Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI starting mid November ATT will only be offering Mobile Share plans to new customers. Current customers can keep their plans for as long as they want, bit the minutes plans will be discontinued.

Looking at how bills will go up on these new plans, I hope AT&T thought this through.

I am very happy I added a line this week with 5gigs of tethering. Wife is still on unlimited. We will never change from these plans. These Mobile Share plans will give T-Mobile a lot of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

hotsauce posted:

Looking at how bills will go up on these new plans, I hope AT&T thought this through.

I am very happy I added a line this week with 5gigs of tethering. Wife is still on unlimited. We will never change from these plans. These Mobile Share plans will give T-Mobile a lot of business.

It doesn't make sense for everyone. Newer customers, pretty much I have put them on mobile share every time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Well, current customers can keep the non mobile share plans as long as they want (and ATT has a good track record on grandfathering plans). So you would have been fine now or in a few months on that add a line.

Mobile share is about the same as minutes plans for 2-5 lines honestly. Individual is certainly about $5-10 a month more. So while I'm not saying its cheap, its only really a price hike for individuals and especially for non smartphone family plans (which there just aren't that many anyway).

TMo will do really well in the cities, not as well outside where coverage is weaker. For better or worse, the only two carriers that really come close to having nation wide coverage are ATT and Big Red.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

hotsauce posted:

At least for my family (5 lines), the cost difference is +/- $10 of the ala carte plan depending on whether we get the 10GB or 15GB shared plan. The price per phone is between $55 and $60 which is pretty drat good.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

rufius posted:

At least for my family (5 lines), the cost difference is +/- $10 of the ala carte plan depending on whether we get the 10GB or 15GB shared plan. The price per phone is between $55 and $60 which is pretty drat good.

If you have more than two lines its pretty compelling. If you have exactly two lines its kind if rapey vs individual data plans IMO.

You pay $300/month? Yikes.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

If you have more than two lines its pretty compelling. If you have exactly two lines its kind if rapey vs individual data plans IMO.

You pay $300/month? Yikes.

I don't know what math you've done, but 2 lines on mobile share, sharing 1 GB, is cheaper than 2 lines on a 700 min, w/unlimited text and each having only 200 mb.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

obeyasia posted:

I don't know what math you've done, but 2 lines on mobile share, sharing 1 GB, is cheaper than 2 lines on a 700 min, w/unlimited text and each having only 200 mb.

And 2GB is the same price.

frankylazers
Jan 2, 2011
Two questions:

I'm the only one left on my family plan and I don't see an option online to change it to an individual plan. Do I have to go in a store or call customer service to change this?

I also have an unlimited data plan for my iphone. I'd like to switch to an android phone this year and keep the unlimited plan though. Is this possible?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

frankylazers posted:

Two questions:

I'm the only one left on my family plan and I don't see an option online to change it to an individual plan. Do I have to go in a store or call customer service to change this?

I also have an unlimited data plan for my iphone. I'd like to switch to an android phone this year and keep the unlimited plan though. Is this possible?

AT&T still allows you to grandfather unlimited plans through upgrades. Just call customer service to get it switched to a single plan and do it quick as they're going to stop offering anything but Mobile Share pretty soon.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
My wife has an iPhone 4s that she loves however she is eligible for an upgrade now and has unlimited data.

Can she upgrade say, in a few months and keep unlimited data or will we be forced into a share plan? (which we don't want)

I have an individual 5gig plan, she has unlimited. We want to keep it that way. Should she do the upgrade before Oct 26 (or whenever the "we only offer shared data thanks" goes into effect)?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hotsauce posted:

My wife has an iPhone 4s that she loves however she is eligible for an upgrade now and has unlimited data.

Can she upgrade say, in a few months and keep unlimited data or will we be forced into a share plan? (which we don't want)

I have an individual 5gig plan, she has unlimited. We want to keep it that way. Should she do the upgrade before Oct 26 (or whenever the "we only offer shared data thanks" goes into effect)?

Yes. You are grandfathered. You will not be forced into a new share plan.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Lblitzer posted:

AT&T still allows you to grandfather unlimited plans through upgrades. Just call customer service to get it switched to a single plan and do it quick as they're going to stop offering anything but Mobile Share pretty soon.

Did you read the OP? READ THE OP.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

obeyasia posted:

Did you read the OP? READ THE OP.

I have to admit, no I don't go into the OP of every megathread and read updates every few days. Maybe I'm alone here but they are often stale and outdated. Clearly this thread is the exception, so I'll check it first since it's well maintained.

But thanks for the clarification Beefstorm.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hotsauce posted:

I have to admit, no I don't go into the OP of every megathread and read updates every few days. Maybe I'm alone here but they are often stale and outdated. Clearly this thread is the exception, so I'll check it first since it's well maintained.

But thanks for the clarification Beefstorm.

NP. I like to keep it clean and up to date with the latest information.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
So I went into an AT&T store to ask about their Home Phone deal for my Mom, and I was assaulted body and soul by someone wanting to sell Digital Life which has barely opened in Phoenix I believe. Now the thing is I'd already had tentative plans to do some kind of security camera thing in the future so I'm actually kind of interested. I was basically thinking of just figuring out some kind of combination of cameras and router and apps on my own, but if the price is right I might do it. I didn't have time to flesh out all the answers or even think of questions so here's my thinking out loud:

*What happens when the contract is over, do I still pay the monthly fee or is it somehow free after that? I know that's like a dumb question but I didn't think about it till after I'd left and I don't remember it being stated. What happens if I cancel my contract? I know I keep the equipment but does that mean I can take a break from a monthly payment but then re-activate a year later if I want? Do my cameras become useless if I stop paying?

*How does this compare to actual security systems, don't they have you pay in perpetuity?

*I already have a cool thermostat system and don't care about the water portion of this, so it'd just be camera, security, and maybe door unlocking. Is there a similar DIY bundle that compares to this for the same price, or something that undercuts this by a lot but of course involves manual effort?

Does SA have a subforum I haven't found yet that covers home automation questions? I basically don't have any context for whether or not AT&T Digital Life is good stuff. Did Duckman ever do that write-up?

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 23, 2013

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

OldPueblo posted:

Digi life questions

When the contract is over, you can continue month to month or cancel without penalty. If you cancel your contract, you incur a $720 eft that declines every month.

So far as I know, the cameras can be used again.

I don't know if you can reactivate without contract. That wasn't in the training but I can investigate.

There are other DIY bundles out there, but it won't be ad subsidized.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldPueblo posted:

So I went into an AT&T store to ask about their Home Phone deal for my Mom, and I was assaulted body and soul by someone wanting to sell Digital Life which has barely opened in Phoenix I believe. Now the thing is I'd already had tentative plans to do some kind of security camera thing in the future so I'm actually kind of interested. I was basically thinking of just figuring out some kind of combination of cameras and router and apps on my own, but if the price is right I might do it. I didn't have time to flesh out all the answers or even think of questions so here's my thinking out loud:

*What happens when the contract is over, do I still pay the monthly fee or is it somehow free after that? I know that's like a dumb question but I didn't think about it till after I'd left and I don't remember it being stated. What happens if I cancel my contract? I know I keep the equipment but does that mean I can take a break from a monthly payment but then re-activate a year later if I want? Do my cameras become useless if I stop paying?

*How does this compare to actual security systems, don't they have you pay in perpetuity?

*I already have a cool thermostat system and don't care about the water portion of this, so it'd just be camera, security, and maybe door unlocking. Is there a similar DIY bundle that compares to this for the same price, or something that undercuts this by a lot but of course involves manual effort?

Does SA have a subforum I haven't found yet that covers home automation questions? I basically don't have any context for whether or not AT&T Digital Life is good stuff. Did Duckman ever do that write-up?

I just sent you a PM asking what your question was, and now I see this. Anyway:

You would be looking at a few things:

Equipment costs: $149 for security, $199 for camera package, $99-149 if you want the door

The camera package comes with 2 cameras, with the option of one of them being an outdoor camera if desired. The cameras stream live video, right now they can take pictures or set to take pictures at an automated time as well, but they do not record video. You can have up to 8 cameras at no extra monthly cost, but have to pay for any ala carte after camera #2.

Monthly breaks down by the following:
$39.99 for security
$9.99 for camera package
$4.99 for door

It is a two year contract as beef storm mentioned, all equipment does have a lifetime warranty through ATT. The cameras are designed with AT&T's system in mind, but you can probably fiddle with them if so desired. I wouldn't recommend canceling before 2 years though, that $720 declines $30 a month.

Feel free to PM or post any other questions. I'll try and write something up for the OP sometime this week or next.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I'll try and write something up for the OP sometime this week or next.

This would be awesome, thank you!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Why doesn't everyone just buy the Logitech Alert system for a webcam solution? We have 6 cameras in our home and it's fantastic. Free web/app viewing and real time alerts to your phone.

Got all hardware "refurbished" from eBay for ~$600. One time cost was worth it.

I'm sure the att thing is more robust but drat if I need more monthly bills.

stachatoryR
Aug 9, 2004
Hey guys I have a question about plans/upgrades:

I currently have a 4-line family plan broken down like so:
1: Mine: SG4 with Grandfathered unlimited data
2: Wifey: SG4 with 2gb data
3: Kid #1: some dumb phone with restrictions set on data (no data usage)
4: Kid #2: some dumb phone with restrictions set on data (no data usage)
1400 minutes & unlimited texting.
Our current bill runs around $260 - $270.

So for Christmas the wife and I have been talking about getting the kids smartphones/IPhones. I am looking at the mobile share stuff and it seems like it can save me some money, but I don't know if I want to give up my unlimited data. Is there anyway to do a partial mobile share plan or is that just stupid and I need to convert everything over and lose unlimited?

I don't really think I need the unlimited data, I'm just afraid of losing it for some reason. Also, the wife and I just did our upgrade +2yr a few months ago, so will that affect anything?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

stachatoryR posted:

Hey guys I have a question about plans/upgrades:

I currently have a 4-line family plan broken down like so:
1: Mine: SG4 with Grandfathered unlimited data
2: Wifey: SG4 with 2gb data
3: Kid #1: some dumb phone with restrictions set on data (no data usage)
4: Kid #2: some dumb phone with restrictions set on data (no data usage)
1400 minutes & unlimited texting.
Our current bill runs around $260 - $270.

So for Christmas the wife and I have been talking about getting the kids smartphones/IPhones. I am looking at the mobile share stuff and it seems like it can save me some money, but I don't know if I want to give up my unlimited data. Is there anyway to do a partial mobile share plan or is that just stupid and I need to convert everything over and lose unlimited?

I don't really think I need the unlimited data, I'm just afraid of losing it for some reason. Also, the wife and I just did our upgrade +2yr a few months ago, so will that affect anything?

I doubt you use that much data. You can always check on ATT's website, but you'd be surprised at how little most people use. GF had unlimited data and was adamant about keeping it; used about 500mb a month.

There is no way to do a partial mobile share plan. Your previous upgrades only affect when you two can get new phones; has nothing to do with the kids or plan changes.

10gb data, unlimited minutes/texting for all phones: 240 before taxes. That's probably one of the better plans for your family.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
There are always edge cases, but let me use my own personal family plan as an example. I have my wife, sister, sister-in-law (college), parents, brother and his wife all on my account. That's seven people, my job pays for mine. That's a pretty good sample of random people that all don't really do stuff the same way. Below is my last years worth of shared data usage, they all share 10GB (same plan mentioned above).

The most any one person has ever used over the last year is 3GB (probably May). People don't use as much as they think, and are probably on WiFi most of the time anyway. Only you know your usage pattern, but don't let losing unlimited stop you from getting a better deal. I didn't tell any of them not to stream when they're on the go, they do it as they need. I told them just remember we're all sharing and don't just stream for hours every day or leave it running. I'm pretty sure none of them check to see how much is left before making a decision as well, I'm fairly certain that's just typical use pattern for us. Oh and everyone pays about $49~ a month with my work discount, they paid a little less but we had someone move off the plan so it wasn't split eight ways anymore. I have to say AT&T share plans work pretty well if you get some family on board.

On a side note AT&T's new report thing is pretty drat awesome.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 24, 2013

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
This is kind of a really dumb thing, but I used to be a premier customer because I have a FAN, but I still have my FAN but my account doesn't go to premier customer support and it uses the normal AT&T store to buy phones (no free shipping). Is this a thing where FAN users are regular accounts now and don't go through premier or is this something I can bring up with AT&T?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Is there a fee for switching my regularly sized SIM for a microSIM (assuming the Nexus5 takes it)?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Siroc posted:

Is there a fee for switching my regularly sized SIM for a microSIM (assuming the Nexus5 takes it)?

At a COR location, no. It's free.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Beefstorm posted:

At a COR location, no. It's free.

Good news. I assume that's a corporate store? Not Bestbuy or something?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Siroc posted:

Good news. I assume that's a corporate store? Not Bestbuy or something?

Def best to go to a corporate store.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Yuriki posted:

This is kind of a really dumb thing, but I used to be a premier customer because I have a FAN, but I still have my FAN but my account doesn't go to premier customer support and it uses the normal AT&T store to buy phones (no free shipping). Is this a thing where FAN users are regular accounts now and don't go through premier or is this something I can bring up with AT&T?

Possibly. I've never used the premier site so I don't know.

Also, my coworker informed me yesterday that we can't match att.com prices at cor locations. But my last two managers told me we could. Any other reps able to shed light on this? Or maybe link me a csp article?

Coworker is an idiot. Nvm.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 28, 2013

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yuriki posted:

Every few (2?) years those FAN discounts get renegotiated. Verify with your HR department that the agreement is still active.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Possibly. I've never used the premier site so I don't know.

Also, my coworker informed me yesterday that we can't match att.com prices at cor locations. But my last two managers told me we could. Any other reps able to shed light on this? Or maybe link me a csp article?

Coworker is an idiot. Nvm.

COR stores can in theory do just about anything, it's just a matter of what the manager is willing to do budget wise and how it helps with goals (although discounting iPhones is pretty much a don't do it).

We won't match pricing for an upgrade, but for a new line your chances are better. Things like that.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
AT&T hosed up my FAN discount. The discount is 20% off of the primary line's plan, plus 20% off any data packages over $25.

My 3-person family plan is set up as shown below.

700 minutes - $60 (-$12 for FAN)
Unlimited family texting and mobile-to-mobile - $30
Line 1 - $10
Line 1 3GB data - $30 (-$6 for FAN)
Line 2 - $10
Line 2 3GB data - $30 (-$6 for FAN)
Line 3 - $10

I didn't notice, but for the past few months, I haven't been getting the $6 discount on Line 2. Now, most recently, I've also stopped getting the $6 discount on Line 1. To fix this, they want me to mail forms in and hope for the best. Seriously? You email me a form to mail in to my corporate email address that validates my FAN?

I'm ready to just tell them to go gently caress themselves and switch to T-Mobile. Even with eating the ETF I'd still come out ahead after a few months. Who knows why I haven't done this already.

Check your bills people!

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pissingintowind posted:

AT&T hosed up my FAN discount. The discount is 20% off of the primary line's plan, plus 20% off any data packages over $25.

Line 1 - $10
Line 2 - $10
Line 3 - $10

I didn't notice, but for the past few months, I haven't been getting the $6 discount on Line 2. Now, most recently, I've also stopped getting the $6 discount on Line 1. To fix this, they want me to mail forms in and hope for the best. Seriously? You email me a form to mail in to my corporate email address that validates my FAN?

I'm ready to just tell them to go gently caress themselves and switch to T-Mobile. Even with eating the ETF I'd still come out ahead after a few months. Who knows why I haven't done this already.

Check your bills people!

Show me the request to have you validate your employment status.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

obeyasia posted:

Show me the request to have you validate your employment status.

https://mycsp.cingular.com/mycsp/externalcontent/Static_Files/Attachment/Bill/Account%20Handling/IRU%20FAN%20Discount%20App_ENG%20053113.pdf

edit: can forward you the email if you want. The retention person I spoke to sent it to me after saying they can't help until I mail it in.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 30, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pissingintowind posted:

Line 1 - $10
Line 2 - $10
Line 3 - $10

Check your bills people!

I would have to see the FAN offers and such, but very very few FAN discounts offer a discount on the $30 for 3GB plan. As in, even the ones that used to have been renogiated now where they don't.

So for pretty much anyone, I would tell them that the grandfathered $25 2GB plan gets the discount, and the $30 unlimited plan does too. But not the 3GB one unless its a very specific circumstance.

Sorry to hear it, and fingers crossed it is both legit (aka the FAN wasn't renegotiated) and it gets fixed if so. But just for the record, most people should not expect discounts there, and for better or worse both sprint and Verizon work discounts the same way.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
So will AT&T try to do anything to keep me as a customer or should I just leave?

Assuming my FAN got renegotiated and I won't be able to get the $12/month discount for the two data plans, I'm paying $168/month before taxes. T-Mobile can get me effectively the same plan except with included tethering and unlimited minutes PLUS international data roaming for $85/month before taxes. Even paying my pro-rated ETF ($225*3 = $675), it makes sense to leave AT&T.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pissingintowind posted:

So will AT&T try to do anything to keep me as a customer or should I just leave?

Assuming my FAN got renegotiated and I won't be able to get the $12/month discount for the two data plans, I'm paying $168/month before taxes. T-Mobile can get me effectively the same plan except with included tethering and unlimited minutes PLUS international data roaming for $85/month before taxes. Even paying my pro-rated ETF ($225*3 = $675), it makes sense to leave AT&T.

If it's a renegotiated FAN I doubt they will do anything. You can always call and ask for cancellations, doesn't hurt to ask. I wouldn't expect much though.

Which TMo data plan are you quoting? Just curious.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
My wife has an iPhone 4 16 GB that's contract is well past over. I was going to surprise her this week with a 5c. Should I skip the surprise part and have her take the phone to the store for trade in? If I can take it in later for a bill credit that's cool too. Don't know if I want to deal with eBay or Craigslist unless that gets me way more money.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the old phone, since it seems the iPhone 4 is still holding its value pretty well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Devo posted:

My wife has an iPhone 4 16 GB that's contract is well past over. I was going to surprise her this week with a 5c. Should I skip the surprise part and have her take the phone to the store for trade in? If I can take it in later for a bill credit that's cool too. Don't know if I want to deal with eBay or Craigslist unless that gets me way more money.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the old phone, since it seems the iPhone 4 is still holding its value pretty well.

Right now the phone trades in for $118, and that can change come Nov 1st. Not by much usually, but it will probably go down a few dollars.

That being said, phones aren't a good thing to surprise people with anyway. I always advise making the "surprise" being "hey we are going to the ATT store now." That way she sees and picks the phone and color herself.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Well I was planning on spending :10bux:x10 anyway, so if it trades in for that much I might just take her to the store and see if she wants a 5s instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My sister/brother-in-law have AT&T phones through work. They're looking for a security system and I told them about Digital Life. Can they get it billed separately from the work phones? Since they can't just add it to the phone bill. I literally have no idea how it works. I figured I'd ask here since according to you guys it's the big push right now.