Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

axeil posted:

The second boss was still kind of bullshit. I'm sneaking around in invisible mode and you can still see me? :mad:

Whatever, I just wasted her with her own turrets upstairs while I ran around like an idiot.

Despite them making the infinite stun gun lock impossible to do now, I think they made it easier. I don't remember if this was in the original fight, but now there's tons of EMP mines sitting around which you can place right next to electricity things and just wait for her to run over and get hurt while you hack your way upstairs and fill the whole room with gas. I didn't even realize the turrets were there until I went back up there after the fact and got shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

miscellaneous14 posted:

I like how extensively they mention in the dev commentaries that they planned to have Lower Hengsha be a much bigger place, and also have another overworld section for Upper Hengsha. Additionally there's one where they mention some of the actual level designers were getting lost in the city before they added signage. :laugh:

It's amazing how much more ambitious they wanted to be with this game, and how much got cut, and yet still managed to create an experience that's within shouting distance of equaling that of the original (which is my favorite game ever).

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Can you still just typhoon the bosses into oblivion? That's all I did on all of them in the original game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

It's amazing how much more ambitious they wanted to be with this game, and how much got cut, and yet still managed to create an experience that's within shouting distance of equaling that of the original (which is my favorite game ever).

There was just as much (if not more) cut from the original Deus Ex. There were even plans for a section in space, among other things.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Spalec posted:

Can you still just typhoon the bosses into oblivion? That's all I did on all of them in the original game.

Worked pretty well on the second one. That and shooting her in the face with a chaingun

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ModHook+No Ads+Map Select+Debug Menu for Director's Cut.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

:allears: you are the best.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dominic White posted:

There was just as much (if not more) cut from the original Deus Ex. There were even plans for a section in space, among other things.

I believe it was the Area 51 level, initially the game was going to be a bit more like Blade Runner where basic interplanetary colonization was a thing. The Area 51 level was supposed to be a base on the moon or something. Craziness.

I really do wish they had a third hub in Human Revolution though. If not upper Hengsha than at least Montreal, apparently the Montreal hub was where all the backstory and exposition on Barrett/Yelena/etc. was to happen.

Biggest missing thing from Deus Ex 1 though:

TRACER TONG HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY THE MAJESTIC 12.

ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE TRACER?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 27, 2013

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

I really do wish they had a third hub in Human Revolution though. If not upper Hengsha than at least Montreal, apparently the Montreal hub was where all the backstory and exposition on Barrett/Yelena/etc. was to happen.
I still remember just how excited I was about the Montreal hub since I was "relatively unspoiled about the third hub" and couldn't wait to see all the stuff I had no idea about.

Then they revealed the reason I didn't hear much about it was because it didn't exist anymore, mostly (aside from that mission, obviously). :(

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Neo Rasa posted:

I believe it was the Area 51 level, initially the game was going to be a bit more like Blade Runner where basic interplanetary colonization was a thing. The Area 51 level was supposed to be a base on the moon or something. Craziness.

Biggest missing thing from Deus Ex 1 though:

TRACER TONG HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY THE MAJESTIC 12.

ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE TRACER?

Wow, as much as I love these pages covering the making of and history of the original, I had forgotten all about that those sample artwork pieces.

http://nuwen.net/dx.html
http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx/bible/
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3114/postmortem_ion_storms_deus_ex.php

Suddenly, the Invisible War cover looks less out-of-place blingy.

On the other hand, I couldn't forget the concentration camp rescue missions that were cut from the game taking place in Austin and/or San Antonio though, since the studio was in Austin and it's where I live now. I can only imagine that with the engine at the time, it would have looked liked absolute poo poo to try and depict a lot of people clamoring in outdoor prison yards. They do a decent job with the riot barriers in DX:HR showing a small crowd behind it without letting you get too close to see any flaws.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 27, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

M...modhook? What kinds of mods will be possible?

Will we finally be able to make energy regen all the way by itself now? And can I finally remove the bullet tracer graphics from the game I've been complaining like a lunatic about since the game came out?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I love you.

Has anyone had a chance to check out this Cheat Engine script to fix energy regen in Director's Cut?

quote:

This has nothing to do with the actual trainer. You will have to use cheat engine. The end result is the same tho.
Step by step guide:
1. Download, install and start cheatengine.
2. Start Deus EX.
3. Tab to cheat engine.
4. Select the deus ex process from the long list, by clicking the little computer with a magnifying glass.
5. Press CTRL + ALT + L to bring up LUA script editor.
6. Copy in the script, press "execute script".
7. Tab back into the game and enjoy

code:
local addr = "[[[[[dxhr.exe+015DE1A8]+14]+270]+6C]+A0]+274";
local f = createForm( true );
local t = createTimer( f, true );
timer_setInterval( t, 1000 );

timer_onTimer( t, function( )
local energy = readFloat(addr);
if math.abs(energy % 30.0) < 0.005 then
writeFloat(addr, energy + 0.01);
end
end );
may have glitch, if it borks you can try

code:
local addr = "[[[[[dxhr.exe+015DE1A8]+14]+270]+6C]+A0]+274";
local f = createForm( true );
local t = createTimer( f, true );
timer_setInterval( t, 1000 );

timer_onTimer( t, function( )
local energy = readFloat(addr);
if energy then
if math.abs(energy % 30.0) < 0.005 then
writeFloat(addr, energy + 0.01);
end
end
end );

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

Has anyone had a chance to check out this Cheat Engine script to fix energy regen in Director's Cut?

Worked for me the last time I did a playthrough IIRC. It makes takedowns even more broken but who cares - it's much more fun than scrounging for candy.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Wouldn't the memory address be in a different location in DR? Maybe it could be converted to a mod for gibb's addon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey gibbed, what program would you recommend for extracting stuff from the game's archived files so we can see what we're working with?

Man, I'm already really excited about the possibilities here. DX:HR has always struck me as being similar to Just Cause 2 in that you have a decent game that has the potential to be an absolutely brilliant, timeless game, but it's just not there because it was kind of tied down and hamstrung by a bunch of superficial, really poor design decisions that could easily be modded out... if only the tools were available.

Can't wait to see what comes of this.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 28, 2013

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Hey gibbed, what program would you recommend for extracting stuff from the game's archived files so we can see what we're working with?
http://svn.gib.me/public/crystaldynamics/trunk/
http://svn.gib.me/builds/crystaldynamics/deusex3/

Data isn't well defined, unfortunately.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is there a way to turn the HUD off to take screenshots and such?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The commentary is really cool. I don't think it ever occurred to me that the occasional shots of cameras following Jensen in the cinematics were supposed to be foreshadowing Eliza.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I should preface this by saying that I don't usually subscribe to the sort of voodoo that circulates around "performance tweaks" for most games. For the last few hours, I've been messing around with various graphics settings and still getting generally mediocre performance, especially for running on a 3750k i5@ 4.1ghz, 8GB of fast DDR3 RAM, an ATI 7790, and a Samsung 840 SSD. The game ran okay, but it seemed to struggle a lot. So, I decided to try those reg tweaks that were made for solving stuttering and performance issues on the original game:

This is courtesy of Fr33jack on the guru3d.com forums:
This may resolve any stuttering issues and fps drops with DeusEx:HRDC - In regedit open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex: HRDC and locate AllowJobStealing - set it to 0 ;
For NVIDIA owners - in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex: HRDC\Graphics locate AtiForceFetch4 - set it to 0
An additional fix is in the Deus Ex: HRDC folder, set D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_PREVENT_INTERNAL_THREADING_OPTIMIZATIONS to 1.

I don't know why, but they've significantly improved my performance and eliminated stuttering issues almost entirely. I'm getting a really smooth, responsive framerate even with most settings set to high/maxed out. I guess this is worth checking out if you just started playing DX:HR with the director's cut (like me) and think something is wrong with your performance.
Quoting these for a few pages later, since they definitely took the game from a kind of fluctuating ~30fps to a consistent 60fps for me.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

No joke - someone on the Steam forums managed to discover that running Chrome in the background fixed performance issues in the Director's Cut.

I just tried it. It's not a lie. :psyduck: Just.. Open Chrome, leave it there, go run the game. I don't understand at all.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

LiquidRain posted:

No joke - someone on the Steam forums managed to discover that running Chrome in the background fixed performance issues in the Director's Cut.

I just tried it. It's not a lie. :psyduck: Just.. Open Chrome, leave it there, go run the game. I don't understand at all.
Do you have power saving enabled on your GPU? It might only be kicking in with Chrome launched since webpages are all GPU-accelerated these days.

Still really weird that the game isn't triggering it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That may be it. I noticed that my GPU was only at like 30-40% utilization while running the game before I made those registry changes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That may be why I've never had issues as Chrome is always open on my machine.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

FuzzySlippers posted:

That may be why I've never had issues as Chrome is always open on my machine.

Yup, same here. I'll try with Chrome not running next time.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Did anyone notice the Directors Cut is kinda rear end? The redone boss fights are so pathetic and half baked.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Did anyone notice the Directors Cut is kinda rear end? The redone boss fights are so pathetic and half baked.

They are better than they were but they still really don't fit into the game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The original plans they talked about for the boss fights sounded a lot better. Actually having more options than just them dying. Sadly development issues prevented all that. They still wouldn't make a ton of sense.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

cheesetriangles posted:

I really dig the DC for the commentary alone, the rest is just gravy. The redone boss fights are still kinda meh, yes, but way better compared to the original ones.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I got this game for free with my graphics card and am playing through it for the first time. Still in Detroit.

Is this DC worth the $10? Aside from boss fights which I have been avoiding spoilers about, seems like mostly aesthetic tweaks and commentary. And can I move my saves over to the new executable?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fuschia tude posted:

Is this DC worth the $10?

Yes, since you would get the Missing Link DLC as well. And no, saves are not compatible.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
What the hell is up with the framerate? It's near unplayable despite trying those reg fixes. I don't remember having these issues with the non-director's cut.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Brainamp posted:

Yes, since you would get the Missing Link DLC as well. And no, saves are not compatible.

If it came with a Steam code you can grab the Directors cut for ten bucks and get the DLC that way.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yarrington posted:

What the hell is up with the framerate? It's near unplayable despite trying those reg fixes. I don't remember having these issues with the non-director's cut.

Nobody knows for sure. Try running the game with an internet browser (like chrome) open in the background. Just recently, some people were saying that this helped a lot, possibly because the game isn't telling graphics cards to run at a proper speed.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

SirDan3k posted:

If it came with a Steam code you can grab the Directors cut for ten bucks and get the DLC that way.

Exactly, hence the $10.

Brainamp posted:

And no, saves are not compatible.

Guess I'll wait for a steam sale for a second playthrough, then. Thanks.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I pretty much have chrome running on my second monitor for the entirety of the time I use my PC and I still had performance issues in DXHR:DC when I never had them in the vanilla game. If it works for some, though, then that's cool. I seem to have fixed most issues with the registry tweaks and turning off some non-essential graphics options.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Remember the Second Screen stuff being released for Intel processors? Well... http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1957942&postcount=16

epedneault, Eidos Official posted:

No no, it's an Intel website, they talk about requirement based on their own product..

The application's core performance was verified on Intel Processors, but it does install and run on AMDs. You are not locked out of the application if you don't have their silicon.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

You're the best.

Edit: Oh right, I gotta look into that.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 29, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh man, 5 bucks for a director's cut of one of my all-time favorite games? Buying this.

For those who played Deus Ex (I missed it, sadly), does JC Denton use 10mm pistols in that game too? If so I'm thinking it's a holdover from the late 90s-early 2000s expectation of 10mm to become the dominant pistol cartridge. It didn't of course.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Martello posted:

For those who played Deus Ex (I missed it, sadly)

:cmon:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yep, the basic pistol in DX was 10mm too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is there any fix to make the hacking UI not so unresponsive? I've got like half the stop worms that I should have because it keeps thinking that I'm clicking that button when my cursor is clearly over the capture button. Failing that, are there hotkeys other than press space for quick stop?

• Locked thread