Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm pretty sure that's right, yeah. I know Sleep definitely works like that, and Poison has pretty much the same wording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Bosushi! posted:

I posted this in the board game thread, but I thought it deserved mention here as well.

There's been rumors circulating that FFG has been working on a LCG version of Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Well, I just saw this. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4245

I have a feeling this could be their introduction to their own vampire setting to provide for the LCG, like Android for Netrunner.

I'm so loving happy if this is the case.

I don't know, a lot of my love for VTES is the batshit crazy OWoD setting. I'd love to have it see the light of day though :rimshot:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Spiffo posted:

A few of us went on a nostalgia bent and started getting back into Pokemon Cards. I'm having trouble working out how Poison and Sleep works, though.

1. Poison: does poison damage pile on after each player's turn? So if I poisoned my opponent to end my turn, would they take 10 damage before their turn starts? And when their turn is over, they'd take another 10, and then take another 10 when mine is over, and so on until they're KO'd or switch out?

Compared to the video game, it sounds like poison damage is stacking up twice as fast.

2. Sleep: it sounds like the coinflip for sleep is kind of the same. So if my opponent puts me to sleep (ending their turn), it looks like I can flip the coin and maybe wake up immediately and not lose any turns. Likewise, with something that puts me to sleep (like Rest) I get two chances to wake up before my next turn? (I Rest > Turn Ends > Flip > Opponent's turn > Flip > My turn)?

The rest of the rules are pretty straightforward, it's the In-Between phase that I'm not 100% sure on.

I don't actually have an answer for this, but a great way to relearn the rules is by playing the pokemon tcg online. Its a downloadable client straight from Nintendo and is actually pretty fun. Though I do know that sleep works that way.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Spiffo posted:

Poison

Sleep

That is exactly how Poison and Sleep works. Incidentally, it makes Poison good (really good for toxic-like effects, which do 20 or 30 damage between turns) and Sleep really bad, completely inverse to the actual games. :v:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Good, that's how I understood them but I wasn't sure

DapperDuck posted:

Incidentally, it makes Poison good (really good for toxic-like effects, which do 20 or 30 damage between turns) and Sleep really bad, completely inverse to the actual games.
and this is why I wasn't sure. I thought it sounded completely backwards - turns out it is.

You can tell we just started out with the plasma freeze decks - Grimer owns.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I have this really awful idea of making new templates For Score's DBZ CCG with updated rules text and maybe some other changes to streamline the writing on cards to make them easier to understand but otherwise the same. Of course that would mean watching that awful show all the way through again just to get screenshots of the right frames.

But, if I went through the trouble to get one set done or get all the templates made, would anyone be interested in helping with the project or getting a PDF of the proxy cards?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Playin' Yu-Gi-Oh! again for god knows why.

Named my new Dark World gear "DARK WORLD DISC@ARD" - clever, eh? EH!?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So this popped up.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/about/

Hopefully, more news will follow shortly.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yep, that's the Doomtown LCG everyone has been telling them to make pretty much since LCG's became a thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hopefully Zombie Abraham Lincoln will be able to devour a penny farthing bicycle whole like in the Doomtown of old.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hopefully Zombie Abraham Lincoln will be able to devour a penny farthing bicycle whole like in the Doomtown of old.

HE'S A GHOST NOT A ZOMBIE JEEEEZ

(Yes I own and have painted a miniature of Ghost Lincoln)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hey, that's my schtick!

Seriously, I am so stoked for this. Doomtown is an incredible game - maybe not quite as mechanically strong as Shadowfist, but with much better lore and better designed for two-player.

E: Looks like there are new factions and a new storyline. The site mentions the Sloane Gang, the Morgan Cattle Company and the Fourth Ring. The first presumably replaces the Black Jacks, the second sounds Sweetrock-esque and the last could be similar to the Whateleys with a dash of Maze Rats.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 15, 2014

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Is there any confirmation somewhere that this will be an LCG and not a CCG? Because if I hear the words "Rolling Thunder", it's going to break my heart.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

InShaneee posted:

Is there any confirmation somewhere that this will be an LCG and not a CCG? Because if I hear the words "Rolling Thunder", it's going to break my heart.

Just guessing since they list the two products as "Base Set" and "Deluxe Base Set" which sound like LCG packs. And also because they just started to dip their toes into the whole LCG thing recently with the Legend of the Burning Sands pseudo LCG they're making.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 15, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

InShaneee posted:

I doubt AEG will ever allow Rolling Thunder near Doomtown again.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

GAMA trade show flyer has some images and information for Doomtown Reloaded on page 36.

http://gamatradeshow.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=t4b1tH6RF-k%3d&tabid=2644

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
This is the best news ever- I love Doomtown so much.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

An hour ago, this got posted on the Doomtown CCG fan page.

quote:

"Hello folks!
Well as some of you may have figured out, we have a bit of an announcement at GAMA this week, regarding a certain little title called... Doomtown: Reloaded!
Now the site will go live, all the BGG stuff, all the social media, all that jazz on Tuesday, but since you here have been the die-hards who have kept Doomtown going all these years I thought it was only right to come to you first and share the news.
Doomtown: Reloaded has been in the works for quite a while now. It's a single-box game, no more collectible cards. You buy it, you get all the base set, including four faction outfits for building decks. Very shortly after the release we'll have our first saddlebag expansion which feature a selection of new cards.
We're going to have organized play events, the Badge Series (which we'll tell more about in June leading up to the release) and more. We are releasing at GenCon and will have an inaugural tournament for the game there this year as well. So come ready to play!
Now, we figure you have a lot of questions, so I'm going to answer what i can here, and if I didn't cover it, assume I probably can't talk about it yet. We do have a plan for the release of information since we are 5 months away.
1. Is this a continuation of Doomtown or a new game?
- Well kinda both. It continues Doomtown in the sense that it's Gomorra, but a while later. A few faces you remember are around, but much of the town is new citizens. You could in theory play the new game with old cards, but it would require sleeves (hint, the backs have changed). While that's totally cool for casual play, for official events it's Reloaded only.
2. Will there be a story?
- Yes there will be. It won't be as deep and involved as the L5R story but there is a plotline and there will be LIMITED chances for players to have an impact.
3. Hrm... what's this about streamlining?
- We have done all we can to make the game inviting and accessible to new players, while still being Doomtown. Mostly this is clearing up of some effects, making cards more straightforward, eliminating other rules that were extraneous, etc. You'll be able to learn all about it when the rulebook is made public in a month or so.
4. What's this about a deluxe box?
- We will have the basic box that will be the intro set, then we'll also have a deluxe box that has the same cards but comes in a wood case, with real clay poker chips, metal ghost rock coins, and wooden outfit cards. Really swanky. There will be a limited number of these available.
5. Is that Wendy on the cover?
- Why yes, yes it is.
6. So what's with the factions this time? Where's my Collegium?
- With the big shift in Gomorra, some factions have simply uprooted and left town, or were wiped out. In the newly rebuilding town, we have:
- The Law Dogs, still around, still trying to hold it together.
- The Sloane Gang, a dirty bunch that's all about causing trouble.
- The Morgan Cattle Company - who have set up some ranches outside of town for testing new breeding and feeding programs with their R&D department.
- The Fourth Ring, a really cool circus that I swear has been here a while but it seems like they just got here yesterday... but i know i saw that poster on the barber shop a month ago... hey you wanna go to that new circus tonight?
7. Are any other factions going to come back?
- Perhaps in the future, but not for a while. This is the new town.
8. What about hexes, gadgets, blessings, abominations?
- All that will be revealed in the next few months.
So that's all I can really get into now. I will say that we really hope you all will join us in this new endeavor. We will be going aggressively after new customers, as that's what every new launch has to do, so most of our marketing may not exactly be speaking to you as much. That said, we really hope you'll be the focal point of new communities of players at your local stores and hangouts. Our big focus is going to be on building communities of players in the early months, and you all will be vital to that.
Thank you again for all of your dedication to Doomtown over the years. We hope you'll enjoy Reloaded!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/129849126180/permalink/10152274270066181/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if they still have license to use Deadlands stuff and if they don't that's why a lot of the Deadlands specific powers and factions might be out.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Screen Grab from the big-rear end pdf:

It's been awhile since I've played Doomtown, but I think those cards look exactly like the old ones.

And there's a hex, hucksters & abominations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if they still have license to use Deadlands stuff and if they don't that's why a lot of the Deadlands specific powers and factions might be out.

They do. Among the information released in GAMA is that the game will be taking place in Deadlands. Also, it's a continuation of the story of Gomorra.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

adhuin posted:

Screen Grab from the big-rear end pdf:

It's been awhile since I've played Doomtown, but I think those cards look exactly like the old ones.

And there's a hex, hucksters & abominations.

Not even close. They've kept some features, but all the new cards use standard text boxes and look pretty generic. The old ones had unique frames and text boxes for each type of card, which gave them a lot of flavour and style. Spells were a tanned hide, Dudes were like unto a Wanted poster, and most importantly Actions used the action of a pistol as the text box. For contrast:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, the loss of visual flare in the cards is the only thing I'm annoyed with. It's a minor down note in some fantastic news.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I find myself wondering if there's going to be state inflation. Shadow Walk used to be Noon 4 and Shootout 6.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The new style is a lot easier to read at least.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, I agree with that. Losing flavor for legibility isn't too tragic to me, probably because I'm some sort of moleman and tiny text can be a serious pain when you want to keep a game moving.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah a lot of times with certain cards reading them across the table is annoying because they're so busy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Only sorta a CCG, but the upcoming Marvel Dice Masters uses the same booster-driven model (and still has cards so there's that). I preordered a case (60 packs) for $40 on CoolStuffInc and tried to grab a starter deck but they were already all sold out. Anyone else have their eye on this? I really liked Marvel's last not-serious CCG attempt in Super Hero Squad, and I'm hoping this will be as fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmqPvAVPI4

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Countblanc posted:

Only sorta a CCG, but the upcoming Marvel Dice Masters uses the same booster-driven model (and still has cards so there's that). I preordered a case (60 packs) for $40 on CoolStuffInc and tried to grab a starter deck but they were already all sold out. Anyone else have their eye on this? I really liked Marvel's last not-serious CCG attempt in Super Hero Squad, and I'm hoping this will be as fun.

Since I play HeroClix, I've actually heard about this a while back (being a Wizkids product and all), and was interested in seeing how it would work. Seems pretty simple since it's a bit like Quarriors, but more one-on-one focused. Wizkids/NECA is also apparently going to be supporting Dice Masters with actual Organized Play, akin to what they do with HeroClix and Attack Wing. So, I'll probably end up getting a Starter and a couple packs down the line.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Real quick, is there a Game of Thrones LCG thread in Dice & Drama somewhere?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Feeple posted:

Real quick, is there a Game of Thrones LCG thread in Dice & Drama somewhere?

Theres a general LCG thread here

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I realize it's now defunct but what would be the best thing to pick up to get started with the WoWTCG? My wife and I enjoy playing some magic after our little girl goes to sleep and I was hoping to expand out into other games. My LGS has plenty of WoWTCG stuff but no clear "starter" set or the like.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Typhus733 posted:

I realize it's now defunct but what would be the best thing to pick up to get started with the WoWTCG? My wife and I enjoy playing some magic after our little girl goes to sleep and I was hoping to expand out into other games. My LGS has plenty of WoWTCG stuff but no clear "starter" set or the like.

I would start with some Class Decks and a Booster Box from Blood of Gladiators. Since you obviously don't care about set legality and such you can grab a booster box from the sets published by Upper Deck for extremely cheap (Through the Dark Portal especially). The Spring 2011 Class Decks are probably the best place to start if you want fixed cards, otherwise the UpperDeck era starter boxes (which are semi-random) are much cheaper, although each of the 2011 decks has a single booster inside it which ups the value somewhat. Hills Wholesale is a pretty good place to buy but the newer sets are still going to be premium priced. Depending on what you pay for them Epic Collections can also be a good deal.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Between the game being discontinued and people only buying the packs for the loot cards you can probably find big pills of cars for cheap on eBay too.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Between the game being discontinued and people only buying the packs for the loot cards you can probably find big pills of cars for cheap on eBay too.

Part of the price disparity between sets has to do entirely with the Pollo Grande and Spectral Kitten loot cards.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'd like to take a minute to talk about a game that very few people liked but those of us that liked it adored it. It was called...

MLB Showdown was an idea that made perfect sense yet was doomed to fail. WotC sat down one day and said "hey, this CCG thing we've got going is pretty awesome. We combined games with baseball cards! So why don't we be really blatant about it and make a game out of baseball cards?" Makes perfect sense, right?

Except for the part where the people who're interested in baseball cards usually aren't interested in card games that require rules and stats and twenty-sided dice, and the people who are into that sort of thing usually aren't into baseball. The overlapping portion of that Venn diagram is pretty small, is what I'm saying here.

I was in that small slice of people.

The game was really pretty simple. You had two types of cards: player cards, who are, you know, baseball players:

I swear to god, Tim Spooneybarger really is that guy's name

And Strategy cards, which you played to modify certain plays:

Grouped into "offense" and "Defense" cards, which were played depending on whether you were the batting team or the pitching team at any given time, and "utility" cards which could be played at any time.

You selected your lineup and your bench by spending an agreed-upon number of points - note how Ichiro up there costs 300 points in that card but Kurt Abbott is only 220. At first your "bench players" - players that did not start a game but could be substituted in later - were bought at a discount, but then everyone realized that was stupid because people would field a team of nobodies and a bench full of amazing players and swap them all out at the earliest possible opportunity.

Now, see those little charts on each player card? Let's get into those. The player of the pitching team rolls a d20 and adds his pitcher's Control stat to it. The resulting number is compared to the On-Base stat of the batter. If the pitcher's roll is above the on-base stat of the batter, then when the batter rolls to see if he hit, he uses the chart on the pitcher's card. Otherwise, he uses the chart on the batter's card.

So, to use the above cards as an example:

I'm playing the batting team. Top of the 7th, nobody on, nobody out. Ichiro comes to bat. My opponent, who we'll call Ziggy because that's the name of the only other dude I ever actually got to play this game with, brings in Tim Spooneybarger (his real name, honest!) to face him. Ziggy rolls a 2, which means with Spooneybarger's control he gets a 8, lower than Ichiro's On-Base of 12. I roll on the chart on Ichiro's card and get a 9, for a result of 'Single.' Ichiro's on first base!

Next up to the plate is Kurt Abbott; Abbott's On-Base is an anemic 7, which means he can only get the advantage - rolling on his own chart - if Ziggy rolls a 1. He doesn't, he rolls a 14, so now I roll for the at-bat using the chart on Spooneybarger's card (I swear, typing out the name 'Spooneybarger' is a hell of a lot of fun). I roll a 4, and Abbott strikes out.

This game was terribly fun... but it wasn't very fast. Games of MLB Showdown didn't take as long as, say, a real baseball game - and the beers were certainly cheaper - but they could still go on for a pretty significant amount of time if you weren't careful. There were rules for how many innings a pitcher could pitch without getting tired, and how a fielding team could try and turn a double play on a ground ball out, and trying to steal bases. In later expansions they gave certain players 'icons' for real-life achievements, so that a pitcher who'd won the Cy Young Award (that is to say, he was considered the best pitcher in his league for a season) could add 1 to his 'Innings Pitched' stat every time he got three outs in an inning without giving up a single hit or walk (a 1-2-3 inning, as they say), meaning you could potentially keep a dominant pitcher in the game longer without his getting tired. It was complicated and had lots of fiddly crunch, while still keeping a degree of randomness to ensure that even the best players struck out sometimes.

...which is, arguably, what doomed it.

It was too fiddly for more casual players to really compete save via blind luck - especially if you were like me and said things like "Wow, Mariano Rivera is a great pitcher and all but I'm a Red Sox fan so I'm not putting any goddamn New York Yankees in my deck grrrr" (I was younger then, and more stupid, and besides it was 2001 and hating the Yankees was about all any Red Sox fan could muster up the energy to do). However, there was enough luck involved that even the most poorly-constructed deck could beat down the finely-tuned ultra-competitive stacked-with-rares God Decks... which only ended up infuriating the owners of the latter.

In the end it was a combination of factors - being too complex for filthy casuals like myself to really wrap our heads around, but too random for the number-crunchers and rare-hoarders to ever feel comfortable in their dominance, plus the sadly tiny overlap between baseball fans and CCG fans, plus the fact that once you had a solid team there was really no need to ever change it, as there was no real 'metagame' to develop alternate playstyles - that doomed MLB Showdown. It held on from 2000 to 2005, which is pretty respectable, but nowadays it's long forgotten.

I miss it dearly.

P.S. Spooneybarger!

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

I played hundreds of games of Showdown with and against dozens of different teams, and I think I agree with everything in your post. The game did a remarkable job of simulating a real game of baseball, but baseball is a low variable game (which means high variance.) Over time our collected stats for a season looked just like the stats of a real season, and just like in a real season our best teams sometimes got bounced by wild card teams that were accepted as crap stacks as far as decks are concerned. Our play group had two competitive card game players and one avid baseball fan and baseball card collector, and though we played it a ton for one season, I think the only thing we truly enjoyed about it was keeping track of the stats and comparing them to other players in our league/real players. Not coincidentally, I think I enjoy the stats part of real baseball more than watching real baseball. The salary cap rules were probably my favorite thing about the game. Also, if the card game taught me anything, it's that (traditionally) the national league is superior to the American league from a strategy stand point. Stolen bases, sacrifices, defense and pitching. That's how you won with any consistency.

(Omar Vizquel was the best player in the first set of the game)

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 11, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Y'know what? I've only seen this game mentioned once, too, and it deserves better:

The BattleTech Collectible Card Game was produced from 1996 to 2001, and was designed by Richard Garfield right around the same time as Netrunner and Jyhad Vampire:The Eternal Struggle. It was based on the then-still-fairly-popular BattleTech universe from FASA, coming out right around the time the game was starting to attract more interest thanks to the development of a pretty good PC game you may have heard of, MechWarrior 2, and some interesting in-universe events such as the Invasion of the Clans.

The basic gist of the setting was that in the future, humans have settled a big chunk of space but then everyone started shooting at each other with Giant Stompy Death Robots and a lot of things got Blown The gently caress Up. Somewhere along the way, basically everyone forgot how to make new Giant Stompy Death Robots, and so they just continued handing them down from generation to generation, patching them up and jury-rigging them as best they could (this happened for a number of reasons in-universe, but the big one was an orchestrated campaign of espionage and disinformation by ComStar - who are basically Space AT&T and the Catholic Church at the same time. Seriously). So wars became smaller and smaller in scale, because no one could replace any destroyed BattleMechs (the aforementioned Giant Stompy Death Robots) and they were too useful to risk without a drat good reason.

(imagine if everyone forgot how to build tanks and we'd spent the last 200 years patching up old M4 Sherman tanks from WWII, basically)

BattleTech had been a successful tabletop miniatures game since 1984, and its owners, FASA, had always been very eager to push the boundaries of new gaming systems to try and show off their universe. There was a roleplaying game, several PC games (I still have fond memories of playing The Crescent Hawks' Inception from Infocom - Infocom of all people! - in '88), comic books, hell - there was a cartoon at one point. It is legendarily terrible. But when Magic came out, FASA were pretty quick to realize that this was another market they could smoosh their IP into, so they called up WotC and said "hey, get that Magic guy to do a game for us, too."

And it was a really fun game!

You had several types of cards. The meat of the deck would be 'Mechs:

These are your big stompy robots that you use to shoot other big stompy robots. In Magic terms - and it was easy to think of everything in Magic terms back then - these are your creatures. Later they introduced vehicles and other non-giant-robot units, but the giant robots are what the game's about.

You'd want to throw in some Command cards:

These could be thought of as spells and enchantments; they tended to either be 'screw your opponent' or 'pilots and upgrades' that could be attached to specific 'Mechs. Your resource-building cards (lands!) were also considered Command.

(a note: for some reason the word BattleMech is shortened to 'Mech, with the apostrophe in front. I have never found a good reason why, but I cannot seem to stop typing it. Old habits.)

Lastly you'd want some Mission cards:

These were your Instants, played mid-combat.

"Gee, DCB," I imagine someone saying (seriously, someone say this because otherwise I look dumb), "describing everything in Magic terms like that... is this just a reskin of an existing game? What makes it different?"

I'm glad you asked, Hypothetical Poster Who Allows Me To Segue Into This Section Of The Post! A few things made BattleTech different - certainly different at the time, though some of these mechanics have since been used by other (and probably better) games.

For one, your deck was your life. You could have no more than 60 cards, and each time you took damage, you scrapped (discarded) a card from your stockpile (deck). I seem to recall that BattleTech wasn't the only game using this mechanic at the time, but it still felt new and innovative!

For another, your 'Mechs were constructed face-down; you laid them down and then allocated Resources to them, sometimes over several turns. When enough Resources were laid on a card, you turned it face-up and it went on patrol. There was nothing saying you had to do this, of course, so you could dump point after point on a cheap, weak 'Mech to bluff your opponent into thinking you had a monster badass machine coming.

So why didn't it go anywhere?

Well, you could lay the blame on the fact that while BattleTech has some neat ideas and concepts, and certainly felt different enough at the time to be its own thing while still familiar enough that Magic fans could grok it... it wasn't different enough. Coming in in the early phase of the Giant CCG Glut/Boom, it didn't stand out enough to be of much interest to people who weren't already fans of the universe.

And therein lies the other problem. FASA basically fell victim to Power Creep right around this time. Their universe was getting stagnant, so they introduced the Clans, invaders from outside the setting's "Inner Sphere" who were the descendants of long-vanished soldiers who had Better Technology and Better Pilots and Better Infantry and they were just better. The game world was awash over the next few years as people tried to cone to grips with the new faction and gameplay - at the time the usual method for determining a 'fair fight' was by 'Mech weight, so 200 combined tons of 'Mechs could fight each other and it was considered sort of balanced (say, a 55-tonner, a 65-tonner, and an 80-tonner versus eight 25-tonners). It wasn't balanced, at all, but that's still what people did. The Clans came in and blew that equation out of the water, with 50-ton 'Mechs that could still shoot farther, hit harder, move faster, and absorb more damage than an Inner Sphere 70-tonner, but the 'Battle Value' system that ranked 'Mechs based on capability rather than just weight was not in widespread use yet, so all the grognards (and BattleTech is a very grognard-y game) resented the kids coming in to play their beloved miniatures game and pulling out bullshit Clan 'Mechs because they wanted to shoot harder and faster and more.

Add in to this the fact that the game's setting and metaplot - that word didn't really exist yet, but it was a metaplot - was more and more heavily influenced by BattleTech novelists who had a tendency to make their pet characters win at all costs no matter what, plus some financial issues caused by the fact that much of the early BattleTech art was shamelessly ripped off from a variety of anime (including one I grew up calling 'Robotech,' which, you know, was sort of a big deal), and the CCG just... wasn't a big priority.

(ironically, by the time they actually introduced the Clans into the card game, I think they did a much better job balancing their costs than the miniatures game would for another few years!)

Anyways, this combination of "nothing really makes it stand out," "the IP owners had other things on their mind," and "the market was enormously glutted" made BattleTech: the CCG fade away. They kept putting out cards for it for quite some time, gamely holding on to their relatively tiny niche, but when FASA shut down in 2001 the CCG went with it.

I miss it dearly. Some of my fondest flat-crack memories involved this game, from a buddy of mine trying desperately to build a deck themed around the extremely minor faction of the St. Ives Confederacy to another guy building a no-'Mechs-all-vehicles deck just to see if he could only to discover that it was a friggin' monster to getting to enjoy a richly detailed and long-lived setting despite the fact that I was terrible at the miniatures game. It was a great representation of the BattleTech universe and it deserves better than to be forgotten, so here. Now it doesn't have to be.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Battletech was awesome. I loved how the effect of losing cards from your deck to a largely untouchable graveyard forced you to make up plans on the fly once key assets were destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Battletech was awesome. I loved how the effect of losing cards from your deck to a largely untouchable graveyard forced you to make up plans on the fly once key assets were destroyed.

There was nothing quite like the feeling you got when you designed your deck around having a few awesome unique pilots and then saw them get scrapped because your opponent rushed out and built some Locusts or Fleas or similarly cheap-and-usually-awful 'Mechs and hit you before you could adequately defend.

• Locked thread