Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Food Guy posted:

I have another story I have been trying to remember. It is an old sci fi story, probably published in the 70-80s. I'm pretty sure the cover had a person and a insectoid alien on it. If I can remember correctly, a party from a space ship found a small alien baby through some means and decided to, I think, keep it under observations or something.

70s - 80s old sci-fi story with insectoid aliens makes me think of Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth series. Nor Crystal Tears is the only one I can think of with an appropriate cover, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Food Guy posted:

Okay I've posted this a couple of times now, but I still haven't found it and I think I remember some more details. There is a series of books, I know I have read two of them probably about 7-8 years ago but I don't know if there is anymore to the series. I'm fairly certain the author is a woman.

The basic gist is that there is a society that has been completely cut off from the outside world. There are two types of people, people who have abilities and those that don't. The people that have abilities are pretty much treater like dirt, if I remember correctly, and I am pretty sure that they are segregated. The main character is a teen boy, and he lives with his mother, twin sibilings who are you and I think start to manifest the ability to float or something, his grandmother (I think), and I can't exactly remember what the situation with his father is, he may still be around. He meets a girl who has a flying carpet and, I think, communicates with his sometimes using a wind up scarab, and she also has an ability.

During either the first or second book the boy is given a hat that gives him the ability to change his appearance and he uses this to his advantage a couple of times. At one point in one of the books, there is a like Summer or Winter festival, where everybody gets into the spirit and wears costumes that are pretty much enchanted or something. In one of the books, one of the major plot points is that a couple of people from the outside have made it into the society, and I think want to go back and tell people about it. I remember at one point there were tiny little people who made a living, I think, as like wedding cake decorations, tiny little models that sort of thing. I swear there is plot point involved with a broken clock inside of an old puppet theatre and there is a statue missing from said clock which is a really bad thing for reasons.

EDIT: Looking back, turns out I haven't actually really thought of any new details. But I have been searching for a really long time to try and find this book.

I have another story I have been trying to remember. It is an old sci fi story, probably published in the 70-80s. I'm pretty sure the cover had a person and a insectoid alien on it. If I can remember correctly, a party from a space ship found a small alien baby through some means and decided to, I think, keep it under observations or something.

Some of your descriptions reminded me of a trilogy of books called Five Children and It. It's a very long shot as it doesn't cover everything.

The Five Children and It

No recollection of what the authors name could be or what the cover looked like?

hambeet fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 29, 2013

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I got a short story I've been trying to find again. Problem is, I can't remember details and I think it was part of a compilation. What I do remember is a sort if explorers club that meets every so many years and they eat rare/exotic/endangered species. The last one they eat is some sort of mythical creature-- a Phoenix or something? I think I remember them burning.

Google has not helped me out. If this turns out to be Neil Gaiman or something, I might lose my poo poo.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

foxatee posted:

I got a short story I've been trying to find again. Problem is, I can't remember details and I think it was part of a compilation. What I do remember is a sort if explorers club that meets every so many years and they eat rare/exotic/endangered species. The last one they eat is some sort of mythical creature-- a Phoenix or something? I think I remember them burning.

Google has not helped me out. If this turns out to be Neil Gaiman or something, I might lose my poo poo.

If it was anytime recently, the compilation was probably Unnatural Creatures a collection of stories put together by Neil Gaiman. And the one you refer to is Sunbird by Gaiman himself.

Sooooo, I guess lose your poo poo?

bookblog posted:

“Sunbird” by Neil Gaiman is the story of the Epicurean Club, the members of which have just about run out of strange and exotic creatures to eat… except the mythical Sunbird.
Quote taken from HERE

ETA: Also included in this book is "The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees" by E. Lily Yu which is a wonderful read if anyone's looking for a good short story.

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 1, 2013

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Glob dammit, I knew it was going to be Neil Gaiman! I tried to look it up, but Google kept talking about that stupid Dallas safari club thing. That is the story, though. Glob, I suck. Thank you!

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Looking for an ID on a book that I read maybe 20-25 years ago, when I was a teen.

The main thing I remember about the book was that it was on a colony planet. Something about the planet made all children of the colonists infertile. Perhaps spores? A fungus? No idea.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
I've got two snippets of books that this might be the place for.
They may be the same book. Hell if I know. I was a smalll shrimp when my mom started giving me adult level reading material. Both/either predate the mid-90s.

1) A young man who has something to do with a magician is trying to get through a maze. He finds grey people living in the maze, with grey fruit that they live on. He's been using chalk to keep track of the maze. He tries to get up on a wall to get his bearings.

2) A young man has shoes that help him float a few feet above the ground. Problem is, he's trying to cross a chasm and will splat just as much from a 95 foot fall as a 100 foot one.

junopsis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 12, 2013

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Veinless posted:

Looking for an ID on a book that I read maybe 20-25 years ago, when I was a teen.

The main thing I remember about the book was that it was on a colony planet. Something about the planet made all children of the colonists infertile. Perhaps spores? A fungus? No idea.

Sleepers, Wake by Paul Samuel Jacobs contains those things, plus a 40 year old manchild who was accidentally woken up at 10 years old from suspended animation on a spaceship and raised by the ship's computer for 30 years if that rings a bell.

I asked about that same exact book in this thread way back when.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm thinking of a short story about a murder where the inept murderer forgot to wear gloves and in the panic can't remember what the caddish victim made him touch so he's found 12 hours later polishing all of the books in the library they're sitting in. It really bugs me that I can't remember who wrote it. It sounds Poe-ish but I don't think it was him.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm thinking of a short story about a murder where the inept murderer forgot to wear gloves and in the panic can't remember what the caddish victim made him touch so he's found 12 hours later polishing all of the books in the library they're sitting in. It really bugs me that I can't remember who wrote it. It sounds Poe-ish but I don't think it was him.

Not to mention Poe was writing 50 years before fingerprints were used to solve crimes.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I have been trying to remember the name of a children's book I remember from 4th grade (which was 20 years ago, but the book might be older for all I know). I don't even remember it fondly, but thinking back on the themes make me very curious about it.

It's about a sister (the protagonist) and brother who are both very frail and sick. Before the brother dies, he says, "I'm off to Nangelena, don't worry." (That spelling is phonetic, the book was read to class, which now seems weird for the 4th grade, but v:shobon:v ) He dies, and in the coming months, the sister dies as well, leaving a similar note for her mother. She awakens in some other world, explores the society for a bit, and is accosted by the local constabulary. She lies and says she's lost and she's here with her grandfather and he lives at a little white house. They take her around, and she's terrified she'll get caught, but happens across an old man sitting outside a white house. She runs to him and whispers, "please pretend you're my grandfather." For whatever reason, he goes along with it, saving her from punishment. My memory gets fuzzy there, but the old man knows someone who knows her brother, they do something against the resident power, succeed in their goals, but are cornered in their final escape. They're at a cliff, surrounded, and her brother says, "It's okay, we're off to" some place I don't remember the name of. So they jump off the cliff and it ends with her saying, "Yes, I see it... I see it..."

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Got to be The Brothers Lionheart, even though that's 2 boys.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
That's it. The wiki article allays some of my latter-days confusion as it straight up says the themes were "unusually dark and heavy for the children's book genre."

Thank you very much.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Here, this one's impossible.

So, mid 80s. CYOA style books, but longer then typical Which Way Adventures / CYOA and written for / marketed to a young adult crowd -- 12-15, say. Probably at least twice the length of a typical CYOA book, maybe 3 times the length. I think it was a series of 3 or 4, though I only ever read one. And I think there was a recurring character, maybe a talking rabbit?
It was recommended to me as an ~11 or 12 year old by the late teens / early 20s bookstore clerk. And I think they were light fantasy / magical realism in theme, but they may have been high fantasy.

That's all I have!

Nostri
Sep 1, 2006
So here are two that I hope the collective can identify:

First is about a kid/teen (I think a girl) who is given a present by her far travelling uncle (or maybe older brother?). The gift is a box and its given with one condition- she can't open it or look inside. I think he tells her he'd show her what was inside when he got back because he had to leave in a hurry but I mightbe making that bit up. She of course does and these weird but harmless seeming mechanical spider/crab things come out. They build something in her basement (a city I think?) and things go wrong and she freaks out, etc. I swear the title was "The Box" or "The Cube" or something but neither search turns anything up so I have no clue. I know I read it when I was in middle school so late '90s or early '00s.

The next is a short story about a guy who is working on a team to build a better radio so the Russians (I think, might have been just the Commies or maybe the Koreans?) couldn't listen in. They somehow bounce the signal off or around the sun and he ends up talking to this Buddist monk something like a thousand years in the past instead of the other team working on the project. It turns out he's actually talking to an alternate reality version of Genghis Khan who got orphaned and found by monks instead of practically taking over the world. When he explains it to the monk he runs off to become Genghis Khan too and then the sun goes out of alignment and he can't reach the monk anymore. Also I swear there was another guy on our side that did nothing but be a generic techy character and smoke cigerettes and drink coffee. I read it in an old issue of Playboy from the '70s or '80s.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011

Nostri posted:

First is about a kid/teen (I think a girl) who is given a present by her far travelling uncle (or maybe older brother?). The gift is a box and its given with one condition- she can't open it or look inside. I think he tells her he'd show her what was inside when he got back because he had to leave in a hurry but I mightbe making that bit up. She of course does and these weird but harmless seeming mechanical spider/crab things come out. They build something in her basement (a city I think?) and things go wrong and she freaks out, etc. I swear the title was "The Box" or "The Cube" or something but neither search turns anything up so I have no clue. I know I read it when I was in middle school so late '90s or early '00s.

This sounds like the novel The Boxes by William Sleator.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I read this in the UK in 2006. There were men (i think they were human) who could fly. There were insects who were coming to take over the world, and something about a sort of escalator that the main character saw in a dream. The insects were going up the sort of escalator. It was a paperback with a mostly white cover.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Trying to find a scifi short story I read quite a while ago, I'm pretty sure it was in one of those Gardner Dozois Year's Best anthologies

The story takes place on Earth. There was a Ring built around the planet that most of humanity had lived on but then they had disappeared in some type of singularity event (I think?). Anyways there are a few people left behind on earth and the main character is a teenaged girl who is part of 'creche.' I remember it being like a sibling group that all live together and might have some limited telepathy? I know that each of the kids had a little ability, the only one that I remember is that one of them never missed when throwing rocks. Anyway, the main girl meets this older guy who says that he was on the Ring and has a way to get back and my memory gets fuzzy from there, but I think in the end he was lying or something.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

regulargonzalez posted:

Here, this one's impossible.

So, mid 80s. CYOA style books, but longer then typical Which Way Adventures / CYOA and written for / marketed to a young adult crowd -- 12-15, say. Probably at least twice the length of a typical CYOA book, maybe 3 times the length. I think it was a series of 3 or 4, though I only ever read one. And I think there was a recurring character, maybe a talking rabbit?
It was recommended to me as an ~11 or 12 year old by the late teens / early 20s bookstore clerk. And I think they were light fantasy / magical realism in theme, but they may have been high fantasy.

That's all I have!

Could it have been one of these?

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Trying to find a scifi short story I read quite a while ago, I'm pretty sure it was in one of those Gardner Dozois Year's Best anthologies

The story takes place on Earth. There was a Ring built around the planet that most of humanity had lived on but then they had disappeared in some type of singularity event (I think?). Anyways there are a few people left behind on earth and the main character is a teenaged girl who is part of 'creche.' I remember it being like a sibling group that all live together and might have some limited telepathy? I know that each of the kids had a little ability, the only one that I remember is that one of them never missed when throwing rocks. Anyway, the main girl meets this older guy who says that he was on the Ring and has a way to get back and my memory gets fuzzy from there, but I think in the end he was lying or something.

This one, perhaps?

Zola fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 28, 2013

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

John Cenas Jorts posted:

I think this is a story by Peter Hamilton, written in the same universe as Olympos and Illium. There were a few of them over the years.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Total long shot here; novel, average length (300 pages plus change), divided into 3 segments, looked to be 1970's print, back-cover copy had quotations like "one of the few novels in the current generation that will outlast it", translated from (probably) Russian, plot possibly about a dissident under house arrest, first chapter opens with quotation similar to "it is impossible to rule without guilt." NOT by Solzhenitsyn.
I gave a copy of it the once-over in a second-hand book stall before remembering that I've got a book of short stories about the holocaust back at home and now it's tormenting me.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think this is a story by Peter Hamilton, written in the same universe as Olympos and Illium. There were a few of them over the years.

If it is, it's not the one in "New Space Opera" that Zola suggested tho.

ETA: and looking up Olympos/Ilium, it doesn't look anything like that story. Asker's probably best off heading to a library and digging through Dozois best-ofs.

fritz fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 29, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Zola posted:

Could it have been one of these?

Thanks, but no. I'm as certain as I can be that it wasn't CYOA (or Which Way Books) branded.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Total long shot here; novel, average length (300 pages plus change), divided into 3 segments, looked to be 1970's print, back-cover copy had quotations like "one of the few novels in the current generation that will outlast it", translated from (probably) Russian, plot possibly about a dissident under house arrest, first chapter opens with quotation similar to "it is impossible to rule without guilt." NOT by Solzhenitsyn.
I gave a copy of it the once-over in a second-hand book stall before remembering that I've got a book of short stories about the holocaust back at home and now it's tormenting me.

Long shot question, long shot answer: Invitation to a Beheading?

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Another longshot: The Trial?

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
This is for a friend. It's a book of scary stories for kids (young adults maybe?). Apparently, "it had two notable stories. One about a traveller who is invited by a little man to stay in his hut. The little man keeps asking him to put another log on the fire. In the end he refuses and the cabin and man disappears and he's standing on the edge of a cliff. If he'd reached for the last log he would have fallen to his death. The other is about the moon coming to earth in human form to save travelers from monsters on a road. In the end the monsters eat the moon. It also has a story about Black Annis and has her on the cover."

Anybody? Thanks.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
I'm trying to remember the name of a fantasy novel(?) that I started reading and never finished. I think it was pretty well known but I don't remember much about it... all I remember is that there was a city (or a country?) that some wizard had cast a curse over and removed from the memories of everyone. Nobody knew the country had ever existed and even the name of the place was forgotten... then I remember some dramatic scene where the main character remembers the name somehow and by remembering the name it unlocked all the memories of the place and its history and how it had been wiped out. Can anyone help please?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bouncyman posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a fantasy novel(?) that I started reading and never finished. I think it was pretty well known but I don't remember much about it... all I remember is that there was a city (or a country?) that some wizard had cast a curse over and removed from the memories of everyone. Nobody knew the country had ever existed and even the name of the place was forgotten... then I remember some dramatic scene where the main character remembers the name somehow and by remembering the name it unlocked all the memories of the place and its history and how it had been wiped out. Can anyone help please?

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. One of my favorite authors, check out his other books too. (Avoid the Fionavar series.)

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I don't know if I can be helped. I have a memory of a story, possibly YA Fantasy. The only thing I can recall at all is that when the main character was an infant small bugs and things came to him to die and as he got older in his childhood the creatures that came to him to die got progressively larger.

He wasn't killing them, mind. When a nearby creature was going to die it just found its way to the kid first.

Ring any bells?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is this NOT "the gulag archipelago?"

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

John Cenas Jorts posted:

This feels much like the novella engine summer by john Crowley. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_Summer

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I remember reading a summary of some book a while back about Russian scientists during the cold war or WWII who were working in some underground lab researching either people with superpowers or magic. It was supposed to be a dark comedy. It might have been originally written in Russian, and I think it was written a few decades ago. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Transistor Rhythm posted:

This feels much like the novella engine summer by john Crowley. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_Summer

Not it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Odd question: Was there a bit in the sewers with a "witch"? Did they live on the Street, capital S?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Splicer posted:

Odd question: Was there a bit in the sewers with a "witch"? Did they live on the Street, capital S?
Pretty sure I remember these facts:
* The creche of kids was a starship crew in training
* They had enhanced senses and could communicate through pheromones
* The older dude kidnapped the narrator and did some kind of mind-control thing so that, IIRC, she could take him up the space elevator or something
* The pheromone thing turned out to be plot-critical at the end because it was the one mode of communication that the kidnapper's mind control thing didn't squash

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Splicer posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer to the first is No, but I have no idea about the second

fritz posted:

Pretty sure I remember these facts:
* The creche of kids was a starship crew in training
* They had enhanced senses and could communicate through pheromones
* The older dude kidnapped the narrator and did some kind of mind-control thing so that, IIRC, she could take him up the space elevator or something
* The pheromone thing turned out to be plot-critical at the end because it was the one mode of communication that the kidnapper's mind control thing didn't squash

All of this def sounds like it could be what I'm looking for? The snapping out of it element definitely seems right. Again, again my strongest memory of the story was that there was the existence of the Ring. I don't even remember what made me think of it at this point, but now I've got to find the damned thing. I'm going to try to dig through a bunch of collections at the library some time this week to see if I find it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My friend asked me about a book I know I read, and he can't remember it either, and it's driving us both insane.

It's an airport fictiony book.

It has something to do with nanotech or something really close to it, and it has to do with gold.

We both remember a scene where they are testing a golden cross in a lab, and the bad guys break in, and it turns out the golden cross is what they are looking for.

I thought it might have been Temple by Matt Reilly but after a quick glance it doesn't seem to be the case.

Timeline for having read it is the last 20 years or so. Doesn't narrow it down much, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written before 95.

Edit - He just called. It's Excavation by James Rollins.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 10, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My friend asked me about a book I know I read, and he can't remember it either, and it's driving us both insane.

It's an airport fictiony book.

It has something to do with nanotech or something really close to it, and it has to do with gold.

We both remember a scene where they are testing a golden cross in a lab, and the bad guys break in, and it turns out the golden cross is what they are looking for.

I thought it might have been Temple by Matt Reilly but after a quick glance it doesn't seem to be the case.

Timeline for having read it is the last 20 years or so. Doesn't narrow it down much, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written before 95.

Edit - He just called. It's Excavation by James Rollins.

If you like that genre you should drop by this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3282164

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I think that this might be the best place to ask this. I need help finding a quotation about novels or writing, and it's something like "the definition of a novel is an imperfect thing sent out into the world". Does that sound familiar to any of you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Teach posted:

I think that this might be the best place to ask this. I need help finding a quotation about novels or writing, and it's something like "the definition of a novel is an imperfect thing sent out into the world". Does that sound familiar to any of you?

I think this is the one you are thinking about :

quote:

A book is sent out into the world, and there is no way of fully anticipating the responses it will elicit. Consider the responses called forth by the Bible, Homer, Shakespeare - let alone contemporary poetry or a modern novel. Chaim Potok
Source