Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

New Sons of Abraham diary.

Looks good, and some quick mention of changes to Islam, but no mention of any changes to Decadence. I guess they're happy with it? :smith:

Hey an Orthodox holy order, cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
So the Cathars can have female bishops, and heresies can supplant their parent religion, could this mean we might possibly get She-popes?

Also, I love the reworking of the holy orders, particularly one delicious potential gently caress You to the player. "Hey, buddy! You like God, right? How about doing us a solid and letting your son join us in the good fight? No, not the drunkard, the other one, y'know, the genius Grey Eminence you've been grooming as your heir for the last two decades."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This could maybe be a big change as well:

quote:

Last week I told you about the College of Cardinals and the new papal powers (though I believe I forgot to mention that the Pope can also grant you claims on counties and duchies!)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

New Sons of Abraham diary.

Looks good, and some quick mention of changes to Islam, but no mention of any changes to Decadence. I guess they're happy with it? :smith:

Huh, monks and nuns! Finally, you can follow through on your threat to send someone off to take the vows.

It might be kind of neat if sending someone off to become a monk/nun was weaker (downgrades claim strength one level?) or more temporary (lasts 10 years, or life of current ruler?) for orthodox rulers. From my memory of Byzantine history (and old Harry Turtledove novels), people 'gotten rid of' by sending them to a monastery had a nasty tendency to pop back up again... that's not critical, though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zoinker posted:

So the Cathars can have female bishops, and heresies can supplant their parent religion, could this mean we might possibly get She-popes?

Also, I love the reworking of the holy orders, particularly one delicious potential gently caress You to the player. "Hey, buddy! You like God, right? How about doing us a solid and letting your son join us in the good fight? No, not the drunkard, the other one, y'know, the genius Grey Eminence you've been grooming as your heir for the last two decades."

Eh the Cathars weren't really into the whole centralised church authority thing, if I remember right they didn't have any perfecti more senior than bishops. So a Cathar pope doesnt make much sense.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Goddamn, this is going to be a good expansion. Everything announced about it so far sounds really exciting. The fact that Holy Orders are now more than just fancy mercs is probably my favorite so far, making them a faction in their own right will go a long way towards making Crusades a lot cooler and more dynamic.

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013
Just please remove the hardcoding on interfaith marriages so we can mod it. That's all I want to read about from the upcoming DLC/patch.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I still wish decadence would be changed somewhat, as it is it's way too apocalyptic to the players/pointless to the AI.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I hope they do something to restrict one person hiring multiple holy orders. Along with decadence making it hard to play a Muslim, I find it impossible to deal with any christian hiring all three orders any time I declare war on them.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I still wish decadence would be changed somewhat, as it is it's way too apocalyptic to the players/pointless to the AI.

Idea for reworked decadence: what if high decadence caused a prestige reduction on all vassals, and family vassals had the ability to start a "reduce decadence" faction. A "reduce decadence" civil war would result in the faction leader becoming the new liege, and he would found a new royal house, which all the faction members would switch to (assuming they were of the old ruling dynasty).

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Rumda posted:

You know I may have to get some people together and redo the Cathar France game again come SoA

Catharia will rise again!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Since the modder threw a hissy fit and took down his download links, could anyone please upload the latest version of NBRT+ (the pretty border graphics mod)?

I have the 0.7 version, but I'm pretty sure it's not the latest one (my CK2 is frozen to 1.103 until I finish the current game, after which I will want to update though). The files in it are from the end of June.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

marktheando posted:

Eh the Cathars weren't really into the whole centralised church authority thing, if I remember right they didn't have any perfecti more senior than bishops. So a Cathar pope doesnt make much sense.

In game mechanics it should work though. Heresies can supplant the "vanilla" version of the religion.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rumda posted:

You know I may have to get some people together and redo the Cathar France game again come SoA
Don't let me be emperor again. The paranoia I got as you gradually blobbed more and more and starting talking about an Occitan Empire or whatever were making me go a little nuts.

NihilCredo posted:

Since the modder threw a hissy fit and took down his download links, could anyone please upload the latest version of NBRT+ (the pretty border graphics mod)?

I have the 0.7 version, but I'm pretty sure it's not the latest one (my CK2 is frozen to 1.103 until I finish the current game, after which I will want to update though). The files in it are from the end of June.
What's the difference between later versions, anyways? I still have v.0.5, and all it does it make the borders look a little neater and works just fine with current CK2+ and all that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

In game mechanics it should work though. Heresies can supplant the "vanilla" version of the religion.

From the sound of it, it's not that Cathar would somehow become the true Catholic church, but some kind of tag switching would occur where Cathar becomes tagged as "true faith" and Catholicism becomes tagged as "heresy". So if the Cathar heresy has no religious head, then the Cathar true faith shouldn't either.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Ah right good point. That's why you have to stamp it out :getin:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PleasingFungus posted:

Huh, monks and nuns! Finally, you can follow through on your threat to send someone off to take the vows.

It might be kind of neat if sending someone off to become a monk/nun was weaker (downgrades claim strength one level?) or more temporary (lasts 10 years, or life of current ruler?) for orthodox rulers. From my memory of Byzantine history (and old Harry Turtledove novels), people 'gotten rid of' by sending them to a monastery had a nasty tendency to pop back up again... that's not critical, though.

It'd also be cool if your family decided to join a monastery/convent on their own, a la Thomas Aquinas, and you'd have to decide whether to let them go or force them to stay.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mickey McKey posted:

I hope they do something to restrict one person hiring multiple holy orders. Along with decadence making it hard to play a Muslim, I find it impossible to deal with any christian hiring all three orders any time I declare war on them.

Mercenaries are restricted based on your capital's location, while holy orders currently are not. I would imagine that, with the emphasis on holy orders being localized, that they will also get mercenary-style limitations on hiring.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Being able to hire them if they're nearby might be a good reason to give them a castle on your lands.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there any way to change the county capital?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You can change the capital from one type to another, like Castle to City.

Can't swap same type, though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you hold the county capital, I think giving it to any of the other barons in the county makes their holding the new capital. This is how you get Grand Cities and Bishoprics.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Grant the county level title to the owner of the barony, bishopric or town you want to be the new capital.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

NihilCredo posted:

The latest version was 0.7 and it changed the checksum (no idea why). Here is a link to the last version that works fine and does not alter the checksum, 0.6 Beta:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzju1DpQRq04bU1vdERHZFc1bms/edit?usp=sharing

Omar_Comin fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 30, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Omar_Comin posted:

The latest version was 0.7 and it changed the checksum (no idea why). Here is a link to the last version that works fine and does not alter the checksum, 0.6 Beta:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzju1DpQRq04bU1vdERHZFc1bms/edit?usp=sharing
Well, thanks. Changing the checksum isn't a problem for me in CK2 since there's no ironman/achievements yet. Here's v0.7 in case anyone needs it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/despan

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the problem is that it's your county and the capital is the wrong holding type, revoke a barony (castle), which should automatically become the new capital once you hold it personally.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

NihilCredo posted:

Changing the checksum isn't a problem for me in CK2 since there's no ironman/achievements yet.
I don't use the 0.7 version so I can still do multi-player with the mod active.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dickensian Aspect posted:

If the problem is that it's your county and the capital is the wrong holding type, revoke a barony (castle), which should automatically become the new capital once you hold it personally.

Alternately, if you hold the county title, grant it to a baron in that county. He will designate his castle as the new capital for you.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I wonder if there are any mods for CK2 that make the mongol invasion basically work more like subjugation than the invasion cb, so that they basically end up with huge empires that still have the native lords for the most part.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Cathars, are their little misadventures in France in-game? Starting as a Cathar noble there would be pretty challenging.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Heck yeah, if anything gets me to do another Crusader Kings LP it's this expansion.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Thanqol posted:

Heck yeah, if anything gets me to do another Crusader Kings LP it's this expansion.

Hopefully with a EU4 conversion. ;)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
There's no Germanic paganism in the game, is there? I'm pretty sure parts of Saxony would've still been un-Christianised by the time of the Old Gods start date. Or is that all pretty much under the umbrella of Norse paganism?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Boing posted:

There's no Germanic paganism in the game, is there? I'm pretty sure parts of Saxony would've still been un-Christianised by the time of the Old Gods start date. Or is that all pretty much under the umbrella of Norse paganism?

Pretty sure that parts of modern day northeastern Germany start off as Pomeranian/Slavic pagan.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Allyn posted:

Pretty sure that parts of modern day northeastern Germany start off as Pomeranian/Slavic pagan.

Yep!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ofaloaf posted:

Don't let me be emperor again. The paranoia I got as you gradually blobbed more and more and starting talking about an Occitan Empire or whatever were making me go a little nuts.

My personal highlights from that game were the disputes over who would have Dauphine and Averngue, Toulouse-Burgundy or me to link my Occitan and alpine dominions, and you swiching to elective succession after a most of a bottle of whiskey.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Haha I never had an event like this come up, pretty cool that they actually accounted for a scenario like this.
Basically I ransomed the prisoner but it seems at some point between when I demanded the ransom and he agreed the event where your prisoner complains about conditions fired off but it wasnt brought to my attention until after I freed him. Well that or the guy is just senile.

Oh and I think the Muslims got the better end of the deal in the peace negotiations.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
If I, playing as a feudal lord, create a merchant republic, is there a way for me to start playing them instead without cheating/using the console?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bobfly posted:

If I, playing as a feudal lord, create a merchant republic, is there a way for me to start playing them instead without cheating/using the console?

Save your game, quit, reload your game, choose the head of the merchant republic as your new character to play. There's also a console command to switch rulers on the fly, although I don't recall what it is.

This works any time you want to change your current active character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Right, yeah, okay. Dur. Thanks for bearing with me :)

Is there a way to transfer control ingame, though? I think it might make for an interesting narrative.

• Locked thread