Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Mr. Wynand posted:

So... is it not just me and Vancouver is actually becoming an idiocy hot-spot of sorts for Bitcoins? Because a lot of my, well I would hesitate to call them friends, but let's say acquaintances, either work for a Bitcoin related company or own/mine Bitcoins themselves or have at least been approached by Bitcoin startups. I assumed this is just because I tend to run in a lot of turbonerd circles, but seeing this sort of stuff worries me.

If this seriously becomes Vancouver's "thing" other than real estate I think... I think I'll just give up. A man has limits.

People like this, I can't wait to see them fail. The schadenfreude would be orgasmic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Cultural Imperial posted:

I used to hold this line of thinking but seriously, everyone who's posted in this thread is orders of magnitude more financially responsible than all the speculative greedy assholes out there. We're all going to do fine. Just don't invest in Canada until all those 30 thousandaires have finally received their comeuppance.

Well my line of work isn't really tied to the local economy at all, so I'll be fine pretty much regardless. But most people do work some sort of service job that depends on the local economy directly or indirectly and they are going to be at risk for cut-backs through no actual fault of their own.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Maybe that will give the run of the mill idiot food service worker pause before taking jumping on the 'property ladder'.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Maybe that will give the run of the mill idiot food service worker pause before taking jumping on the 'property ladder'.

You do realize there is a great deal more in the way of services than the ones who feeds you? Middlemen are everywhere, they don't like to starve.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Scald posted:

You do realize there is a great deal more in the way of services than the ones who feeds you? Middlemen are everywhere, they don't like to starve.

Sorry. Don't give a gently caress. All of these people need a strict lesson in the consequences of being greedy and financially irresponsible.

You know what can really take a flying gently caress off the Lions gate into burrard inlet? The retarded film industry. 30 or more years of subsidies and it is still so poorly established the entire industry can gently caress off to Ontario overnight. Why didn't the government just pay everyone in bc to sit at home and smoke weed instead?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Sorry. Don't give a gently caress. All of these people need a strict lesson in the consequences of being greedy and financially irresponsible.

You know what can really take a flying gently caress off the Lions gate into burrard inlet? The retarded film industry. 30 or more years of subsidies and it is still so poorly established the entire industry can gently caress off to Ontario overnight. Why didn't the government just pay everyone in bc to sit at home and smoke weed instead?
The problem is the system encouraging the behaviour, not the people.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cowofwar posted:

The problem is the system encouraging the behaviour, not the people.

In many ways it's interesting read up on the CMHC how originally it was created as a way to directly build affordable housing for soldiers returning back from WWII but eventually got warped into a US style system where the government would basically underwrite private housing loans.

In the 1980s the CMHC had another big policy shift in deciding to cut off all financial help for public housing projects.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 26, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Curiously, Goldman Sachs has joined the echo chamber of individuals/institutions pointing out the obvious about our housing market.

Goldman Sachs posted:

Goldman Sachs warns on 'large correction' in Canada housing

Canada is careering towards a sharp fall in house prices with some areas of the country's market already showing signs that overbuilding and ultralow interest rates are taking their toll on the property market, Goldman Sachs reports.

Adding its voice to a growing chorus of concern, a report from Hui Shan, an economist at Goldman, late last week warned: "what goes up can keep going up, but then tends to come down."

Ranking high-growth property markets in the last four years, Canada comes fourth behind Israel, Norway and Switzerland, according to her research. But unlike some other markets, construction activity has been trending up for years and has not shown signs of slowing down in Canada, she explained.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101150382

One wonders what their angle is - even if they do believe it to be true - why make a public declaration?

Anyway, the mere fact that an American investment bank has even bothered to notice anything about Canada's housing market should probably give even the most fervent housing/BPOE pumper some pause.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:wth:

quote:

Shan believes the country has inadvertently imported this policy. "Lower interest rates reduce the funding costs for purchasing homes and shift the buy versus rent decision in favor of buying," she said.

Low interest rates is the best way to distort the market since it pretty much encourages new starts for things such as condos instead of encouraging developers to improve the rental supply.

Then there's also this graph for people who think a soft landing is possible:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Etalian, while low interest rates may be enabling a condo boom, I would say there are far more factors involved in causing this property bubble. I don't think it's the BoC's obligation to lower interest rates to stem problems arising from an overheated FIRE sector.

edit: i should have said, "obligation to increase interest rates"

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 29, 2013

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I don't think that was necessarily suggested as a solution (raising the central bank's interest rates). Lower interest rates do reduce the funding costs for new homes and their point was that this is being compounded by globally low interest rates due to QE policies coming out of everyone's central banks.

That's certainly a fair and interesting point: QE is probably a good thing during the current global downturn but it's causing some worrying side-effects in mortgage markets around the world as well. This probably wouldn't be so bad on its own were it not for all the government home-owning-subsidies being propped up by various interests.

The reasonable conclusion to draw from this is that QE is potentially dangerous when combined with such subsidies (and of course many would argue that they are dangerous regardless), but I am not terribly optimistic about it happening...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Wynand posted:

I don't think that was necessarily suggested as a solution (raising the central bank's interest rates). Lower interest rates do reduce the funding costs for new homes and their point was that this is being compounded by globally low interest rates due to QE policies coming out of everyone's central banks.

That's certainly a fair and interesting point: QE is probably a good thing during the current global downturn but it's causing some worrying side-effects in mortgage markets around the world as well. This probably wouldn't be so bad on its own were it not for all the government home-owning-subsidies being propped up by various interests.

The reasonable conclusion to draw from this is that QE is potentially dangerous when combined with such subsidies (and of course many would argue that they are dangerous regardless), but I am not terribly optimistic about it happening...

Yeah QE pumps the bubble even more due to a cheap credit feeding frenzy as shown by increasing housing debt load ratio.

It's interesting to see how by all the major metrics Canada surpassed even the excesses of the US bubble in things such as the median home price/income ratio and also household debt load.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

etalian posted:

Yeah QE pumps the bubble even more due to a cheap credit feeding frenzy as shown by increasing housing debt load ratio.

It's interesting to see how by all the major metrics Canada surpassed even the excesses of the US bubble in things such as the median home price/income ratio and also household debt load.

Not according to this thread!.

Imagine me making this face while I read it. :jerkbag:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fine-able Offense posted:

Not according to this thread!.

Imagine me making this face while I read it. :jerkbag:

Oh boy it's quite a interesting thread claiming the US style meltdown could not be applied to Canada, even though Canada already has exceeded the US bubble in many ways.

I guess whenever there's a bubble people cling to the soft landing idea.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 29, 2013

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I don't know how you can claim that Canada doesn't have no-equity loans when we had minimum down payments of 5% and banks offering cash-back mortgages at 7% rebate, but I guess I'm just stupid!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Canadian economic exceptionalism!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

Canadian economic exceptionalism!

Somehow having slightly better capitalized banks will cancel out the real estate bubble house of cards suddenly collapsing and people get love mail from the bank wanting the HELOC balance to get repaid.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can tell you right now that every person who's bought a house in the past year in Vancouver has done so because they're convinced that the housing market will stay flat or go up in perpetuity.

Problems such as, you know, actually paying off any debt is inconsequential if you're 'building equity' or some poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I can tell you right now that every person who's bought a house in the past year in Vancouver has done so because they're convinced that the housing market will stay flat or go up in perpetuity.

Problems such as, you know, actually paying off any debt is inconsequential if you're 'building equity' or some poo poo

Why not buy into a investment when interest rates at all time low and it's part of becoming of a responsible adult?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5UQyTVqZhw

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 29, 2013

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

etalian posted:

Why not buy into a investment when interest rates at all time low and it's part of becoming of a responsible adult?

-Jim Flaherty, 2008

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It would be really interesting to find out how the tories came up with the idea to shift the housing industry into overdrive after the 2008 lehman collapse.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

It would be really interesting to find out how the tories came up with the idea to shift the housing industry into overdrive after the 2008 lehman collapse.
Everything the CPC does is populist bullshit. Like cutting the GST. It's all about pandering for votes and not about running a country.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Everything the CPC does is populist bullshit. Like cutting the GST. It's all about pandering for votes and not about running a country.

Yeah plus the bubble is sweet while it lasts due to things such as more permit revenue, construction job growth in boom areas and higher property tax revenue.

Of course the administration stuck with the bubble aftermath and piles of angry voters is obviously not as happy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cmon.

I refuse to believe the tories are as loving stupid as to actually plan for an outcome with a high probability of failure while on their watch.

Which leaves the most plausible explanation: they had no loving idea what they were doing.

What's key here is, who had the greatest insight into what was most likely to happen and whether or not they supported this policy regardless.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cmon.

I refuse to believe the tories are as loving stupid as to actually plan for an outcome with a high probability of failure while on their watch.

Which leaves the most plausible explanation: they had no loving idea what they were doing.

What's key here is, who had the greatest insight into what was most likely to happen and whether or not they supported this policy regardless.

There are thousands of people across the country that fully expect housing to increase at 20% forever. I have no trouble believing that there are several cabinet ministers that are just as silly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

Yeah, they cut a regressive tax. Those bastards!

Should income or capital gains taxes have been increased to make it a revenue-neutral proposition? Yes, probably. That doesn't make the GST cut a bad thing, and I firmly oppose a provincial sales tax (and the constant increases in sin taxes) here in Alberta for the same reason. Sales taxes and sin taxes (which are really just an ultra-regressive sales tax, considering that the poor are more likely to use cigarettes and possibly alcohol) are both regressive, and anyone claiming to be the least bit progressive should oppose them.

EDIT: This is the housing bubble thread, probably not the best place for this decision. Still, the GST cut is hardly the best example of lovely CPC populist policy.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 30, 2013

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Yeah, they cut a regressive tax. Those bastards!

Should income or capital gains taxes have been increased to make it a revenue-neutral proposition? Yes, probably. That doesn't make the GST cut a bad thing, and I firmly oppose a provincial sales tax (and the constant increases in sin taxes) here in Alberta for the same reason. Sales taxes and sin taxes (which are really just an ultra-regressive sales tax, considering that the poor are more likely to use cigarettes and possibly alcohol) are both regressive, and anyone claiming to be the least bit progressive should oppose them.

EDIT: This is the housing bubble thread, probably not the best place for this decision. Still, the GST cut is hardly the best example of lovely CPC populist policy.
They cut it and then promptly ran a deficit which they used to justify cuts. Whether or not the tax is regressive is irrelevant, knee capping the government to pander for votes is irresponsible populist bullshit.

As you said a responsible government that was concerned about it being regressive would adjust other revenue streams to make it revenue neutral. They just cut it because they knew it would buy votes.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 30, 2013

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Yeah, I've discussed this at length with my investor neighbour and that was the exact quote he used. drat Keynes.

But how do you look at a stock like this http://www.canadastockchannel.com/symbol/hcg.ca/ and not see the potential to make a boatload if/when poo poo hits the fan?

I was curious to see how your advice fared. Over the period since I suggested a short, it has gained another $10/share (current price $80 or so).

What about a post Christmas credit card crunch fueled meltdown? C'mooooooon

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The vampire squid speaks.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101150382#_gus

quote:

Goldman Sachs warns on 'large correction' in Canada housing
HOUSE PRICES, REAL ESTATE PRICES, HOUSE PRICE BUBBLE, CHINA BUBBLE, HOUSING STARTS, REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT, REAL ESTATE, BUSINESS NEWS
CNBC.com | Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 | 1:19 AM ET

Canada is careering towards a sharp fall in house prices with some areas of the country's market already showing signs that overbuilding and ultralow interest rates are taking their toll on the property market, Goldman Sachs reports.
Adding its voice to a growing chorus of concern, a report from Hui Shan, an economist at Goldman, late last week warned: "what goes up can keep going up, but then tends to come down."
Ranking high-growth property markets in the last four years, Canada comes fourth behind Israel, Norway and Switzerland, according to her research. But unlike some other markets, construction activity has been trending up for years and has not shown signs of slowing down in Canada, she explained.

"If the elevated level of homebuilding persists in coming years, the risk of overbuilding will increase substantially. And if the ongoing housing boom is followed by a housing bust, the price decline can be quite significant given the excess supply of housing at that point," she said.
Housing starts in Canada have shown recent gains, trending at 190,492 units in September compared to 188,440 in August, according to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). House prices, meanwhile, continue to defy the odds, with the national average sale price rising 8.8 percent on a year-over-year basis in September, according to the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA).
Sales activity continues to remain strong with national home sales ticking higher by 0.8 percent from August to September, CREA have said, roughly in line with a 10-year average. Inventory figures also remain stable, according to the CREA, currently standing at 5.8 months - meaning it would take that amount of time to completely liquidate current inventories at the current rate of sales activity. Both datasets indicate that demand is still prevalent to some degree.

Meanwhile, Stephen Poloz, the governor of the Bank of Canada maintains that he remains vigilant on any heat in the property market. Renewed momentum in the housing market points to a return of risk,he said in a monetary inflation report last Wednesday, despite some confidence that households were reducing their debts.
The Goldman Sachs report forecast that, in the short term, house prices may continue to increase before any "large correction", however Sebastien Galy, senior currency strategist at SocGen told CNBC that some data suggests that small pockets of the market could already be seeing that downward pressure.
In particular its figures from Montreal Island in Quebec, which is supposed be the "most solid" higher income market, according to Galy. The median price of single-family homes has dropped 7 percent (year-on-year), according to the Greater Montreal Real Estate Board. Condominiums have seen a 5 percent fall.

The market has also been complicated by easy monetary policies around the globe, Shan said. Central banks in the U.S., Japan and the U.K. have all embarked on quantitative easing (QE) programs which have pushed interest rates to record lows.
Shan believes the country has inadvertently imported this policy. "Lower interest rates reduce the funding costs for purchasing homes and shift the buy versus rent decision in favor of buying," she said.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, but this is countered by the BMO.

Globe and Mail link

B.C. housing in 'soft landing' posted:

Bank of Montreal economists have taken British Columbia’s housing market off the critical care list.

“Since bottoming in February, sales in the province have jumped nearly 40 per cent through September, and were more than 50 per cent above year-ago levels in Vancouver,” senior economist Robert Kavcic of BMO Nesbitt Burns said today.

“That, plus a falloff in new listings, has all but quashed concerns of a hard landing,” he said in a report on the economic fortunes of the provinces.

“Note that after a buyer’s market plagued the past two years, the sales-to-new-listings ratio now paints a decidedly balanced picture of the B.C. market.”

Whew, I am sure glad that housing collapsesoftness is already over with.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahahah

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

ocrumsprug posted:

Yeah, but this is countered by the BMO.

Globe and Mail link

Whew, I am sure glad that housing collapsesoftness is already over with.
What the hell? Buyer's market in BC for last two years?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

cowofwar posted:

Buyer's market in the sense that if you were willing to drastically overpay for a poorly-constructed particle-board abode, you might not run into too many bidding wars.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Check your lower mainland privilege. There are great deals to be had in the Whistler hotel room market and "Oh God, someone please buy my house!" Kelowna.

Fun fact: The foreclosure rate in Kelowna is about 1/day.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do people in big serious financial institutions like BMO actually believe what they're saying? I don't know if they've been drinking their own koolaid or if they're just desperately trying to stave off the inevitable with rosy reports and outright propaganda?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

ocrumsprug posted:

Check your lower mainland privilege. There are great deals to be had in the Whistler hotel room market and "Oh God, someone please buy my house!" Kelowna.

Fun fact: The foreclosure rate in Kelowna is about 1/day.

Wow...it even has its own Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/KelownaForeclosures

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
jesus h loving christ

500k to live in Kelowna? get the gently caress out

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

jesus h loving christ

500k to live in Kelowna? get the gently caress out

I love the duplex with 2 suites (so isn't that a 4-plex?). It has 2 1-car garages with a literal rock wall constructed in front of them for no reason meaning the garages have no car access and are for storage only.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Who the hell needs a house with 5 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms? Like seriously, that makes ZERO sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Well maybe if you have a full house and two people staying over sleeping in the living room or something and you all eat your meals at the same time for like a week and your poo poo cycles all synch up.

Or maybe just five people, and two of them take a nasty poo poo and ruin two bathrooms and then everyone wants to shower at the same time.

There are plenty of reasons to have 7 bathrooms.