Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's a live question period going on. I watched it for a couple of minutes and there's a conservative MP Paul Calandra (not) answering every question with the same talking point - Mac Harb is a Liberal, and they're making these 4 senators accountable for their actions by suspending them without pay. In other words, it's like every other question period in the last 4 years, so I'm refusing to link it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Well thanks for helping me make my point. You wouldn't freak out if a till was short $5 after a gross $10 000 sales that day, right? Because that's about what $300 million per year is to the Canadian government.
If it happened day in and day out, I'd certainly look into it - just like this has been going on for a decade now. Of course at a retail level you just want to make sure your staff aren't completely loving up counting out change (a surprisingly difficult task for some people), but I'd say it's the same principle as with $300 million annually being unaccounted for in a budget. They're both small as a percentage of the total, but it adds up (obviously, since the total is now $3.1bn) and having proper record-keeping regarding our government's financials is never a bad thing.

And no, this isn't some "but the free market does it better!" Lots of companies have poo poo poor record-keeping of their finances, or let money bleed out the door for stupid reasons. But hey, I don't have experiences auditing an entire company's distribution branch, so retail - where I have looked after cash - is the experience I can fall back on.

Edit: and, of course, this wasn't $300M going missing from all expenditures. It was from a specific set of allocations, equalling around 24% of the total allocated. And you can bet I'd freak about $2400 going missing from a $10,000 till, even if that was 0.1% of the whole company's cash sales that day.

lonelywurm fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 30, 2013

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

eXXon posted:

There's a live question period going on. I watched it for a couple of minutes and there's a conservative MP Paul Calandra (not) answering every question with the same talking point - Mac Harb is a Liberal, and they're making these 4 senators accountable for their actions by suspending them without pay. In other words, it's like every other question period in the last 4 years, so I'm refusing to link it.

Calandra is the latest ventriloquist dummy MP who basically just stands up in QP and spouts talking points regardless of the question being asked. It's pretty pathetic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/21/paul-calandra-harper-duffy-question-period_n_4138504.html

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I bet if you sold off BC Liquor it would get replaced by a one or two distributors that will sell booze at even higher prices than we currently pay, because they will be more than willing to abuse their market dominance. If anything, I'm willing to bet that liquor prices are priced artificially low in BC.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ayem posted:

This is one thing I find really interesting. When I was in grad school in Ontario, I would routinely buy cheap Pelee Island wine from the LCBO for $9-12/bottle, which was cheaper than the cheap international wines. After moving to Edmonton for work, it's the complete reverse: the same international wines are much cheaper here than Ontario (or even BC) wines. Maybe I don't understand our ridiculous liquor laws here...

If you weren't buying it by the box I don't believe you were in grad school.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
The one time I was out in BC, I went to one private liquor store, and gagged at the prices, and this is someone that pays NSLC prices.

Our local wines are coming along nicely, by the way. I was never a fan of white wine, but Gaspereau Valley wines L'Acadie Blanc is quite nice. Especially for something from around here.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I met Justin Trudeau at my university today. A Bangladeshi man asked if he'd ever been to Bangladesh. "Oh yes, I've been to Dhaka and a few other major cities in Bangladesh." "Cool, when was that?" "When I was 10." A very Justin moment.

I told Trudeau to keep working on the Senate scandal, so if it brings down the government I'll claim all the credit.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

If you weren't buying it by the box I don't believe you were in grad school.

I only bought it by the bottle when I was trying to impress people.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Chamale posted:

I met Justin Trudeau at my university today.

I saw him when I walked over for lunch. Some guy was heckling him with old Reform slogans but otherwise he had an incomprehensibly thick throng of students around him.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ayem posted:

I only bought it by the bottle when I was trying to impress people.

Nothing impresses like Pelee!

Okay, I know this was posted a few pages back, but everyone go watch this again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yresaKOlr7g

Seriously, first sign of having a pair CBC has show in a looong time.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This disgusting, depraved lesbian feminist haunted house received at least five hundred tax payer dollars.

Sun is on the case.

quote:

Mayor Rob Ford is offering a traditional haunted house in his office but it was paid for with his own funds.
Everybody is welcome.

While tax money is covering the cost of the raunchy themes at Killjoy Kastle, acceptance inside is not necessarily inclusive.

QMI Agency tried to get in with a Sun News TV camera but were denied entry. I was also denied entry.

"You are from the Sun and we are not permitting you to go in," Mitchell said.

She said "hurtful, homophobic" comments by a commentator on a radio show (not affiliated with the QMI Agency) was the reason, "so you can blame him for it."

Thankfully, freedom of the press prevailed when Sun went undercover.

quote:

QMI later went in undercover and discovered bizarre displays.

They included "the polyamorous vampiring grannies and the straw feminist hall of fame" which featured pictures of Sarah Palin, Lena Dunham and Margaret Thatcher.

A disturbing feature was a "secret tunnel for women in love" where video shows a host encouraging visitors to "crawl on your hands and knees" and warns "you will get touched."

Is that art?

[...]

It is outrageous this province has difficultly funding life-saving cancer medication for a woman with a brain tumour but has money to throw around for this.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

Nothing impresses like Pelee!

Okay, I know this was posted a few pages back, but everyone go watch this again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yresaKOlr7g

Seriously, first sign of having a pair CBC has show in a looong time.
They've been acting like it's Christmas come early on the National. Peter can barely conceal his smirk.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chamale posted:

I met Justin Trudeau at my university today. A Bangladeshi man asked if he'd ever been to Bangladesh. "Oh yes, I've been to Dhaka and a few other major cities in Bangladesh." "Cool, when was that?" "When I was 10." A very Justin moment.

Wait. I'm confused. What was he supposed to say? Was he supposed to say no? Was he supposed to immediately state he hasn't been there since he was 10? gently caress he even knew a place, Dhaka. How many Canadians would know that?

I don't get Justin moments...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
well i guess that explains why he's so dumb. he must have gone diving in a well of arsenic water

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wait. I'm confused. What was he supposed to say? Was he supposed to say no? Was he supposed to immediately state he hasn't been there since he was 10? gently caress he even knew a place, Dhaka. How many Canadians would know that?

I don't get Justin moments...

This seems like one of those questions that he's not going to win no matter how he answers. I'm sure if he said he didn't go the response would be that he's too sheltered and unworldly.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BattleMaster posted:

This seems like one of those questions that he's not going to win no matter how he answers. I'm sure if he said he didn't go the response would be that he's too sheltered and unworldly.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with his answer. I mean, everyone knows his dad was prime minister for 15 years right?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Uhm, am I the only one who doesn't see a problem with the question and exchange?

e:fb. Yeah, like is it bad because he's been there? Because it was a long time ago? Because his dad was PM? I'm a touch confused by how this is even noteworthy beyond someone here seeing a person of note.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JoelJoel posted:

Uhm, am I the only one who doesn't see a problem with the question and exchange?

e:fb. Yeah, like is it bad because he's been there? Because it was a long time ago? Because his dad was PM? I'm a touch confused by how this is even noteworthy beyond someone here seeing a person of note.

Yeah, I suppose it's not really his fault for being the son of a PM. I still can't resist judging him for it though, I hate hereditary rule with a passion even though Justin seems cool.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

The ideal prime minister visits every country every year. How dare Justin "The Junior" Trudeau not have visited since he was 10.

Edit: seriously though, harshly judging a politician for coming from money in the West is a bit like complaining that a bird can fly. Yes, some of them don't, but that's not the most common state for them to be in at all.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 31, 2013

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has Stephen Harper been to Bangladesh?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Entropic posted:

No, but John Baird once said he'd help the country's working conditions.

That's considered better in a voice byte.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
When was the last time Stephen Harper beat his mother?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kafka Esq. posted:

I have been very clear: that is simply not true.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kafka Esq. posted:

/
         /

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chamale posted:

Yeah, I suppose it's not really his fault for being the son of a PM. I still can't resist judging him for it though, I hate hereditary rule with a passion even though Justin seems cool.

Is this a "all children must only go to countries deemed safe and relatable for others as described on this list" or a "adults are not allowed to take their kids anywhere that isn't a place with relatives or Disneyland" kinda judgement? Just making sure so I don't commit any social faux pas with my own future kids.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eej posted:

Is this a "all children must only go to countries deemed safe and relatable for others as described on this list" or a "adults are not allowed to take their kids anywhere that isn't a place with relatives or Disneyland" kinda judgement? Just making sure so I don't commit any social faux pas with my own future kids.

I expect it is a "oh you went somewhere that needed a passport, laa-dee-daa" judgement. I wonder how long until I get asked for a pony when my own daughter realizes what having a passport means?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Name one white person you know who's been to Dhaka.

If you can't, you don't get to criticize Trudeau for not going there recently or whatever stupid criticism you have of that answer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At least the way the exchange was transcribed the delay in hearing he was 10 kinda makes it sound like "Hey I want to discuss this country with you, do you have any experience with it?" "Of course!" "Cool!" "Even though I was suffering from bouts of Cooties and being It I think I really managed to pick up on a lot of the nuance of the geopolitical issues of the time."

But that's only if you're really trying to hate on Justin.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

The Cantonese/Mandarin ads make sense in that case, but aren't India and Pakistan pretty lax on cannabis use?

Yeah, also there is a significant Indio-china Liberal voting demographic around Hamilton to Toronto that has consistently carried the liberal vote for the last 3 elections. Reason why Brantford is referred to often as Brant-istan.

The big problem with Justin is not his smug attitude (that is a big one) but his general inability to learn or educate himself on issues. What started with his comparisons as a rookie MP of Native rights (that his father helped bring into the Charter of R&F) to Nazi politics really has not got any better with chair experience. Ask him any topic, guy cant even reconcile the difference between CAD-USD and USD-CAD let alone explain 4 points of free trade literature. Yet he has an informed and very publicized opinion on both topics whenever the Globe or CBC wants to showcase his speaking skills. He has a big issue on compensation disclosure, but has one of the most convoluted web of trusts and consulting gigs on the hill. To this day we still do not know how much money the Trudeau family made as a paid consultant to the Chretien Quebec Referendum. He has a big opinion on drug policy, yet can't come up with a speaking point or rationalization for his advocacy even after attending 5 sessions at a special policy lunch hosted by Brookings Institute on Liberal party dime.

See a trend ?

With great irony, he would be in every sense of the word our GWB. Lucky birth elevating someone to office by cult of personality alone and preying on the marginal vote (underemployed in the EID/Maratimes, fearful unionists of jobsourcing and the youth/drug demographics).

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 31, 2013

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Entropic posted:

Has Harper even eaten Bangladeshi food?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

Has Harper even eaten Bangladeshi food?

Yeah, G20 summit to Indonesia. Did a pit stop, got sick from the food.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh hey, look at this second-rate reporting on third-rate equivocating from CBC:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/10/...XpLbsBk.twitter

Edmonton Sun posted:

House of the whopper: PM has spun such a web of deceit he should resign or be dismissed

Unless it is OK for the prime minister to lie repeatedly and openly on an important matter, Stephen Harper must resign or be dismissed.

On Monday, Harper told a Halifax radio audience he “dismissed” former chief of staff Nigel Wright over the mysterious $90,000 cheque to Sen. Mike Duffy. But last Thursday, he told the House of Commons Wright “resigned.” So one or the other was a brazen, in-your-face lie.

When pressed in Tuesday’s question period he haughtily declared, “Mr. Speaker, the facts are very clear. Mr. Wright acted inappropriately, and for that reason, I very clearly explained to him that he no longer worked for me.” If so, Harper lied to parliament five days earlier.

What is especially galling is it’s all a matter of record. He wasn’t lying to fool his supporters but to implicate them in the deception, to force them to put loyalty ahead of truth. Including defending that standard PMO whopper “the facts are very clear” when in this disgraceful business, by design, no facts are clear.

We don’t even know why this tale of dismissal only appeared five months after the fact. Let alone why on

Through the looking glass folks.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Who will get dropped first, Harper or Ford?! The answer, of course, is neither, because the world is cruel and senseless.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Azerban posted:

Who will get dropped first, Harper or Ford?! The answer, of course, is neither, because the world is cruel and senseless.

Oh, come on, you say that on Fordoween of all days? For all we know we are minutes away from a document dump that will destroy his mayorship once and for all (for real this time [I mean it]).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It really is Fordoween. Reporters are lined up at the court waiting for the candy to be released.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
where is the best place to check for ford updates as they come?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Holly posted:

where is the best place to check for ford updates as they come?

Twitter

@KaleighRogers
@nataliealcoba
@reporterdonpeat
@BenSpurr

All professional city hall reporters. Pt. 1 of the PDF is up as I type this.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
The best part of friendship is friends.

And crack.

• Locked thread