Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BlitzBlast posted:

The joke is that the Mandala gundam's pilot went around killing his competitors before they could fight. Also Kiral's japanese name was Kiraru. Kirara.

They're getting pretty subtle with the references.

I thought, since so much of this show seems to celebrate the suit designs whilst hating on the plot of SEED, that it might be intentional that you have Kirara, who is an idol like Lacus but is also a evil, manipulative cow like Flay.

Kind of hope that at one point we see Ral as a young man, or his adult son, either one looking like Andrew Waltfeld.

Really digging the mobile suits they are using, I love the Gerba Tetra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

As a general rule this show seems to hate Gundam SEED. Apart from the Build Strike we've seen the Freedom(Cut in half), Zaku Gunner Warrior (threatened to be cut), and the Justice (Shot to death). I suppose its to make up for the fact that the main Gundam is from SEED (kinda, not really) but still.

We've also seen machines from every other show get wrecked and, again, two of the machines that get special OP status are Gundam SEED units. (The Astray Sengoku as well.)

This is people looking for 'official' justification of their personal SEED hatred while ignoring this is the same show where a Ball wrecked a bunch of advanced mobile suits. We've seen the Sumo get smashed, the Wing Zero got dismantled by a Gyan in the first episode, the Hamarabi got utterly wrecked as an excuse to show off Build Strike's upgrade, and tons of other units have been dismantled in the sideshots.

Trying to read some sort of metacommentary into the destruction of the suits is silly as hell. Every unit that gets beaten in Build Fighters is not secretly hated by the staff.

Edit: Actually if there is a meta-commentary, it seems to be 'customizing your suit more = winning, using base suits = get your rear end kicked." In other words, BUY MORE TOYS.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 28, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I'm not saying the producers SECRETLY HATE SEED, that's absurd, I just noticed an amusing little trend with the Amazing. Anyone who reads anything into that is frankly being kind of silly.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
drat fake geek girls, poisoning our hobby! :argh:

It seems we've gotten a glimpse of our antagonist organization, and they've already pegged Sei as a threat to their somehow Gunpla-related world domination plans. Betting we'll see Kirara again halfway through the show, with the Love-Love Psyco Gundam-chan.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Fred is on posted:

It seems we've gotten a glimpse of our antagonist organization, and they've already pegged Sei as a threat to their somehow Gunpla-related world domination plans. Betting we'll see Kirara again halfway through the show, with the Love-Love Psyco Gundam-chan.

Antagonist organization? Who, the guys at the beginning of the episode? I thought they were Kirara's fanboys that built her Gerbera.

edit: oh poo poo you mean the dude at the end of the episode, never mind. I wasn't even thinking of that, I was like "of course Yuuki has to take over a big company". Didn't even think about them being the antagonists.

For content: I'm really loving this show's soundtrack. That theme that played at the beginning, when Reiji blocked that megaparticle cannon shot, is particularly awesome. Any one know if/when they'll release it?

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 29, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fred is on posted:

drat fake geek girls, poisoning our hobby! :argh:

I know it goes without saying but holy crap the internet comments from elsewhere about this episode are really lovely and terrible.

Also I think watching over 20 different Gundam series means having to watch a few SD Gundam shows :ohdear:

(depending on how you define series at least, like if you count Endless Waltz as part of Wing or its own thing)

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Srice posted:

I know it goes without saying but holy crap the internet comments from elsewhere about this episode are really lovely and terrible.

I shudder to think about just the YouTube comments alone.

Am I the only one who saw the damage done to the Build Strike and just shuddered at the thought at it happening to my stuff?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

NotALizardman posted:

Antagonist organization? Who, the guys at the beginning of the episode? I thought they were Kirara's fanboys that built her Gerbera.

edit: oh poo poo you mean the dude at the end of the episode, never mind. I wasn't even thinking of that, I was like "of course Yuuki has to take over a big company". Didn't even think about them being the antagonists.

Oh, no, you're actually right. I hadn't noticed those two guys were the same people, and thought that "her agency" really meant some Evil Organization X, and that the guys at the beginning were her bosses picking her as their monster-of-the-week. :v: Well played, show, I guess.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Someone also pointed out that Kirara's Mihoshi clothes are similar to Marida Cruz's in the first episode of Gundam Unicorn.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

the Wing Zero got dismantled by a Gyan in the first episode,

You've made this error twice now and I keep getting annoyed by it. :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You've made this error twice now and I keep getting annoyed by it. :argh:

Whatever Wing it is. I can't really keep the two straight. v:shobon:v

aers
Feb 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

2chan rumors claim that we won't be seeing anything from 00 S2 or AGE because another network still has the contracts for them. Sounds plausible enough, and to be honest if it means getting to see more of the older stuff then I'm fine with that.

I'm not sure what their source is but 2ch seems to be taking this as accepted. Its getting included in the OP FAQ for their new BF threads when old ones get full.

MBS/TBS airs mainline Gundam series and would have the rights to those, whereas BF is airing on TV Tokyo. Makes sense. Also, 00 S1 aired more than 5 years ago and speculation puts that as the cutoff.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Aren't idols supposed to look better on-stage than when they're dressed normally?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Diaper skirts are in. Big hats are out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

Whatever Wing it is. I can't really keep the two straight. v:shobon:v

The easiest way to tell is to look at the color scheme. The Wing is pretty much all blue, while the Wing Zero has tons of red.

Of course, considering the hosed up status of the Wing gundams, another way is to look for gigantic angel wings. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really loved the dorky Kakricon and Jerid dudes in the Marasai at the beginning of this ep. I want more dudes like that just in the background, like when Reiji went to the gunpla cafe.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pyronic posted:

hopefully it will never stop :allears:

Has to stop at some point, since Reiji is likely to beat him at some point in the future. I saw someone on /m/ speculate that Reiji flying the Mk II in the ending is a bit of a red herring and that it'll really be Sei using it, because it'd make such a good parallel to have him use the Mk II after his dad used the RX-78-2. I'm not really sure I believe they're going for that, but it does make some sense when thought of from that point of view and I do think it'd be a cool direction to go. Also, I like the idea that Sei builds the unit Reiji pilots, and Reiji builds the one that Sei pilots to help him learn to appreciate Gunpla as Yuuki was talking to him about at the end of this episode.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

We've also seen machines from every other show get wrecked and, again, two of the machines that get special OP status are Gundam SEED units. (The Astray Sengoku as well.)

This is people looking for 'official' justification of their personal SEED hatred while ignoring this is the same show where a Ball wrecked a bunch of advanced mobile suits. We've seen the Sumo get smashed, the Wing Zero got dismantled by a Gyan in the first episode, the Hamarabi got utterly wrecked as an excuse to show off Build Strike's upgrade, and tons of other units have been dismantled in the sideshots.

Trying to read some sort of metacommentary into the destruction of the suits is silly as hell. Every unit that gets beaten in Build Fighters is not secretly hated by the staff.

Edit: Actually if there is a meta-commentary, it seems to be 'customizing your suit more = winning, using base suits = get your rear end kicked." In other words, BUY MORE TOYS.

For the record I actually really enjoy SEED and I'm one of the few here who actually can tolerate SEED destiny (the compilation movies anyways), I was just commenting that as a series SEED seems to be getting a high amount of close up shots of major suits being destroyed.

I don't think the show's writers hate SEED as a show, I'm saying that four episodes in we haven't seen a standard SEED model do anything but suck and die and that I wouldn't be surprised if this was a conscious decision to allow other series to shine since the main suit is based off a SEED design. I just don't think its a total coincidence that we have both the Freedom and the Justice, the two headline Gundams from their series getting wrecked in throw away scenes.

You could be right on the commentary however, that its just a way of showing that stock suits are terrible compared to custom builds.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wish the Build Mk II looked more like the Super Gundam. gently caress it, I just want the Super Gundam to show up again with a Katz analogue.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

I just want the Super Gundam to show up again with a Katz analogue.

...why?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Katz is hilarious.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

muike posted:

Katz's death is hilarious.

fixed that for you. But if he did show up I'm hoping he'd be some whiny mook that China could take out in her first fight.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Monaghan posted:

fixed that for you. But if he did show up I'm hoping he'd be some whiny mook that China could take out in her first fight.

He borrows the Build Strike without telling Sei and accidentally sets it on fire.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

BlitzBlast posted:

The easiest way to tell is to look at the color scheme. The Wing is pretty much all blue, while the Wing Zero has tons of red.

Of course, considering the hosed up status of the Wing gundams, another way is to look for gigantic angel wings. :v:

Well, Zero already had larger wing binders than Wing, so when you add Ver. Ka on top of that, things are gonna escalate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got around to watching the most recent episode and... eh. It was the first really negative episode for me. Kirara is basically a bunch of awful stereotypes, the fight was really uninteresting, and it'd be nice if China wasn't acting like a Gundam AGE character. It had its moments but it was the first episode I just wanted to end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I kinda felt the same way, to a lesser extent. Which is partly why I'm hoping Kirara comes around on Build Fighters, since while I'm sure it wasn't the intent I couldn't shake the feeling some dude out there was going 'yeah, bitches taking advantage of nerds. *nodnod*.'

That said, while China isn't great, she's at least shown some degree of personality, like how she keeps getting baffled by Ramba Ral. That's more character than most of the characters in AGE showed, female or otherwise.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I got around to watching the most recent episode and... eh. It was the first really negative episode for me. Kirara is basically a bunch of awful stereotypes, the fight was really uninteresting, and it'd be nice if China wasn't acting like a Gundam AGE character. It had its moments but it was the first episode I just wanted to end.

Kirara is clearly coming back and will develop a healthy love of Gundam while probably still being a fantastic, manipulative bitch, it's gonna own. I don't see how China was acting like an AGE character, outside of beinginterested in a boy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Kirara is clearly coming back and will develop a healthy love of Gundam while probably still being a fantastic, manipulative bitch, it's gonna own. I don't see how China was acting like an AGE character, outside of beinginterested in a boy.

She spent the entire episode sitting in the background looking frustrated at Flit Sei as he expressed interest in another girl without actually doing or saying anything meaningful until she 'won' by default. So far her contribution to the series has been "Do you have a Gunpla even a girl can build?" and this which isn't a great first impression.

Endorph posted:

That said, while China isn't great, she's at least shown some degree of personality, like how she keeps getting baffled by Ramba Ral. That's more character than most of the characters in AGE showed, female or otherwise.

She's fine when she's playing the straight woman to Ramba Ral's hilarity though, that's true.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, as said after the last episode - she's the girly girl. Kirara and the Finnish character at the least use non-girly units, if pink painted in Kirara's case, so it's not like all the female cast will be like that. Her role is probably never going to be more than token love interest, friend and girly-girl though outside of a fight every now and then within the competition using her Bearguy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

She spent the entire episode sitting in the background looking frustrated at Flit Sei as he expressed interest in another girl without actually doing or saying anything meaningful until she 'won' by default. So far her contribution to the series has been "Do you have a Gunpla even a girl can build?" and this which isn't a great first impression.

China wasn't in the background, she was the main character of the episode. She's super shy, that's a character trait, not a flaw. I wouldn't be surprised if Gunpla helps her overcome her shyness.
She didn't ask if there were Gunplas even a girl could build, she asked if there were any Gunpla for girls, which is very different and it's kind of weird that you would misinterpret it like that.
Now if you want to argue that Gundam is for everyone regardless of gender and anyone should be able to see that, I think that's being unfair to the character, and if you wanna argue that society should abandon the idea of some things being for girls and some things being for boys, well the only children's cartoon that I can think of that does that is Adventure Time, and really you should be applauding Gundam Build Fighters for answering the question "is there Gunpla for girls?" with "yes, all the Gunpla! Bearguys and Gerbera Tetras and Quebeleys, Gunpla is for everyone!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

She didn't ask if there were Gunplas even a girl could build, she asked if there were any Gunpla for girls, which is very different and it's kind of weird that you would misinterpret it like that.

No, the literal translation of what she said is "Are there any gunpla that even girls can build?" The Youtube translation is "Are there any Gunpla for girls?" but that's a bit off from what she said.

tsob posted:

Well, as said after the last episode - she's the girly girl. Kirara and the Finnish character at the least use non-girly units, if pink painted in Kirara's case, so it's not like all the female cast will be like that. Her role is probably never going to be more than token love interest, friend and girly-girl though outside of a fight every now and then within the competition using her Bearguy.

Yeah, that's my general concern. :smith: I hope the Quebely pilot gets to be a bit more of a character. Otherwise I'm enjoying the show, glorified toy commerical or no.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 30, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

boom boom boom posted:

you should be applauding Gundam Build Fighters for answering the question "is there Gunpla for girls?" with "yes, all the Gunpla! Bearguys and Gerbera Tetras and Quebeleys, Gunpla is for everyone!"

Fuckin' word UP, I am so glad they're doing this. No coincidence that the pink Meerkat Zaku showed up in Ep2, IMO and even if it's driven by commercial concerns it'd still a shockingly progressive message on multiple levels.

That's assuming they can pull it off, of course. After what happened last time I gotta wonder who the brave executive was who stood up and said "uh, hey, fellows, we managed to gain a lot of female followers with that SEED thing, maybe we shouldn't try to drive them all away again this time?"

edit: this topic just made me realize how far female roles have regressed in Gundam since loving 1979, and it makes me want to weep openly.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 30, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

No, the literal translation of what she said is "Are there any gunpla that even girls can build?"

Well that explains why Sei handed her the gunpla beginner's kit. Man, here I thought he explained offscreen that both genders can enjoy the same designs equally. :smith:

Oh well, the point of China's character is that she's completely new to all of this. Since she's due to get Bearguy III, presumably at some point she'll be comfortable enough to figure out what she likes. Cue an expertly painted Bearguy that moves at warp speed and trashes the Build Strike in a fair fight. :getin:

With a face like that, you just know this thing is going to kick rear end.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 30, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Original Bearguy was insanely powerful in the show it was from so that may be true.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bimmi posted:

edit: this topic just made me realize how far female roles have regressed in Gundam since loving 1979, and it makes me want to weep openly.
Eh, it's not like the original Gundam was perfect about it. There's a whole lot of 'women as tragic figures' and not a large amount of 'women as just people.' It's not as bad as it gets in some later Tomino Gundam stuff, mind, but it's still noticeable.

Seriously, it's loving weird how many tragic deaths in the Gundam series are women. If you have a vagina in a Gundam universe, there's 50/50 odds you're gonna die dramatically.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I bet if you actually count the odds are worse than that in some of the series. Especially Zeta.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

I bet if you actually count the odds are worse than that in some of the series. Especially Zeta.
Zeta? I feel like you're forgetting the bikini death squads of UC 0153.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Zeta? I feel like you're forgetting the bikini death squads of UC 0153.

And the Shrike Team, who got reinforcements halfway through the series so even more women would get floaty naked death-shots. Tomino actually explains his reasoning for this in Victory, and it's as bizarre as you might expect. Basically, women are better and more important than men, because they alone have the ability to create life. Therefore, the greatest tragedies of war are for women to learn to destroy rather than create life (this is what makes Katejina so horrifying), and for them to die before they can create life. Thus, in this vision, the best way to illustrate the tragedy and the futility of war is to kill off a shitload of women.

Thank God he started thinking of women as people again by the time Turn A came around.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Tomino had a pretty decent run with his female characters, all things considered. Also V is a poo poo series full of terrible ideas and even he has admitted this for a long time now.

And the bar set by AGE in the feminist respect is so low that the only thing you need do to clear it is to actually include some girls whose role goes beyond that of "plot device" or "background noise," and it seems that GBF may be well on the way to that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I've never seen more that a couple episodes of Victory (and remember being really loving confused by the first episode), but I like Haman Karn, Sayla Mass and Emma Sheen a lot. Okay, yeah, they both get killed off eventually, but I thought they were pretty decent characters. Ellen Ripley is like the #1 strong female character in cinema and even she dies eventually (like a total badass I might add, that was one of the few good things about Alien 3.)

Honestly, in my book Haman Karn is one of the best Gundam bad guys along with Char and Master Asia, and I'm hoping Quebely girl is an analog to Haman as Zaku Amazing dude is sort of Char-like. I'm not a huge fan of ZZ, but Haman is a really cool baddie. Although it IS really loving weird and gross how an adult woman gets the hots for 14 year old Judau.

• Locked thread