Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I'd also want maintenance records.

That bike is only due to have had two oil changes done. Not exactly a maintenance log an inch thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

That bike is only due to have had two oil changes done. Not exactly a maintenance log an inch thick.

Not because I want them, but because he's not going to have them and it's a negotiation point cause that first oil change is real important, donchaknow.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Took a nice late ride the other night to explore some big office/business complexes and an abandoned hospital near me. Thought I might find some good areas for late-night wheelie practice and other feats. It turns out they all have night security guards who do comical things when gripped by the nervous realization that they can't really do anything to the huge orange motorcycle hopping curbs towards them in the dark. My favorite guy floored his golf cart towards me and stopped almost immediately when he realized how silly that was. Another tactic is to strobe your flashlight as fast as you can. The most effective is to stand staring with a sad, defeated look on your face, because I will immediately feel bad and leave (I work in a security-related job and understand all too well). I did find some huge piece of what looked like a airliner engine with tubes and gauges and dials all over it sitting behind one complex so that was pretty cool.

I should definitely stop doing this before I catch a well-aimed tazer.

Disclaimer: I did not set out to be a dick to night guards - like I said been there, done that. Nor did I stick around and taunt them once they made their presence known. Except maybe the strobelight guy, just a little :v:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Just ordered a new 14/47 sprocket set for the drz, would a new/longer chain be required also? The current one only has about 9k miles on it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Added the winter parka to my riding gear the other day because goddamn south central Wisconsin is just above freezing this week. How're you doing over by the lake, Jim?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So my 625 SMC has decided recently that it doesn't want to start with the e-starter and I can only get it to fire with the kick starter. This isn't the end of the world unless you somehow stall it in the middle of the road. Someone find me an affordable 690SMC or similar, newer bike. :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yerok posted:

Added the winter parka to my riding gear the other day because goddamn south central Wisconsin is just above freezing this week. How're you doing over by the lake, Jim?

They're gonna chisel Jim out of a glacier in about 10,000 years. He'll be put in a future museum, and he'll be called Wheelie Man.

code:
                     Wheelie Man:
Wheelie Man lived in the "Great Lakes" region of North America
around approximately 2000 CE. He is seen here with his "Biek", a 
wheeled conveyance powered by burning hydrocarbons derived from
decayed plant matter. His elaborate costumery and ownership of a
Biek seem to symbolize a shamanic position in his society.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 23, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

Still in the 40's to 50's here. Had my bar mittsvah today, which is the day where I put the bar mitts on the drz.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

yup getting cold out, 33F this morning when I left. gonna put pumpkins on my handlebars like that guy on youtube to stay warm (or maybe buy heated grips finally)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone else with a drz that has installed the acerbis plastics set had a problem with the back fender? Tried installing it but it has some very subtle differences from the front fender and it looks like I have one for a drz 400e/Klx 400. Is there a separate one for the s model? Everything else fits perfectly but the rear one.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I just test drove a Hypermotard Strada (Hyperstrada?). Can I still be in the Sumo club if I buy a bike that was mainly designed to be parked in front of a Starbucks?

I also learned of an 09 690 SMC for sale, but the current owner tells me that the PO "endoed" it. The positive side is that he claims it has 4k miles and wants $6500. The downside is that it has a new gauge cluster, so unknown mileage and potentially tweaked forks, frame, etc.

I think I'll stay away from that one. The Duc was nice and agile, but the extra 100+ lbs was a something I wasn't used to, and the shifting action required a lot more deliberate force to downshift than my KTM.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Go look at the 690, check for stiction in the forks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Keep looking if you really want a supermoto.

The Duc isnt a real supermoto, and the KTM sounds like more trouble than its worth at $6500. You should be paying around that for one with no damage.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
All of the 690 SMCs in Houston and Austin, and Texas in general are being listed for $9-10k which is downright silly.

I really enjoyed the 2013 Hyperstrada-- maybe I'll sell mine and buy an intermediate bike, and buy a used Hypermotard SP somewhere down the line.

I'm getting tired of wrenching on my bike, and want something that I can ride regularly and service minimally instead of the opposite of that.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 28, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don't force yourself into a specific category of motorcycle for some arbitrary reason. If you really like the Hyperstrada, get it.

I was dead set on getting a 'proper' supermoto, but I bought an XT660X instead. I mean yeah, it's got the styling, but it's really more like if you started the supermoto conversion with a dualsport instead of a motocross bike. So it's bigger and less high-strung, but it's tons of fun and definitely the right bike at the right time for me.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
What bikes did you try before getting the XT?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel based on looking at three years' worth of KTM listings I honestly would rather just sink the money get a brand new one from the dealership. If I'm already spending twice what I would on any other motorcycle I may as well get a shiny new one for like three times more and have warranty support and the latest and greatest. Plus, it's the "shiny new vehicle" American thing to do without paying out the rear end for a shiny new vehicle. :downs:

Then again I doubt I'd ever have 6 grand in repairs to a used motorcycle and buying used with rabid scrutiny will save me far more money in the long run v :) v

APikeyReaction
Apr 13, 2007

Snowmobile ho’s on a cocaine mountain... Makin’ so much dough, better call my account’n!
Has anybody had a run in with a Suzuki DR650 supermoto? A buddy of mine is selling his stock DR and I was wondering if it was worth the hassle to convert it over. I've been looking for a bigger sumo for awhile and I think that this may be the way to go depending on general opinion.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The DRZ has its downfalls I'll admit but I don't think I could cope with a KLR or XT kind of "supermoto". I don't know if I'd totally recommend that to someone looking at a supermoto. Dual sport with tons of highway riding sure but not for messing around town or tracking it or anything. I rode a KLR before and it was just way too heavy to be what I'd consider fun day to day.

Not putting the KLR/XT down as they have a good purpose but I can't imagine anything but disappointment if you hopped off a 690SM or hypermotard onto a KLR or XT.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

APikeyReaction posted:

Has anybody had a run in with a Suzuki DR650 supermoto? A buddy of mine is selling his stock DR and I was wondering if it was worth the hassle to convert it over. I've been looking for a bigger sumo for awhile and I think that this may be the way to go depending on general opinion.

A stock DR650 isn't any more powerful or good to ride distance than a DRZ, IMO - air cooled means it's less powerful. And the suspension/chassis isn't as nice as the DRZ, and it's heavier. It's a decent bike if you're cross shopping KLRs, it's not really somethign to cross shop a DRZ400SM with.

APikeyReaction
Apr 13, 2007

Snowmobile ho’s on a cocaine mountain... Makin’ so much dough, better call my account’n!
All good news since I talked to him a little bit ago and he sold it this morning.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What bikes did you try before getting the XT?

None at all, but it felt right the moment I got on it, and it fits my riding profile and what I want and need out of a bike right now perfectly. Funky styling, bump-swallowing suspension that still handles well, long distance credibility, mule-like carrying ability, non-crazy service intervals, engine that I can beat the absolute poo poo out of on back roads without losing my license and without feeling underpowered.

Do I want an 690SM someday? Yeah, but that doesn't make the XT an inferior bike, it's just aggressively multi-purpose rather than aggressively aggressive, and I like that. I don't want to go to the track or wheelie all the time, as crazy as that sounds to the diehard supermotistas.

I got the B6 as my first bike, but this would have been a much better learner bike, honestly. Less power, but modern suspension. I'm unlearning and relearning a lot by riding it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 28, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I get where you're coming from, I was just wondering since the one time I tried the 660 I recall that the riding position was not optimal for someone my size (186cm) and IIRC you're not a midget yourself.

Lastly, I'll just quote myself from two years ago (together with a reminder that I bought a brand new SMC-R this year with an EVO2 kit...)

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's actually why I didn't like the 690 I tried. If you don't ride it To tHe ExxxTr3m3 all the time, it didn't feel like it offered more value than the DRZ. Better brakes, sure. More power, oh yes. Better suspension, not really since I'm built like Jack Skellington and it suffered from the what I've heard others refer to as "the usual WP fork". But anyway, it felt like ownership of that bike came with an obligation to flog it mercilessly all day, every day, and that’s not really why I ride. Or so I like to tell myself.

I believe that is the same reason I bought a SV650 and not a 1000. Different strokes and all that.

I eat my words with lots of sour cream.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't want to go to the track or wheelie all the time, as crazy as that sounds to the diehard supermotistas.

Fake edit:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I get where you're coming from, I was just wondering since the one time I tried the 660 I recall that the riding position was not optimal for someone my size (186cm) and IIRC you're not a midget yourself.

Lastly, I'll just quote myself from two years ago (together with a reminder that I bought a brand new SMC-R this year with an EVO2 kit...)

I eat my words with lots of sour cream.

I'm 178cm and the riding position is pretty much spot-on for me. The seat's a bit hard, or at least harder than the Bandit's, but that's probably just a matter of me having to get used to it. I rode a 250km trip on it a couple of weeks ago with a short pitstop halfway through, no real discomfort.

The lust for power is understandable and normal, but I truly honestly don't require all that much power for the street. My car has 160hp and that's enough to easily break every speed limit, but it's also low enough that I can flog it and have a lot of fun without going stupidly fast. I'd rather have a big comfy French car than something really fast and track-capable, like an M3. Same with my big orange moose of a bike. It's goofy and takes over 5 seconds to reach 100km/h, but it's just a lot of big dumb fun to ride it.

I've already lost my license once, I'm not interested in losing it again :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 29, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
So if I wanted to replace the front wheel, thanks to the PO crashing and ovaling it, I would want #14 in this diagram?

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/SUZUKI/2008/DRZ400SM/FRONT-WHEEL-(MODEL-K5~K6)

Or for what looks like a similar price, are these what I'm after?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DRZ-400-E-ES-S-SUPERMOTO-MOTARD-WHEEL-SET-17-BLACK-BLACK-/190946291168

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You can buy some warp 9 hoops and lace up your hubs to them for real cheap. 150 bucks for the wheel + spokes.

http://www.warp9racing.com/sm_rims_36_hole_front.html

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I would order that wheel, and go to the shop with it and my current wheel, and say "move my tire/hub/rotor from X to Y"?

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 30, 2013

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Lacing a wheel isn't all that tough. Problem is if the wheel was hit hard enough to oval it you'll probably need spokes as well. Not sure if you can tell if the spokes are tweaked/bent until you pull them off. You could probably lace it up and then have someone get it nice and true for you and save some money.

Looking at the warp9 site you're looking at another $90 for spokes. It still is probably cheaper than trying to track down another SM front wheel.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
What is this?
I didn't think that the 400SM came with a kickstarter, but I did a quick search and found that you can buy kits to add a kickstarter. So, either the owner went that route, or this is actually a DRZ400S (?) and he got some SM wheels, tires, and brakes?

Craigslist posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4163751348.html
2006 SUZUKI DRZ400 SM low miles dirt setup included - $3800 (lakeway)

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

The S is electric start as well, they all use the same transmission design and can have a kickstarter fitted. It has the SM swingarm and upside down forks so it's likely that it is an SM.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's probably a real sm with the kicker kit. Ultimately though, there is no way to know without looking at the various production numbers and VIN and such on it, as you can completely turn an S into an SM without any remaining visual indicators that would give it away as an S.

Only the E is visually different, since it has a non-removable subframe.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I would think based on the USD forks and swingarm it's most likely a factory SM.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's probably a real sm with the kicker kit. Ultimately though, there is no way to know without looking at the various production numbers and VIN and such on it, as you can completely turn an S into an SM without any remaining visual indicators that would give it away as an S.

Only the E is visually different, since it has a non-removable subframe.

E subframe is removable, it's just also super minimalist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm I always thought the E had the subframe welded on. Either way, they do look different than the S and SM.

My money is on that being a real SM, but people do take the time/$ to fully convert S's to SM's because the front and rear suspension as well as the swingarm are all big upgrades over the S.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you do the swingarm, shock, front forks, and triples, the S has become an SM - all other parts are identical, iirc.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I stripped off the black spray paint that the PO put on my front fender and on some new decals on the fork guards.

Edit: sorry. I posted from my phone and forgot the small thumbnail tag.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 10, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Jesus, [TIMG] that poo poo, but otherwise that looks pretty baller. I'm guessing the skate wheels on the forks and swingarm are frame sliders?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
The PO put them on. I assume that is their purpose. Ideally those and my handguards will act as effective sliders.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 10, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I stripped off the paint on my rear fender, and now I'm looking for a graphic/decal that I might place on there to break up some of the orange, and make it look a little better. I've got graphics for the tank wings in the mail, so I'm looking forward to putting those on.

Do you guys know if these sorts of decals that I've found on Ebay and Amazon will fit the SMC plastics? From the looks of it, either one would have to be cut down. I'm not sure if there's a better fit out there, though.

"03-07 KTM Rear Fender Graphic Kit 125 200 250 380 450 520 525 SX MXC EXC Decal"

"KTM Rear Fender Graphic Kit 125 200 250 380 450 520 525 93-04 SX MXC EXC Decal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You can order your own sticker packs and do those kinds of things yourself. My advice is to go hit up your local dealer and buy something small you need and have them hook you up with stickers from all the major brands. Some shops like to charge but you can probably find plenty for free. Manufacturers should be fairly happy to send you free stickers too if you email them. Barring that you could try cutting down those decals but I would think all the dirt models would have much longer rear fenders which might mess things up. No idea the validity of that but that rear fender looks pretty short compared to what I expect on dirt specific models that the sticker decals are usually made for...

• Locked thread