Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Snorb posted:

My girlfriend and I were intimate Thursday, Friday, yesterday, and today. She took a dose of Plan B today, and according to her period tracker she'll ovulate about Wednesday/Thursday?

I need to know: How safe are we?

Not very. Buy some pregnancy tests. Plan B works best the sooner it's taken, and you're on the very edge of when it can possibly still work. Please look into a regular form of birth control. Plan B is not Plan A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Snorb posted:

My girlfriend and I were intimate Thursday, Friday, yesterday, and today. She took a dose of Plan B today, and according to her period tracker she'll ovulate about Wednesday/Thursday?

Not very.

- Plan B is really only an effective option for about 72 hours after unprotected sex.
- Sperm can survive in the body waiting for an egg for up to 5 days give or take and an egg is also viable for days.
- Finally no woman's cycle is textbook perfect every month. So unless she's using really in-depth info like body temperature, cervical mucus, etc. a period tracker is only going to give you an estimate of ovulation at best. One month it may be 14 days after her period, another it might be 10 or 20 and so on. So for all you know she may have ovulated already.

Not to say that Plan B isn't a good thing, but it really shouldn't be your first choice as birth control. Also don't be too surprised if her period gets messed up by it even if she doesn't get pregnant. It didn't cause me any problems when I took it, but sometimes it can make a person's cycle kind of weird for a little while after.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Plan B is now effective up to 5 days, but the odds are still pretty bad.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/stlouis/emergency-contraception-23428.htm

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Snorb posted:

I need to know why you guys were intimate for 5 days with no barrier protection? I don't really want to rag - hah - on you too hard but seriously, its really important. Next time don't put yourselves in a position where she needs to take plan b. Plan b is more like "oh poo poo the condom broke" and you keep a dose in your medicine cabinet for that sort of incident.

If this sort of behavior is habit, you are going to be a daddy in no time.

And period trackers are really meh imo. I've got one just so I can know when I should think about keeping my cup handy but it thinks I should be ovulating about a week off from what I really am.

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?
I'm currently on hormonal BC pills and am thinking of switching to a copper IUD, mostly for sex drive purposes. I've already called and talked to my obgyn about it, and my insurance covers it 100%, so no issue there.

I am a little bit concerned about the heavier, more painful periods though - my period right now isn't overly heavy but can be fairly painful for the first three days or so, before the pain mostly goes away and there's just light bleeding for a few more days. Google gave me horror stories about how "I HAVE HAD TWO YEARS OF TWO WEEK LONG PERIODS AND THIS IS THE WORST THING" but people generally seem to go onto health forums like that to complain about stuff, so I'd like to hear from other ladygoons who have copper IUDs and don't think they're the worst thing ever.

Am I going to have hell-periods forever or will I be miserable for a bit before it levels off back to more or less normal? I can deal with worse periods if it means that I will have a higher sex drive and also not have to think about pills anymore (I'm pretty good about them and have an alarm on my phone, but occasionally there is the moment of poo poo I forgot my purse at home or whatever), but only to a point. Someone else in horror story thread said something about between horrible periods and cramping in-between there was like one week a month where sex was possible, which sort of kills the point of me doing this for a better sex drive. Any anecdotes from normal people would be greatly appreciated!

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
My IUD placement appointment is tomorrow morning at 10am. I'm getting a Mirena because I'm allergic to nickel and PP hasn't gotten Skyla yet. I'm pretty nervous.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Melinoe posted:

I'm currently on hormonal BC pills and am thinking of switching to a copper IUD, mostly for sex drive purposes. I've already called and talked to my obgyn about it, and my insurance covers it 100%, so no issue there.

I am a little bit concerned about the heavier, more painful periods though - my period right now isn't overly heavy but can be fairly painful for the first three days or so, before the pain mostly goes away and there's just light bleeding for a few more days. Google gave me horror stories about how "I HAVE HAD TWO YEARS OF TWO WEEK LONG PERIODS AND THIS IS THE WORST THING" but people generally seem to go onto health forums like that to complain about stuff, so I'd like to hear from other ladygoons who have copper IUDs and don't think they're the worst thing ever.

Am I going to have hell-periods forever or will I be miserable for a bit before it levels off back to more or less normal? I can deal with worse periods if it means that I will have a higher sex drive and also not have to think about pills anymore (I'm pretty good about them and have an alarm on my phone, but occasionally there is the moment of poo poo I forgot my purse at home or whatever), but only to a point. Someone else in horror story thread said something about between horrible periods and cramping in-between there was like one week a month where sex was possible, which sort of kills the point of me doing this for a better sex drive. Any anecdotes from normal people would be greatly appreciated!

Weirdly enough, my periods, after 4 months of paragard, lessened. My periods used to be the crazy clotty heavy waterfall periods but now they are down to only about 2 days of less heavy bleeding than before and a few days of spotty. I got my paragard at 23 and now i'm 26 (holy crap!) and everything has been great. But it could also be attributed to my diet because I also went low carb at the same time so /shrug. I did a ton of "healthier" life changes all at once.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

GabrielAisling posted:

My IUD placement appointment is tomorrow morning at 10am. I'm getting a Mirena because I'm allergic to nickel and PP hasn't gotten Skyla yet. I'm pretty nervous.

It'll be OK! It might be sucky, but I guarantee it will be over soon, even if it's it super sucky.

My insertion was rough and most ladies don't have it as rough as I did. And even so, I was right as rain the next day. Really I was. Take 800 mg of ibu an hour before and have the heating pad ready. It will be OK!

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Geolicious posted:

It'll be OK! It might be sucky, but I guarantee it will be over soon, even if it's it super sucky.

My insertion was rough and most ladies don't have it as rough as I did. And even so, I was right as rain the next day. Really I was. Take 800 mg of ibu an hour before and have the heating pad ready. It will be OK!

Thanks. I'll pick up some thermacare pads today. The PP office is 45 minutes away, and I don't want to be in pain the whole drive home through overpass construction fuckery.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Also, don't feel like you have to leave right away. My doc let me stay until I was feeling OK. I also had a friend drive me, which I am very glad of. But it was also a 75 minute drive. If she hadn't been there, I probably would have had to hang out at the doc's a little longer.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Melinoe posted:

Any anecdotes from normal people would be greatly appreciated!

I've had mine for almost two years. I had a couple of "nightmare" periods at the beginning. Nightmare for me really isn't anything in the grand scheme of things.

For reference, I've been on hormonal birth control for years with no side effects other than no periods and clear skin. I was off all birth control for 3 or 4 years when I got Paragard. Off birth control, my period would last 4 or 5 days, only 1 would be "heavy", with mild cramping one day. Usually some ibuprofen would knock it out. Now it's more like 6 or 7 days total, with 2 days "heavy" with slightly more cramping both days and 2 or 3 of those days being fairly light.

As for what I define as "heavy", I use a diva cup. I previously only had to empty it every 12 hours. Now the cup may leak a little and I'll get some spotting after 8-10 hours on one of my heavier days.

My couple of months of "Nightmare" included a couple of days where the cramps would not go away with ibuprofen and having leaks overnight or after about 6 hours.

I imagine if I went straight from hormonal birth control with no periods or cramps straight to Paragard I might have flipped out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Melinoe posted:

Well first, if sex is a concern there's really never been a time where I felt like absolutely couldn't have sex because of my Paragard. There have been a few crampy period days where I didn't feel much like it, but I had those before the IUD and while on the pill.

Anyway, I've had mine for almost 11 months now (so getting close to a year!) I won't lie, the first few periods were pretty rough. Heavy flow/heavy cramps that generally stayed under control with ibuprofen. At this point, they can still be pretty heavy but the cramps have kind of gone away. I've also noticed after a few months of lasting 6-7 days my period has now gone down to 4 days, which is about the length I had on the pill. I only have cramps during the first day or two of my period, a few mild ones the day I ovulate, and maybe a random one here or there (which was more common in the first few months, I don't get them as much now).

It's kind of a cliche, but I definitely noticed when I hit the 6 month or so mark that things seemed to tip towards normal again and it's been getting better ever since. It was rough going sometimes at first because your period changes, you have to learn how to deal with that and there will be mistakes like any time you're learning to deal with your period. For the early months, ibuprofen, heat pads and black underwear helps (I'm sorry, I may not be selling you on this too well :v: ).

At this point I basically feel normal - not in constant pain, not bleeding non-stop, able to have sex if the opportunity arose. And yes my sex drive through the roof mostly because of no hormones, but I think also because I know I can have sex whenever I want and I'm protected.

GabrielAisling posted:

Is there anything specific you're nervous about? It's not the most fun in the world, but the uncomfortable parts will be over in a matter of seconds if that helps.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Actually, I'm mostly nervous about dealing with the clinic staff. They weren't very nice last week. The nurse was great, but the office girls were rude. And I'd decided on Implanon at the office, got the information for both, but my insurance doesn't know if they cover the implant, so Mirena it is. My uterus also hates me and wants me to die after several days of intense misery. I'm worried about the cramps it'll subject me to if I stick it with a piece of plastic instead of a baby.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

GabrielAisling posted:

Actually, I'm mostly nervous about dealing with the clinic staff. They weren't very nice last week. The nurse was great, but the office girls were rude. And I'd decided on Implanon at the office, got the information for both, but my insurance doesn't know if they cover the implant, so Mirena it is. My uterus also hates me and wants me to die after several days of intense misery. I'm worried about the cramps it'll subject me to if I stick it with a piece of plastic instead of a baby.

I have two children. The Mirena hurts way less. It's honestly "Hmm not cool...ouch..ow... OW!" and done. Then after one week it's no worries about babies for years. Sooooo good.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Insertion over. It was both not as bad an exactly as bad as I expected. There is no preparation for pain. The cramps are just starting. My uterus is unhappy. I would personify it less, but I do generally feel like it's a malevolent force. All in all, it's a success. I definitely wouldn't want to drive right now, though. Glad my mom went with me.

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?

Kimmalah posted:

It was rough going sometimes at first because your period changes, you have to learn how to deal with that and there will be mistakes like any time you're learning to deal with your period. For the early months, ibuprofen, heat pads and black underwear helps (I'm sorry, I may not be selling you on this too well :v: ).

At this point I basically feel normal - not in constant pain, not bleeding non-stop, able to have sex if the opportunity arose. And yes my sex drive through the roof mostly because of no hormones, but I think also because I know I can have sex whenever I want and I'm protected.

Haha, your post actually made me feel better about it :) I have an appointment next Tuesday morning, boyfriend is gonna come with to drive me home. I turned off my phone's birth control alarm that's been on there for the last five years. It felt oddly freeing. Thanks to everyone who posted, I am now edging towards excited from apprehensive!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GabrielAisling posted:

Insertion over. It was both not as bad an exactly as bad as I expected. There is no preparation for pain. The cramps are just starting. My uterus is unhappy. I would personify it less, but I do generally feel like it's a malevolent force. All in all, it's a success. I definitely wouldn't want to drive right now, though. Glad my mom went with me.

Yes "unhappy" is a good description. The worst was over for me by the end of the day. But if not, don't get discouraged as it can be a little different for everyone.

Melinoe posted:

Haha, your post actually made me feel better about it :) I have an appointment next Tuesday morning, boyfriend is gonna come with to drive me home. I turned off my phone's birth control alarm that's been on there for the last five years. It felt oddly freeing. Thanks to everyone who posted, I am now edging towards excited from apprehensive!

Oh good, I was afraid that part about periods might scare you off. Things were really heavy for me at times, so there were a few "accidents" where I ended up leaking through my tampon/underwear/clothes. BUT every single time it was because I didn't keep an eye on things and just left my tampon in too long, so I'd only partially blame Paragard for that. And it's been a few months since that's happened. Periods are still heavy now, but they're weird: like one day will be heavy, the next day will be spotting or no bleeding at all (which is great for period sex), then the next will be moderate. And like I mentioned they're still shorter than my natural IUD/pill-free period was. :iiam:

Otherwise, I feel pretty normal. You've probably already figured it out, but I'd recommend just staying away from Google about this for the most part. I did that once before I got my IUD and I found that it's mostly horror stories or people blaming every single vague symptom they have on their IUD.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Just got prescribed a pill! The doctor says it's the same medicine and dosage as ortho tricyclen lo but the brand is different so it's cheaper. And that my hardware doesn't make me any more prone to bloodclots than anybody else. And that it just might help with my hormonal acne. Now I just have to wait for my next period and try to train myself to take a pill every day.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I'm about 11 hours into Mirena and the cramping has calmed down pretty much entirely. Just the occasional strong one. Stick-on heating pads are awesome, and the worst part was definitely the first few hours. After I started moving around again and took a second dose of ibuprofen, things started lightening up and feeling better.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm about 11 hours into Mirena and the cramping has calmed down pretty much entirely. Just the occasional strong one. Stick-on heating pads are awesome, and the worst part was definitely the first few hours. After I started moving around again and took a second dose of ibuprofen, things started lightening up and feeling better.

Yep it's pretty much a mild cramp here and there from here on out. Your first period or two may be a return to loving your ibuprofen for a day or so but not as bad as the initial cramping.

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?

Kimmalah posted:

Oh good, I was afraid that part about periods might scare you off. Things were really heavy for me at times, so there were a few "accidents" where I ended up leaking through my tampon/underwear/clothes. BUT every single time it was because I didn't keep an eye on things and just left my tampon in too long, so I'd only partially blame Paragard for that. And it's been a few months since that's happened. Periods are still heavy now, but they're weird: like one day will be heavy, the next day will be spotting or no bleeding at all (which is great for period sex), then the next will be moderate. And like I mentioned they're still shorter than my natural IUD/pill-free period was. :iiam:

Otherwise, I feel pretty normal. You've probably already figured it out, but I'd recommend just staying away from Google about this for the most part. I did that once before I got my IUD and I found that it's mostly horror stories or people blaming every single vague symptom they have on their IUD.

I'm already overly paranoid about leaks so I'll just make sure to be extra-vigilant, and I'll probably get some panty liners for the beginning too. I'm hoping to get a cup soon too so I'll probably just empty that every time I go to the bathroom and it'll be even less of an issue. I am going to be getting it put in during my period though, I kinda wonder if that'll do anything weird and unexpected. I'll just make sure I'm prepared.

Yeah, most of the internet seems pretty terrible for this sort of thing. I saw some horror story about someone's grandma who got one and then couldn't feel the string so she assumed it fell out, and then like thirty years later had abdominal pain and lo and behold the IUD was still inside of her. It was supposed to scare me away from getting one but it only made me wonder why the gently caress she didn't go to the doctor to confirm that it was no longer in there.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Melinoe posted:

I'm already overly paranoid about leaks so I'll just make sure to be extra-vigilant, and I'll probably get some panty liners for the beginning too. I'm hoping to get a cup soon too so I'll probably just empty that every time I go to the bathroom and it'll be even less of an issue. I am going to be getting it put in during my period though, I kinda wonder if that'll do anything weird and unexpected. I'll just make sure I'm prepared.

Yeah, most of the internet seems pretty terrible for this sort of thing. I saw some horror story about someone's grandma who got one and then couldn't feel the string so she assumed it fell out, and then like thirty years later had abdominal pain and lo and behold the IUD was still inside of her. It was supposed to scare me away from getting one but it only made me wonder why the gently caress she didn't go to the doctor to confirm that it was no longer in there.

Haha well fun fact about pantiliners (or at least the Always ones I use) is that they will leak through if you don't check them enough and they get really saturated. I guess because most of them are made to allow a little air flow these days. A cup would probably be good. I never used one because I'm absent minded and don't trust myself to properly break the seal, which is very important with IUDs. I did have mine put in during my period/placebo week technically but I hadn't started bleeding yet. It wasn't bad, just caused heavier bleeding than the practically nonexistent periods I normally had with the pill and it was over after about a week. I still worked and managed to get back to sex about 2 days later. :pervert:

I actually just remembered, I've posted about my Paragard experience from before insertion onwards, so you can click the "?" under my name if you want more firsthand info from the last year or so.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 30, 2013

Theoretically
May 3, 2009

I'm the Weird Bonus Character!
I just had Mirena inserted, almost entirely because of this thread. Other medication I take makes hormonal pills ineffective, and Depo-Provera turns me into a raging rear end in a top hat.

I didn't get the benefit of taking ibuprofen ahead of time because I went in for what I thought was the consultation and they were like "Looks like you already discussed this with the gynecologist, do you just want us to put it in?" and I was like "Yeah, sure, saves me a trip".

The insertion hurt - I won't lie. It felt about how you would think having a piece of plastic crammed through your cervix would feel. It was definitely "OW, deep breaths, GODDAMMIT OW". Kind of like super strong period cramps (you know, the kind that make you double over). Still worth it for 5 years of no babies.

I had it done at Planned Parenthood. The woman who did the insertion was very good and told me exactly what she was doing each step of the process, which was really nice.

I actually have not had any cramps whatsoever besides the initial pain of insertion, but I'm bleeding... about the equivalent of a light day of my period. Which is good, since my job involves lifting, pushing, and pulling heavy things. Which would suck, if I had cramps. I made sure I got it on a day off so I had time to recover.

I think after my 5 years are up, though, I'll just take the plunge and get a tubal ligation.

leverite where
Nov 18, 2007

my peripheral vision is excellent
Got a pap smear today. I'd like to get an IUD, but apparently my cervix appears to have like, a double opening but one opening appears to be normal and the other one doesn't seem to be an actual opening...but, almost like it was supposed to be one? I don't think the gyno wants to proceed with anything IUD-related until I get an ultrasound done of my uterus, which kind of sucks because I'm uninsured right now and these kinds of visits to radiology aren't covered by California's low income health program.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with an abnormal looking cervix and getting an ultrasound done to see if there's anything weird going on with the uterus. Or how the IUD process changes if one has an abnormally-shaped uterus/cervix. Really doubt I have a double uterus or anything, but drat, that would be quite the discovery at age 24...

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

leverite where posted:

Got a pap smear today. I'd like to get an IUD, but apparently my cervix appears to have like, a double opening but one opening appears to be normal and the other one doesn't seem to be an actual opening...but, almost like it was supposed to be one? I don't think the gyno wants to proceed with anything IUD-related until I get an ultrasound done of my uterus, which kind of sucks because I'm uninsured right now and these kinds of visits to radiology aren't covered by California's low income health program.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with an abnormal looking cervix and getting an ultrasound done to see if there's anything weird going on with the uterus. Or how the IUD process changes if one has an abnormally-shaped uterus/cervix. Really doubt I have a double uterus or anything, but drat, that would be quite the discovery at age 24...

I've seen patients with two uteruses (including one who was pregnant in both!!) and another one with two vaginas. These things happen and are generally harmless. Since an ultrasound seems to be prohibitively expensive for you, I'd suggest getting a second opinion - generally, an IUD can be put in almost any woman's uterus as long as it's big enough, and your provider will measure your uterus before the insertion to make sure of that.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Last night the condom came off me into my girlfriend last night. So we got the condom out of her and ran out and bought Plan B and she took it right around 2 hours after sex. From everything I know that's a pretty much textbook example of how Plan B is supposed to be used so I think our risk chances of pregnancy are pretty low but I'd figured I'd ask here in case there's anything else I should know.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
You're fine, that's exactly how Plan B should be used. She should look into another form of birth control, though, to ensure she doesn't have to go wreaking havoc on her hormones every time a condom fails.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Last night the condom came off me into my girlfriend last night. So we got the condom out of her and ran out and bought Plan B and she took it right around 2 hours after sex. From everything I know that's a pretty much textbook example of how Plan B is supposed to be used so I think our risk chances of pregnancy are pretty low but I'd figured I'd ask here in case there's anything else I should know.

You should be fine. Her period will probably be completely thrown off to hell for awhile though, so don't panic over that. It's not a for sure thing, but just a heads up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tshirt Ninja posted:

You're fine, that's exactly how Plan B should be used. She should look into another form of birth control, though, to ensure she doesn't have to go wreaking havoc on her hormones every time a condom fails.

It really depends on the individual person. I've taken Plan B without it really having any major effect on me or my cycle beyond some nausea right after I took it. Which I realize isn't necessarily typical, but just that it may not necessarily "wreak havoc" on her.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Kimmalah posted:

It really depends on the individual person. I've taken Plan B without it really having any major effect on me or my cycle beyond some nausea right after I took it. Which I realize isn't necessarily typical, but just that it may not necessarily "wreak havoc" on her.

Agreed, I've taken Plan B twice without any side effects really at all, on my period or otherwise (I expected to be super nauseous because I get nauseous easily, but didn't even feel that). I counsel women taking it that "your period may come earlier, later or on time; it may be heavier, lighter or the same." In general YMMV with anything and everything related to birth control.

quimarello
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, 23 year old lady here, been on the Nuvaring for the last 8 or 9 years but the changes in health insurance and the fact that I'm still covered on my mom's plan means I need to switch to something less expensive before the new year. Nuvaring won't have a generic for several more years but I love it and my body is used to it and I'm worried about the side effects that will accompany switching methods of birth control... I've only ever been on the Nuvaring and though I'm not sexually active currently (:sigh:) I do hope to get back into dating as soon as it's feasible so I want to stay protected, preferably without getting fat, depressed, and losing my libido entirely. I have a tendency towards depression and anxiety and I know some methods of birth control will exacerbate that. Since I started the Nuvaring as a relatively young teen, I'm frankly not even sure what my body is like off of it.

Does anyone have any experience switching off the Nuvaring and onto another form of birth control?

Edit: I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for next week and I'm going to ask her the same questions, but last time we discussed going off of the Nuvaring she only mentioned the pill and the shot as alternative and all I've heard from other women about the shot is that it makes them gain weight.

quimarello fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 6, 2013

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Granted my knowledge of the intricacies of all the new insurance stuff is vague at best, but your nuvaring should still be free under the ACA regardless of your insurance?

But to answer your question, if it were me I'd consider implanon or an IUD if you know something isn't going to be covered. I've been on nuvaring as long as you have, and if I ever were to try switching that was mentally my next choice.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

quimarello posted:

Hey, 23 year old lady here, been on the Nuvaring for the last 8 or 9 years but the changes in health insurance and the fact that I'm still covered on my mom's plan means I need to switch to something less expensive before the new year. Nuvaring won't have a generic for several more years but I love it and my body is used to it and I'm worried about the side effects that will accompany switching methods of birth control... I've only ever been on the Nuvaring and though I'm not sexually active currently (:sigh:) I do hope to get back into dating as soon as it's feasible so I want to stay protected, preferably without getting fat, depressed, and losing my libido entirely. I have a tendency towards depression and anxiety and I know some methods of birth control will exacerbate that. Since I started the Nuvaring as a relatively young teen, I'm frankly not even sure what my body is like off of it.

Does anyone have any experience switching off the Nuvaring and onto another form of birth control?

Edit: I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for next week and I'm going to ask her the same questions, but last time we discussed going off of the Nuvaring she only mentioned the pill and the shot as alternative and all I've heard from other women about the shot is that it makes them gain weight.

I went from nuvaring to paragard and I pretty much consider it the best decision of my life. I made the change at 23 as well, just to note.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

quimarello posted:

I went from NuvaRing to the Patch when I was 20 (about eight years ago) with zero hormonal wackiness on switching--no weight gain, no acne, no breakthrough bleeding, nothing! It's also easy as hell to use and (in my opinion at least) way more convenient and comfortable than the NuvaRing.

That being said, my body decided to throw a poo poo fit to all things related to my lady parts earlier this year and the Patch was no longer, uh, up to the task of keeping my hormones in check, but we had a great run for almost a decade!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

Granted my knowledge of the intricacies of all the new insurance stuff is vague at best, but your nuvaring should still be free under the ACA regardless of your insurance?

But to answer your question, if it were me I'd consider implanon or an IUD if you know something isn't going to be covered. I've been on nuvaring as long as you have, and if I ever were to try switching that was mentally my next choice.

I'm not 100% clear on it either, but I think the ACA stuff with birth control only applies to new insurance plans that went into effect after August 2012. So if her mom's been on the same plan for a few years, it may not apply to hers. There are also exceptions, like religious organizations that offer insurance to employees.

Something like the patch or maybe Mirena or Implanon might be good for the "set it forget it" factor (downside being the last two won't regulate your period like Nuvaring). But I think it's worth pointing out that Nuvaring has the same hormones as what's in the pill and there's tons of formulations out there. So you're not doomed to become a fat, depressed, sexless person by switching to one.

Tigntink posted:

I went from nuvaring to paragard and I pretty much consider it the best decision of my life. I made the change at 23 as well, just to note.

It can however be a shock, going from a tiny nonexistent hormonal BC period to Paragard. :v:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I may not understand all the ins and outs of the ACA either, but I thought the insurance mandate for BC was for all policies that RENEWED after August 1 2012.

And as far as I understand, insurance policies, even if you've had the same one forever, renew every year.

For example with mine I *just* got with work: I am on a pre-existing conditions exclusion until March 2014. Now, that poo poo becomes illegal on Jan 1 2014 for all policies that RENEW on or after. So, my company's insurance will not be subject to that new law until September 1 2014, when we renew our policies.

quimarello
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for all of the suggestions! As far as the insurance costs go, my mom has done her own research on the new policies, I don't think she would force me to switch off of the birth control I've been on for almost a decade for no reason.

I was definitely leaning towards an IUD or Implanon but it will depend entirely on what's covered by our plan, so I'm just going to have to wait and talk to my doctor. I am slightly anemic so I think Mirena might be a better choice for me than the Paragard, as I've had the luxury of light and infrequent periods on the Nuvaring so I don't think I'm really ready for the monthly hemorrhage that apparently accompanies a copper IUD... I'll certainly check out the patch as an option, too! Just have to figure out what's going to be financially feasible or covered by my insurance.

I knew goon ladies would be the most helpful! Thank you all again :3:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
:3: I just realized that having good birth control is like having a relationship. My paragard and I are about to hit our 3rd anniversary on 11/17 :3: If I could buy it a gift I would.

1337 haxxor pirate
Apr 25, 2011
I'm so glad this thread exists. Real contributions from sane, articulate humans are so reassuring. Thank you guys! I'm hoping you can all be of help in preparing me for a Paragard appointment at Planned Parenthood. It seems as though I'll be in and out relatively quickly - but seeing as though I'm paying someone to plant copper in my uterus for a very long time I'd like to address concerns and be sure my body's up for it. Is it strange that there seems to be no pre-exam for this sort of thing? For all I know I have a monster uterus and could die upon contact with the thing. I'd like to be thoroughly vetted beforehand, but have no money outside of what's covering the procedure and am not sure if PP would consider something like STD testing or whatnot to be an "additional appointment". Just want to be safe.

I've gathered instances of uterine walls tearing happen during the procedure. The oh-so-reliable internet says these things happen due to inexperienced doctors or uteri (uteruses?) that have recently housed fetuses. I had an abortion in May but the receptionist booking my appointment said this wasn't a concern or consideration. I offered up the info - I was surprised she didn't ask. So, if anyone's comfortable talking about IUDs post-abortion, I'd be really grateful for those insights. I'm also particularly worried about how an IUD could affect my ability to get pregnant in the future, but posts here sort of got rid of that. Sort of.

I'd really like to know how crippling the pain was after the initial insertion. I'm a cyclist, and I'll likely be riding to and from Planned Parenthood unless the consensus on immediate pain weighs in hard. Please just tell me its not as bad as it all seems, I'm staying away from Google and "Chinese (middle aged Burning Man women) Medicine" blogs to keep what's left of my calm un-damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

1337 haxxor pirate posted:

I've gathered instances of uterine walls tearing happen during the procedure. The oh-so-reliable internet says these things happen due to inexperienced doctors or uteri (uteruses?) that have recently housed fetuses. I had an abortion in May but the receptionist booking my appointment said this wasn't a concern or consideration. I offered up the info - I was surprised she didn't ask. So, if anyone's comfortable talking about IUDs post-abortion, I'd be really grateful for those insights. I'm also particularly worried about how an IUD could affect my ability to get pregnant in the future, but posts here sort of got rid of that. Sort of.

It's not post-abortion, but I got a Mirena IUD eight weeks after giving birth vaginally and it was no issue (they would have inserted it at six weeks if I had wanted). I'm now pregnant with a fetus conceived the cycle after I got it out (got a period two days after removal after never having one post-childbirth, ovulated two weeks later, positive pregnancy test a week and a half after that) and my understanding is that Mirena has more of a chance at messing up fertility a bit due to the hormones.

• Locked thread