Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Stuff the SQ-Ai and get a GS-1!

Seriously though, Bronica is getting cheap again and will likely remain so for some time (looks like it's returning to median prices after a slight boom in the last 1.5-2years).

It really depends what you want to use the camera for - the GS-1 can do just about anything with the completely modular design and variety of film backs, however, the fastest lens is f3.5 (nothing wrong with that for the image/film plane, it's absolutely in line with other systems) and the weight of the camera can make it unwieldy for hand-holding if you're not used to it (it's actually quite light for a 6x7 system).

The SQ system is probably the best introduction as it produces a decently sized negative, has a wide lens selection (which is faster, but not as sharp as the PG lenses at key lengths), and is very portable. Don't take my knock on the lenses as a sign they're poor though - they're great lenses, it's just that the PG optics are incredibly good.

The ETR system... eh, it's 645. I guess I'll actually go into why people are "against" that. For a start, a waist-level viewfinder is somewhat problematic to use in this format, and a prism is generally preferred. You gain somewhat in the sense that the lens selection is faster (in general, and for Bronica, the lens selection for the ETR system is much wider), and the camera is lighter... except the ETR cameras range in weight from being heavier than a GS-1 to just lighter than a SQ-Ai, it's really not going to make a massive difference. You'll obviously get more photos from a roll of 120, but you're fixed with 645 when everyone else can change the back if they want, or crop to size; and you've got natural portrait orientation - this is a potential nuisance if you're intending on shooting mostly landscapes.
There's benefits of DOF and lens angles, but these can be replicated on larger formats.

I mean, the thing about 645 is it's rare for people to stick with it now - you either decide you don't like MF/the system and sell it, or you decide you like MF/the system but find the camera doesn't do enough, and you want a bigger negative so you sell it. Well, unless it's a 645 rangefinder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh, in relation to the IR film talk on the previous page:

I've won a roll of 120 Aerochrome EIR colour infrared on eBay (:getin:) and it's not supposed to be used with a camera/film back that uses IR to determine shot number. Do most of the changeable-lens MF bodies use IR internally or would I be OK? I suppose this applies for B&W infrared too.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh, in relation to the IR film talk on the previous page:

I've won a roll of 120 Aerochrome EIR colour infrared on eBay (:getin:) and it's not supposed to be used with a camera/film back that uses IR to determine shot number. Do most of the changeable-lens MF bodies use IR internally or would I be OK? I suppose this applies for B&W infrared too.

I'm pretty sure only 35mm cameras can use IR frame counters - there's no sprocket holes to count on 120...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Excellent, just wanted to make sure, thanks.

Is there a general lens guideline with MF, like how on 35mm you'll have an 80mm for portraits, 50mm as standard, etc... or does it depend on the shooting format ie 6x6, 645 and so on?

Also dorkasuarus, your pics in the op are absolutely gorgeous.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 29, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Excellent, just wanted to make sure, thanks.

Is there a general lens guideline with MF, like how on 35mm you'll have an 80mm for portraits, 50mm as standard, etc... or does it depend on the shooting format ie 6x6, 645 and so on?

Depends on format. Most people use the diagonal of the format to determine an equivalence:

135 diagonal: 43.3mm
645 diagonal: 69.7mm (~1.6x, so 80mm on 645 is like 50mm on 135)
6x6 diagonal: 79.1mm (~1.8x, so 90mm on 6x6 is like 50mm on 135)
6x7 diagonal: 89.6mm (~2.0x, so 100mm on 6x7 is like 50mm on 135)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is all this:

Bronica - SQ-A 6x6 –
120 film back
50mm, 80mm seiko lens
Hard Case

good value for a little over $400?

It seems to be in good condition.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

MrBlandAverage posted:

Depends on format. Most people use the diagonal of the format to determine an equivalence:

135 diagonal: 43.3mm
645 diagonal: 69.7mm (~1.6x, so 80mm on 645 is like 50mm on 135)
6x6 diagonal: 79.1mm (~1.8x, so 90mm on 6x6 is like 50mm on 135)
6x7 diagonal: 89.6mm (~2.0x, so 100mm on 6x7 is like 50mm on 135)

:argh: Leaving out the best: 6x9 diagonal: 10.8mm

Is all this:

Bronica - SQ-A 6x6 –
120 film back
50mm, 80mm seiko lens
Hard Case

good value for a little over $400?

It seems to be in good condition.

Seems like a good deal to me, does it have a waist level finder? and are the lenses S or PS?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
If those are PS lenses and it's in good shape, that's a decent deal. I've seen that sort of price for a body+back, viewfinder and 80mm combo. And the 50mm is one of the pricier lenses to pick up.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

:argh: Leaving out the best: 6x9 diagonal: 10.8mm
108mm, or a "crop factor" of 0.40

And while we're messing up unit conversions:
- 4x5: 116.4mm diagonal, C.F. 0.38
- 8x10: 325.3mm, C.F. 0.133

Huh, I think it's interesting that 4x5 (Iron Age "inches" or "thumbs" or "hemi-cubits" or whateverthefuck) is so similar to 6x9 cm.

plannerpirate
Apr 21, 2010
Is this a good deal for $380 US? Unfortunately shipping is still on top of that. Oh well.

rb67 ProSD body
127mm K/L lens + hood etc
6x7 ProSD back
WLF

Side question: Is it just me, or are film prices in Australia incredibly high? The local film store stocks a tiny amount of 120 film, and charges for it too (from memory $30 for a roll of Velvia, $17 for Portra). I could import from the US, pay $50 in shipping and still be ahead.

plannerpirate fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 30, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

And while we're messing up unit conversions:
- 4x5: 116.4mm diagonal, C.F. 0.38

:confused: where are you getting this? It's about 155mm, so about a 3.6x factor.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I must have punched buttons on my calculator wrong :downs:

Now I get 162.6mm

Square root of (4x4 + 5x5) = 6.4 inches x 25.4 mm/inch = 162.6.

43.3 / 162.6 = 0.266, or a 4x5 negative is about 3.76 times larger than a 35mm negative.

Like I said, screwing up unit conversions!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

NERDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

Now I get 162.6mm

If you exclude the areas covered by the film holder it's a bit smaller, but I guess if you do that for 4x5 you need to do it for the medium formats as well.

ExecuDork posted:

43.3 / 162.6 = 0.266, or a 4x5 negative is about 3.76 times larger than a 35mm negative.

If you look at surface area it's 15x larger :getin:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

If you exclude the areas covered by the film holder it's a bit smaller, but I guess if you do that for 4x5 you need to do it for the medium formats as well.
Yeah, I didn't include the 4mm of rebate on 120/220 in my calculations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

NERDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I accept the charge. As long as everyone else does, too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

plannerpirate posted:

Side question: Is it just me, or are film prices in Australia incredibly high? The local film store stocks a tiny amount of 120 film, and charges for it too (from memory $30 for a roll of Velvia, $17 for Portra). I could import from the US, pay $50 in shipping and still be ahead.

Film and film processing is stupidly expensive in Australia, I just dropped of 5 rolls of 120 c-41 to be processed, $44 thank you :smith:

Either order from South East Asian dealers on Ebay, bulk order for B&H/Adorama or my new favourite that I buzz-market for at every chance, the https://www.filmphotographyproject.com/store - they do the cheapest shipping possible for the best prices prossible. Also the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment, so buy up!

Edit: And Freestyle are now shipping small orders to Australia too I think.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 30, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

The Clit Avoider posted:

I mean, the thing about 645 is it's rare for people to stick with it now - you either decide you don't like MF/the system and sell it, or you decide you like MF/the system but find the camera doesn't do enough, and you want a bigger negative so you sell it. Well, unless it's a 645 rangefinder...

Screw you dirty communists, you can pry my Contax from my cold, dead, kinda-rectangular-format hands. It's the most well designed camera I have ever used >:/

Plus, if it's good enough for Erik Almas, it's way too good for my snapshots of cats and boring crap :)

Spedman posted:

Film and film processing is stupidly expensive in Australia, I just dropped of 5 rolls of 120 c-41 to be processed, $44 thank you :smith:

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=54064

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 30, 2013

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I just received an order from these guys http://www.lofico.com.au/collections/120-film with free shipping because the order was >$80

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I pretty much always do my own colour, but I'm clean out of chems and time at the moment, I need to put in an order for big Maxi Rollei kit.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

I pretty much always do my own colour, but I'm clean out of chems and time at the moment, I need to put in an order for big Maxi Rollei kit.

What do C-41 kits typically run down under after shipping?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The best price would be the Maxi Super C41 kit from Maco Direct, it's a 5lt kit which does 100 rolls and will set you back ~$150 AUD including shipping from Germany. A Tetenal kit sold locally will do 60 rolls for about $140 AUD, but it doesn't have the shelf life of the Rollei kit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spedman posted:

Seems like a good deal to me, does it have a waist level finder? and are the lenses S or PS?

Waist level viewfinder and S lenses, is that cool?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Waist level viewfinder and S lenses, is that cool?

The PS lenses are newer and, as such, are generally a little better. However, a lot of people get the S 50mm since it has the same filter size as nearly every other lens in the SQ system (67mm), while the PS 50mm is larger.

An SQ WLF can go for over $100 on it's own, so it's nice that it comes with one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, I'm having a look at it on Saturday and I'll probably buy it if it's all good.

Anything in specific I should be looking for problem-wise?

Turns out it doesn't have a viewfinder, just the top window. Comes with a speed grip too though.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 30, 2013

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

If it just has the bare ground glass you can go all ghetto and just make a cardboard viewing box to go around it, works just as well as a real one but you don't get the little magnifier to help with shallow DOF focusing.

With my SQ-Ai I've always had problems with the battery compartment not closing tight enough to make decent contact with the batteries, causing it to not fire every now and then without a good press to the bottom of the body.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
This week I bought a Fujica GW690 from eBay - and got a roll of film with it, too! Apart from how you load the film (which I am sure there is a youtube video or two dedicated to this art) I have a question in relation to exposures.
I have seen that the lenses are different and have 35mm equivalents. Case in point: I have a 90mm lens. From what I've managed to work out, I think it's a roughly 39mm equivalent in 35mm.
When working out your exposure values, do you have to make any similar adjustments? (i.e f/8 in 35mm isn't f/8 on 120 film)

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Man_alive posted:

This week I bought a Fujica GW690 from eBay - and got a roll of film with it, too! Apart from how you load the film (which I am sure there is a youtube video or two dedicated to this art) I have a question in relation to exposures.
I have seen that the lenses are different and have 35mm equivalents. Case in point: I have a 90mm lens. From what I've managed to work out, I think it's a roughly 39mm equivalent in 35mm.
When working out your exposure values, do you have to make any similar adjustments? (i.e f/8 in 35mm isn't f/8 on 120 film)

No you don't!
Exposed film area does not affect the exposure. Also:
They already figured in the focal lens when calculating where to place a lenses f-stops.

Shoot as normal.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

VomitOnLino posted:

No you don't!
Exposed film area does not affect the exposure. Also:
They already figured in the focal lens when calculating where to place a lenses f-stops.

Shoot as normal.

Thanks for the fast reply and for the info. Much clearer now!

plannerpirate
Apr 21, 2010

Spedman posted:

... my new favourite that I buzz-market for at every chance, the https://www.filmphotographyproject.com/store - they do the cheapest shipping possible for the best prices prossible. Also the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment, so buy up!

deaders posted:

I just received an order from these guys http://www.lofico.com.au/collections/120-film with free shipping because the order was >$80

Thanks for those recommendations. They're both far cheaper than importing from the main US camera stores ($60 postage alone).
Judging by the cost of that processing, it's going to be home developing time.

I also went ahead and bought that RB67 from ebay - I plan to quickly run a roll or two through it to see if there are any issues with the camera. Will colour film show up issues that BW won't or vice versa? (I can't think that it would matter).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I took the trusty GW690 over to Scotland recently and I've got through scanning a couple of the rolls so far. These are on some Portra 160, there's a couple more over in the landscape thread:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gorgeous.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

I took the trusty GW690 over to Scotland recently and I've got through scanning a couple of the rolls so far. These are on some Portra 160, there's a couple more over in the landscape thread:

Goddamn dude.

I managed to snag a Voigtlander VC meter for pretty cheap to use with my GW690II. It definitely fits my needs better for the kind of shooting I do than my L358 does. And as much as I love my XA, it's been nice not having to pull it out for reflective metering.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turns out the Bronica I bought had a viewfinder after all!

I stuck a test roll in, there's so many dials and buttons, I'm very confused.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

Goddamn dude.

I managed to snag a Voigtlander VC meter for pretty cheap to use with my GW690II. It definitely fits my needs better for the kind of shooting I do than my L358 does. And as much as I love my XA, it's been nice not having to pull it out for reflective metering.

I have to admit to being a bit lazy these days and just use the "Light Meter" app on my iPhone, or if I'm not totally sure my little L-208 meter when shooting with the GW690ii. When I was shooting slide film in my SQ-Ai I pretty much always used an old pentax spot meter, but I haven't picked it up since shooting only negative colour. The Portra's and B&W films are so forgiving I can get away with being a bit sloppy.

Turns out the Bronica I bought had a viewfinder after all!

I stuck a test roll in, there's so many dials and buttons, I'm very confused.

Good stuff with the view finder it's stupid how expensive they are compared to buying a full setup, but I'd figure it'd be a bit awkward with the speed grip, plus winding the film on is half the fun. You should just try shooting with and without the speed grip, I bet you'll prefer without.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 2, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I took the speed grip off because I thought it was broken and after half an hour of fiddling with it, I found there's a safety switch on the handle. I feel like such a dumbass.

Yeah, I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the viewfinder, I was looking at them on eBay, they're all going at like €100+ It comes with a little pop-out magnifying thing too, which is dead handy.
Considering I got the body, 2 lenses, viewfinder, speedgrip, case and film-back all for €300, I think I did pretty well (assuming it works correctly)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The remainder from my roll of Acros.

Chairs, Jalan Besar, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Marina Bay Sands, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Clementi, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Raffles Quay, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Spedman posted:

cool shots. that's such a lovely camera

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So since I got into photography and have been shooting digital, I've remembered that I actually have some older cameras at my father's place. I got him to take some pictures of the cameras for ID, I'll link some here but here's the full album if anyone is interested.

The only really interesting camera is the one on the far left. As far as I can tell it's a 1905 Gundlach-Manhattan Optical Co. "Korona Petit" with the "Korona Junior Shutter", made with mahogany and upholstered with 'seal grain cowhide'. I can't quite make out which lens is on it - maybe someone in here will know. The nameplate is missing from the camera unfortunately.

I'm finding information in this scanned 1903 catalog by the manufacturer. It's written in what would be super pretentious English in current day and you should just try to read the first couple paragraphs.

The mounts for the 1903 lens 'plate' seem to be made of wood in the catalog, I found this image of a 1905 Korona Petit on GIS and it looks pretty much the same:

I do notice however that the one in the image above doesn't seem to have the thumbwheel on the base (for focusing).

The picture has the wheel in the right place and looks nearly identical:

So, it seems this camera came with a couple different options for film size. Which part exactly of the film tray should I measure to figure out which film size it uses? Is 3.25"x4.25" or 3.25"x5.50" even available anywhere in big cities and does anyone develop it? Would be fun to give this thing a shot.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
You can get film in old sizes like 1/4 plate and postcard but not cheaply and regularly. I think Ilford does one run of special sizes a year. You could of course get 4x5 film and cut it down but if you don't have a holder that would be a little pointless.

• Locked thread