Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Badger of Basra posted:

Is this really true? How does a Hispanic Democrat in San Antonio not at the very least learn Spanish if they don't speak it natively?

He has been trying to learn lately. Some parents, even if they personally learned it as a second language, will try to get their kids to speak English as a first language so they fit in better in the majority English-speaking professional world.

It certainly hasn't stopped him being elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

crowfeathers posted:

Some parents, even if they personally learned it as a second language, will try to get their kids to speak English as a first language so they fit in better in the majority English-speaking professional world.

I know that this is true but I think its sad and if Texas, I live here by the way, would pull its head out of its rear end it would embrace the teaching of spanish as a second language as mandatory in the schools and all Texas would profit from it. It's almost become a necessity now from a business perspective so why not embrace it.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

radical meme posted:

I know that this is true but I think its sad and if Texas, I live here by the way, would pull its head out of its rear end it would embrace the teaching of spanish as a second language as mandatory in the schools and all Texas would profit from it. It's almost become a necessity now from a business perspective so why not embrace it.

Texas does in fact require a few years of a second language in order to graduate. It doesn't have to be Spanish, but in practice it usually is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StarMagician posted:

Texas does in fact require a few years of a second language in order to graduate. It doesn't have to be Spanish, but in practice it usually is.

Yep, it's a split between Spanish, French, German, and Latin, but of those Spanish has the most potential AP credit so for linguistics people it's the most attractive.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, you have to take it in school, but usually that means highschool; the result is lots of people who sort of know the language but can't speak it fluently in the way you'd need to if you were going to actually give a speech or campaign using it. Por ejemplo, puedo hablar un poco espanol pero es muy dificil.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

crowfeathers posted:

Por ejemplo, puedo hablar un poco espanol pero es muy dificil.

Perdón, pero el pengüino a cuadros está en mi cuarto de baño. :ese:

And that's the only high school Spanish I remember. High school language courses are basically worthless except to encourage continuation in college.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey Dan of Cedar Rapids, what do you think of Ted Cruz?

quote:

”He is making a name for himself right now. His notoriety among Republicans is good, mostly. Some may disagree he did defund it, because there’s some argument about that. We see a lot of these politicians coming up through the ranks, going off to Washington and just like Star Trek, remember the Borg? They’re flying along and then the Borg gets them and they went talking one way and now they come back and they’re marching like everybody else. Cruz is talking the way we feel.”

So Cruz is basically Captain Janeway. Got it!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wait, so who's Q in the above scenario (since it was Q that introduced Picard and company to the Borg)?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

Wait, so who's Q in the above scenario (since it was Q that introduced Picard and company to the Borg)?

Reagan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said Sunday he's still mulling a race president in 2016.

"I don't know yet, and I think it's too early," the chairman of the Republican Governors Association said on "Fox News Sunday."

Instead, he pushed the association's "America Next" program, saying the Republican Party needs to "win the war of ideas" first.

He wants the initiative to lead the way with detailed proposals for how the party would improve health care, education and energy policy if they were to take the White House.

OK, keep us posted on any of that, should it develop, Bobbdy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

I went looking for information about this "America Next" program from the RGA, figuring I could get a fun posting out of what was certainly a hilarious effort to try and present thrice-warmed over Reagan/Gingrich leftovers as bold and forward-looking alternatives to stuck-in-the mud Democrat [sic] policies.

But there's literally nothing about it online. The only mention is that blip from Jindal's interview this morning. It has no website, it's nowhere be be found on the RGA's site, there's no press release announcing it. It doesn't exist.

I guess we've reached the point where it's so widely understood that these sort of programs are just 12th-generation blurry photocopies of the same poo poo that was in 1994's "Contract For America" that even the people promoting it can't be bothered to fill in the details. Everyone knows it's just blah blah enterprise credits blah health savings accounts blah excellence blah blah repeal job-killing regulation blah, so why not just give it a name and be done with it? In 2014 he'll be talking about his "Secure The Future" plan and in 2015 he'll introduce his "Forward America" platform and no one will bother to check if there are any details because everyone knows its just the same poo poo over and over and over.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Joementum posted:

Presumably "America Next" is step two of the RGA's much more popular "Me First" program.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Scott Walker will never be elected president purely because his face looks like he has fetal alcohol syndrome.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Hey Dan of Cedar Rapids, what do you think of Ted Cruz?

So Cruz is basically Captain Janeway. Got it!

:allears:

The dream race.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Dumb question but which comes first the Republican or Democratic primaries?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Dumb question but which comes first the Republican or Democratic primaries?

It is possible, in theory, for them to be out of sync and that happens in maybe one state each cycle, but for the most part they will happen at the same time.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks. For some reason I remember McCain already being decided while Hillary and Obama were still going at it back in 2008. I guess the D primaries just lasted longer that round.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Thanks. For some reason I remember McCain already being decided while Hillary and Obama were still going at it back in 2008. I guess the D primaries just lasted longer that round.

Republican primaries were still going on, it's just that they didn't matter because McCain already had it sewn up, so there was no coverage in the media.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Correct. That said, the Democratic primaries are structured in such a way that they have a better chance of lasting longer. Republicans give each state three "superdelegates", usually the state party chairman and two people he picks. Democrats give all of their nationally elected officials a vote in the nomination contest, meaning that (in 2008 for example) there were 4,233 voting Democratic delegates compared to the 2,380 voting delegates at the RNC. This means that the threshold a Democratic candidate needs to reach in order to lock in the nomination is significantly higher than that for a Republican.

Usually this doesn't matter because by the end of Super Tuesday it's obvious who is going to win, but if there are two strong competitors, as there was in 2008, it will cause the primary to stretch on.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Joementum posted:

Correct. That said, the Democratic primaries are structured in such a way that they have a better chance of lasting longer. Republicans give each state three "superdelegates", usually the state party chairman and two people he picks. Democrats give all of their nationally elected officials a vote in the nomination contest, meaning that (in 2008 for example) there were 4,233 voting Democratic delegates compared to the 2,380 voting delegates at the RNC. This means that the threshold a Democratic candidate needs to reach in order to lock in the nomination is significantly higher than that for a Republican.

Usually this doesn't matter because by the end of Super Tuesday it's obvious who is going to win, but if there are two strong competitors, as there was in 2008, it will cause the primary to stretch on.

Speaking of this, I remember hearing that the RNC was going to change delegate selection up given how miserable the 2012 primary process was for them. Do we know exactly what they've changed yet? Did they completely get rid of caucuses given the Ron Paul shenanigans? Has Florida tried jumping the line yet again?

I think the DNC still has the same system from 2008 without any major changes but I could be wrong there.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I have not had bromance relations with that Democrat, Mister Obama:

Chris Christie posted:

The potential Republican 2016 presidential candidate made a point to clear up the misconception in an interview with the Philadelphia Inquirer published Sunday, discussing the approaching one-year anniversary of the storm.

“It was a handshake like you would shake hands with anyone,” he said. “It was a perfectly natural, casual, normal type of greeting between two people. And you know, it’s become legend.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's a link to a longer description in the OP, but the Republican rules change is that delegates are now bound based on the first round of caucus votes, rather than the last round at the state convention.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Just look at those two comrades :3:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sir Tonk posted:

:allears:

The dream race.

Warren would win by 20 points solely due to the terrible optics of Cruz talking down to a sweet old lady in every debate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

nachos posted:

Warren would win by 20 points solely due to the terrible optics of Cruz talking down to a sweet old lady in every debate.

Think Warren v. Brown on a national stage. I can see Cruz latching onto that BS story about Warren's heritage that Brown spent the last months of the campaign flogging desperately.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Alter Ego posted:

Think Warren v. Brown on a national stage. I can see Cruz latching onto that BS story about Warren's heritage that Brown spent the last months of the campaign flogging desperately.

Cruz would just be touchy about the term 'native American' but for the wrong reasons

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Alter Ego posted:

This is an interesting point though--if Warren were elected, would she be the first Native American president? That's a ceiling that's needed to be broken for quite some time.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Charles Curtis was Vice President for Hoover back in the 30s.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Looks like Joe Biden's up to his old tricks:

quote:

Rachel Maddow MSNBC ‏@maddow 13m
I've done my darndest to avoid anything 2016-related, but we have an exclusive tonight on plagiarism and one of the 2016 likely candidates.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I want to see Chris Christie debate against Ted Cruz so bad.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

xbilkis posted:

Looks like Joe Biden's up to his old tricks:

Turns out Rand Paul's eugenics speech at Liberty University was largely cribbed from the wikipedia entry on Gattaca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpXAknykeg

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

comes along bort posted:

Turns out Rand Paul's eugenics speech at Liberty University was largely cribbed from the wikipedia entry on Gattaca.
Mmmmmyup...

Wikipedia posted:

In "the not-too-distant future", liberal eugenics is common and DNA plays the primary role in determining social class. Vincent Freeman is conceived and born without the aid of this technology. He has a high probability of developing mental disorders, is myopic, has a heart defect, and his projected life expectancy is only 30.2 years.

Rand Paul posted:

In the movie Gattaca, in "the not-too-distant future," eugenics is common and DNA plays the primary role in determining your social class. Vincent Freeman is conceived, though, and born the old-fashioned way, without the aid of genetic selection. It turns out he's very near-sighted, he has a heart defect, his projected lifespan is only 30.2 years.

Wikipedia posted:

Due to frequent screening, Vincent faces genetic discrimination and prejudice. The only way he can achieve his dream of becoming an astronaut is to become a "borrowed ladder", a person who impersonates a "valid" with a superior genetic profile.[2] He assumes the identity of Jerome Eugene Morrow, a former swimming star with a genetic profile "second to none", who had been injured in a car accident, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. Vincent "buys" Jerome's identity and uses his "valid" DNA in blood, hair, tissue, and urine samples to pass screening.

Rand Paul posted:

Due to frequent screenings, Vincent faces genetic discrimination and prejudice. The only way he can achieve his dream of being an astronaut is he has to become what's called a "borrowed ladder." He has to steal, or impersonate, the DNA from a "valid" person, someone with acceptable gene DNA. He assumes the identity of Jerome Morrow, a world-class swimming star whose genetic profile is said to be secondary to none. He's been paralyzed, paralyzed, so Jerome (sic) buys his identity and uses his DNA -- his blood, his hair, his tissue, his urine -- to pass the screenings that happen on a daily basis.
...Yeah, you get the idea. The only copy of the speech I could find was this crappy audience video, but watch and read along.

Almost as funny as regurgitating the Wikipedia plot "summary" is what Paul chose to modify, saying Vincent doesn't just impersonate but "steal" the other guy's DNA. Of course the Pauls know just how fleet of foot DNA thieves can be.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Just look at those two comrades :3:

And he's a RINO for shaking hands with that Muslim.

Rand Paul and his Eugenics plagiarism speech at Liberty University makes me wish 2016 was closer. If this is the kind of thing he's saying now trying to help out the Cooch eight days before he loses the election, imagine what the 2015-2016 primary debates are going to be like? :allears:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Kay Hagan just outed a secret pledge amongst every female Democrat in the Senate to support Hillary Clinton in 2016, which puts the expected hold on Gillibrand's potential candidacy and throws some wrenches into people trying to draft Elizabeth Warren.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Kay Hagan just outed a secret pledge amongst every female Democrat in the Senate to support Hillary Clinton in 2016, which puts the expected hold on Gillibrand's potential candidacy and throws some wrenches into people trying to draft Elizabeth Warren.

I seriously think people need to stop pushing for Warren, even jokingly, as a Presidential candidate. Leave her in the loving Senate, that place is a shithole, and it's a near better sight with her and Bernie there, than not.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You forgot that it also stops Klobucharmentum dead in its tracks. She's visited Iowa several times already this year!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't want any Presidents West of the Mississippi. I demand the smuggest New Englander, it's time to piss off the conservative fatherland.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I seriously think people need to stop pushing for Warren, even jokingly, as a Presidential candidate. Leave her in the loving Senate, that place is a shithole, and it's a near better sight with her and Bernie there, than not.

Plus, I'm so goddamn tired of special elections in MA :sigh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nonsense posted:

While most of it is just starry-eyed dreaming, there could be legitimate value to a Warren- or Bernie-led primary challenge from the left, in that by doing so Hillary (or Biden, in the unlikely event Hillary didn't run or he prevailed over her) might thereby shift the overall Democratic platform a step or two in that direction, all the while not jeopardizing their standing in the Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah, were really boned either way, Warren is lucky to be a senator and Hillary is going to be literally more DLC garbage.

• Locked thread