Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Weinertron posted:

There's $6k of incentive from Chevy on 2013 Volts right now, and $7500 extra refund from Uncle Sam. $33k before the tax break for sure on the non-premium Volts.

Holy poo poo that's a good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I've had my eye on these for a while, 90% sure it will be my next car. Did you but any chance test drive any of the 2.0 models? I keep going back and forth about whether the extra2 or 3 grand is worth it for the more power and more tech stuff, plus the fact that the 2.5 doesn't come with a manual yet. I guess I'd just like any of your thoughts on the car in general, if that's cool.

I actually didn't drive the 2.0 unfortunately. I was really mostly just interested in the S Grand Touring. I drive a ton for work so the creature comforts and features that came with that trim appealed to me. That and I'm coming from an EX35 which is about the same size, but obviously has way more power and I know I'd have been disappointed with the smaller engine, even if it's only 30hp.

On to my general thoughts. I was really impressed with the car, especially compared to it's main direct competition, the Focus hatchback. The top trim focus isn't nearly as nice all around as the Mazda3 in my opinion. The seats are much nicer in the Mazda, the interior materials feel better, the new entertainment system in the Mazda is FAR superior in terms of usability and I thought it drove better all around too. The big difference is price though. you can get a Focus Titanium for around 23-24k whereas the Mazda S Grand touring is about 27k. To me, it's a really nice car for the money though. They really set their goals high with it, you can tell they aimed at the more luxury vehicles rather than trying to just edge out the likely competitors. The rear end is definitely EX35 and the front is clearly Audi inspired. All in all, it's a huge improvement over the 2013.

The only dumb thing I wish it had is the homelink garage door opener system. Apparently it's an option in every trim but the S Grand Touring, I have no idea why. It's not a big deal, but I've had it in my last two cars and it's nice not having an actual garage door opener, plus I have more than one house programmed in there, so I won't be able to do that now.

I'm curious to see how I like the adaptive xenon headlights, I didn't get to drive it at night.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

CornHolio posted:

[modedit, EPW 5/21/2012] This thread used to be in BFC and was focused on the financial aspects of buying a car. With its move to A/T, I'm adding some guidelines:
1. READ THE OP!
2. If you need a car recommendation, tell us what you're looking for in a car. Here is a template for you to fill out:
Proposed Budget:
New or Used:
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?)
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot.
[/modedit]
1.) Done
Situation: Just got my California state driver's license (at 24 years old, hooray). Basically looking for a beater to get to/from work with and around town with. Proposed budget is LAUGHABLE. Say about $1,500 dollars or so, so craigslisting it up, baby. I know that because I am a petite woman, I'll likely get jerked around by dudes who assume that I don't know jack poo poo about cars (I don't!)and plan to take a buddy who knows cars with me on any excursions to look at cars. Right now I'm looking at subarus, which I adore but are probably way out of my budget, voltswagens, and Hondas. I prefer a compact car, verses something like an SUV. Also, CA has a smogging requirement so a lot of repair work is going to be unfeasible with what I have saved.
So to reiterate:
Budget: about 1,500. Under that would be fan-loving-tastic.[/b]
New or used Used, obviously. I feel like buying a new car would be an utter waste of money because of the depreciation in value. Would *possibly* consider going to a dealer, just depends on the warranty etc.
Body Style 2 door is fine, but would prefer 4 door. Compact or midsized would be preferred.
How will you be using the car? To get from point A to B. Long trips will be out of the question for a while, until I'm a little more comfortable. I will not be hauling or towing anything.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Don't care.
What aspects are important to you? Reliability and cheap parts/labor costs really and something that can pass smogging.

So, Goons, help me out here. I don't know what I'm doing :razz:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

1500 dollars probably isn't going to get you a car that doesn't need immediate work. Years ago when I needed a cheap beater the least expensive car I found set me back about 1900. I put another 700 in parts and labor into it to get it to a state of "the brakes won't give out on me and probably won't leave me stranded somewhere".

I did get 2 solid years out of that car with only minimal upkeep though before I moved on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Big Whoop posted:

Budget: about 1,500. Under that would be fan-loving-tastic.[/b]

You want to look for reliable-enough cars that are outwardly undesirable. A Buick LeSabre or Park Avenue with the 3.8L V6 would be great for this, but could be hard to find that cheap. If you want a smaller car and are willing to drive stick, a 1999–2005 Hyundai Accent would get the job done, but I wouldn't buy one with an automatic. If you're open to driving stick in general it gets you into a lot more cheap reliable cars, like Nissan Sentras.

I'm not certain about your local car market, but in my part of the US $1500 is not enough money for a car that will run 20k miles without mechanical work. I think the trick is finding a car that needs things that are cheap (brakes, accessory belts, new windshield) vs a car that needs things that are expensive (head gaskets, transmission rebuild or replacement).

Really though, in that price range I think you'll have to buy whatever you stumble on and just hope it's not a 90s Taurus with a dying transmission.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am considering replacing my 2008 BMW 750Li. It has ~72k miles and will be running out of warranty in the next few months. I own it outright. I have many data points that suggest it is rather unwise to keep a seven series past its warranty, but we can discuss that here (looking for advice). Am also considering a mid sized luxo-sedan thread in AI, but hope to have some dialog here first before making a mega post somewhere else.

Proposed Budget: <$80k
New or Used: Probably new, trade in +cash (again, debate and advice here would be interesting)
Body Style: Mid-size or large sedan
How will you be using the car?: Irregular work commute (outside sales), anywhere from 50-300 mile round trips for work, sometimes carpooling/driving around customers or people I work with. Also weekend family duty, including a car seat (a car seat lives in my current car behind the driver's seat). Weather is not an issue in SoCal (no snow/ice concerns).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes (notes below). Absolutely MUST have ventilated seats.
What aspects are most important to you? I am 6'4", so room and comfort are paramount. I have a very large car now, maybe a little too big. The big back seat of the 750Li is totally awesome, and I do drive people around for work sometimes, and that is rather nice. The giant trunk has also been awesome. Power is also important, and I would take more horses/torques over less. I want something that is both fun (enough) to drive and good for long hauls on the freeway. I do not want an isolated, disconnected experience from the road, but I also want decent comfort for the people I drive around. The 7 was a great balance in that regard.

Background I bought the 750 in early 2010 as a CPO model. I love it, and it has been great to drive, but I am the least handy person I know and fear it is a ticking time bomb of maintenance. I have the comfort, ventilated seats and premium sound, and those set the bar high for whatever follows. I certainly have the option to just keep the 750, but I think its best to replace it, and have spousal approval to get something new. My better half is a CPA and is staunchly against leasing, and prefers to keep cars 8-10 years. She currently has a 2008 BMW 535 wagon, it only has 45k miles (I put on the first 30k or so), and she will probably keep it several more years.

New or used? I got the 750 CPO on a killer deal, like $42k out the door, and it has been incredible but I am not sure I want to get a nice CPO sedan again knowing that I will just have to ditch it that much sooner as it gets to be high miles. My mileage is pretty unpredictable as well, given the nature of my work and territory I cover. Some years I'll to under 10k miles, others 18k+. As for new, there are some improvements to the '14 models I am considering.

The Contenders
'14 BMW 550i Probably my front runner right now. Need to go drive one and see the rear seat and trunk situation. I've heard it is bigger than the last gen, which is good because my one issue was a kind of tight back seat. Can get the comfort seats with ventilation like the 750 and the HK stereo which I love as well.
'14 Cadillac CTS Vsport (would only consider the vsport) Really interesting in this. I have had plenty of rental CTSs (not the sporty ones of course) and again they were tighter in back like the previous 5 series, and a little lethargic. The '14 Vsport seems to address all of those things. Plus magnetic ride is interesting Plus my employer extends whatever partner pricing through GM, so that could save a little money. Worried about CUE.
'14 Cadillac XTS Vsport I have had some rental '14 Impalas and have been very impressed with them. Nice rear seat room and trunk, decent power (though some torque steer). Totally maddening touch screen though. God news is the XTS is pretty much the same thing as the Impala, but better. The XTS having a better engine, AWD to help counter the torque steer (maybe), and nicer interior. Means its worth looking at.
Audi S6 or A7 I figure at this price point the Audi products are worth considering. Not sure what the ownership and service/maintenance experience is compared to BMW. Where I am the BMW and Audi dealership I would use for servicing are next to each other, and I do like that with BMW I show up at the appointed time, tell them what I need, and get into a free loaner car and go on my merry way. I can get the employer pricing for Audi/VW, so there may be some savings compared to BMW here as well (in addition to just being $5k cheaper to start anyways). Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.
MB E Class - off the table, I have ridden in and driven plenty of these to know they aren't for me
Jaguar Lol, no. The XJL is beautiful (also too expensive) but reliability would be a major issue
Hyundai Genesis/Equus When I bought the 750 it came down to a CPO 08 750Li and a new '10 Genesis V8. I bought the used BMW. I will look at how things have changed, but I would guess that the germans still edge out the koreans. I don't think this will be the case in another few years.
Lexus G When Lexus redesigned the G I got to do some extensive focus group testing. The design of the exterior and interior really rubbed me the wrong way. Nice car, but I totally hated the mouse thing and screen interface. Also completely boring to drive, but maybe I had one with the wrong options to be at all fun or engaging?
What else should I look at?The Car Max discussion earlier in this thread was interesting. Turns out there is a '13 BMW M5 with 8k miles for $80k. Should I look at that and take the CarMax warranty and abuse the hell out of it?

Are there other things that I'm just not thinking of?

Any thoughts or opinions on the things I list above?

Do I need to make a long thread with more detail in AI, since there isn't really a luxo sedan comparison thread?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do I need to make a long thread with more detail in AI, since there isn't really a luxo sedan comparison thread?

I'd say make a thread about it, and my two cents is that you should go drive an A7 based on the one I've ridden in seeming more like an S-class/7 series competitor than an E-class or 5.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^If he's concerned about rear seat space and baby seats then I'm not sure there's much point going for the fastback/coupe version with less rear space/headroom over the regular sedan? The A/S8 would be mechanically identical anyway.

If your only concern with the 550 is the rear seating area and you currently own and like a 7 series, then congratulations(?) you are one of the 8 people in the country who is the target market for the 550 GT. It's basically a 7 series hatch, with the wheelbase of the 7, the rear seats of the 7 with optional ventilated rear seats, the higher roofline and rear headroom of the X5 which is convenient for babby stuff and all for a slightly higher price than a 5, or so they thought anyway. Reality is that it's been so unpopular that they can't give them away for much more than way below invoice and you can probably get one for cheaper than an equivalent 5 series which is all right I guess (new BMWs are kind of expensive to begin with so meh).

Counterpoint: No one buys them because they look like dumb clown cars.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

^^^If he's concerned about rear seat space and baby seats then I'm not sure there's much point going for the fastback/coupe version with less rear space/headroom over the regular sedan? The A/S8 would be mechanically identical anyway.

If your only concern with the 550 is the rear seating area and you currently own and like a 7 series, then congratulations(?) you are one of the 8 people in the country who is the target market for the 550 GT. It's basically a 7 series hatch, with the wheelbase of the 7, the rear seats of the 7 with optional ventilated rear seats, the higher roofline and rear headroom of the X5 which is convenient for babby stuff and all for a slightly higher price than a 5, or so they thought anyway. Reality is that it's been so unpopular that they can't give them away for much more than way below invoice and you can probably get one for cheaper than an equivalent 5 series which is all right I guess (new BMWs are kind of expensive to begin with so meh).

Counterpoint: No one buys them because they look like dumb clown cars.

I almost meant to include the GT. Almost.

The 535 wagon it would sit next to in the garage would weep silently all night long at the horror of the thing.

Edit: Thread is here.

Ultimate Mango fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 30, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Proposed Budget ~$8-10k, could go a bit higher in a pinch (maybe)
New or Used Used
Body Style Either a wagon, SUV or truck
Use Hauling bikes, skis, and driving across country to pursue the aforementioned activities.
Most important aspects I'm looking for in this vehicle are (in order of descending importance):

-Reliability: I take long trips. I don't want to get stranded in the middle of the desert or on a lonely mountain pass in the dead of winter.
-Large cargo area: on the small side, an outback would work fine, but a forester might be a little too small. More space is better. I want to be able to toss a mountain bike in the cargo area and just go. I've always owned coupes or sedans and used roof racks and I'm sick of it - I want my bike inside and secured (whether this means in the car or in a pickup bed with a topper I don't really care.)
-Manual transmission: this isn't up for debate, I will only purchase a vehicle with a stick because I like the feeling of stability and connectedness to the road, and the ability to select which gear I want and have it be in that gear immediately.
-4 wheel or all wheel drive. I've traveled all over the mountain west in blizzard conditions with fwd cars equipped with snow tires. This works fine, but I want to step up my game, and be able to go on gnarlier mountain roads to access better terrain.
-MPG; I would like to see at least ~20 on the freeway.
-Region of origin: asia. I really, really don't trust domestics or euro cars, though maybe someone here can convince me otherwise - I'm open to any suggestions!

Comedy requirement: I would LOVE a diesel but apparently the automakers know better than me and finding a diesel that fits my other requirements is impossible (mainly the manual transmission and reliability requirements - no I do not want a BMW or a VW, I've owned a german car before and once was enough!) It seems like as far as trucks go you need to go to 2500 or 3500 size to get a diesel and even then they often have very, very suspect reliability.

So there you have it; can anyone think of good vehicles that meet this description? I am currently looking at: subarus, toyota tundra/tacoma, and the odd ford f150 but I'm not sure I trust fords once they hit 100k miles. What other vehicles should I investigate? I would love an SUV that meets these requirements but it seems that finding a decent newish suv with a stick is simply impossible.

For reference my last car was a 2000 Toyota Camry V6 5speed which was pretty awesome but had some repairs come up that would have cost much more than it was worth. I sold it with 235k miles on it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 30, 2013

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are there other things that I'm just not thinking of?

Any thoughts or opinions on the things I list above?

Comedy option, Chevrolet SS. Very similar dimensions and power to a BMW 550i or CTS Vsport, 20k cheaper, really well equipped for the price, going to be a lot more reliable and cheaper to fix, awesome chassis, easy to have someone put a supercharger on there for 100+ added HP/TQ.

On the downside, it'll take you months to get one and well, its a Chevy and it looks slightly plain in silver.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Proposed Budget: $800 a month
New or Used: New, or very lightly used
Body Style: Wagon/cuv
How will you be using the car?: see below

I want to replace my B2200 truck. Its my every day car at the moment as my wrx doesn't really cut it for a daily.
Its burning oil and the seats aren't very comfortable. I had a new durango and a new grand cherokee rental for a few months for work, and figured out that new cars are nice.
The truck is kind of nice to toss things in the back of, but I figure I can manage with my trailer instead.
Probably going to lease so I can get a new one in 4 years, but if that's a terrible idea I could purchase I guess.

So my needs:

Can tow 3500+ lbs, can take electric trailer brakes
Automatic transmission
5-7 seats (Two adults, theoretical childs, and 2 60 lbs dogs)
Minimal maintenance

Wants:

proximity key
gizmos and doodads
reasonable gas milage
Navigation
4wd

I was set on a new hybrid highlander. They are 52k here in canada. Lease on that is $850 a month, which is kind of excessive.

I then looked at the 2014 Pathfinders, and they are cheaper, with reasonable gas milage compared to the Highlander. They are nicely appointed, and only $630 a month for a lease.

I test drove the Edge, and it had nice doodads, but a little small.
The Grand Cherokees are ridiculously expensive.
The Hyundai one is the same price, and I haven't gone and looked at it.

Am I missing a car that I should go look at? Does someone make a wagon that can tow something heavy that I could use instead? Is the Pathfinders CVT going to explode?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Proposed Budget ~$8-10k, could go a bit higher in a pinch (maybe)
New or Used Used
Body Style Either a wagon, SUV or truck
Use Hauling bikes, skis, and driving across country to pursue the aforementioned activities.
Most important aspects I'm looking for in this vehicle are (in order of descending importance):

-Reliability: I take long trips. I don't want to get stranded in the middle of the desert or on a lonely mountain pass in the dead of winter.
-Large cargo area: on the small side, an outback would work fine, but a forester might be a little too small. More space is better. I want to be able to toss a mountain bike in the cargo area and just go. I've always owned coupes or sedans and used roof racks and I'm sick of it - I want my bike inside and secured (whether this means in the car or in a pickup bed with a topper I don't really care.)
-Manual transmission: this isn't up for debate, I will only purchase a vehicle with a stick because I like the feeling of stability and connectedness to the road, and the ability to select which gear I want and have it be in that gear immediately.
-4 wheel or all wheel drive. I've traveled all over the mountain west in blizzard conditions with fwd cars equipped with snow tires. This works fine, but I want to step up my game, and be able to go on gnarlier mountain roads to access better terrain.
-MPG; I would like to see at least ~20 on the freeway.
-Region of origin: asia. I really, really don't trust domestics or euro cars, though maybe someone here can convince me otherwise - I'm open to any suggestions!

Comedy requirement: I would LOVE a diesel but apparently the automakers know better than me and finding a diesel that fits my other requirements is impossible (mainly the manual transmission and reliability requirements - no I do not want a BMW or a VW, I've owned a german car before and once was enough!) It seems like as far as trucks go you need to go to 2500 or 3500 size to get a diesel and even then they often have very, very suspect reliability.

So there you have it; can anyone think of good vehicles that meet this description? I am currently looking at: subarus, toyota tundra/tacoma, and the odd ford f150 but I'm not sure I trust fords once they hit 100k miles. What other vehicles should I investigate? I would love an SUV that meets these requirements but it seems that finding a decent newish suv with a stick is simply impossible.

For reference my last car was a 2000 Toyota Camry V6 5speed which was pretty awesome but had some repairs come up that would have cost much more than it was worth. I sold it with 235k miles on it.

Since all the domestics stopped making trucks with sticks years ago other than the 3/4t Ram, you're not looking at that much choice. I think a Nissan Frontier would work, it's essentially a slightly shittier Tacoma with worse resale value.

blindjoe posted:

Proposed Budget: $800 a month
New or Used: New, or very lightly used
Body Style: Wagon/cuv
How will you be using the car?: see below

I want to replace my B2200 truck. Its my every day car at the moment as my wrx doesn't really cut it for a daily.
Its burning oil and the seats aren't very comfortable. I had a new durango and a new grand cherokee rental for a few months for work, and figured out that new cars are nice.
The truck is kind of nice to toss things in the back of, but I figure I can manage with my trailer instead.
Probably going to lease so I can get a new one in 4 years, but if that's a terrible idea I could purchase I guess.

So my needs:

Can tow 3500+ lbs, can take electric trailer brakes
Automatic transmission
5-7 seats (Two adults, theoretical childs, and 2 60 lbs dogs)
Minimal maintenance

Wants:

proximity key
gizmos and doodads
reasonable gas milage
Navigation
4wd

I was set on a new hybrid highlander. They are 52k here in canada. Lease on that is $850 a month, which is kind of excessive.

I then looked at the 2014 Pathfinders, and they are cheaper, with reasonable gas milage compared to the Highlander. They are nicely appointed, and only $630 a month for a lease.

I test drove the Edge, and it had nice doodads, but a little small.
The Grand Cherokees are ridiculously expensive.
The Hyundai one is the same price, and I haven't gone and looked at it.

Am I missing a car that I should go look at? Does someone make a wagon that can tow something heavy that I could use instead? Is the Pathfinders CVT going to explode?

The Highlander hybrid's tow capacity of 3500lbs is right on the edge of what you need and you should always have a bit of room when it comes to towing. I would say a Dodge Durango which can tow 7400lbs and is otherwise very nice. You can also try out the V6 Ford Explorer, Ford Flex, Lincoln MKT, or one of the GM Lambdas (Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The lease on my current Hyundai Elantra is over in May 2014. I'll have a budget of $20k-$25k and I want to buy used. I'm trying to choose between a 2009-2010 BMW 135 and a 2009-2011 Dodge Challenger R/T. I've looked at Carmax because I like the no haggle approach and some of the dealers have these vehicles in my price range or very close to it.

The big question for me is what can I expect in maintenance for these cars? Any problem areas in either that I should look for/ask about? I've never owned a BMW before, but I'd expect any German import repair or maintenance cost to be higher. My only experience with American cars has been a 93 Mustang I bought used in 95 and a 92 Camaro I bought used in 97, both of which were utter pieces of garbage, so I hope that American muscle has gotten more reliable since then. Since then I've had a Civic for 13 years that had no serious issues (read expensive repairs) in 250k miles and my current Elantra which has had no issues in 40k miles.

If there's another reliable 2 door performance coupe/hatch in that price let me know. I'd consider an 3.2 A4 quattro as well but they're more difficult to find.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Ultimate Mango posted:

The Car Max discussion earlier in this thread was interesting. Turns out there is a '13 BMW M5 with 8k miles for $80k. Should I look at that and take the CarMax warranty and abuse the hell out of it?

gently caress yes you should.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cacafuego posted:

The lease on my current Hyundai Elantra is over in May 2014. I'll have a budget of $20k-$25k and I want to buy used. I'm trying to choose between a 2009-2010 BMW 135 and a 2009-2011 Dodge Challenger R/T. I've looked at Carmax because I like the no haggle approach and some of the dealers have these vehicles in my price range or very close to it.

The big question for me is what can I expect in maintenance for these cars? Any problem areas in either that I should look for/ask about? I've never owned a BMW before, but I'd expect any German import repair or maintenance cost to be higher. My only experience with American cars has been a 93 Mustang I bought used in 95 and a 92 Camaro I bought used in 97, both of which were utter pieces of garbage, so I hope that American muscle has gotten more reliable since then. Since then I've had a Civic for 13 years that had no serious issues (read expensive repairs) in 250k miles and my current Elantra which has had no issues in 40k miles.

If there's another reliable 2 door performance coupe/hatch in that price let me know. I'd consider an 3.2 A4 quattro as well but they're more difficult to find.

Civic Si. It's not clear whether you are OK with a 4 door hatch, but the Ford Focus ST and Fiesta ST have been getting pretty rave reviews. Brand new though so not on the used market yet. Stuff like the WRx/STi aren't horribly unreliable in stock form but are kind of dodgy on the used market given their population of owners.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Civic Si. It's not clear whether you are OK with a 4 door hatch, but the Ford Focus ST and Fiesta ST have been getting pretty rave reviews. Brand new though so not on the used market yet. Stuff like the WRx/STi aren't horribly unreliable in stock form but are kind of dodgy on the used market given their population of owners.

I was specifically worried with used Civic Si's and WRXs because they tend to be driven to destruction or modified by idiots. I'm not really fond of the 4 door hatch. If offered in a 2 door, they'd be among my first choice. How has Ford's reliability been the last few years? I've been drooling over the Euro A3/S3 3 door hatch for almost 10 years and was excited to hear about the A3 coming here, only to be disappointed to see it in 4 and 5 door spec. My kingdom for a 2 door hot hatch (that's not a girl car like the Abarth).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cacafuego posted:

I was specifically worried with used Civic Si's and WRXs because they tend to be driven to destruction or modified by idiots. I'm not really fond of the 4 door hatch. If offered in a 2 door, they'd be among my first choice. How has Ford's reliability been the last few years? I've been drooling over the Euro A3/S3 3 door hatch for almost 10 years and was excited to hear about the A3 coming here, only to be disappointed to see it in 4 and 5 door spec. My kingdom for a 2 door hot hatch (that's not a girl car like the Abarth).

I think the Civic Si should be a good bet, the drivetrains are bullet proof of course and they don't have forced induction so there's not really that much the idiots can do to them outside of dumb wheels and body kits and such. It should be easy to spot the bad ones.

RX-8 if you're comfortable with the rotary lifestyle.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I didn't know this was a thing until now but apparently you can get a Kia Forte coupe with a 200hp 1.6l turbo and a 6 speed manual for $19k.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1310_2014_kia_forte_koup_sx_t_gdi_first_test/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think the RX-8 is a great choice used because who knows what kind of poo poo has been done to it. Unless you're buying it from a hard-core rotard who did all the special snowflake rotary things to the car.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
What is everyone's thoughts on Hyundai? Consumer reports rated the 2013 Elentra GLS with a higher overall rating the Civic/Corolla and rated the reliability as above average - the same rating the Civic got.

JD Power and Associates also rated Hyundai (as the overall brand) with 106/100 def in 2013 Initial Quality. Honda scored 103/100. Lower is better.

Are these newer Hyundai cars considered to be pretty reliable now?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

DanManIt posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on Hyundai? Consumer reports rated the 2013 Elentra GLS with a higher overall rating the Civic/Corolla and rated the reliability as above average - the same rating the Civic got.

JD Power and Associates also rated Hyundai (as the overall brand) with 106/100 def in 2013 Initial Quality. Honda scored 103/100. Lower is better.

Well how much can anyone really know about a car that's 6 months old? If you're buying a 2013 car, well Hyundais have 5 year 100k mile warranties, it's about the best you can hope for really.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Well how much can anyone really know about a car that's 6 months old? If you're buying a 2013 car, well Hyundais have 5 year 100k mile warranties, it's about the best you can hope for really.

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering if anyone can comment on Hyundai cars that are actually around the 5 yr mark cause that would be more illuminating than Initial or 3-yr studies like I've been seeing.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

DanManIt posted:

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering if anyone can comment on Hyundai cars that are actually around the 5 yr mark cause that would be more illuminating than Initial or 3-yr studies like I've been seeing.

I think the problem is that Hyundai's that are 5years old are vastly different to what they are now.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^^ Definitely. When I see the late 2000s Sonatas, they look like completely different cars.

DanManIt posted:

I drive a 2010 Hyundai Sonata and it's hands-down the best car I've ever owned. No maintenance issues, still runs great, and feels/drives like a car that costs a lot more than it did.

Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

I weigh in tonight at an astonishing 242 lbs. From Green Bay Wisconsin, MISTER KENNEDY!!!!!!! KENNEDY...
Proposed Budget: $6-$7k
New or Used:Used is fine.
Body Style: 4 doors is fine. sedan or compact is ok. Not more than 2 people and a small dog at most.
How will you be using the car?:I mainly drive about 4-6 miles every other day. I work from home and dont leave the house much. I would love to go on a small road trip with friends if possible. But thats not really a reason to get the car.
What aspects are most important to you? Realistically all i want is a car with AC, Heat, working power windows and doors. I really dont need much since i rarely drive the car. I just want something that i wont burn in summer or freeze in winter with.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
I am looking to get rid of my current car, g37, and move into something more gas efficient/cheaper. I would like to keep the price around 10,000. I have looked at all kinds of cars but toyota corolla or camry seem to be about what I would be looking for. If I could find a v6 manual accord that would be nice also.

One thing I have noticed is that all the "legitimate" franchise dealerships will not keep many vehicles of this age. And whenever I search on craigs list for these makes/years its always the sketchy dealerships that have them in stock.

If possible I would even like to spend less than 10k If I was able to get a reliable, comfortable, safe vehicle. Im pretty open to model/make/color/options. Any recommendations?

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012
Proposed Budget: 35K

New or Used: Doesn't Matter, Prefer new though

Body Style: This is the tough part for me, I would love a fun coupe but being 6'5'' and 300 pounds I don't fit in your typical Miata's and S2000's. I want something fun for canyon runs and occasional track days, but something reliable for daily commute.

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver plus weekend fun car. I drive in rush hour traffic during the week for an hour each way. I do road trips sometimes in my current car (2011 300) but I wont have a problem finding someone else to drive. May be moving further east so AWD would be great.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and fun car to drive. I dont mind doing maintenance and general up keeping. I want to also have the ability to mod my car when it comes to performance. Biggest issue is as above I am a big guy so most sporty coupes I wont fit in.

Live in SoCal, USA

Let me know if more info is needed.

I was thinking of a used B8 S4 or B8 S5 but wanted some input from others to make sure I am not missing other great cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Are you very particular about either 2 doors or manual transmissions?

If you can live with 4 doors, Evo X?

If you can live with just RWD, Challenger SRT8?

Comedy option: ~2007 BMW M6.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012
2 or 4 doors is fine and while I dont drive manual now I want to learn either way.

I was thinking Evo or STI, with the new STI coming out in 2015 I was thinking of waiting for that.

I also like the new 2015 Mustang, I would get the GT of course but I dont yet know if I will fit.

I wouldnt mind something like an older M BMW or S Audi.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I'd like to buy a used car and sell in a couple years.
What's a simple (or nicer) car that retains its value over time?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Miata, Jeep Wrangler, Lotus Elise/Exige.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jam2 posted:

I'd like to buy a used car and sell in a couple years.
What's a simple (or nicer) car that retains its value over time?

We really need more guidance than this. What price range, what body style? Because if you just want a car that will be worth the same or more when you sell it as it is now, I'd have to suggest an air-cooled Porsche 911.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Throatwarbler posted:

Miata, Jeep Wrangler, Lotus Elise/Exige.

This is incredible. Thank you.

I'd like to add that if you bought a VW bug when they first came out, they have actually gone up in value over time, get one of those.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Indecision1991 posted:

Proposed Budget: 35K

New or Used: Doesn't Matter, Prefer new though

Body Style: This is the tough part for me, I would love a fun coupe but being 6'5'' and 300 pounds I don't fit in your typical Miata's and S2000's. I want something fun for canyon runs and occasional track days, but something reliable for daily commute.

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver plus weekend fun car. I drive in rush hour traffic during the week for an hour each way. I do road trips sometimes in my current car (2011 300) but I wont have a problem finding someone else to drive. May be moving further east so AWD would be great.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and fun car to drive. I dont mind doing maintenance and general up keeping. I want to also have the ability to mod my car when it comes to performance. Biggest issue is as above I am a big guy so most sporty coupes I wont fit in.

Live in SoCal, USA

Let me know if more info is needed.

I was thinking of a used B8 S4 or B8 S5 but wanted some input from others to make sure I am not missing other great cars.

BMW 335d.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
A little bit of a selfless plug here, but we just got our first 2014 Honda accord hybrid. Only one we are getting for a couple months. Anyone in oregon that has been waiting for one, let me know. I didn't even know we were getting one and then 'poof' we had one dropped off this morning.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Weinertron posted:

We really need more guidance than this. What price range, what body style? Because if you just want a car that will be worth the same or more when you sell it as it is now, I'd have to suggest an air-cooled Porsche 911.

Hatchback or 4-door midsize sedan under $25K please

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Juando290 posted:

A little bit of a selfless plug here, but we just got our first 2014 Honda accord hybrid. Only one we are getting for a couple months. Anyone in oregon that has been waiting for one, let me know. I didn't even know we were getting one and then 'poof' we had one dropped off this morning.

I want to drive one but I'm in the Carolinas. Can you post a write up in AI proper?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jam2 posted:

Hatchback or 4-door midsize sedan under $25K please

None of those things hold value because they're all commodities but I seem to recall the Fit holding value like woah for a while, don't know I'd that's still true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

None of those things hold value because they're all commodities but I seem to recall the Fit holding value like woah for a while, don't know I'd that's still true.

What things to hold value? I'm open to adjusting my choice parameters to better serve the goal of finding a car that will hold its value.