Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Secondly, the Boulder, CO police decided that smoking on your front porch is considered a private place and is allowed so maybe it's not as clear-cut as you want it to be?

Ok, if it isnt as 'clear-cut' as I want it to be apparently, then why are you dishing out outdoor home grow advice to someone who not only is in a different municipality than you, but actually an entirely different state completely. You gave bad advice and then backed it up with completely inaccurate legal advice.

I am personally over the moon that you have been able to grow outside, in your backyard, in view of your neighbors who are obviously cool people. But it doesnt change the fact that what you are doing is illegal and you should probably refrain from telling people who want to acquire pot through legal means how to do it illegaly.

In addition, if you know anything at all about growing outdoors, then you would know the ancillary risks involved in letting the entire neighborhood know you are growing a commodity in your back yard. People get murdered over their outdoor crops and keeping a visible one outside your house is beyond retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Edgar v. MITE Corp is probably the most important case, as well as Gonzales v. Raich. There's zero chance that Congress would actually do such a thing though, seeing as how they're fine with letting states place additional regulations on alcohol and tobacco.
a fairly recent preemption SCOTUS case dealing with the preemption in 15 USC 1334. the SCOTUS limited its scope in Altria Group v. Good

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Limastock posted:

Ok, if it isnt as 'clear-cut' as I want it to be apparently, then why are you dishing out outdoor home grow advice to someone who not only is in a different municipality than you, but actually an entirely different state completely. You gave bad advice and then backed it up with completely inaccurate legal advice.

I am personally over the moon that you have been able to grow outside, in your backyard, in view of your neighbors who are obviously cool people. But it doesnt change the fact that what you are doing is illegal and you should probably refrain from telling people who want to acquire pot through legal means how to do it illegaly.

In addition, if you know anything at all about growing outdoors, then you would know the ancillary risks involved in letting the entire neighborhood know you are growing a commodity in your back yard. People get murdered over their outdoor crops and keeping a visible one outside your house is beyond retarded.
Two reasons. Firstly, yes I am aware of the differences between CO and WA and I like rubbing it in Washington's face.

Secondly, I just harvested my first grow and am excited to talk about it. I am also over the moon that I am actively participating in the downfall of the War on Drugs.

Yes, I realize that people might try to steal it. I'm more worried about neighbor kids than murderous thugs, though.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

your bathroom is also an enclosed space.

keep growing outside against the advice of a dude who has read every state and most local Amendment 64 related law and regulation at your own risk. it's a terrible idea and you should not be recommending it to others.

could you clarify why you have verbally ghettoized Pavel Petel as homoerotic? i would just hate to misclassify your bigotry.
Cool, I'm taking the advice of a Colorado lawyer who has been focusing his work primarily on MMJ and now recreational marijuana use, in Colorado.

Shirtless, muscular man. That's homoerotic, nothing bigoted about saying that. I guess it's also heteroerotic for females on this forum, but since they are such a small minority here I don't think it applies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cool, I'm taking the advice of a Colorado lawyer who has been focusing his work primarily on MMJ and now recreational marijuana use, in Colorado.

Shirtless, muscular man. That's homoerotic, nothing bigoted about saying that. I guess it's also heteroerotic for females on this forum, but since they are such a small minority here I don't think it applies.

Can you please post one post at a time? You can quote additional people by hitting quote on their post below the posting box.

Not that it matters since you're more interested in talking about homoerotic avatars than anything actually on topic, I guess. In addition to marginalizing the female population because ~internet is for boys~.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Secondly, I just harvested my first grow and am excited to talk about it. I am also over the moon that I am actively participating in the downfall of the War on Drugs.

TCC - Growing cannabis made easy

Also rubbing in COs more progressive take on MJ into WA residents face is like making fun of the runner up to Miss Universe. She's still hotter than 99.9% of the rest of the planet.

I live in Pennsylvania. I might as well be in loving Mississippi.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Jazerus posted:

Can you please post one post at a time? You can quote additional people by hitting quote on their post below the posting box.

Not that it matters since you're more interested in talking about homoerotic avatars than anything actually on topic, I guess. In addition to marginalizing the female population because ~internet is for boys~.
Your post history in this thread is filled with more useless posts than even I have managed in the last 20 mins. Check out my post history to see what on-topic content looks like.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You get better and stronger yields with hydro indoors anyway.

If you know what you're doing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Your post history in this thread is filled with more useless posts than even I have managed in the last 20 mins. Check out my post history to see what on-topic content looks like.

Yes, I suppose talking about marijuana legalization in the marijuana legalization thread is pretty useless. :thumbsup: Did you click on the wrong button? I'm serious, I don't understand this post at all.

I very much appreciate your posting interesting news articles to discuss. Please do that instead of whatever it is you think you're doing now.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

no, you're doing the opposite of that

stop doing what you are doing. grow indoors.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TenementFunster posted:

no, you're doing the opposite of that

stop doing what you are doing. grow indoors.

If there's one bit of advice I've learned is that when a person in a position to give legal advice actually choses to do so, you should probably loving listen.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
New Approach just filed to put a legalization measure on next year's ballot here in Oregon. There is already two other legalization measures working to get signatures, both by the same guy that couldn't get it passed in 2012. Hopefully, it doesn't turn into a confusing clusterfuck and we can get at least one version passed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Two reasons. Firstly, yes I am aware of the differences between CO and WA and I like rubbing it in Washington's face.

Why would anyone do this? Weed is not a sports team and there's nothing significant to rub with.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheese eats mouse posted:

You get better and stronger yields with hydro indoors anyway.

If you know what you're doing.

This is only true when you are limited in grow space. For the same amount of money as a 200sq/ft indoor setup you could plant an entire field. If you manage to grow said field you can trade a portion to a friend with a harvester to help with that part.

It would be weaker but you would have more total THC which you can extract if desired. I think growing is going to move outdoors very quickly. I also think the wording of the law well end up allowing a fenced and locked field on private property to be used.

Another major product being grown under this legislation is industrial hemp. Which is going to greatly effect how the regulation ifs interpreted and enforced. I don't think it is economically possible to do indoor help grows.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Industrial hemp is absolutely useless as weed though.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Industrial hemp is absolutely useless as weed though.

Enjoy sitting at home smoking your pots while I sail the high seas in a galleass with UNLIMITED rope and sails.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That was phrased wrong:

Insudtrial hemp is both useless as weed and as a material in our modern world. Nylon does rope so, so much better.

But it does hold pomise as a paper replacement, and niche promise in clothing.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

That was phrased wrong:

Insudtrial hemp is both useless as weed and as a material in our modern world. Nylon does rope so, so much better.

Composites are a huge thing in manufacturing and hemp replaces fiberglass very well. It does not flame up when burnt, unlike fiberglass, which is critical for use in vehicles. America must import it currently and this affects supply as well as pricing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That was phrased wrong:

Most lines that are being used for any real purpose aren't nylon anymore because of it's snapback properties. Most lines are now made either of aramid fiber (basically kevlar) or high molecular weight polyethylene.

However there are still a wide range of uses for smaller natural fiber lines in certain places. When you're tying something up, natural fiber lines don't slip as much as synthetics and are usually cheaper.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Why would anyone do this? Weed is not a sports team and there's nothing significant to rub with.

Regionalism divided at the state level is an American tradition, it also makes people who normally would work together hate each other for no other reason than where they were born.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I don't hate other states, I just feel sorry for them because Colorado is obviously superior :smug:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

That was phrased wrong:

Industrial hemp is both useless as weed and as a material in our modern world.

The core of the haul line (the metal cable that holds up the chairs) on a chairlift is made out of hemp due to it's strength and ability to retain lubricant. Colorado has quite a few ski lifts. Hemp has plenty of other applications as well, and unlike nylon it does not require a laboratory to make. (My grandpa invented one of the current methods of making nylon while working at DuPont.)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

NYC Police Commissioner Kelly Booed From Stage At Brown University

Shouts, chants, and interruptions by protestors at Brown University on Tuesday forced the cancellation of a lecture by New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

According to The Providence Journal, Kelly was drowned out by cries of “racism” and demands for “peace and justice," and ultimately left the auditorium through a side door after university officials closed the program.

Kelly had been expected to speak about his department's stop-and-frisk policy, which was ruled unconstitutional early this year.

In a statement, Brown University said that officials decided to close the lecture after "nearly 30 minutes of disruption by activist students and members of the local community."

“The actions that led to the closing of this afternoon’s lecture prevented any exchange of ideas and deprived the campus and the Providence community of an opportunity to hear and discuss important social issues,” Brown University President Christina Paxson said in a statement. “The conduct of disruptive members of the audience is indefensible and an affront both to civil democratic society and to the University’s core values of dialog and the free exchange of views.” http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/nyc-police-commissioner-kelly-booed-from-stage-at-brown-university

Would that she held the same contempt for a man whose racism and abuse of power has ruined the lives of thousands of people. Would that she label his behavior an indefensible affront to civil democratic society.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 31, 2013

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

KingEup posted:

Would that she held the same contempt for a man whose racism and abuse of power has ruined the lives of thousands of people. Would that she label his behavior an indefensible affront to civil democratic society.

Wow, who thought that this was a good idea?

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello auditorium full of marginalized peoples, I've come here to tell you about my unethical policies that I use to marginalize you- wait what? Why's everyone booing me?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Limastock posted:

Hello auditorium full of marginalized peoples, I've come here to tell you about my unethical policies that I use to marginalize you- wait what? Why's everyone booing me?

Calling Brown undergrads "marginalized peoples" might be a stretch.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
Not if you don't capitalize the "b".

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

computer parts posted:

Basically the only determining factor for 2016 is going to be the results of the 2014 election, and there will be only two possible decisions based on that election, and I can basically guarantee that "legalizing marijuana" will not be part of the national platform.

National issue or not, Colorado will pass the tax that's on the ballot right now and then profit from legal, regulated marijuana until the rest of the country gets its collective head out of its collective rear end. Yay us!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ChlamydiaJones posted:

National issue or not, Colorado will pass the tax that's on the ballot right now and then profit from legal, regulated marijuana until the rest of the country gets its collective head out of its collective rear end. Yay us!

And you get a bunch of libertarian potheads screaming about taxes. :allears:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

computer parts posted:

And you get a bunch of libertarian potheads screaming about taxes. :allears:

Vice taxes are pretty regressive and lovely.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jeffrey posted:

Like I said.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Regressive they may be, like all consumption taxes, I fail to see how they are lovely. Since every purchase is absolutely a choice, and not a requirement. Taxing milk is lovely; taxing weed or beer or cigarettes seems like a no-brainer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

redshirt posted:

Regressive they may be, like all consumption taxes, I fail to see how they are lovely. Since every purchase is absolutely a choice, and not a requirement. Taxing milk is lovely; taxing weed or beer or cigarettes seems like a no-brainer.

Weed is even different from beer and cigarettes since Weed is supposedly non-addictive while those two are.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

Weed is even different from beer and cigarettes since Weed is supposedly non-addictive while those two are.

Not PHYSICALLY addictive. It is only mentally addictive just like meth!

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
In a development that shocked the world, stoners, who for decades couched their arguments on marijuana legalization in the social benefits that would come from heavy taxation, turned around and immediately started whining about taxes when they actually came into existence, often vowing to commit crimes to avoid them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

redshirt posted:

This is fine if the money is used to directly to pay for externalities related to use of the product(Like the health costs of tobacco or the CO2 emissions of fossil fuels), but it is different when there are none and it's just because we can. I'd still rather it be means-tested either way. There's no need for a high fixed rate tax when we have a mechanism for means-tested taxation in this country that we can deploy at any level we'd like. It's not like I'm proposing it be exempt from regular sales tax. (Though I'd rather we do away with that also and further tax income/wealth instead).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

redshirt posted:

It's still mostly just a way to shift the tax burden from high-income earners to low income earners. A dollar you take out of the pocket of a low-income person (because they had the gall to consume what amounts to entertainment) is still a dollar they aren't spending stimulating the economy (and unlike high earners, poors have extremely high marginal propensity to spend). Sales and consumption taxes are fundamentally regressive. Sometimes that's justified where there's externalities like cancer or domestic violence that aren't accounted for in the package price, but if you're just looking at them as a revenue source you're no better than a flat taxer.

I mean even legal taxed weed would be cheaper than the present baseline, it's a good idea and should be done, but you are certainly giving up economic activity in comparison to a world where we just cranked the top rate 0.1% instead.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 1, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's still mostly just a way to shift the tax burden from high-income earners to low income earners. A dollar you take out of the pocket of a low-income person (because they had the gall to consume what amounts to entertainment) is still a dollar they aren't spending stimulating the economy. Sales and consumption taxes are fundamentally regressive. Sometimes that's justified where there's externalities like cancer or domestic violence that aren't accounted for in the package price, but if you're just looking at them as a revenue source you're no better than a flat taxer.

I mean even legal taxed weed would be cheaper than the present baseline, it's a good idea and should be done, but you are certainly giving up economic activity in comparison to a world where we just cranked the top rate 0.1% instead.

So campaign on cutting sales taxing and/or raising the income tax, this is not an issue endemic to weed and the only reason it's being brought up is because stoners don't want to pay money.

Like, it's the tax equivalent of "Instead of legalizing gay marriage let's just get rid of all marriage!"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

This is fine if the money is used to directly to pay for externalities related to use of the product(Like the health costs of tobacco or the CO2 emissions of fossil fuels), but it is different when there are none and it's just because we can. I'd still rather it be means-tested either way. There's no need for a high fixed rate tax when we have a mechanism for means-tested taxation in this country that we can deploy at any level we'd like. It's not like I'm proposing it be exempt from regular sales tax. (Though I'd rather we do away with that also and further tax income/wealth instead).

Gasoline taxes don't pay for the externalities related to the use of fossil fuels. Although by increasing energy prices for consumers they do probably encourage a bit more energy efficiency in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

computer parts posted:

So campaign on cutting sales taxing and/or raising the income tax

That's what I'm doing right now. I'm not a politician, I'm a guy on an internet debate forum, and I'm saying this is not the optimal solution.

quote:

this is not an issue endemic to weed and the only reason it's being brought up is because stoners don't want to pay money.

Again, even legal taxed weed would be cheaper than it is now, so you're way off. I'm arguing macro-scale economics here. Poor people are the best stimulus in the entire economy and anything you do to put a buck in their pocket or avoid taking it out stimulates growth. Even moreso than infrastructure spending or those other things we like.

quote:

Like, it's the tax equivalent of "Instead of legalizing gay marriage let's just get rid of all marriage!"

No idea what you're going for here at all, I very definitely am not opposed to taxes, just regressive ones. Taxes should be levied fairly, but broadly speaking the real burden should be on the people best able to pay them.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 1, 2013

• Locked thread