Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I was talking with a friend and she theorized that since Shu Takumi wasn't on the writing staff for this game,A lot of AA4 content like Trucy and Apollo being LaMiror's kids and the jury system weren't emphasized as much? There are a lot of plot lines in that game that kinda dropped off the face of the earth in AA5, which makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not a bug. Sometimes the answer is what the witness ISN'T feeling.

In regards to this, I really enjoyed (Spoilers for everything) the Mood Matrix. They did so many different things with it to keep it fresh and then it culminated in that final battle where feelings are just going :supaburn: and you have no idea what to do with the mess. Plus the music for it is boss as all hell.

Pastrymancy posted:

I was talking with a friend and she theorized that since Shu Takumi wasn't on the writing staff for this game,A lot of AA4 content like Trucy and Apollo being LaMiror's kids and the jury system weren't emphasized as much? There are a lot of plot lines in that game that kinda dropped off the face of the earth in AA5, which makes me sad.

Something I really want to know about now is what Kristoph's black locks were all about. The common theory was originally that he was guarding his secret so tightly, he wouldn't have confessed even if Phoenix had evidence to present but thanks to Pearl, now we know they're for a subconsciously guarded secret. What trauma is he suffering besides his own insanity?

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 29, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Something I really want to know about now is what Kristoph's black locks were all about. The common theory was originally that he was guarding his secret so tightly, he wouldn't have confessed even if Phoenix had evidence to present but thanks to Pearl, now we know they're for a subconsciously guarded secret. What trauma is he suffering besides his own insanity?

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. In all likelihood, though, Takumi probably intended it to be something other than the explanation we get in AA5 - so it wouldn't necessarily apply to him. Either way, I like the idea of the black locks being "hidden from yourself" as opposed to "hidden from others". I hope they show up again, but I don't know if they can be used to great effect after their appearance in AA5. That might have been the best way they could use them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

(AA4 Spoiler) I think they took the Jury System out simply because it would not have worked for a full game as opposed to one gimmicky case in AA4. The core of the series is about constantly being given shittier and shittier hands of cards and having to bluff your way to winning the pot. If you have a jury decide on cases, then there's no climax to build to because there's no need to constantly have to have The One Decisive Evidence to counteract every single theory.

As for future games, based on how this game went, I wouldn't be surprised if the franchise focused exclusively on Apollo and Athena going forward, while leaving Phoenix/Edgeworth in the background trying to help you out outside of the courtroom with various tasks. AA5 has kind of a "passing the torch" vibe with Apollo coming into his own, Athena asserting herself as not just another Maya/Kay clone, and Edgeworth passing the baton to Simon and stepping back (Simon practically has an Edgeworthian storyline in the whole arc of this game).

I don't know that we'll see Gumshoe again, because I think they want this to be The New Generation, and I dunno if we'll see Ema again. We didn't get any kind of fingerprint dusting or luminol spraying in this game. We got one 3D item examination in the entire game after AA4 let you examine almost every item in the court record in 3D.

AA6 with Apollo, Athena, and Blackquill as the principal characters, Phoenix, Edgeworth, Pearl and Trucy as supporting characters, and maybe a new detective?

Haha just kidding they'll never make any future games :(

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Alright, I'm not far in and still happily unspoiled, but I just started the second case, and I'm a little disappointed that They've revealed the killer early in both of the cases so far. First case I expected, but not the second. Judging by previous games, that's about half the cases.

Also New Apollo is rad as hell.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Oh man just finished Case 3 Spoilers Ahoy

Man, when I reached Robin's part I pretty much just stalled on it for half an hour going HOLY poo poo CAPCOM IS THIS GOING TO BE LIKE ADRIAN BUT A THOUSAND TIMES WORSE??? And then it turns out to 'just' be parent enforced crossdressing because that totally makes more sense and would definitely have worked for the past however-many years?

Though I kinda liked how happier she seems afterwards. Whenever I saw her sprite on day one the first thing in my mind was "that amount of sweating is not healthy man" and so when she appears noticeably calmer and happier on day 2 it was jut :unsmith:

I gotta say, I really liked High after all things were said and done. The way he was built up and then torn down really worked for me. The friendship thing was a bit hammy, but understandable under the circumstances that certain facts were causing tension and they were probably trying to reaffirm things to themselves.

Also, best breakdown :allears:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I think you're taking the game too seriously. The whole statue thing was meant to be ridiculous for the same of humor. I mean look at it, it's just so off-the-wall it's clearly not meant to be all that serious. I have my issues with Case 3 (DARK AGE OF THE LAAAAAAAAAAAAAW) but Means being the killer and the subsequent breakdown isn't one of them.

I dunno. It kind of crossed the line between suspending my disbelief for a joke and into the "this is so stupid it's unreal." If it was just supposed to be funny, it didn't work for me. :shrug:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I can't believe this is the first game where I actually noticed the Police Department logo. I mean, look at Gant's suit and tie.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Oh man just finished Case 3 Spoilers Ahoy

I gotta say, I really liked High after all things were said and done.
One of my favorite things in the entire series is when (EVERY GAME EVERY CASE) parts of the character sprites/models are important evidence for a case. Acro's wheelchair, Marshall's knife, Hobo Phoenix's camerabutton, O'Conner's one-handed bow drawing (since his other hand was damaged), Means's spear, Manfred's shoulder-holding, Godot's goggles/colorblindness, Athena's earring, I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

nerdbot posted:

I dunno. It kind of crossed the line between suspending my disbelief for a joke and into the "this is so stupid it's unreal." If it was just supposed to be funny, it didn't work for me. :shrug:
I was so disappointed that Blackquill didn't just go "this is dumb" and walk out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

nerdbot posted:

The lawyer cross-examining the parrot never bothered you but the lawyer mimicking a statue did?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The lawyer cross-examining the parrot never bothered you but the lawyer mimicking a statue did?

The parrot made me laugh a lot, but in case 5, interviewing a robot is even funnier.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Just finished the game and I liked case 4/5 the best due to the crazy characters and the robots :allears:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speaking of, it gets hard to take the alleged rivalry between him Phoenix seriously when we hear Phoenix is inviting him to see his adopted daughter's magic shows and he's actually going. :allears:

Hey man, rivals can be friends too! I mean, remember Rocky III--man now I really wish the game had ended like Rocky III. Like, Phoenix and Edgeworth standing in the destroyed court, ready to try another entirely unrelated case for no apparent reason. They say they still have something to settle and start reading off an autopsy report. "You know Phoenix, it's too bad we have to get old." They point at each other dramatically as the game freeze frames, "EYE OF THE TIGEEEER"

But yeah the mental image of Phoenix inviting Edgeworth(and now the judge!) to his daughter's magic show is hilarious and apparently now canon.
:allears:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Suspicious Cook posted:

Kristoph's reasoning was that he killed Zak because Kristoph is "an evil person". However, we all know the real reason is because he was still mad about the poker match. Kristoph probably denied this so vehemently that eventually he simply convinced himself that the murder wasn't about the poker match, and subconsciously, he's tortured by the truth.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't get the obsession this series has gotten for telling stories entirely through flashbacks. None of the first four games did this (T&T had flashback cases, but they were isolated flashbacks, not the entire story being told that way) but AAI and this seem to be all about having one case set in the present, then two or three in a row set in someone's memory. It's really not something I'm fond of.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's the timeline for this game, 2-3-1-4-5?

E: is it direct? Or is there some time between 3 and 1?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So, finished the game earlier that night. Pulled an all nighter on case 5.
Consider my disappointment expressed earlier as retracted, the game is awesome.
It kind of has a slow start, but build toward a conclusion that's equal to T&T's in term of quality.
first case was, well, pretty good as far as tutorials go. Opening with Phoenix as the player character was definitely a good thing, they milked that impression of "He's back :allears:" for all its worth.
Second case was kind of a wash. Playing as Apollo and having him as the experienced lawyer of the relationship was pretty good, so was the setting, but a lot of the characters were either obnoxious, or had anoying animations.
Third case was awesome, with a rather nice misdirection, though Prof Means was a bit too obvious with his "The ends justify the means" speech. I found the friendship stuff not too overbearing, and Klavier was actually pretty good.
Fourth and fifth cases were just awesome. You got backstory for Apollo, pretty good interaction between the cast, Pearl and Edgeworth. Pure fanservice, especially with the bit between Phoenix and Edgeworth? Yes, but that felt really good. Ultimately, it felt like a letter from Capcom saying "Sorry for the mess AA4 was, here's a game that trat its characters right. Phoenix is clearly taking a bit of a supporting role, while Apollo and Athena are the stars of the show. It really felt like the passing of the torch the previous gale should have been, but without cutting out Phoenix.
Blackquill was an interesting prosecutor, and him not dealing with witnesses's gimmicks longer than he needed was pretty good. Again, it feels like AA4 done right: you have a prosecutor that's pretty honest and looking for the truth, but still antagonistic.

e: ^^^Err, most of AA3 is a flashback. Remember that cutscene in the fourth case? It's Phoenix in an hospital bed, reading about Mia's two trials. Presumably, both 3-2 and 3-3 are also reminiscences of his two own fights with Godot, all building toward the final case's second half.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 29, 2013

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Austrian mook posted:

I just started 3 but Athena's preamble made it sounds like it happened directly after 2 and she's remembering it immediately after 1. So 2-3-1 so far.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, pretty much that. 1 actually happens right in the middle of 4. Also the DLC case happens between 2 and 3.

So let me see if I have this straight regarding costumes; are the only ones available the free costume pack and the one you get for clearing the DLC?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Austrian mook posted:

2, 3, day 1 of 4, 1, day 2 of 4 and 5 in the same day, if I remember right.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Quest For Glory II posted:

We got one 3D item examination in the entire game after AA4 let you examine almost every item in the court record in 3D.

Technically, we got two. :v: There was that folding screen in 5-2 and that lighter in 5-5. I'm assuming you get a little more with the latter if you didn't immediately go for the Earth emblem.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Strange Quark posted:

Technically, we got two. :v: There was that folding screen in 5-2 and that lighter in 5-5. I'm assuming you get a little more with the latter if you didn't immediately go for the Earth emblem.

Well not really. You can examine the bloody prints on the lighter again but it doesn't matter too much

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011
At the very end of Case 5:

I got flashbacks to 1-4 when Phoenix started on his "What if he had to take it with him?" train of thought and it confused me for a moment.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
yup. It's funny how this case takes cues from all three GBA final cases: You get the legal time limit and suspicions of patricide over a friend (or matricide here) from 1-4, the hostage situation from 2-4, and a prosecutor doing something wrong to protect a kid, like in 3-5.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

yup. It's funny how this case takes cues from all three GBA final cases: You get the legal time limit and suspicions of patricide over a friend (or matricide here) from 1-4, the hostage situation from 2-4, and a prosecutor doing something wrong to protect a kid, like in 3-5.

That's a good point and I didn't even make the connection on that last one.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Iceclaw posted:

The identity of the real culprit also kind of feels like it's coming from a similar place to the Matt Engarde twist in 2-4.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Case 3
So the mock trial is meant to reasonably simulate how a real trial would go, yes? Juniper is in charge of sound which includes a musical score. Does this mean... could it...

All that dramatic music during trials is REALLY THERE?! FUCKIN AWESOME

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gutcruncher posted:

Case 3
So the mock trial is meant to reasonably simulate how a real trial would go, yes? Juniper is in charge of sound which includes a musical score. Does this mean... could it...

All that dramatic music during trials is REALLY THERE?! FUCKIN AWESOME

Oh it better be. :getin:

poo poo, I'd be a lawyer in Japanifornia. As long as I don't get killed, anyway.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I actually managed to make this game crash by checking the chat log when I was faced with a multiple choice question.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Cyra posted:

I actually managed to make this game crash by checking the chat log when I was faced with a multiple choice question.

Yeah I've heard plenty of horror stories about the game crashing. Makes me feel grateful that I never encountered any crashes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Oh it better be. :getin:

poo poo, I'd be a lawyer in Japanifornia. As long as I don't get killed, anyway.

The judge is a little humble but he's DJing like a fiend under the table.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Just finished Case 2. It's really, really nice to get that one segment of incredible realization with Announce the Truth playing; I've missed this. :buddy:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Barudak posted:

The judge is a little humble but he's DJing like a fiend under the table.

Nothing gets him quite in the mood like remixing some of his old favorites.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Just read the (case 5 spoilers) bad ending where you fail to prove Blackquill innocent...holy poo poo that has to be the most depressing thing in the series. Aura takes all of the hostages, including Trucy, and presumably kills them, Athena leaves the office, Apollo stops smiling, and Phoenix gives up his badge.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Just read the (case 5 spoilers) bad ending where you fail to prove Blackquill innocent...holy poo poo that has to be the most depressing thing in the series. Aura takes all of the hostages, including Trucy, and presumably kills them, Athena leaves the office, Apollo stops smiling, and Phoenix gives up his badge.

Is this triggered by anything in particular, or just by losing the trial normally?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...Holy poo poo, that's a bad ending if there ever was one. Glad I went through things carefully...

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

canoshiz posted:

Is this triggered by anything in particular, or just by losing the trial normally?

You have to run out of life when specifically asked to prove that Blackquill is innocent of killing Dr. Cykes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Can someone clear up the timing of the cases for me real quick? I just started Case 4 and Apollo has his eye bandage. I thought that happened because of his injuries during the bombing right before Case 1 and the pre-chapter narration said that this was the case that was going on right before the bombing in the courtroom. Was this a previous injury or did I miss something here?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Artix posted:

Can someone clear up the timing of the cases for me real quick? I just started Case 4 and Apollo has his eye bandage. I thought that happened because of his injuries during the bombing right before Case 1 and the pre-chapter narration said that this was the case that was going on right before the bombing in the courtroom. Was this a previous injury or did I miss something here?

It will be explained in due time.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Don't worry, it gets explained later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artix posted:

If you haven't finished case 5 its explained at the end of it.

If you have he wears the sty before the bombing because his eye keeps freaking out when he looks at Athena and her experience with the space center and he doesn't want to get distracted

• Locked thread