Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I'm quite enjoying watching these 350+ run changes tbh. These pitches would be a disgrace in Tests. In T20/ODIs, I enjoy high run chases more than 200-250s where the middle overs are dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

These wickets exist because no other team apart from India benefits from them as much.

India's filled with ODI flat track bullies and these wickets have no spin, no seam, no swing and just the right amount of pace and bounce so even the most mediocre batsman can middle every ball (thus even Australia scoring 320+ like it's nothing). They completely take the art of bowling out of the game, so India doesn't suffer with its shithouse bowling ""attack"" in these sorts of games.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In a more competitive ODI, Morne Morkel's currently gone for 10 off 7 overs against Pakistan, and the Saffers still look like losing unless Pakistan do a Pakistan.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pakistan did a Pakistan.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

goatface posted:

Pakistan did a Pakistan.

You could say they "cashed in" on their "opportunity".

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Shaun Marsh made 42 in his first innings against Victoria so he should hopefully be out of the picture now. Ahmed took 6 wickets so if they're still unsure about Lyon for whatever reason then he could end up being picked.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Funny that England are in Australia before Australia actually are.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Scylo posted:

Shaun Marsh made 42 in his first innings against Victoria so he should hopefully be out of the picture now. Ahmed took 6 wickets so if they're still unsure about Lyon for whatever reason then he could end up being picked.

42 you say? Sounds like he's on the verge of a huge score and should be brought into the Ashes team immediately.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
NO NOOOO NOONOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOO

AAAAGH

FOR gently caress'S loving SAKE

strangebru
Oct 3, 2011

Hyperriker posted:

NO NOOOO NOONOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOO

AAAAGH

Didn't you hear? He's bowling really fast at the moment!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm hoping that Starc and Johnson will combine forces. They'd be the Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll of cricket.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
What are those names and do they mean comedy?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Hyperriker posted:

Flash in the pan football players. Downing was a left footed winger who was meant to be the final part of the puzzle for England. Andy Carroll was a big forward who was banging them in and who liked to put his foot in which England's yobbo fans love.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Hyperriker posted:

NO NOOOO NOONOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOO

AAAAGH

He has a game at the WACA, he has 36 test wickets there and an average of 19.66. He is going to play in the first test.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

notaspy posted:

Flash in the pan football players. Downing was a left footed winger who was meant to be the final part of the puzzle for England. Andy Carroll was a big forward who was banging them in and who liked to put his foot in which England's yobbo fans love.

Downing was decent for a long time, Carroll had 3 months of playing well before becoming the most expensive English player of all time

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Look at the state of this mutha who scored a hundred in England's warm up match http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/player/326637.html

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hyperriker posted:

They were going to be world beaters and then flopped hopelessly no matter how much supporters say they are loved.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hyperriker posted:

NO NOOOO NOONOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOO

AAAAGH

Not ashamed enough by the 1-3 drubbing last Ashes, Australia is going for a 0-5 whitewash

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why has little Joey Root bowled more overs than little Benny Stokes?

Besides his vastly superior economy, obviously.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
There's also the fact that England didn't actually pick a spinner.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

NO NOOOO NOONOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOO

AAAAGH

Ashes as good as won, mate.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Got about the same average as Jimmy Anderson, so I guess it shouldnt be too bad...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ilanin posted:

There's also the fact that England didn't actually pick a spinner.

They picked 5 (well, 4.5) bowlers. It's a warm up game. If they're going to switch them out in favour of a part-timer, what's the loving point?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say that England will not win the test series. Broad, Tremlett, Finn, Rankin - they barely get away with having two of the big leaky shithouses in the side, and they could quite easily end up having to play all four of them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lionel Richie posted:

I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say that England will not win the test series. Broad, Tremlett, Finn, Rankin - they barely get away with having two of the big leaky shithouses in the side, and they could quite easily end up having to play all four of them.

They are only bowling to an Australia where literally the only batsman with a clue has a dodgy back, England's going to still have a field day

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
They did alright in the last couple of tests. Anderson and Swann (both coming towards the end of their careers) aside, England's bowling just isn't very good. Broad will knock a side over on his own about one game in seven or so but is below-average the rest of the time, Tremlett has not actually recovered from injury, Finn is extremely expensive if he's not taking wickets quickly, and Rankin's probably not quick enough.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Everything will be alright if Bailey is picked.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i didn't even realise rankin was in the squad. probably won't be staying up to watch this series ngl

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

On the other hand: Shaun Marsh, Mitchell Johnson, Xavier Doherty

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thehappyprince posted:

i didn't even realise rankin was in the squad. probably won't be staying up to watch this series ngl

I know, it's not fun winning by an innings after 2 days

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

An English cricketer who might not be a disgusting tory???

mark butcher @markbutcher72
anybody else feel that drone attacks are just terrorism dressed up in a dinner suit?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If this warm up game is an indication of the pitches we'll have for the ashes, its going to be a 0-0 drawn series.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Giles for coach, Broad for captain, more drone strikes, in my opinion.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lionel Richie posted:

Giles for coach, Broad for captain, more drone strikes, in my opinion.

Good plan, get Giles and Broad in the same place for the drone strike. Saves on missiles.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So, thehappyprince, are you going to create a new thread before this Ashes series, or wait until England have won it so the title can be appropriately descriptive?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It should be the "2014 Cricket Thread - 1 billion Indians no longer watching"

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i think burn down canberra should write the new thread on 1/1/14

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Well it's loving evident that the current thread title still loving applies

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'm bored of seeing this thread title, it was old 2 years ago, it was a poor choice by the OP, someone make a new thread before the Ashes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

why dont you make a new thread if you're so good at things lionel eh

• Locked thread