Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hooah posted:

I think he just wants to charge the phone while doing AirDroid-y stuff.
He's tethering the computer to the phone. There's no WiFi to use AirDroid properly unless he uses his phone as a mobile hotspot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
That's exactly it. Thanks anyway.

I guess I am back to MyPhoneExplorer, though I liked the idea of AirDroid providing a way for me to text people if I forgot my phone at home or something. Also MyPhoneExplorer 50% of the time gives off a "cannot connect to your device" error when connected over WiFi. :shrug:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why don't you just do the stuff over USB using the connectivity that is built into the phone? MTP or whatever Samsung are using. ADB if it's more complicate stuff.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hooah posted:

I think he just wants to charge the phone while doing AirDroid-y stuff.

You can do that though? It's an over-the-air management app so it doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Melmac posted:

That's exactly it. Thanks anyway.

I guess I am back to MyPhoneExplorer, though I liked the idea of AirDroid providing a way for me to text people if I forgot my phone at home or something. Also MyPhoneExplorer 50% of the time gives off a "cannot connect to your device" error when connected over WiFi. :shrug:

I think people just found it odd that you are trying to do essentially the opposite of what the app was designed for in a sense.

But anyway, as far as texting goes, you can use MightyText.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
How do you change the Quick Toggles on a Droid Maxx? I thought I went through everything in the settings but I cant seem to find it. And my google-fu just brings up apps to use instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

deong posted:

How do you change the Quick Toggles on a Droid Maxx? I thought I went through everything in the settings but I cant seem to find it. And my google-fu just brings up apps to use instead.

You don't. It basically uses the stock launcher which doesn't have the ability to change them.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

You don't. It basically uses the stock launcher which doesn't have the ability to change them.

drat. That's dumb. Since you mention the launcher, I assume nova doesn't fix it either?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

deong posted:

Less fun answer: root it, install the Xposed framework, and install GravityBox. I'm on the Maxx and I don't even really need a custom rom now because of how great Xposed is.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

gucci mangosteen posted:

Less fun answer: root it, install the Xposed framework, and install GravityBox. I'm on the Maxx and I don't even really need a custom rom now because of how great Xposed is.

Unfortunately its a work device and they monitor for root. I've been on CM for the past uh.. years.. so it is taking some getting used to running straight stock on a phone. But, they pay my phone bill so I'll suck it up.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Did Out of Milk stop syncing between accounts for anyone else in the last couple months? Our list still shows up as shared, but changes aren't being synced, both in Android and in the browser. I can't figure it out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any apps that let you convert timezones as quickly and easily as http://everytimezone.com/ ? Although that site itself is a little limited since it only covers up to yesterday and tomorrow when I'm trying to forecast times a week ahead.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Did Out of Milk stop syncing between accounts for anyone else in the last couple months? Our list still shows up as shared, but changes aren't being synced, both in Android and in the browser. I can't figure it out.

My wife added some stuff from her iPhone a couple day ago and it popped up on mine. However, her adding stuff is very rare, so there might still be a problem with intermittent non-syncing.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gucci mangosteen posted:

I haven't been paying attention to the root side of things with my Droid Maxx as there is very little that I would change about it, aside from root access for certain apps. How big of a pain in the rear end is it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Of course the new Facebook Messenger update has to look like an iOS7 app... :sigh:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I'm on a stock Google nexus 4. How do I get the text swiping to register curse words? What the duck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I'm on a stock Google nexus 4. How do I get the text swiping to register curse words? What the duck.

I think you have to manually type it in the first time and then add it to the dictionary.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

I think you have to manually type it in the first time and then add it to the dictionary.

I feel like I've added them all to the dictionary but it still makes me manually type them every time. Won't even acknowledge "sex" or "fart," and I use them in like every other text because I'm an adult. Do I have to get creative with apps?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I feel like I've added them all to the dictionary but it still makes me manually type them every time. Won't even acknowledge "sex" or "fart," and I use them in like every other text because I'm an adult. Do I have to get creative with apps?

I think there is an option buried in the settings to suppress bad language...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Curses have to be added manually. Google Keyboard Settings->Personal dictionary and hit the + at the bottom to add all of your shits, fucks and asses.

e: There's also a "Block offensive words" option you should disable.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Curses have to be added manually. Google Keyboard Settings->Personal dictionary and hit the + at the bottom to add all of your shits, fucks and asses.

poo poo gently caress! That did it! Thanks for the help, folks. rear end.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Lazy_Liberal posted:

poo poo gently caress! That did it! Thanks for the help, folks. rear end.

This is the worst part of a hard reset of my devices these days. I haven't tested swype's dictionary sync yet but I was pretty excited when I saw it added as a feature.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there a way in maps (navigation, I guess) to change what route you're on? I'm talking like a "detour" option, I guess. I know when you type in where you want to go a lot of times it gives you options of routes. I'm talking about being able to change on the fly. I was driving today and there was a construction backup. I was right by an exit that I know would have eventually led me to where I wanted to go but I had no idea how. I also know you can just start to take a different route and it will reroute, but I've done it a few times and for a while it just tells me to make u-turns to go back to my previous route.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

gucci mangosteen posted:

This is perfect, thank you.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Rooting the Maxx is retard-proof in that it's just an APK you run once and you're rooted, but it replaces your factory recovery with something else so you can't just factory reset to go back to stock. Instead you have to reflash the stock firmware which isn't a giant pain in the rear end if you know what you're doing, but a little tedious if you don't.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

myron cope posted:

Is there a way in maps (navigation, I guess) to change what route you're on? I'm talking like a "detour" option, I guess.
Waze does this, I think. I know some of the traffic/accident reporting now gets pulled into Google Maps, but Google has said the apps will be kept separate for now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

beerinator posted:

I haven't tested swype's dictionary sync yet but I was pretty excited when I saw it added as a feature.

It's very good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

beerinator posted:

This is the worst part of a hard reset of my devices these days. I haven't tested swype's dictionary sync yet but I was pretty excited when I saw it added as a feature.
Not once has it ever worked for me.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's very good.
Not once out of maybe five attempts.

One thing it's good at is syncing my new, pristine dictionary to the cloud overwriting the one I built over months of use. In fact, it's never failed to sync over the dictionary I wanted with the one I didn't. I'm certain when I get my Nexus 5 I'll be readding everything yet again.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Sorry yours is broken I guess. You could try emailing them or something, they were pretty responsive on their forums during beta. Pulls mine down no problem and it pulled it down when I bought my 7 too. :shrug:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

gucci mangosteen posted:

Thanks for recommending this; it's fantastic. I can finally have separate sliders for ringtone and text message volume. So dumb that Android defaults that my phone on super low will still ring text messages super loud.

The only very odd thing I have noticed with Xposed/GravityBox is my WiFi icon on the top bounces around. It's a spergy thing to complain about, but it looks like WiFi tries to do some stupid "receiving data" animation, and one of the frames is completely off. It's stupid, and odd, and not a big deal but it triggers the :spergin: .

Other than that small oddity/gripe the thing is totally fantastic and I want to say thanks again for recommending it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They really missed a trick not making it a toggle switch labeled "@#$% You."

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

One thing it's good at is syncing my new, pristine dictionary to the cloud overwriting the one I built over months of use. In fact, it's never failed to sync over the dictionary I wanted with the one I didn't. I'm certain when I get my Nexus 5 I'll be readding everything yet again.

Really? Between 2 phones and a tablet, never an issue. It's awesome that my dictionary gets pulled down. It just works (tm)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Quick recommendation for scanning & storing store member card barcodes and the like?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Quick recommendation for scanning & storing store member card barcodes and the like?

Keyring
Works well for most. You may need to bump the brightness all the way up though.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.froogloid.kring.google.zxing.client.android&hl=en

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LastInLine posted:

I had the same problem. It just takes a while. I waited maybe one or two days and suddenly my dictionary appeared. Syncing manually did nothing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bronin posted:

I had the same problem. It just takes a while. I waited maybe one or two days and suddenly my dictionary appeared. Syncing manually did nothing.
This I believe. I've never actually waited longer than a second or two.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
This is half-way a question for another thread, but does anyone have any experience with a "smart" digital camera that can send shots to an android phone?

I know some Samsung cameras have this ability and here's the app that their technology uses:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsungimaging.connectionmanager

Basically, I want a digital camera where I can select photos and send them straight to my phone. The hope is that I could do this even without wifi, through some sort of magical camera to phone connection. It appears that Samsung cameras have a direct link, but I want to make sure it works before buying anything. And I have a feeling that the guys at my local Best Buy will not have much experience using this option.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

beerinator posted:

It appears that Samsung cameras have a direct link, but I want to make sure it works before buying anything.
Looks like the Samsung cameras use WiFi direct, which I guess is what most of them use, as it's much faster than Bluetooth.

You'll have to look at the cameras themselves for support or get something like this.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

beerinator posted:

Basically, I want a digital camera where I can select photos and send them straight to my phone.

I saw a boxed one of these http://www.eye.fi/products/mobi on a guy's desk at work one time, sounds pretty awesome. SD card with a wifi hotspot built in that you can access from a pc or phone app. Would make any camera wifi capable. I don't know how it works at all really, have not read about it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Staged rollout of the G+ app that includes yesterday's event features has started. Grab it here if you don't want to wait.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3WhcJYCm2Q9MW94VFY4NFF3U0U/edit?usp=sharing

• Locked thread