Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you plan to keep a lot of games on it then it's not enough. I just use mine for pdf/ebooks/comics and I have plenty of space on 16gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
If you never used your old iPad then why are you getting a new one? :confused:

I'd go with the 16 in this case, unless you see yourself picking up on some mobile touchscreen gaming.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Hey guys.

So my mom is about to lose her job, and I got an email from her asking for "a 10" iPad for Christmas." From subsequently talking to her on the phone, it seems she's calling every tablet that exists an "iPad", but considering I bought her a Mac a few years ago and she loves it, I plan on getting her an actual iPad. I already have two myself. I want to get her a full-size iPad, since she doesn't have the best eyesight and a mini is a little too small.

Here's the thing: She absolutely does not need cellular or anything absolutely cutting-edge, and I don't want to spend a poo poo-ton of cash on something she's not going to even approach using to its limits. That said, I also want to get her a new unit with a warranty. The Apple refurb store prices a 3rd Gen iPad at $359 which isn't awful, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any place where I can get a better deal on an older yet still new unit.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Mu Zeta posted:

If you plan to keep a lot of games on it then it's not enough. I just use mine for pdf/ebooks/comics and I have plenty of space on 16gigs.

I don't really play games on my phone and I don't really see that changing much for the iPad either. I might play the occasional great one for a while but I have no issue deleting it when I'm done.

Wario In Real Life posted:

If you never used your old iPad then why are you getting a new one? :confused:

Yeah, this is a fair point. Mainly, I now have a large library of full colour textbooks that I want to get through and my job has changed in the past few years so I want to use it for prototyping/wireframing/planning websites and generally just at/for work.

I think 16GB is probably enough then, thanks for that. Sorry for the slightly confusing question.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any reason for me to get the Air over the Mini?

I'm mainly going to be using it to read comics and browse Awful/Twitter.

I had a 3 which was just too heavy and sold it to get the Mini. I just couldn't enjoying using it for long with the lovely screen resolution, but I loved the form factor.

I was sold on the Mini but with the Air being so light I'm starting to consider it.

Would one be better than the other for Comixology/Comic Zeal? The Air has a larger screen but the Mini has higher DPI, I'm stumped :ohdear:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Accipiter posted:

Hey guys.

So my mom is about to lose her job, and I got an email from her asking for "a 10" iPad for Christmas." From subsequently talking to her on the phone, it seems she's calling every tablet that exists an "iPad", but considering I bought her a Mac a few years ago and she loves it, I plan on getting her an actual iPad. I already have two myself. I want to get her a full-size iPad, since she doesn't have the best eyesight and a mini is a little too small.

Here's the thing: She absolutely does not need cellular or anything absolutely cutting-edge, and I don't want to spend a poo poo-ton of cash on something she's not going to even approach using to its limits. That said, I also want to get her a new unit with a warranty. The Apple refurb store prices a 3rd Gen iPad at $359 which isn't awful, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any place where I can get a better deal on an older yet still new unit.
I'll sell you my mint condition iPad3 (32GB) for like $300ish.

EDIT: Oops didn't see the part about a warranty.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

101 posted:

Is there any reason for me to get the Air over the Mini?

I'm mainly going to be using it to read comics and browse Awful/Twitter.

I had a 3 which was just too heavy and sold it to get the Mini. I just couldn't enjoying using it for long with the lovely screen resolution, but I loved the form factor.

I was sold on the Mini but with the Air being so light I'm starting to consider it.

Would one be better than the other for Comixology/Comic Zeal? The Air has a larger screen but the Mini has higher DPI, I'm stumped :ohdear:

Everyone is asking about comic use, amazing. I actually came here to ask but it's like 7 people in2 pages. I'd probably echo to play with both, but if you use comixology's guided view mode them the mini should offer minimal difference.

What I do want to know is... The mini and the Air have the same specs this time around, correct?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm getting an Air to read comic books too, because the Mini annoys me with all the pointing and dragging you have to do to fit panels and so on. It's just nicer to have the whole page (or almost) and not continuously have to focus on moving the image around.

Feenix posted:

I just want you all to know that despite not being an incredibly wealthy household, we're not selling any of our 2 current iPads as I get an Air.

Instead, I'm going to get a specialized picture frame and hang it on the wall downstairs and strip it of ALL apps except home automation ones.

This will be good if our phones or iPads aren't handy, or also for the nanny.

Right now, our iDevices can control:

Our Sonos system.
The baby monitor Dropcam.
My Nest thermostat.
Our Philips Hue Lights and lightstrips throughout the house.
Possibly a video doorbell thinger one day soon.

And the upside is one day my 10 month old can have that older iPad.

(Sorry if any of this post sounded douchey. I'm real big into home automation! :) )

Bonus image of my Philips Hue Lightstrips mounted behind my TV. Not just a novelty, but great ambient lighting for TV watching.

This is all awesome. Do you have a webpage or a thread to follow / try to do this kind of poo poo? We're finally living in the future.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Accipiter posted:

Hey guys.

Go for 4th gen at a minimum. It'll just feel snappier with iOS 7. Otherwise, an apple store refurb is probably a good way to go.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm getting an Air to read comic books too, because the Mini annoys me with all the pointing and dragging you have to do to fit panels and so on. It's just nicer to have the whole page (or almost) and not continuously have to focus on moving the image around.

This is all awesome. Do you have a webpage or a thread to follow / try to do this kind of poo poo? We're finally living in the future.

Not really. It's hard enough getting any of this done with a 10 month old and having any free time. But I will happily provide a pic or two (and detail any advice or pitfalls to avoid) if I come across any, once it's done. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

Bonus image of my Philips Hue Lightstrips mounted behind my TV. Not just a novelty, but great ambient lighting for TV watching.

I'm having a hard time digging up info on this thing. The starter pack ($199) is apparently the only way to get the Bridge, which is required for the light strip ($89) to work. So you're almost $300 into it at this point?

Also, how is it getting a video signal from your TV in order to adjust the color of the strip to match?

I DID find a XBMC add-on which will work with it, but if rather it work with my receiver's HDMI out if possible.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

I'm having a hard time digging up info on this thing. The starter pack ($199) is apparently the only way to get the Bridge, which is required for the light strip ($89) to work. So you're almost $300 into it at this point?

Also, how is it getting a video signal from your TV in order to adjust the color of the strip to match?

I DID find a XBMC add-on which will work with it, but if rather it work with my receiver's HDMI out if possible.

Sorry, I guess this is only VERY loosely related to iDevices in general, but you are right. I got the 3 light starter pack and then the Light strip. (and then another light strip, and then the bloom.)

While yes, it's expensive to start with, it's pretty rad.

The color matching my theme was just my manually setting it. If you ever find a way or a hack or an app or something that will have it match like the Ambilight TV, please PM me. I AM ALL EARS!

:)

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Eboracum posted:

Echoing that the Anandtech review has swung it for me.

I've not had an iPad for a few years after I sold my iPad 3 as I wasn't really using it enough.

I had a 32GB then but I think I'm going to go for the 16GB now as I'm unlikely to store much on it other than PDF/eBooks. My music will be on my laptop or iPhone and I'll be streaming any video.

Am I crazy for thinking 16GB is enough? My iPhone is 32GB and will have most of my photos on and anything large I'll store on an external drive or laptop until I want to use it.

As 16GB iPad 3 owner, my thoughts are that you MIGHT be alright. A few hundred photos and a few music playlists were enough to leave my iPad feeling cramped - in recent months, I've had to start deleting apps to keep enough space free, and I didn't have the 3.4GB needed to do an OTA upgrade to iOS 7. You should be okay so long as you're not loading the iPad full of games - me, though, I'm getting a 32GB Air.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I know supplies should be OK Friday, but I am still getting up at 3AM or whatever it is in EDT so I can order it for in store pickup. Going to snag the 32GB .. can't wait!

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I'm wondering what time Wal-Mart will start selling them, nearest Apple store is 5 hours away.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bankok posted:

I'm wondering what time Wal-Mart will start selling them, nearest Apple store is 5 hours away.

Who knows .. I might check ours at midnight, but it seems with every other device launch our local wally world gets nothing.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Sorry, I guess this is only VERY loosely related to iDevices in general, but you are right. I got the 3 light starter pack and then the Light strip. (and then another light strip, and then the bloom.)

The color matching my theme was just my manually setting it. If you ever find a way or a hack or an app or something that will have it match like the Ambilight TV, please PM me. I AM ALL EARS!

I have an app that does ambient lighting with my Hue. You have to point your phone camera at the TV so it's kinda stupid. There is a website some guy has that has a XBMC plugin that does it but the lag was bad when I tried it months ago.

I have a plugin that dims my lights 50% when I play content, and when I pause/finish a movie it goes up to 100% again. I get a lot of props from friends when I do it.

I want to put the Bloom light behind my TV and have it change based on what's on the TV.

Problem is light bulb costs and the fact that there's not much hacking going on with the Hue. It's a slow burn.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

So what color iPad Air are you people planning to buy?

I am on the fence between space gray with the black bezel and silver with a white bezel. With the iPhone I've always gone black because I like the black bezel, but with iOS7 I think the white bezel compliments it well - so now I am not sure.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Black makes the screen colors look deeper, I think.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

sbyers77 posted:

So what color iPad Air are you people planning to buy?

I am on the fence between space gray with the black bezel and silver with a white bezel. With the iPhone I've always gone black because I like the black bezel, but with iOS7 I think the white bezel compliments it well - so now I am not sure.
I want to try something new this time, too (I've gone white bezel w/ green Smart Cover twice now), but I just don't really like the color combos on any of the other colors.

I'm probably going to be boring and pick white and green again...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

I still have an Ambilight TV in our guest bedroom, and my wife is always dropping comments about wanting to get the same kind of thing on our newer TVs. I even bought an arduino and some strip lights to do it, but :effort:

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

eddiewalker posted:

Black makes the screen colors look deeper, I think.

This. After black iPads (1 & 2), I wanted to switch things up and went with a white 3. I regret it, especially when consuming media in the dark. When watching videos in bed and the like the white bezel is distracting.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
I'm considering buying an iPad for the first time as a laptop replacement. I do have a laptop already, but it's bulky and heavy, and is no good for using in lectures and seminars because it takes an age to load, and takes up too much space. Ideally what I want is something for viewing documents, and something that will allow me to do a bit of typing too. Not essay writing, but typing for the purposes of taking brief notes while reading a book. I'll keep my laptop for when I need to do serious computer work.

I'm wondering if people think an iPad would be appropriate for me? Obviously it's great for viewing documents, but what about word processing (I'd buy some sort of keyboard to go with it)? I know you can buy iPad covers that double as keyboards, but is it also possible to buy a standalone (but mobile) bluetooth keyboard to use with the iPad?

I really like the size of the iPad mini, but I guess that would be less appropriate for word processing, even if it is possible to buy a standalone keyboard to use with it.

Any advice much appreciated.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I prefer black bezels as well. I find that they look much better and are less distracting, especially when watching videos or playing games.

Too bad the 3GS was the last iPhone to have a black front bezel with white back.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Whitefish posted:

I'm considering buying an iPad for the first time as a laptop replacement. I do have a laptop already, but it's bulky and heavy, and is no good for using in lectures and seminars because it takes an age to load, and takes up too much space. Ideally what I want is something for viewing documents, and something that will allow me to do a bit of typing too. Not essay writing, but typing for the purposes of taking brief notes while reading a book. I'll keep my laptop for when I need to do serious computer work.

I'm wondering if people think an iPad would be appropriate for me? Obviously it's great for viewing documents, but what about word processing (I'd buy some sort of keyboard to go with it)? I know you can buy iPad covers that double as keyboards, but is it also possible to buy a standalone (but mobile) bluetooth keyboard to use with the iPad?

I really like the size of the iPad mini, but I guess that would be less appropriate for word processing, even if it is possible to buy a standalone keyboard to use with it.

Any advice much appreciated.

Amazon has a BT keyboard that was surprisingly decent for the price that I have used with my iPad a few times to take notes in Evernote and such. Work gave me a laptop so I use that now, but if you want to go that route, there's plenty of good BT keyboards out there.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

terriyaki posted:

Too bad the 3GS was the last iPhone to have a black front bezel with white back.

I really want an iPhone 6 in black with a gold back

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Bankok posted:

There's already reports of Walmart having them in and ready to sell. I assume that if they have them and you can't just buy one now, they'll be available Midnight on Friday.

terriyaki posted:

I prefer black bezels as well. I find that they look much better and are less distracting, especially when watching videos or playing games.

Pretty sure the 5C is white with a black bezel.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Any word on other stores price matching Walmart?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bulbous nub posted:

All 5C's have a black bezel, so yeah.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is annoying me recently (like it might have only started today), but it seems like no one's mentioning it on the internet yet:

YouTube is cracking down on the mp4 streams it gives out now and all embedded youtube videos played on iOS devices seem to be the 360p horribly compressed feed with no option to increase resolution without opening the YouTube app or going to their site in a browser. My normal YouTube viewer app, Jasmine, has also been affected and now it can only display the low-res streams.

I'm depressed about this change. Am I just the first one to discover this?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

bulbous nub posted:

Endless Mike posted:

All 5C's have a black bezel, so yeah.

Oh yeah, I always forget about the 5C.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would use a keyboard with my ipad/phone more often if hitting enter on the keyboard meant 'send' in whatever message app I am using.

using a keyboard and then having to tap the screen is just so frustratingly unintuitive.

I have an awesome logitech keyboard too, with 3 BT channels so I could control my mac, phone and tablet with it but it serves no purpose if I have to interact with the device screen.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Anyone buying a new iPad Air should check out the $1 Skinomi Frontside / Backside Screen Protector Pre-Order going on at Amazon.

The shipping is $2.95 but getting an official Skinomi Screen Protector for $4 is really a steal.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I'm going to get an Air and use it for a week. If I don't like the bigger size, I will return it and wait for the mini.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jet Ready Go posted:

Anyone buying a new iPad Air should check out the $1 Skinomi Frontside / Backside Screen Protector Pre-Order going on at Amazon.

The shipping is $2.95 but getting an official Skinomi Screen Protector for $4 is really a steal.

What's the application process like for the back side? I've always used cases with a rear shell, but a really thin device with a Smart Cover might be cool if the skin is enough protection.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

a really thin device with a Smart Cover might be cool if the skin is enough protection.
This is what I did with my iPad 3 and 4 and I find it a really nice solution.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Anyone use iPads for reading scientific articles in PDF form? I've played with both and prefer the mini form factor but I worry that the smaller screen will get annoying over time.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
So, with the TMo dealio, the ipad cost is the same, ie a 16gb Air will be $629 - but the bonus is you can get some free data, TMo is not actually discounting the retail cost, right?

And, am I right in that unlike previous release days, the devices will be available when the store opens on Friday? I remember the ipad 2 being sold at 5pm.

Unrelated, I saw a custom KS license plate on my way home from work that read FEENIX.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

JazzFlight posted:

This is annoying me recently (like it might have only started today), but it seems like no one's mentioning it on the internet yet:

YouTube is cracking down on the mp4 streams it gives out now and all embedded youtube videos played on iOS devices seem to be the 360p horribly compressed feed with no option to increase resolution without opening the YouTube app or going to their site in a browser. My normal YouTube viewer app, Jasmine, has also been affected and now it can only display the low-res streams.

I'm depressed about this change. Am I just the first one to discover this?

Google is kind of turning into assholes :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Google is kind of turning into assholes :/

Has been my observation for a while too. It stinks because google is embedded into just about everything, and they know it.