Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I lost it during the Frankie Teardrop mashup when the brainwashing from The Master played over Street Hassles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I will probably finally up my donation high enough to get a Best Show premium if next years marathon pack includes an EP of Tom's Frankie Teardrop mashups.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What was the clip from where it's some psycho going off about how cops should be able to execute random "animals"?

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

What was the clip from where it's some psycho going off about how cops should be able to execute random "animals"?

It's from a radio station called Jersey 101.5. From what I remember, it was talk radio with some oldies/classic rock tossed in every once in a while. It got tons of weirdo's like that calling in all the time and it sounds like it is being broadcast out of someone's garage. I assumed Tom came across it while driving one day and got a hold of the clip.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Laughed so hard when I saw this. Well done that caller. Somebody needs to start a campaign to get Tom to host that show, it would be glorious.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Wow, this week's episode might be the worst one I've ever heard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Why? Is Tom just getting angry at all the callers for being boring again like last week? I haven't listened to it yet.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
whoa bob odenkirk..

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate to say it but I am REALLY over Gary the Squirrel. That voice is literally the most grating noise I have ever heard and Tom has just run that character into the loving ground at this point. It was funny for maybe the first week or so, but it's seriously been like 2 years now I just want to fast forward through the Gary parts at this point.

Also, agreed that was one of the worst episodes in years.

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

Not too surprised that Tom took a night off, it seems like he was getting really worn out. I agree that Gary the Squirrel is getting to be really tedious lately... I never listen live so lately I'm just skipping ahead to the point where I hear Tom speaking in a regular voice again. The audio collage is pretty epic though, and one of the best thing he's done in a while.

Spiral Architect
Jun 26, 2004

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

It's from a radio station called Jersey 101.5. From what I remember, it was talk radio with some oldies/classic rock tossed in every once in a while. It got tons of weirdo's like that calling in all the time and it sounds like it is being broadcast out of someone's garage. I assumed Tom came across it while driving one day and got a hold of the clip.

It's Tom who called in to mess with the station. And the other call in to Alan Colmes' show is probably also Tom

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was giggling like an idiot in the grocery store the other night when Tom was telling the story about how he flips off the abortion protester every day. BEEP BEEP "Finally someone on my side... oh it's him again." He's so good at painting a picture, and I always get a kick out of Tom acting like a juvenile delinquent.

The last couple of shows weren't very good as a whole, but they had quite a few laugh out loud moments. Tom sounds pretty worn out right now, like those last couple of shows before he took a month or so off. At least in those shows he was starting to lose his temper with his bad callers rather than whining about them.

e: You can hear the exact moment he hits his breaking point last time, when he's yelling at a guy on the phone and calling him an "elitist douchebag" for liking college basketball. You can almost hear him slumping into his chair after he hangs up on him.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 6, 2013

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I thought the summer started off strong with the Pigpen stuff and the continuing Frankie Teardrop collage, but it has really dropped off a bit overall over the past month. It feels like the summers have been dead periods for the show over the past couple of years.

That being said, the callers have been pretty bad for a while. I think the guests have generally been good and the S/W bits this year have, at times, been some of the strongest I've heard, but there don't seem to have been any consistently good callers from what I've heard of the show this year.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I agree about callers. I'm pretty done with Frankie Teardrop. The Pigpen collage stuff this summer has been killer though. And I loved a lot of the guests

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Juttman posted:

I agree about callers. I'm pretty done with Frankie Teardrop. The Pigpen collage stuff this summer has been killer though. And I loved a lot of the guests

I tried the Frankie Teardrop thing. It's not that interesting. Neat song, though.

The collage continues to be my favorite new thing Tom does.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Did they stop putting the Rest Show in the RSS feed?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Did they stop putting the Rest Show in the RSS feed?

I found a weird back door to it a couple days ago when I was digging around. I was having a drat tough time finding it through my usual links for some reason, though.

If anyone out there shares Tom's fascination with Morton Downey Jr., or if his recent interview with one of the directors piqued your interest, "Evocateur" is now up on Netflix instant watch. It was okay, but nothing earth-shattering. I enjoyed it more as a trip down memory lane than anything else. It ended up being a lot drier than I expected.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I think the latest episode (last week's) is the best in a while. Tom trying to shoot down everything Kindler loves was hilarious. The guy is so good at making people seem like buffoons.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

DangerDummy! posted:

If anyone out there shares Tom's fascination with Morton Downey Jr., or if his recent interview with one of the directors piqued your interest, "Evocateur" is now up on Netflix instant watch. It was okay, but nothing earth-shattering. I enjoyed it more as a trip down memory lane than anything else. It ended up being a lot drier than I expected.
Oh nice, thanks for the tip. I'm definitely curious about it, I was old enough at the time that I sort of knew of Morton Downey Jr. but I definitely wasn't old enough to really process it/understand the cultural significance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a friend that runs a bar and tries to get a listening party together a couple of weeks ago on the night that there was no Best Show. I guess one of the guys that showed up was from out of town and was friends with Tom. Tom ended up calling them and thanking them for having the party and apologized for not doing a show that night. Pretty cool.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Oh no, the Show is coming to an end. :(

12/17/13. The final Best Show.

What a loving run.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh no, the Show is coming to an end. :(

12/17/13. The final Best Show.

What a loving run.

poo poo, that was tonight's news??!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Yeah, I'm really bummed though Tom's obviously right that it was an unreasonable and unsustainable thing to do for no money at all (indirect exposure and such aside).

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Wow, that's unbelievably depressing. Just knowing every week that I had a new, unlistened to Best Show on my phone always made me goddamn delighted. I am excited for how insane the last show is going to be though. Three hour sound collage?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Oh poo poo. Why is it all the good WFMU shows have to end.

Except Seven Second Delay which I was certain was going to end years ago, but you know whatever I ain't gonna complain about that one.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I haven't heard this week's episode yet, but man...

I'm just glad that it's ending on a peak. I'm assuming the last episode may be one last Christmas party? Somehow it's comforting to me that the show will be ending before he stops playing Led Zeppelin.

Once it's over I still have 9 more years of shows to go through. Anyone know how to convert .ram files to mp3?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I've listened in and out over the past couple of years. I can't believe he means it now. Is there a way for him to go the paid podcast route since that's why he's ending it on WFMU?

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
That really sucks. I dropped off listening to shows recently but I always appreciated the show.

Wonder if he'll do a WTF/Marc and Tom Show about it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vertical Lime posted:

I've listened in and out over the past couple of years. I can't believe he means it now. Is there a way for him to go the paid podcast route since that's why he's ending it on WFMU?

I can't see this working. So much of the crazy energy that makes the show work is being live and taking real phone calls.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I hope this means Chris Gethard's show got picked up or something.

e: this is really cool. from the twitter of the Red Sox's organist

Groucho Marxist fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 30, 2013

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
This is really affecting me. This show means a lot to me. I'm gonna miss hearing Tom's hilarious take on the world weekly. Also, his new show with Chris Gethard didnt get picked up by if , so who knows what the future holds. I know he'll do great things though, cus he is a comedic genius and clearly a hardworking guy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh man :( I haven't even listened to the episode yet, but this is a lot to take in. I haven't missed an episode in nearly 7 years and it's become way more than just a show to me. Like, it's just become part of life. I kind of thought he was just going to keep doing it forever.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Tom Scharpling and Jon Wurster have in fact pulled me out of depression before by being hilarious so yeah I'm taking this pretty hard too.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

I'd hate to see WFMU go under as a result of this. I've always feared that when The Best Show ends then the money will stop coming in. Hopefully Tom will come back to do a show during the annual pledge drive.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
holy poo poo

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

I'd hate to see WFMU go under as a result of this. I've always feared that when The Best Show ends then the money will stop coming in. Hopefully Tom will come back to do a show during the annual pledge drive.

Oh god, the pledge drive... As bad as we feel, I bet Ken Freedman is taking it twice as hard.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
A friend of mine posted, "It's like Calvin & Hobbes is ending all over again" and he was 100% on. As happy as I am for Tom, this is so, so sad.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

I learned about The Best Show in like 2011 and even though I haven't been the most faithful listener, I've always loved the idea of this great comedy show broadcasting out from New Jersey in the late night with all my favorite musicians and comedians. I rediscovered Led Zeppelin because of this show. I really started taking music knowledge seriously because of Scharpling's impressive recall of every bands' members, lyrics, and album covers. I started to idolize this guy. I'll really miss him. Gonna make an effort to listen to every episode before now and the end live. I have to call in before the show is over because it's been a fantasy of mine from when I started listening.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9N3MacZfwg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Fenway organ player was on Low Times once. He's in The Baseball Project and is an all around awesome dude and is one of the few redeeming features of The Worst Sports Team On Earth.