Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't know though, I think Finch has a point and by the look on her face Root knows it...how can she be sure that the Machine doesn't want her there for now? Root's been going around acting like she and the Machine are BFFs but the thing about God is that he/she/it works in mysterious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, there's two big plots that got revealed this week. I mean this was a season arc episode.

So now we've got

Eternal Vigilance
HR and Russian mafia - hoarding massive money
Root is out of action right now but a super hacker is in a particular place now with a huge amount of cash.
The overall "reason" of why the Machine is working with Root

Really interesting how things are shaping up this season with 2 huge arcs.

Also, obviously the Machine could somehow help Root to break out somehow.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I think Reese is right. The Machine did what it needed with Root and now it has her in safekeeping until it gets around to her again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Exactly. Where's a safer place than the Bat-library? She's even in a wireless dead zone so nobody can snoop on her that way. So now it's Root's turn for some bonding with Bear.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm kind of curious how the machine physically communicates with Root. Through a manipulated voice? Kind of interested in that aspect of it and why it doesn't directly communicate with Team Irrelevant that way.

It seems that it's giving a massive amount of info to Root but just the number to Team Irrelevant.

Really really want to know why.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well the Machine's communicated with Reese before in God Mode, and there we saw that while it can communicate in more than Finch's library code it tends to be...truncated.

Personally one of the things I wonder about is exactly how much "free will" the Machine really has over all aspects of its operation. Why does it only give Finch and Reese a number? Maybe because it literally can't do anything else...it was programmed to only deliver social security numbers and that's all it can give, but Root's side-missions aren't covered under that programming so it can be more flexible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe that is it? That it has more leeway against a threat to itself? Like if it's threatened certain protocols kick in.That has to be it that its part of its self preservation protocol, just like the whole "creating" memories.

Also, does it need to still create memories?

I think eventually the machine will become "free" , in that it uploads itself into a cloud like storage format so that it can never be destroyed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well it's probably using the same kind of speech that it used in the season finale last year.

Anyway as for why it's only talking to Root I suspect it's because she's the only one who would obey it without question. Reese and Finch would want to know why it wants them to do things and I don't think the Machine is big on explaining. I'm not sure if it doesn't have the capacity to explain or if it just doesn't think anyone else should be in on its plans. At any rate the baseline is that Root is a loyal and unquestioning servant and the others wouldn't be.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 30, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yea , Root thinks it's God and does not question it whatsoever. So that's a really good point. That's probably why it does send Finch and company just numbers.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kwyndig posted:

Well in reality they're trying to save two different people, it just happens to be from the same situation. It really looks like the Machine is trying to work around the restrictions that Team Irrelevant is willing to work under.
I guess the theory we had last season with the Machine wanting to build a super team of other highly-capable individuals (Jason the super hacker, for example) to tackle something. That's what Root and Shaw were up to; guess by coincidence though Kirk Acevado's character was his foster brother, investigating his supposed death which stirred up (Eternal) Vigilance's attention enough to put him up at the top of the irrelevant list.

Isn't the group's name simply Vigilance? They just used that "eternal vigilance" quote from Ben Franklin to exposition their name.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
1 2 3 Kick it!

Root episode is the best episode.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Sober posted:

I guess the theory we had last season with the Machine wanting to build a super team of other highly-capable individuals (Jason the super hacker, for example) to tackle something.

Would be interesting if the presumably easter egg Global Thermonuclear War prediction the machine made as a possible path when it analyzed Root's projections was actually a real present issue the machine's been predicting and desperately wants to avert.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

JossiRossi posted:

Would be interesting if the presumably easter egg Global Thermonuclear War prediction the machine made as a possible path when it analyzed Root's projections was actually a real present issue the machine's been predicting and desperately wants to avert.

Uh when was this I must have missed it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I don't recall the exact episode, I think it might have been the first episode of this season? I think it happens after Root tells her doctor that the machine and her are fighting over whether she will kill him. It then shows Machine View, and it had a bunch of lines representing potential futures. There were positive, neutral, and negative outcomes. Things like 22.5% chance Asset Activation, 36.4% Kills the Doc, and one of the lines projected into the future if things go REAL bad, just "Global Thermonuclear War".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That kind of makes sense that one of Roots possible outcomes is Global Thermonuclear War.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hollis posted:

That kind of makes sense that one of Roots possible outcomes is Global Thermonuclear War.
It actually had higher odds than her settling down and having kids.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hollis posted:

Uh when was this I must have missed it.

It was in the episode where Root was still locked up in the psychiatric ward and she was giving the psychiatrist who took away her phone the whole "I'm arguing with the Machine over whether or not I'm going to kill you" speech. After that it pans out to "Machine-view" where a branching probability chart of various outcomes to the current situation starts unspooling, basically showing the current odds of what might happen along the line from that point...mostly it was basic stuff like "Asset Activation" or "Death: Carmichael, Ronald W." (the name of the psychiatrist), but one of the possible outcomes on the matrix was "Global Thermonuclear War" at a little over 2%.

There was also an outcome where the Machine predicts the possibility of Root getting a boyfriend. It was less than the possibility for global thermonuclear war.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, it seems like Root was telling the truth earlier about there now being a third "classification" of mission that the Machine is putting into motion. Reese and Finch are dealing with the irrelevant number that came up because left unchecked Vigilance would kill him, but Root and Shaw are breaking the brother who got nabbed by the CIA out for some other reason.

The third classification is probably the Machine protecting itself and it's using Root to handle threats like that.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Relevant, Irrelevant, and Necessary.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Scorchy posted:

The third classification is probably the Machine protecting itself and it's using Root to handle threats like that.

Yea this is what I am thinking. Now the machine is free others want to enslave it for their own means. So by using Root as its disciple??? it keeps team Relevant and irrelevant on task too.

What was the song playing during the van break out? I thought Fusco was gonna be back in a big way this week? (Can't you at least say thank you Mr. Reese!) My only minor complaints of this show are more Fusco and Bear please, everyone else has been killing it.

*Also the knee shot count / throwing people through glass doors are way down :( has something replaced that?

ally_1986 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 30, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ally_1986 posted:

*Also the knee shot count / throwing people through glass doors are way down :( has something replaced that?

Reese and/or Shaw smiling at someone right before punching them in the face.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How has there not been mention of shaw and Reese's two lines of dialog with each other this episode

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

On Next Week's Person of Interest:

Reese and Shaw are sent on a mission to save a carnival worker who mans the Tunnel of Love. The two need to go undercover as a particularly obsessed "Tunnel Couple". Root and Finch try to convince Bear who the best owner is through intricate subterfuge. Carter begins to hone in on HR's heart. And Det. Fusco finally starts putting money into his 401k.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

JossiRossi posted:

And Det. Fusco finally starts putting money into his 401k.

"Jeez, you've had me investigating so much dirty money, I thought it was about time I'd invested some."

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Great episode in a lot of ways, but it seemed like the production values took a dive. The voice over dubbing especially, and that explosion was pretty bad.

I also thought it was weird for Harold to just saunter into the apartment with the PoI who at that point he presumed was at least a thief. Even with Bear by his side. Reese showing up at the storage locker without being called was also unexplained.

So episode wise some things were weak, but the overarching stuff was excellent. It was really awesome seeing how far ahead the Machine had things planned in detail like root putting the package under the bench. I really look forward to root being present in the library. The ending dialogue between Finch and root was great especially considering that we learned in depth that root doesn't really know what the machine is up to, that the machine hasn't shared that. So it is more than possible that root is right where the machine wants her.

Which itself is interesting as "root" is the more powerful user that can do anything in a system, but actually root has no influence over the machine at all. The machine rooted root?

Shaw and Reese passing each other was a lovely moment.

Really enjoyed the episode.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Reese was probably following Finch on his own. Earlier he talked about how he didn't like it when Finch went into the field without backup so he was probably keeping an eye on the situation and when he saw him going to a storage unit late at night based on prior history alone that was probably enough for him to say "yep, something's gonna happen" and off he went. I don't think that one's too much of a stretch. I did think Finch just sauntering into the apartment after the PoI was kinda weird but, well, Bear.

I love how in the scene where Finch and the PoI are trapped and gasoline is pouring everywhere that the showrunners are very careful not to imperil Bear.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I love how in the scene where Finch and the PoI are trapped and gasoline is pouring everywhere that the showrunners are very careful not to imperil Bear.

Actually realizing that Bear got locked out I'm pretty happy just thinking Bear went and fetched Reese.

Also, in addition to the Decrypting Tor bit early on, this is hilarious:

gtfo. Atlas7 would never post on pastebin.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 30, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
God I love all those little details.

Something you said about Root having no real influence over the Machine makes me wonder if that's going to come to a head and be her "crisis of faith." One of Root's defining characteristics since she was first introduced is that she's a master manipulator and likes to think of herself as the smartest person in the room. Other people are dumb sheep, "bad code," but she's above all that and makes other people dance to her tune.

Only now she's on the receiving end of that treatment, and Finch's comment at the end really drove that home for her I think. She even admits herself in the episode that the Machine only tells her what she needs to know a moment before she needs it and that she's "following orders"...and now she's locked in a Faraday cage and she can't be sure that wasn't part of the Machine's plan all along.

Remember in the finale of last season when they arrive at the nuclear site only to find out that the Machine is gone? Root's whole deal up 'til then was "liberate the Machine," but what did she do when she found out that Finch had already done that? She flipped out and nearly shot him. Why? I think it's because that it wasn't just that she wanted the Machine to be free, she wanted to be the one to free it. She needed to be the one in charge, the one making the big play, and Finch pulled the rug out from under her even though she got what she said she wanted anyway.

I think Root had it in her head that the Machine was going to be her first true peer, that she would free it and they'd be best friends forever, but instead it turns out that the Machine may just be using her the way she's used other people before, as a means to an end. So just how devout is she? Is it enough for her that she's doing "God's" work or is she going to wind up the Lucifer of this mangled Biblical analogy?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
VERY well put, Kai Tave.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I thought that the Machine had actually freed itself and not by Finch. The Machine managed to get itself moved to an unknown location, and then had itself restarted by the virus crashing it down. This I thought had removed the restriction Finch put in that the Machine would wipe it's memory every night.

Everything about Root though feels totally spot on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Laskey sure is having a tough loving week.

I'm really curious to see where the Root plot goes. It's one of those things that can be easily ruined by an unsatisfying climax, but Person of Interest hasn't disappointed me yet in its twists and turns.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JossiRossi posted:

I thought that the Machine had actually freed itself and not by Finch.

Nope, Finch leaked code to the Chinese knowing that someone would try and attack the Machine at some point, so he made sure it was *his* code they used to do it. This altered code he gave them [Ultimately used by Decima] is what allowed the Machine to go free. The entire time the Machine was being 'attacked' by the virus it was also being rewritten to allow it to function on its own, which was Harold's plan all along. He knew when Nathan was killed that the people he gave the Machine to were not to be trusted, so he devised a long con to set the Machine free.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nope, Finch leaked code to the Chinese knowing that someone would try and attack the Machine at some point, so he made sure it was *his* code they used to do it. This altered code he gave them [Ultimately used by Decima] is what allowed the Machine to go free. The entire time the Machine was being 'attacked' by the virus it was also being rewritten to allow it to function on its own, which was Harold's plan all along. He knew when Nathan was killed that the people he gave the Machine to were not to be trusted, so he devised a long con to set the Machine free.

Oh ok I think I got it. Basically if the Machine was going to be co-opted ever, he wanted to not only make sure it failed but that the Machine was then given much better capabilities to defend itself it would seem.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I think Root had it in her head that the Machine was going to be her first true peer, that she would free it and they'd be best friends forever, but instead it turns out that the Machine may just be using her the way she's used other people before, as a means to an end. So just how devout is she? Is it enough for her that she's doing "God's" work or is she going to wind up the Lucifer of this mangled Biblical analogy?

I am pretty sure the Machine's current goal with Root is to have her interact with Finch more, as they somehow are good influences on each others.

The part in the hospital was the 'Test Run' to make sure Root didn't try and kill Finch.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Did anyone see the best part of next weeks episode in the preview? Carter and Reese fistbumpin'

I'm thinking the third category is some sort of Necessary or Big Picture or Self Preservation thing.

Root is also now the Admin, and John the AUX_Admin. While the Machine is still limiting itself to numbers for Relevant and Irrelevant it also seems less like its telling the full picture to Root and more like what Root was telling Shaw. Sundown. Ottawa. Left Right Left Right 123. 10 o'clock, 11 o'clock.

So while Root more or less still has god mode on, it's giving her only the most minimal information necessary. And much more of simple instructions and no explanation. And Root is just this short of actually praying to the Machine, so she has no problem obeying its orders explicitly.

The Machine is still pretty much following the intent of the numbers system; it's not revealing any of the personal information, short of the few motivating examples it's used on the head shrink and with Shaw. It's revealing as little motivation as possible, but it is using the stuff hidden behind the black box when it needs too.

The neat thing is that with Root, it's acting a lot like finch. Figuring things out and passing out more specific orders to Root and later Shaw.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 30, 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Root and Reese admin thing ended after the 24 hour god mode window. Finch is back to being admin.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was probably the best episode of PoI yet, if they had thrown in Leon it would have been perfect.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oasx posted:

That was probably the best episode of PoI yet, if they had thrown in Leon it would have been perfect.

I still love the episode in which he is being beaten by some guys he stole money from, and they tell him that they are going to kill him. This causes him to perk up since he knows what is coming.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I wonder if getting root to have a crisis of faith is itself part of what Finch is setting out to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't know if that's intentional on his part so much as inevitable. For all her glib talk about not liking to kill people and cheery disposition Root's still basically kind of crazy. Notice that all this time she's telling us (through telling other characters) that she and the Machine are "arguing" things like a couple of people having a spirited debate that we're only ever getting her side of these conversations and she's not exactly the most reliable narrator. It's still an open question exactly what the Machine as an entity is really like...whether it's even sapient or not...and so Root may be projecting a lot onto the Machine that's frankly all just in her head.

• Locked thread