Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

andrew smash posted:

How big do rooms have to be to support artificial biomes? The wiki is not specific. I am trying to get my witch doctor set up and also have a mushroom room going before i switch to hardmode.

Around about 100 blocks of the biome-specific blocks (Pearlstone, mushroom grass mud, ebonstone block, etc.) will change the immediate area over to that biome. If you can stand where the NPC will be and the music changes over to the other biome's, then you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's the least damaging trap? Building a Halloween arena that spams invincibility may be effective.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

DelphiAegis posted:

Around about 100 blocks of the biome-specific blocks (Pearlstone, mushroom grass mud, ebonstone block, etc.) will change the immediate area over to that biome. If you can stand where the NPC will be and the music changes over to the other biome's, then you're golden.

Will they interfere with each other? Currently I have my mushroom pod and jungle pod dangling from my space station right next to each other. Should I move one of them to the other side?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

dromer posted:

What's the least damaging trap? Building a Halloween arena that spams invincibility may be effective.

Probably the darts with the Ahnk Shield.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

dromer posted:

Spikes are still affected by defense, right? Because I've heard of arenas with a single spike immersed in honey for exactly this case.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
Bought the game like two weeks ago and im still not really sure what im doing but i just killed the first boss (eye) and the dryad has appeared

i got ancient shadow armour chest and greaves that dropped, hermes boots and an ENCHANTED SWORD that shoots out swords which give off light (perfect for spider caves)

also im dressed as a silver unicorn

if im reading online right my next step is to smash the three balls in the corruption mine some meteors and get the next boss?

what do i do with the seeds the eye dropped? also i have some jungle spores are they worth much

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Will they interfere with each other? Currently I have my mushroom pod and jungle pod dangling from my space station right next to each other. Should I move one of them to the other side?

Whichever has the most blocks on the screen at the same time will make that area the particular biome. They probably shouldn't interfere with each other unless you can fit both on the same screen, so you may want to move it to the other side if your jungle area for your witch doctor isn't registering as a jungle area when you stand in his room, and the same for the mushroom guy.

You only have to have the background to buy their particular items, by the way; I can stand near the "jungle" area of my base and wait for the witch doctor to come over and he'll sell the jungle specific stuff, and when I step out and re-open his shop window, he no longer sells the items.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

qwako posted:

Bought the game like two weeks ago and im still not really sure what im doing but i just killed the first boss (eye) and the dryad has appeared

i got ancient shadow armour chest and greaves that dropped, hermes boots and an ENCHANTED SWORD that shoots out swords which give off light (perfect for spider caves)

if im reading online right my next step is to smash the three balls in the corruption mine some meteors and get the next boss?

what do i do with the seeds the eye dropped? also i have some jungle spores are they worth much

For the shadow orbs, each one you smash has a 50% chance of either spawning a meteorite immediately(if smashed at night) or the following night(if smashed during the day). Don't smash more than 1 at a time during the day or else you'll lose out on meteorites. When you smash 3 orbs the corruption boss will spawn, but he's not much harder than Eye of Cthulhu, especially if you have piercing weapons.

You mean corrupt seeds? Those are used for making corruption grass, you only really need them if you're making a Deathweed farm or making an artificial corruption biome(for some reason).

Jungle spores can be used to make the jungle armor(though Meteorite is better if you're using the space gun) and weapons, and the Ivy whip(I highly recommend this).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

DelphiAegis posted:

Whichever has the most blocks on the screen at the same time will make that area the particular biome. They probably shouldn't interfere with each other unless you can fit both on the same screen, so you may want to move it to the other side if your jungle area for your witch doctor isn't registering as a jungle area when you stand in his room, and the same for the mushroom guy.

You only have to have the background to buy their particular items, by the way; I can stand near the "jungle" area of my base and wait for the witch doctor to come over and he'll sell the jungle specific stuff, and when I step out and re-open his shop window, he no longer sells the items.

Okay, cool. Last question - will the biomes work if I built them near the floating island layer? my sky town is suspended from one of them and I can still hear the space music in the biome pods so I might have to scrap them entirely.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Okay, cool. Last question - will the biomes work if I built them near the floating island layer? my sky town is suspended from one of them and I can still hear the space music in the biome pods so I might have to scrap them entirely.

They should. I've got an Ice Biome and Corruption Biome up high enough where harpies and wyverns spawn, and a Mushroom Biome just slightly below that, plus some of my floating islands were infected with Hallowed so I don't see why other biome types wouldn't work.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

dromer posted:

Could you make the floor out of hellstone and remove any trinket that has the Obsidian effect? I think they do like 1 damage to high level armor.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mental Midget posted:

Could you make the floor out of hellstone and remove any trinket that has the Obsidian effect? I think they do like 1 damage to high level armor.

Hellstone is a DOT now to prevent this exact usage.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Well today I learned that the lihzard flame traps trigger the Spectre armor heal, and also the bat staff (the one that shoots bats) owns.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Archenteron posted:

The fact that the Band of Starpower can't be gotten from Crimson Hearts is mildly annoying.
Oh is that why I've never seen one of the components of the Mana Shackles. :mad:

Bakalakadaka posted:

Well today I learned that the lihzard flame traps trigger the Spectre armor heal, and also the bat staff (the one that shoots bats) owns.
Oh it totally does, it's cheap as hell and if you've been firing it for a while and an enemy shows up he will be swarmed by a ton of bats.

Excellent damage output too if you don't need aoe as it fires several bats per shot.

... I thought the patch was supposed to fix that with the traps, though.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 30, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Wow, Magnet Sphere and the Spectre set absolutely annihilates the Golem.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I was playing around with the rod of discord shuffling around the jungle and such when I happened upon the temple. Turns out you can teleport on in there and with a titanium drill steal all the traps and such. A little bit more wandering led me to the alter where I decided to see if I could kill the Golem with out touching any of the mechanical bosses first. Turns out you can. Also ball traps trigger the Titanium armor dodge which made the fight hilarious. So after three kills I ended up with a Hatchet, an Eye, and a Stynger.

This is all well and good but now I'm kinda confused as to what to do next. Are either of those two weapons really really good or should I stick with my post wall of flesh magic stuff? Is it worth turning the Eye into the destroyer emblem? I still have a few more Golem batteries so is there anything else I should try and get from him as well?

GodExtreme
Aug 8, 2008
the Golem drops the best Pick in the game I think so yeah, worth farming for that.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

qwako posted:

I picked the game up around the same time and had problems with the Brain, but only because I was fighting him wrong. I came across the Crimson mining horizontally and was only dealing with the space I'd carved out myself. There was a huge empty area I didn't know about until just recently that made the perfect arena.

The meteorite is worth mining, though once I killed the Brain I was able to make my way to Hell and mine enough obsidian and Hellstone for most of the Molten gear right away.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Moochewmoo posted:

This is all well and good but now I'm kinda confused as to what to do next. Are either of those two weapons really really good or should I stick with my post wall of flesh magic stuff? Is it worth turning the Eye into the destroyer emblem? I still have a few more Golem batteries so is there anything else I should try and get from him as well?

The Possessed Hatchet is basically an extremely fast and strong boomerang - it deals melee damage, so it can benefit from melee buffs, but it's also got pretty good attack range and it can be spammed fairly fast up close.

The Stynger is a fully-automatic cluster missile launcher that doesn't hurt you with its explosions, which is to say that it is goddamn loving nuts and well worth toting around until you've got some endgame weaponry (and if you're going for an explosive Shroomite build, it is your endgame weapon). Your Arms Dealer will sell the bolts now, so stock up on those. Most basic enemies can now be defeated by walking directly towards them, holding down the blow-up-the-world button, and screaming incessantly. This is even effective against groups; a Stynger, a shitload of bolts, some buffs, and a bit of careful play should let you completely shred most invasion events and can even tear up a lot of bosses if you're reasonably well-geared. That thing is honestly my favourite weapon in the game and I frequently switch back to my Explosion Man build to run around and explode mans. It can't really output enough damage to bring down Pumpkings in an acceptable timeframe but aside from that it's a loving amazing all-around shitwrecker. Keep it with you as your ranged option and you won't regret it.

There is almost never a reason not to combine accessories at the bench. It gives you all of their functionality in a single item slot. The two exceptions I can think of are the cross necklace (its invincibility duration decreases if you make it into a Star Veil) and a couple of items that can be made into multiple different accessories, some of which are substantially better than their counterparts, which can make it worthwhile to hold onto them instead of making the shittier versions.

And yeah, the Golem drops the Picksaw, which can literally mine everything in the game. You can dig up the entire goddamn Jungle Temple if you want to. Hell, you can steal the Golem Altar and build a little gladiatorial arena to put it in, then fight the Golem on your own terms whenever you want.

edit: Oh, I almost forgot! That Stynger of yours turns the Golem into a complete chump. Blast it at his hands and the constant explosions will essentially stunlock them, letting you focus solely on dodging his fireballs and stomps. By the time you've destroyed his hands, the blast damage will have worn his head down quite a bit, too. You can even fire that thing at walls and ceilings that his head is flying through to damage him when you ordinarily couldn't. Seriously that thing is so good and so much fun oh my god you should never be not exploding again

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 30, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Is Leonardo the only turtle costume you can get?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Zero Star posted:

Is Leonardo the only turtle costume you can get?

Have you tried using various types of dyes? If the dyes adversely affect skin colour, you might try using a mix of one of the green shades and another colour to see if you can come up with a convincing alternative.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hey, tip for mushroom farming:

Mushrooms still grow on deactivated glowing mushroom grass. And grass grows on deactivated mud. So set up alternating rows of empty space and deactivated mud, put some dart traps to harvest it at the push of a button, and enjoy having spent hundreds of gold on making mushroom farming as automated as you can get it!

Or you can deactivate the mud in chunks to save on activators I guess, but that's more labor-intensive.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
For mushroom farming I just made a small map and built two 1 block thick runways out of mud in the sky that stretch across the whole map. When I need stacks of mushrooms, I run across one of them while shooting Scourge of Corruptors or a spell that shoots bolts that travel over long distances that preferably fly at least as fast as I can run with Lightning Boots on. By the time I've reached one end, mushrooms have already started repopulating the other end. I hop on the second track and do the same thing.

For shroomite bars, it's complete overkill. I needed mushrooms for building stupid poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

For that method I recommend using a Murasama, since it autoswings fast enough to hit all the mushrooms if you're running with specter/lightning boots.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I actually wish flowing water would transport items like Minecraft so even more lazy automation could be done.

Dart Traps + Actuators work well enough, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm fond of my small mushroom farm, it provides pretty much all the mushrooms my girlfriend and I need and also is big enough to coax the surrounding area into being considered a biome (the music and background change) so we'll get Truffle once we flip this over to hard mode.

(Underneath it is my herb garden)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well Pumpkin Moons are pretty impressive. Didn't manage to get much special, just some spooky wood, but it was quite fun. Looking at the wiki, you can get some very nice things from it as well. Think I'll set up a bit of an arena for the next try, and make sure to activate it as soon as night starts.

Am I right in thinking Pumpkin Moons should be available all year round, you just have to grow pumpkins from seeds rather than find them laying around the place?

Also mushroom farming is very easy for me, because I made my fortress in a mushroom biome. Just have to pop out the teleporter, run all the way to the left swinging, run all the way to the right swinging, and lots of glowing mushrooms for me.

Pumpkin Pirate
Feb 2, 2005
???????

Zereth posted:

Hey, tip for mushroom farming:

Mushrooms still grow on deactivated glowing mushroom grass. And grass grows on deactivated mud. So set up alternating rows of empty space and deactivated mud, put some dart traps to harvest it at the push of a button, and enjoy having spent hundreds of gold on making mushroom farming as automated as you can get it!

Or you can deactivate the mud in chunks to save on activators I guess, but that's more labor-intensive.

Once you've got actuators in your mud, you don't even need the dart traps. Just leave the blocks active while the mushrooms are growing, and deactivate them to instantly harvest the whole farm.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

McDragon posted:

Am I right in thinking Pumpkin Moons should be available all year round, you just have to grow pumpkins from seeds rather than find them laying around the place?

This is correct, yes.

I cheesed the event by running a multiplayer server to myself and setting the time back to midnight whenever dawn was soon to come; I'd got tired of the bosses not dropping anything after five or so moons. And I still didn't get a raven staff.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Another patch in the works

Mostly bugfixes, Rod of Discord now costs health to use in quick succession, and finally you can craft Heart Crystals into lamps. I knew I was right to compulsively hoard them.

Demilogic twitter is also asking people for tinker combination suggestions, so there might be more to come.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Looks like they nerfed "Golden Shower + Frostfire" for killing the Destroyer. That's a shame. He was such a lovely source of money.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RoD and Plantera changes are dumb.

E: Destroyer changes, too.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

quote:

Bat Hook now correctly drops from Goodie Bags

:dance:

Does 'enrage' re: Plantera just mean it moves instantly into its second form?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I don't have a problem with the Destroyer buff since golden shower let you kill it absurdly fast (and probably still will even without the defense debuff). It takes me like 20-30 seconds to kill it with just golden shower in spectre armor.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

:dance:

Does 'enrage' re: Plantera just mean it moves instantly into its second form?

Probably means it gets insane damage and defense like Skeletron does when night ends.

I'm fine with these changes honestly. Rod of Discord was ridiculous and if the health loss isn't too extreme it won't be much of a difference anyway. Plantera was too easy when brought to the surface and Destroyer went down absurdly fast with dots.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I don't understand this mindset of "X is too easy if you do Y, nerf it into the ground" instead of "X is too easy if you do Y, so I won't do Y".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Having the Destroyer melt after a couple of seconds using certain debuffs due to multiple segments always seemed like a weird oversight as far as difficulty goes, so good that that was changed.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't understand this mindset of "X is too easy if you do Y, nerf it into the ground" instead of "X is too easy if you do Y, so I won't do Y".

Because when additional content is added that's supposed to be harder, the developer has to choose between:

- Implementing that new content without taking overpowered thing x into consideration, thus making the new content stupidly easy and a big letdown
- Implementing the new content and requiring that to be done, thus pidgeonholing everyone into doing that one thing if they want to see it
- Or just nerfing it so that people can do more than that one thing in future content.

Plus in a gear-based game, you have the issue where whatever new gear that's supposed to be better either has that overpowered thing in an upgraded form or doesn't. If it doesn't, the new gear is pointless - it's outclassed by something that's supposed to be worse. If the new content has an upgraded version, then the gap between play with the overpowered thing and play without it becomes even wider.

Basically having certain things at endgame be grossly overpowered and other things that aren't is only fine in purely singleplayer games that don't get content updates that add new endgames. In games with multiplayer or games with content patches they're a huge headache.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I liked pissing all over that giant metal snake :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Asehujiko posted:

I liked pissing all over that giant metal snake :(

Gross, man. Keep that private.

• Locked thread