Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

jsoh posted:

There is a unrest raising ritual, burning hearts

gently caress i'm inattentive to things that don't make a big splash in LPs. Give them a better one then i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just watch. 3 new chassis, highest atk stat between them will be 9.

But even so, imagine that on an giant Immortal Umber Hulk. Immortal, Ethereal, Fear, Life Drain? :swoon:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
... those unrest raising rituals might matter more now that there is no adjustable tax rate.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

TheDemon posted:

Amulet of Luck isn't much good on thugs anymore, because luck is different now. You'll want something like Vine Shield or maybe Floating Shield

Care to elaborate? I don't know these things :(

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

GenericOverusedName posted:

Care to elaborate? I don't know these things :(

Instead of being a 50% chance to avoid damage, it now only applies to attacks that would kill.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Luck now negates 75% of all killing blows (including magic), doesn't work on the undead or lifeless (because they're dead, their luck has already run out!).

I thought sleepers with their high defence and relatively low hitpoints might be one of the better candidates for it now.

Wonder how it'd interact with a mistformed vanjarl/sidhe lord?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 29, 2013

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Tulip posted:

gently caress i'm inattentive to things that don't make a big splash in LPs. Give them a better one then i guess.

Raging Hearts is already the best unrest ritual in the game.

Super Armatron
Nov 10, 2005
crushing gripping lifting mutilating
Fire could be a scarier tree without high level summons if it had some combat spells that carried really nasty status effects with them, even if the damage itself was resisted. Maybe a fire/astral spell that causes an explosion that horror marks or feebleminds everything nearby or something like that. Or maybe it'd be a good idea to keep fire as the "pure damage" tree but give it some spells that check against MR so that a single casting of army of gold doesn't make you completely toothless. I'm not sure what the justification for a fire spell that just does straight damage and ignores fire resistance would be, but the fact that anyone can just slap on a level 1 armor and completely ignore an entire type of magic is just a bit silly.

(comedy option, fire mages can drop sick burns that cause unresistable insanity)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
with the new resistance system, upping the damage on higher level fire spells would have the same effect

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pillar of Fire is really good (like thunderstrike but burny). Only problem is it's evo loving 8.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Pillar of Fire is really good (like thunderstrike but burny). Only problem is it's evo loving 8.

Pretty much. PoF has less AoE, but makes of for it by being Fire 2 and less fatigue for maximum spam. If it wasn't at evo 8, it'd be one of the go to spells. It could maybe use a bit more precision, but I'm probably only saying that after watching my MA Mari Grand Masters miss every drat shot because they're old...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So how badly did LA Atlantis fare in the transition to Dom 4? I kind of fell in love with them in my first multiplayer games and might want to get into this again. (It helps that Inuit/Aleut mythology is so loving creepy. A monster made from child and animal bones? Yes please.)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

(It helps that Inuit/Aleut mythology is so loving creepy. A monster made from child and animal bones? Yes please.)

wikipedia posted:

The making of a tupilaq started most often at night, in secrecy. The shaman (angakok) would don the anorak backwards, with the hood over his face, and engage in sexual contact with the bones used to make a tupilaq, singing and chanting during the entire process, which could take several days

:stonkhat:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That makes me wish that spell was more worthwhile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait, how does a man engage in sexual contact with bones?

I mean, you can't gently caress them, are you supposed to shove them up your arse while jacking off and singing or something? Is that why you need to wear your coat backwards?

How was that methodology arrived at?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Well, when a man and his bone love each other very much...

Edit: speaking of fire, it does get blindness and incinerate relatively early. That's two precision 100 "gently caress you"'s to anyone stupid enough to walk something big and nasty into your territory. If that's not scary I don't know what is.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 30, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, you can't gently caress them, are you supposed to shove them up your arse while jacking off and singing or something? Is that why you need to wear your coat backwards?

The Aristocrats!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Tests indicate that anything below MR 23 when attacking/shooting/casting damage spells/looking in the general direction at Blood Vengeance +0 units is hazardous.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 30, 2013

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

OwlFancier posted:

Atlanteans are weird, man.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well Deep Ones do have a history of mating with things that aren't Deep Ones.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

amuayse posted:

Tests indicate that anything below MR 23 when attacking/shooting/casting damage spells/looking in the general direction at Blood Vengeance +0 units is hazardous.

What values of MR do most mages start out? I imagine it could be difficult to get too much magic resistance. What methods are there anyway? Some crafted gear. Does Astral magic give mages a passive bonus to MR? Is there a spell to buff MR? Anything else?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Drain dominion gives that right? There's also a couple heroic bonii thst give some. Also 24 is real dang high so blood vengence is probably not working properly.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Astral bless adds to your MR to a maximum of 18. Astral levels just give you magic leadership. There are spells to boost MR in Astral and Earth, and there are a few items that give +4 or so, but getting most human mages (base MR in the 13-15 range) above MR25 is virtually impossible.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Poison doesn't reflect.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Finally the Mother of Monsters will be the go-to pretender chassis.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dom4 meta comes down to C'tis vs. Mictlan.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I did some testing. With a Bane that has Snake Bladder+Eye Shield+Black Steel Full Plate+Amulet of Antimagic+Lodestone Amulet for a 26 Prot and 22 MR, he managed to kill all of them. He still took massive damage and was left at half health. Lost an arm as well from just BV. And that was just against 30 B9 flagellants.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

amuayse posted:

And that was just against 30 B9 flagellants.

Incidentally, spamming B9 flagellants is my new favorite way to beat* B9 bless jags.

*may not actually work. It will be hilarious though.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
B9A9N9 is something I would like to see. Pseudo-invincibility.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do I convince my priests to actually bless the useful sacreds instead of just themselves? A serpent acolyte with extra hp, strength, regeneration and blood vengeance is nice and all but it doesn't exactly help with keeping the hydras alive.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Asehujiko posted:

How do I convince my priests to actually bless the useful sacreds instead of just themselves? A serpent acolyte with extra hp, strength, regeneration and blood vengeance is nice and all but it doesn't exactly help with keeping the hydras alive.

Hydras aren't sacred anymore? :ssh:

edit: Nevermind. Late age ones are, apparently.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Victor Vermis posted:

Hydras aren't sacred anymore? :ssh:

They are for Serpent Cult. I don't think they ever were for MA Pythium.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
They're 1 per month, cap-only. :negative:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
So aside from MA Hydras not being sacred, H1 priests have a range of 10 on their bless. Serpent Acolytes aren't MA, though. Theurg Acolyte? No, I presume you're dealing with LA to have access to Serpent Acolytes. Since the Serpent Acoylytes (almost) and Serpent Priests (quite a bit more) have poison resistance, why not jam them right up with the hydras and get caught up in the AoE bless while you're at it.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I'm mid game in an EA tien'chi game against the computer - what's the best sacred for them? Demons of the heavenly rivers seem pretty good but I just got access to heavenly fires and can't tell if they're better or not.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hydras are too slow to mass for expansion anyway. Put a group of 4 adults & 4-5 hatchlings under a Hydra Tamer and pair with a serpent priest. Move slowly up to the front and terrorize your foes.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Brillo_Pad posted:

I'm mid game in an EA tien'chi game against the computer - what's the best sacred for them?
Warriors of the Five Elements, because they won't use up all of your gems. Of the summonables, Celestial Soldiers. Really good unit. But you don't get all that many of any of the summoned ones just because of the cost.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good strat with LA Ulm? Seems like their Pikeneers might be good chaff now that repel works.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pikeneers aren't very good, but they're pretty much all you've got. They absolutely require arrow decoys otherwise they die like flies. Rangers are decent though, if you can stop them from killing all your men with friendly fire.

I had some success versus the AI with an awake blood fountain specced to summon vampire counts.

First few turns hire wolfherds to summon free patrollers. Blood hunt with the fountain from turn one and summon counts when you have 44 slaves (that's the entirety of the plan!). Later you can use your fountain to do ritual of five gates or something. Death 4 means you can summon spectres for a little diversity (not that much though).

With growth 2, even with hunting and patrols your capital population goes up (I've yet to try growth 1, might be possible to get some extra points). You can usually knock out your first count by month 5/6, and it grows exponentially from there.

The fact that you don't need a fort to hire researchers is handy too.

Edit: because I keep thinking of more stuff.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
With LA Ulm, you want to expand with rangers & a small group of blockers. Versus other players, you want to be a sneaky bastard and put spies in all their forts and alpha-strike with stealth armies.

• Locked thread