot on high heat and add the dark sesame oil" does that mean they are adding it to the hot clay pot and then cooking in the pot?

Actually I think I lied and I used this recipe:
http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/2012/06/three-cup-chicken-san-bei-ji.html

Sorry, I looked and I have several san bei ji recipes in my bookmarks. :shobon:

In any case, I threw it all my in my dutch oven, owing to the fact that I don't own a clay pot (yet). Basically I added sesame oil to my dutch oven, added the garlic and ginger, then added the chicken. Added soy and wine, stirred to coat, and lowered the heat down. I kept it just damp enough that the sauce was still fluid rather than sticky goop for about 45 minutes. Then I let it reduce to a near-sticky glaze. Add chiffonade of Thai basil at the end. Eat and die happy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

EVG posted:

It is, and don't do it. Just use boneless thigh. Basically Chinese culture's opinion on bones is that it would be far too much trouble for the cook to take care of it so it's the eater's job. Really. I got amazed reactions when I said that in the West fish is deboned before eating. People didn't believe me. Anyway it's a stupid opinion that results in thousands of deaths annually and difficult/annoying eating experiences. Go boneless!

The Chinese concept of butchery is to chop the absolute poo poo out of whatever it is with a cleaver. Takes two seconds but produces poor results. Duck/chicken breast is practically unusable with a thin layer of meat over a chopped up ribcage, which may be why their recipes never call for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Same here in Korea, it's awful. I quickly figured out how to ask them not to cut up my meat for me to avoid having the butcher ruin it.

By all means cook with bones to get the flavor but the practice over here of serving a pile of bones with some scraps of meat attached in there somewhere is just bullshit. I blew my girlfriend's mind when I showed her how to debone a fish. Had no idea it could be done.