Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

jackpot posted:

Coming from Snow Leopard, the changes to Spaces are really loving weird. I'm getting used to not just going ctrl+1, ctrl+2, etc to move through my spaces, but slowly. At this point I'm just not sure this is an improvement; I'm used to opening Photoshop and having it go here (space 4, left screen), and when I open Chrome it goes there (space 2, left screen). Now poo poo's going all over the place. Guess I'll get used to it.
You can still get it to do this behaviour. What you need to do is move the application windows to the space on the correct monitor (mission control is the easiest way to do this) then right click their icons on the dock and tell it to keep them on that space on that screen (option is in the submenu under keep in dock, can't remember exactly what it's called). That should combo with Mission Control's 'switch to a space with open windows for the application' setting to do what you want.

Edit: you might want to turn off 'arrange spaces based on use' in Mission Control preferences so everything's always in the same order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jackpot posted:

But then how would I use the calculator? :confused:
(I need the calculator, but I don't have enough real estate to leave it open all the time; that's literally the only useful part of Dashboard)

Command-Space 'c..a...l..' enter!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Or just Command-Space and then start typing math:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
^^ Still one more key than F12! :)
(plus, when I close spotlight it doesn't remember my answer the next time I open it)

Mercurius posted:

You can still get it to do this behaviour. What you need to do is move the application windows to the space on the correct monitor (mission control is the easiest way to do this) then right click their icons on the dock and tell it to keep them on that space on that screen (option is in the submenu under keep in dock, can't remember exactly what it's called). That should combo with Mission Control's 'switch to a space with open windows for the application' setting to do what you want.

Edit: you might want to turn off 'arrange spaces based on use' in Mission Control preferences so everything's always in the same order.
Ok, I've turned off "arrange spaces, I'll see what that does. But for instance I've got six desktops at the moment - 1 and 2 are on my laptop, and 3, 4, 5, and 6 are on my monitor. Photoshop is open on my monitor, but the only options I have for sticking it to are desktops 1 and 2. That's fine for when I'm at home - I want it to go to desktop 2 then - but when I'm back at work I want it to open on desktop 4.

Bob Morales posted:

Command-Space 'c..a...l..' enter!
F12 is four fewer keys!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

jackpot posted:

^^ Still one more key than F12! :)
(plus, when I close spotlight it doesn't remember my answer the next time I open it)

Ok, I've turned off "arrange spaces, I'll see what that does. But for instance I've got six desktops at the moment - 1 and 2 are on my laptop, and 3, 4, 5, and 6 are on my monitor. Photoshop is open on my monitor, but the only options I have for sticking it to are desktops 1 and 2. That's fine for when I'm at home - I want it to go to desktop 2 then - but when I'm back at work I want it to open on desktop 4.

F12 is four fewer keys!
Just set it up when you're at work, it'll automatically move stuff to the laptop when it's the only display and then back to the right displays when you connect to your monitor. Mine does, anyway.

Edit: re-read what you actually wrote. Set it up at work and then disconnect the monitor and adjust the space pinning again. Mavericks treats each monitor separately so it should still be okay. I'll test it when I get to work since I do the same thing you do.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 28, 2013

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

duck monster posted:

Why not just use adium?

IRC, mainly. I use Adium for everything else, but pidgin +no_x11 +quartz is quite nice these days.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

jackpot posted:

But then how would I use the calculator? :confused:
(I need the calculator, but I don't have enough real estate to leave it open all the time; that's literally the only useful part of Dashboard)

Alfred. With Alfred I just type in my maths and it does it without launching an app.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Siri for math!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I forgot to give blood today. Wasn't there going to be a function in the calendar application to alert you before an event, and even figure out travel time and alert you when you should leave too?

Sorry Red Cross. :smith:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

So I forgot to give blood today. Wasn't there going to be a function in the calendar application to alert you before an event, and even figure out travel time and alert you when you should leave too?

Sorry Red Cross. :smith:

Did you put a location on it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Did you put a location on it?

Yeah, it had an address on the location, and I remember trying to change the alert time so that it seemed to reference travel, but couldn't figure it out.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Is anybody else finding that some apps on Mavericks refuse to stay logged in? So far SimpleNote, DeskConnect and Evernote are the most prominent problem apps. I've removed and reinstalled them all from the MAS but no joy, even wiping out all preferences doesn't make a blind bit of difference either.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

IUG posted:

Yeah, it had an address on the location, and I remember trying to change the alert time so that it seemed to reference travel, but couldn't figure it out.
…also, does it (or did it) know where it was right then? Having only experimented with it a little, I'd imagine that if you disallow calendar from reading your current location (or if it can't because you run entirely wired), it won't be able to calculate travel time in any meaningful way.

Neurophonic posted:

Is anybody else finding that some apps on Mavericks refuse to stay logged in? So far SimpleNote, DeskConnect and Evernote are the most prominent problem apps. I've removed and reinstalled them all from the MAS but no joy, even wiping out all preferences doesn't make a blind bit of difference either.
Have you checked that they're not app-napping? Depending on how they manage that connection, it's entirely possible that they time out or just get disconnected because OSX decides they've been to inactive to be allowed their normal CPU allotment. Of course, it should detect that they're trying to create or maintain that connection, but still…

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

I don't think this has been brought up yet. I updated my 2013 Air to Mavericks the day it came out. Now I'm getting this intermittent thing where there's no sound when I wake from sleep. The output device is still there, and it switches from Internal Speakers (built-in) to headphones as normal, but there is no output.

Restarting fixes it, but that really sucks. Before the updates my uptime was at more than two months.

Sounds like it's being discussed, but no fixes yet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Khelmar posted:

I copied my home directory over to the new partition, then specified it under Accounts -> Advanced settings -> home directory location. I'll check permissions when I get home, but it feels more like a FileVault issue - namely, it doesn't unlock anything other than the boot partition until after it tries to load preferences.

Maybe I should make symlinks for the stuff that's huge (photos, documents, music, etc.) and leave ~/Library on the boot partition?
Oh drat, I have no clue how FileVault would affect things in this case. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

As for leaving the user on the boot partition and symlinking stuff out, that's actually what I do...and am planning to move away from it once i get a fancy external enclosure :v:. It works fine but would rather just have everything in one place again.

Molten Llama posted:

I've been using it since it went open source and trying to contribute to development. (I tried Sublime, but newer releases kept loving up my files. So back to the eternally-alpha TextMate.)

Functionally it's pretty solid—if you need to edit text and run your helper junk, it'll do that just fine.

Auxiliary things like plugin and theme management, documentation... That's all awful. But in a perfect world, you should only need to experience the horror of TM2's add-on manager once.
Heh thanks. My needs are pretty light so I figure I should be ok, guess I'll upgrade on a whim one day and hope it works.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Neurophonic posted:

I don't use any of those, but Twitter does this and it's really testing my patience. Every time I relaunch it after quitting, it's forgotten all four Twitter accounts I've set up, and then I have to go through the setup process all over. Tried everything, from reinstalling using the App Store to deleting preferences. Bleh.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Hello Spaceman posted:

I don't use any of those, but Twitter does this and it's really testing my patience. Every time I relaunch it after quitting, it's forgotten all four Twitter accounts I've set up, and then I have to go through the setup process all over. Tried everything, from reinstalling using the App Store to deleting preferences. Bleh.

Just checked and the official Twitter app does it for me too.

Tippis posted:

Have you checked that they're not app-napping? Depending on how they manage that connection, it's entirely possible that they time out or just get disconnected because OSX decides they've been to inactive to be allowed their normal CPU allotment. Of course, it should detect that they're trying to create or maintain that connection, but still…

Definitely not, this happens if you open the app, login, then quit immediately and relaunch the app. On second load it has no knowledge of ever being setup with login details.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
That's...very impressive. Goddamn.

To answer my earlier question about wallpapers, you can't change them all at once - if you have multiple desktops already setup, you have to change them one by one. BUT, once you set the wallpaper for desktop 1 (or in the case of multiple monitors, once you set the wallpaper for your "first" desktop on each screen) all subsequent desktops you create will have the same wallpaper. Seems like it would've been really easy to add a "change on all desktops" option somewhere, but oh well.

Oh, fixed my photoshop cursor issue, too: reset all the settings by holding down shift-ctrl-opt-cmd (I think one of those isn't necessary, but I don't know which one) while opening it. Still don't know what caused it, although it's suspicious that it happened the same day I started using the Magic Mouse.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

fartmanteau posted:

I don't think this has been brought up yet. I updated my 2013 Air to Mavericks the day it came out. Now I'm getting this intermittent thing where there's no sound when I wake from sleep. The output device is still there, and it switches from Internal Speakers (built-in) to headphones as normal, but there is no output.

Restarting fixes it, but that really sucks. Before the updates my uptime was at more than two months.

Try booting into the recovery partition and doing a permissions repair from there. I've had that fix hardware/driver issues before where just doing it while the OS loaded doesn't work.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

fartmanteau posted:

Also try sudo killall coreaudiod, which has fixed weird audio problems for me in the past.

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Does anyone know of any OS X apps that would serve as a log of everything that happens in the Finder? I manage a lot of media and would love to have a receipt for all of my copies and different actions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm going from an old MBP with SL to a new Mavericks MBP. Most of my old software (CS2, Quicken, etc.) is not going to work on the new machine. Is it crazy to turn my old MBP into a VM and run it in Fusion for a while until I get things sorted out? It seems like it would be easier than having to keep both laptops in action while I transition things like my Quicken data to the Windows version. Paragon has a free piece of software for turning the old one into a VM that Fusion can use.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I had deleted the iWork 09 apps in my haste to move forward, but just restored them from the Time Machine drive.

I had some forms I'd made in Pages for students to fill out...3 copies of the form per page, and it put them all inline rather than one on top of each other and I couldn't fix it. Luckily I had to the documents backed up in Time Machine as well so that I could get them to the pre-opened with Pages 5.0 state.

I also miss the ability to password protect a PDF made in keynote to prevent printing and editing, but not opening, now the only option is a password for opening. I use this to give handouts to my colleagues without having them edit them and claim them as their own teaching materials.

I guess I'll be using the old 09 apps until the new ones catch up - but just like FCPX, I know they will eventually.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Nuntius posted:

I guess I'll be using the old 09 apps until the new ones catch up - but just like FCPX, I know they will eventually.

I wish Quicktime X would catch up.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm going from an old MBP with SL to a new Mavericks MBP. Most of my old software (CS2, Quicken, etc.) is not going to work on the new machine. Is it crazy to turn my old MBP into a VM and run it in Fusion for a while until I get things sorted out? It seems like it would be easier than having to keep both laptops in action while I transition things like my Quicken data to the Windows version. Paragon has a free piece of software for turning the old one into a VM that Fusion can use.
Fusion might complain when you try and load the 10.6 VM because it's technically not legal to virtualise the client version of Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard server can be virtualised legally, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

VMware's site seemed to show it as a guest os option. Maybe I read it wrong.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Dick Trauma posted:

VMware's site seemed to show it as a guest os option. Maybe I read it wrong.
It is kind of a guest option because of server but it'll complain at you if you try and run a 10.6 VM.

Here are the options on the latest version of Fusion (provided the attachment works):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Is it just me, or is the Maps application really laggy and slow? It's almost as bad as Google Maps has gotten.

I also wonder how long it will be until we get a "Find My Friends" app for OS X. That would be really nice.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

http://blog.fastmail.fm/2013/10/29/apple-mail-bug-turns-out-to-be-user-script-after-all/

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
All of my stuff goes through Plex these days after I built a Mac Mini media server. Its amazing how rarely I ever even think about movie players cause I use the Plex app or play the movie on my iPad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Axiem posted:

Is it just me, or is the Maps application really laggy and slow? It's almost as bad as Google Maps has gotten.

I also wonder how long it will be until we get a "Find My Friends" app for OS X. That would be really nice.
Runs fine here, 2011 Mac mini w/Radeon. Is it just everything about it laggy or particular things?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Is there any way possible I can make my 2010 21inch iMac go into target display and have something input into it?

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

jackpot posted:

Coming from Snow Leopard, the changes to Spaces are really loving weird. I'm getting used to not just going ctrl+1, ctrl+2, etc to move through my spaces, but slowly. At this point I'm just not sure this is an improvement; I'm used to opening Photoshop and having it go here (space 4, left screen), and when I open Chrome it goes there (space 2, left screen). Now poo poo's going all over the place. Guess I'll get used to it.
I noticed Apple decided to ruin Spaces beginning with Lion; they're too tiny for me to read anything in the previews and they did away with the 3x3 grid I was fond of. I was pissed until I discovered TotalSpaces; all is well in my kingdom again.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a way to stop mavericks from telling me that I have low battery in my mouse?

It's told me 3-4 times, I rathered when the batteries go dead I just replaced them.
They aren't dead, because said mouse is still working!

the_lion fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 30, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Guni posted:

Is there any way possible I can make my 2010 21inch iMac go into target display and have something input into it?

Nope, only the 27" models can do it until recently.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Is network settings sharing now a thing between OSX and iOS now? My MBP now has a huge list of networks its never been on that more than likely came from my phone. Also, if I add/remove a device from a wireless network, the other one follows behind shortly. For example, when I get to work I put my MBP on the Wi-Fi network, but I don't connect my phone so I can still use things like gmail, facebook, etc., all the poo poo that work usually blocks. Within a few minutes though, somehow my phone got added to the network. I remove the phone from the network, and then within 5 minutes both my MBP and iPad are off the network too. Re-add the MPB and iPad, and the phone joins right back in.

Please tell me there is a way to turn this poo poo off.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mercurius posted:

It is kind of a guest option because of server but it'll complain at you if you try and run a 10.6 VM.

Here are the options on the latest version of Fusion (provided the attachment works):

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163755/vmware_fusion_update_lets_users_virtualize_leopard_snow_leopard.html

I might as well try it and see what happens.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So Mail for Mavericks is pretty garbage now, right? I know a few will joke about the "now" part, but since upgrading my Inboxes don't stay sorted. I'll delete and email or file away an email into a folder, and it will eventually copy another version of that email in the Inbox. The email stays in the folder/trash, but a new copy will make its way back into the Inbox. If I delete/move the email, and then quickly quit the program, there's a good chance that it will stay sorted, but I liked having the program open 24/7 before Mavericks.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

IUG posted:

So Mail for Mavericks is pretty garbage now, right?

Not for me. Working fine here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Anyone seen this or know a solution? 2 updates available but the top part shows nothing. It's been happening for days now.