Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

5er posted:

I'm at close to about 65 hours with only two gym badges, because the whole 'gotta catch 'em all' thing. Any time I get into a new area I have to wring it for every new critter it provides, making sure to run about at different time periods to get them. I thought it was simply because I was only playing an hour a day at best on break at work or whatever, and I had way less time clocked. I don't think I've failed to observe the passage of time quite like this since Civ 2.

I somehow broke 150 hours before beating the e4, but at least I had a decently bred all-psychic team when I actually won.

Speaking of all-psychic teams, gently caress that loving Scizor. Little bastard wiped my team three times before I realised Medicham should probably just be trying to one-shot him.

I can't get the first league victory image on the GL to work, and I want to commemorate winning with my favourites :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Screencap, crop, upload, post.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

5er posted:

I'm at close to about 65 hours with only two gym badges, because the whole 'gotta catch 'em all' thing. Any time I get into a new area I have to wring it for every new critter it provides, making sure to run about at different time periods to get them. I thought it was simply because I was only playing an hour a day at best on break at work or whatever, and I had way less time clocked. I don't think I've failed to observe the passage of time quite like this since Civ 2.

Wait, different Pokemon show up based on what time I'm playing?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Huge Liability posted:

I had someone rage-quit from a link battle last night after his level 1 Aron w/ Endeavor strategy fell apart. I taunted, and the move failed each time after the first time, allowing me to put down 3 Spike layers and start throwing his team around with Whirlwind.

I admire his thinking, though, because it must be funny to destroy entire teams with a level 1 Aron.

There is so little I understand about why someone would do this

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Frankston posted:

Wait, different Pokemon show up based on what time I'm playing?

No?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The Mechanical Hand posted:

Is there a general consensus on Gourgeist vs. Trevenant yet?

And on that same note, does anyone have Pumpkaboo in their Friend Safari? I already have Phanthump covered but could totally use some Pumpakboos to get that breeding process going.
From looking at things and watching how some early battling goes down, Trevenant has a more useful skillset and an interesting ability to stall with Substitute and Harvest, but huge Gourgeists are really durable. I saw one eat a Fire Blast and live. Trevenant seems good for stalling and doing okay damage, but Gourgeist seems better at actually tanking and also at being a pain in the rear end.

Though similar in typing and stuff they do seem to have different roles. I'm not sure it's settled which is better (but I see more players using Trevenant right now).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

LAY-ZX posted:

I couldn't have used one anyway because I evolved my Pikachu into something less lovely. :smugbert:

Raichu being less lovely than Pikachu is comparable to actual poo poo being less lovely than someone else's actual poo poo.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So over the course of every pokemon game ever I have acquired a shiny dustox, shellos, aipom and now a taillow. Two more and I can make a shiny pokemon trash team, why do you hate me so much pokemon? (Ambipom is okay I guess)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Talmonis posted:

Set up Screens on turns 1 (Espeon) and 2 (Rotom).
Calm mind turn 2 (espeon).
Baton pass/Volt switch to Current need.

Comments? Ideas?

You can't have duplicate items, so you're going to have to run with light clay on only one of your screeners.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm tempted to make a gimmick Sylveon. Make sure it has the Pixilate ability, give it a Metronome, then use Echoed Voice (now a special Fairy attack) over and over. The move's power increases pretty quickly:

Turn 1 - 60 power
Turn 2 - 144 power
Turn 3 - 252 power
Turn 4 - 384 power
Turn 5 - 540 power
Turn 6 - 600 power

Too bad Sylveon has bad Defense and Speed. :v: I wonder if I can pair it up with a Baton Passing Speed Boosting Scolipede or something.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

The Mechanical Hand posted:

Is there a general consensus on Gourgeist vs. Trevenant yet?

And on that same note, does anyone have Pumpkaboo in their Friend Safari? I already have Phanthump covered but could totally use some Pumpakboos to get that breeding process going.

If you're doing doubles you can do great things with both of them. With Trick-or-treat you can have normal types with only a dark weakness (Mega-Kangaskan wrecks everything) and with Forest's Curse you can make some great defensive types with Water, Electric, and Rock (since Grass-types resist Electric and Ground-type damage and Rock resists Fire-type damage).

Both can also be used to add weaknesses to enemy pokemon and remove STAB (since it changes the secondary typings of who you cast it on). So now that Psychic/Fighting is now a Psychic/Grass with a 4x Bug weakness :devil:

Edit: It's the main reason why they switched from Normal/<Other-type> move to Electric/Normal, Fire/Normal and etc this generation (to avoid too many Normal/Ghost types). I haven't really tested Soak yet so no idea if that adds water type or still keeps you pure water :eng101:

If you want an evil defense pokemon try Normal/Ghost Blissey with 252 Sp Def/252 HP :unsmigghh:

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 30, 2013

na3r0k
Jun 10, 2013
just started breeding for the first time ever last night. Got a 6 IV abra today :huh:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

I'm tempted to make a gimmick Sylveon. Make sure it has the Pixilate ability, give it a Metronome, then use Echoed Voice (now a special Fairy attack) over and over. The move's power increases pretty quickly:

Turn 1 - 60 power
Turn 2 - 144 power
Turn 3 - 252 power
Turn 4 - 384 power
Turn 5 - 540 power
Turn 6 - 600 power

Too bad Sylveon has bad Defense and Speed. :v: I wonder if I can pair it up with a Baton Passing Speed Boosting Scolipede or something.

If you can set that thing up with speed boost and an Eviolite Chansey sub you're going to wreck things fairly hard, you're definitely going to need to survive an Aegislash priority at least once every few matches from what I've seen so far.

Also is it possible to get prankster Meowstick yet? I think Medicham and Malamar have a bit too much overlap, and wish Chingling can't spread status :(

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a used DS lite real cheap from a buddy at work and I'm wondering which Pokemon game I should get for it. I haven't played any since platinum and that was back when I was still in high school, so over 6 years ago. Can I just jump right into Black or White 2 without being lost or should I pick up the first games in that series? Ultimately I want to get a 3ds and X or Y but that's while off.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Great Beer posted:

There is so little I understand about why someone would do this

Apparently it's this: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:F.E.A.R.

I didn't know about this strategy last night, so I honestly only beat it by luck.

e: Looking at the page, Aron doesn't even have priority moves, so he must have meant to set up a Sandstorm thing. His second Pokemon was Barbaracle, so that makes sense.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 30, 2013

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

How does Pokerus transmission work? I have a pokemon with the pokerus (not the little face thing) so it should be transmissible? I have it in my party. I tried just putting it in the party, I tried leading with it. I healed at a pokemon center (and she mentioned how my pokemon has the disease)

It still stays transmissible if you leave the infected pokemon in the box when midnight rolls around, right?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

myron cope posted:

How does Pokerus transmission work? I have a pokemon with the pokerus (not the little face thing) so it should be transmissible? I have it in my party. I tried just putting it in the party, I tried leading with it. I healed at a pokemon center (and she mentioned how my pokemon has the disease)

It still stays transmissible if you leave the infected pokemon in the box when midnight rolls around, right?

if they have a little rectangle that says "Pokerus" then that's transmissible

if they have a little purple circle with a smily face, that's intransmissable, and that happens when its' in your party past midnight.

Make sure in your actual party layout, any intransmissible are not next to transmissible because they effectively block the spread.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Turn 1 - 60 power
Turn 2 - 144 power
Turn 3 - 252 power
Turn 4 - 384 power
Turn 5 - 540 power
Turn 6 - 600 power

Metronome caps out at only just barely over what Choice Specs give to every attack. Just use specs and you'll do more damage from the word go with only a tiny drop in power at its max.

myron cope posted:

After winning a battle with the Pokemon in your party, it has a chance (not 100%) of transmitting it to the Pokemon adjacent to it in the party list.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Nevileen posted:

try using this? http://www.connectify.me/hotspot/ My settings, for whatever reason, wouldn't let me create a hot spot properly so I had to use this.

I can confirm this works with a D-Link USB Wireless Adapter I've had for years. Thank you so much for the Connectify link, I was ready to give up entirely. Now I can finally Wonder Trade all these bred Squirtles and Charmanders in the safety of my dorm room without having to walk downstairs to get their lovely wireless to connect on my 3DS. :toot:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Medium Cool posted:

I picked up a used DS lite real cheap from a buddy at work and I'm wondering which Pokemon game I should get for it. I haven't played any since platinum and that was back when I was still in high school, so over 6 years ago. Can I just jump right into Black or White 2 without being lost or should I pick up the first games in that series? Ultimately I want to get a 3ds and X or Y but that's while off.

BW2 are pretty much just Gen 5 Platinum but split into two games, so you'll be fine starting with them.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Emong posted:

BW2 are pretty much just Gen 5 Platinum but split into two games, so you'll be fine starting with them.

Black 2 and White 2 are an actual sequel to Black and White. I mean, you can still totally start with them, but it references the plot of BW1 a lot.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Spangly A posted:

If you can set that thing up with speed boost and an Eviolite Chansey sub you're going to wreck things fairly hard, you're definitely going to need to survive an Aegislash priority at least once every few matches from what I've seen so far.

Also is it possible to get prankster Meowstick yet? I think Medicham and Malamar have a bit too much overlap, and wish Chingling can't spread status :(

Yeah. Friend Safari a male Espurr. I have one sitting around my PC if you want it, too.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is it a lovely thing to trade level 1 pokemon on wonder trade? They all have hidden ability and 4 perfect IV's. Only gotten 1 5 IV pokemon to pop out my factory yet and it had the wrong ability. :argh: Breeding a 4 IV female froakie with a 5 IV male with the female with everstone and male with destiny knot. I am kinda going nuts at this point because I have been doing this for two and a half days just for this one pokemon. Had so many boxes full of rejects I just fed them all into a wood chipper because wonder trading was taking so long.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

LAY-ZX posted:

Black 2 and White 2 are an actual sequel to Black and White. I mean, you can still totally start with them, but it references the plot of BW1 a lot.

I think I'll start with the first white if I can find it just to see that progression. I'm not expecting much out of a plot from a pokemon game but maybe I'll be surprised. I just didn't know if one was leagues above another. I'm tempted to look into heartgold and soulsilver too but I don't know how much is different in those games as compared to the original gameboy color versions. Going to do some research on that now before I make my final decision.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it a lovely thing to trade level 1 pokemon on wonder trade? They all have hidden ability and 4 perfect IV's. Only gotten 1 5 IV pokemon to pop out my factory yet and it had the wrong ability. :argh: Breeding a 4 IV female froakie with a 5 IV male with the female with everstone and male with destiny knot. I am kinda going nuts at this point because I have been doing this for two and a half days just for this one pokemon. Had so many boxes full of rejects I just fed them all into a wood chipper because wonder trading was taking so long.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I sent so many Tyrunts and Goomy out that way.

And it's better than goddamn element monkeys.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Turn 1 - 60 power
Turn 2 - 144 power
Turn 3 - 252 power
Turn 4 - 384 power
Turn 5 - 540 power
Turn 6 - 600 power

Scolipede can get Iron Defense as an egg move. Put an unconscious pokemon with Compound Eyes in the first party slot and a high-level pokemon with Thief and no held item in the second slot, and use Sweet Scent to hunt down swarms of Scraggy on Route 5, KOing them one at a time with Thief until you steal a Shed Shell from one. Have Scolipede hold it, so that it can escape from trapping moves and abilities (I'm pretty sure that Shed Shell also ensures Baton Pass will work), and hope you don't get hit with something like Taunt or ghost-type Curse. Alternatively, give it a Mental Herb and hope you don't get hit with something like Shadow Tag or Infestation.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Edit: moved to Pokemon trading thread

Caper fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 30, 2013

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

phourniner posted:

I can confirm this works with a D-Link USB Wireless Adapter I've had for years. Thank you so much for the Connectify link, I was ready to give up entirely. Now I can finally Wonder Trade all these bred Squirtles and Charmanders in the safety of my dorm room without having to walk downstairs to get their lovely wireless to connect on my 3DS. :toot:

Happy to help! :3: I heard about that years ago, but I only remembered about it now. Funny how that works.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bongo Bill posted:

Scolipede can get Iron Defense as an egg move. Put an unconscious pokemon with Compound Eyes in the first party slot and a high-level pokemon with Thief and no held item in the second slot, and use Sweet Scent to hunt down swarms of Scraggy on Route 5, KOing them one at a time with Thief until you steal a Shed Shell from one. Have Scolipede hold it, so that it can escape from trapping moves and abilities (I'm pretty sure that Shed Shell also ensures Baton Pass will work), and hope you don't get hit with something like Taunt or ghost-type Curse. Alternatively, give it a Mental Herb and hope you don't get hit with something like Shadow Tag or Infestation.

Baton Pass gets through Trapping moves fine enough. You switch, but the new guy gets trapped.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Medium Cool posted:

I think I'll start with the first white if I can find it just to see that progression. I'm not expecting much out of a plot from a pokemon game but maybe I'll be surprised. I just didn't know if one was leagues above another. I'm tempted to look into heartgold and soulsilver too but I don't know how much is different in those games as compared to the original gameboy color versions. Going to do some research on that now before I make my final decision.

The second games are far superior, but feel free to play White 1 to get a better sense of the plot. Black and White only have new Pokemon until the post game, while the sequels have old Pokemon throughout, a couple different gyms, and the characters from the first games are a couple years older and have jobs now.

Black and White 2 have the added benefit of having a Pokemon World Tournament where you fight all the different gym leaders from every gen and Join Avenue, a place where you can build up little shops. It's essentially a customizable shopping mall that you manage and it's really really useful. There's also Pokemon Hollywood where you and your Pokemon can become movie stars. It's amazing.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Nope, that's nice of you actually. Better than trading away common trash except for perhaps Scatterbug for Vivilion patterns.

Speaking of Wondertrade I got a Klefki with bold nature and perfect IVs in HP, Sp. Defense, and Speed the other day :stare:. It's not even from a friend safari or breeding and while it isn't perfect, it's pretty nice.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Where do you find the Expert Belt? Bulbapedia just says Centrico Plaza but I've talked to everyone there...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rudoku posted:

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I sent so many Tyrunts and Goomy out that way.

And it's better than goddamn element monkeys.

Been putting up my extra Bulletproof Chespins and Protean Froakies for common stuff. Mostly stuff I'm too lazy to go catch myself. :v: Trying to get a Protean Kecleon for a Protean Froakie, but I don't think that'll ever actually work. I want to spread the love, not gate it behind something like a Scizor. Ain't makin' anyone waste their one god drat Metal Coat just to get a starter with a good ability.

Seriously why are they not available at the Battle Maison Game Freak you are stoopid.

I need a good name for a female Pineco/Forretress! Naming the Chespin 'Lancelot' made sense, but what do you call an armored pinecone, man? Let alone a lady armored pinecone.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
hahahaha, I've been trading away all these torchics. I just got a torchic in return.

We literally just swapped torchics, this is amazing.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Seriously why are they not available at the Battle Maison Game Freak you are stoopid.
From what i've heard, they are wild hold items on Magneton

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I finally beat the E4!

It's a standard team:

Fang The Aerodactyl: He was quite a glass cannon. Took down the Dragon trainer and cleaned up in the Fire Trainer battle.
Grimace The Gengar: He did pretty well although he ended up getting creamed against Mega Gardevoir.
Solizard The Heliolisk: He solo'ed the Water Trainer and made him a complete joke.
Jerome The Pangoro: The Heaviest hitter on the team, taking down most of the Champ's Pokémon (and Probopass).
Crush The Blastoise: Took down the Fire Trainer easily.
Azula The Delphox: She really helped out with the Steel trainer.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Rudoku posted:

Yeah. Friend Safari a male Espurr. I have one sitting around my PC if you want it, too.

Yesssss what's your FC? (Do you have PMs?)

Wish Chimecho does not work anywhere near as well as I hoped. I think it managed to get one heal bell off all e4. Slowbro, Medicham and Malamar all ruined everything in their path. Eggs pulled his weight, Bronzong was fairly good, would be a lot better if I could get stealth rock (or if I had light screen BEFORE the endgame).

Slowbro almost solo'd everything, Malva letting him get 3 calm minds off before she realised to stop using hyper voice ended that one quickly. That Scizor was painful.

Someone tell me how to be better with only psychics, psychics are the best.

e; Also switching an EV trained heatproof Bronzong into mega charizard in random battles is utterly hilarious, a quick rock slide death and they clearly can't understand why they aren't doing any damage.

154 hours

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

One thing many people don't realize about Slowbro is that it can learn Flamethrower and Fire Blast, which can come in very handy if you're having Scizor problems.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

The more bitcoins I have on my 2DS the more O-Power I recharge right? Need to walk my 2DS more to feed my breeding efforts for hatching power 3. The 4 IV froakie I got from nerdbot helped but my garbage female is still making me toss a lot froakies into the incinerator. Going to take an hour or two later on to wonder trade them all. Garbage froakies for everyone in Japan! Wonder traded with someone in Fukushima earlier and now I am worried about the pokemon being radioactive.

The charge rate increase isn't based on your (2)3DS's current coin count, it's based on how many steps are on the pedometer at the time. 2000+ makes it level 2, 3000+ makes it level 3, and 4000+ makes it level 4. (so I hear, the O-powers seem to cap at 3 so having a level 4 charge rate is unusual.) Getting more coins is just incidental, as you get 10 for the first 1000 steps in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

One thing many people don't realize about Slowbro is that it can learn Flamethrower and Fire Blast, which can come in very handy if you're having Scizor problems.

I considered this, but I didn't ever have a good opportunity to switch him in and Calm Mind up. Aegislash may have been good for that, in retrospect. He had Scald/Ice beam for dragons.

Eventually I just fake out + HJK'd it, took three attempts before the kick connected. Two total wipes.

• Locked thread