Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Oh hey it's another Colonial Marines fire sale, $5 on Amazon right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K6YJTS?tag=deals4dowcom-20

To match Steam's $5 Halloween sale?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/49540/

But! According to the Deals4Downloads page (and nowhere else)...

http://www.deals4downloads.com/games/detail/1jmx/buy-aliens-colonial-marines-5-credit-pc-download/rg6x?utm_source=feedly

...you get $5 credit just for buying it. So Amazon are basically paying you a penny in store credit to buy Aliens.

Yes, we are at the point where stores are willing to PAY YOU FOR IT

You're still paying fifty cents or so in tax. NO DEAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
How do you know there's a $5 credit? It doesn't appear to say anything on the site...

I'm still mildly curious just to see what a train wreck the game is.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Amanda Ripley, truly amazing. On the one hand that's stupid for all the reasons already discussed here. On the other hand I guess they figure after the embarrassment of Colonial Marines what have they got to lose? What I don't understand though is there's a trillion horrible Dark Horse comics about Aliens in various settings and time periods, why don't they just rip off or license one of those stories? You'd have new characters but all the cliche Aliens stuff is there anyway. There have been so many Alien video games throughout history, I've played them all, and all the best ones are the ones that focus on getting the Aliens right and having a focused atmosphere, it doesn't matter who the characters are and, at this point in time, I doubt anyone who is on the fence about this new game is going to suddenly buy it because you get to play as Ripley's daughter.

Yeah, there's no reason they can't make a Alien/batman or Alien/Harlem Globetrotters movie or video game. Or even a cartoon series.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 30, 2013

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

ChickenHeart posted:

Edit: Looking at my profile, it turns out the rarest achievement I've got comes from the DLC campaign:

I'd bet dollars to donuts it's because:

a) People didn't buy the DLC

b) People who bought the DLC, didn't PLAY the DLC

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Rasa posted:

Still not worth the effort.

After seeing the movie a lot, not liking it all that much myself but absolutely loving that work print of it released on the more recent anthologies, I think it's great. One thing I noticed in retrospect though, especially in the version released in theaters, audience evaluation was that it stunk because Newt/Hicks die so early, but the real reason this is so noticeable is because the two most developed guys in the prison, Brian Glover's Warden Andrews and Charles Dance's Dr. Clemens, get killed off so early and in rapid succession. I love Alien 3 but after that point the theatrical version really is just a bunch of bald dudes running around in the dark.

The work print is amazing though, I think it's great and miraculously well realized given what the film's original creators had to deal with.

Amanda Ripley, truly amazing. On the one hand that's stupid for all the reasons already discussed here. On the other hand I guess they figure after the embarrassment of Colonial Marines what have they got to lose? What I don't understand though is there's a trillion horrible Dark Horse comics about Aliens in various settings and time periods, why don't they just rip off or license one of those stories? You'd have new characters but all the cliche Aliens stuff is there anyway. There have been so many Alien video games throughout history, I've played them all, and all the best ones are the ones that focus on getting the Aliens right and having a focused atmosphere, it doesn't matter who the characters are and, at this point in time, I doubt anyone who is on the fence about this new game is going to suddenly buy it because you get to play as Ripley's daughter.

I really liked Charles Dutton's character. I also think that a lot of people thought it sucked because they were expecting more shooting up of Xenomorphs, which they didn't get at all. But I think the tone of the movie is amazing because even when they technically "win", they lose. They kill the Alien off, and then Ripley kills herself.

But the theatrical version is a mess. If I remember correctly, Golic is just a loose strand that the movie forgets about in the theatrical cut.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

I really liked Charles Dutton's character. I also think that a lot of people thought it sucked because they were expecting more shooting up of Xenomorphs, which they didn't get at all. But I think the tone of the movie is amazing because even when they technically "win", they lose. They kill the Alien off, and then Ripley kills herself.

But the theatrical version is a mess. If I remember correctly, Golic is just a loose strand that the movie forgets about in the theatrical cut.

The recut of it is fantastic, but I think it would have been a bit scarier if the alien still came out of the dog in it. The alien coming out of an ox that already died offscreen wasn't quite as dramatic.

Every other change was a big improvement though.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I didn't mind the Ox at all, I feel like there was probably more footage to that part but it was the worst quality out of everything.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I picked up an extra copy of Colonial Marines on Steam with the intention of inflicting gifting it to a friend.

So far four people on my friends list, including the original recipient, have refused the game. I even tried to throw in a free TF2 hat.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I'll take it! I can stream it and show how awful it is.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I also think that a lot of people thought it sucked because they were expecting more shooting up of Xenomorphs, which they didn't get at all. But I think the tone of the movie is amazing because even when they technically "win", they lose. They kill the Alien off, and then Ripley kills herself.

I thought it was stupid precisely because it had Ripley in it at all, when her story arc had very clearly ended in the previous film. The need to include baggage from the previous films crippled it, and continues to cripple most Alien-related media.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mortal Sword posted:

I thought it was stupid precisely because it had Ripley in it at all, when her story arc had very clearly ended in the previous film. The need to include baggage from the previous films crippled it, and continues to cripple most Alien-related media.

I absolutely don't understand what it is with the Alien franchise and this weird attachment to specific character continuity. There are other possibilities for harried civilian survivor than Ellen Ripley(or Amanda Ripley, apparently). There are other colonial marines and military dudes you can explore besides Hicks and Apone and Hudson and Vasquez and whoever. There are other evil shitheads besides Burke. You don't need these characters present to form a narrative framework because the inherent horror of the xenomorphs is enough of a framework on its own.

But they keep doing it, even when they weaken their own product and have to twist their narrative into a pretzel to try to get it to make sense, because of some weird fear that an Alien story without some sort of callback to Aliens will be an inherent failure.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Mortal Sword posted:

I think Alien 3 is the least egregious example of this. Frankly, another Alien wasn't going to get made without Weaver on board, and out of the two or three scripts I saw the one we got was the least ridiculous. Plus, I thought it did a great job of skewering its own characters (literally, in the case of Hicks) and pointing out the shortcomings of the series' own themes.

Alien 3 was entirely about destroying Ripley as a character, using inverted religious metaphors the entire film. She is surrounded by pious monks who despise her and her lack of faith, and acts as Eve in bringing temptation and death to what was previously a harmonious group. The alien is constantly referred to as a beast or a dragon, representing the serpent she led to the prisoner's garden. She carries an immaculately conceived being inside of her (there's a thematic reason why we never saw her get facehugged), and yet is the only character in the series actually shown having sex - with a man who is immediately killed. At the end she dies baptizing herself in fire in a cruciform shape, performing what amounts to an abortion on the alien inside her.

It's a terrible mess of religious themes held together by shoestring and an amazing score, and I can't bring myself not to really like the film.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

ChickenHeart posted:

I picked up an extra copy of Colonial Marines on Steam with the intention of inflicting gifting it to a friend.

So far four people on my friends list, including the original recipient, have refused the game. I even tried to throw in a free TF2 hat.

Chickenheart, lets do this. I'll drink so much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Golic and several other characters just sort of vanish after the failed (in the theatrical version) attempt to capture the alien. What a terrible movie, the work print is so much better it's hilarious the theatrical version was even released. If you get the re-release of it on blu-ray they actually even further improved the completed ox scene and the making of documentary isn't edited like it was on DVD (they cut it to make it a bit less critical of Fox and some executives).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 31, 2013

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'd be down to play the game for free. The shared drunk shame of playing co-op makes a fantastic foundation for a toxic gaming group.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

E-Tank on Steam.

I've got Alan wake as an icon. Please?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mortal Sword posted:

I think in order for the mood and some of the themes to work in Alien 3, you would need to have someone you are familiar with. But her character arc wasn't really finished. I mean, what do you think is going to happen to them once the company finds out that not only did Ripley blow up a space freighter, but she blew up a atmosphere processor now too. I also think it shows how intertwined their fates are with the Xenomorph literally becoming a part of her in Alien 3.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
At this point I think I'm writing off this franchise entirely, and I say that as someone who adores the original film and sequel.

The sad thing is there's the core of a good idea here, an intense, Amnesia style game where you are stranded on a ship with a xeno is something that could be amazing. The idea of playing as Amanda Ripley and shooting faceless mercs is just hilariously bad.

On the Alien 3 chat, I only first saw the work print recently, and wow it is actually a solid movie. The theatrical cut was such a goddamned mess though.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

blackguy32 posted:

what do you think is going to happen to them once the company finds out that not only did Ripley blow up a space freighter, but she blew up a atmosphere processor now too.
Ripley didn't blow up the atmosphere processor, though. It was damaged to the point of critical meltdown when the dropship crashed into it on the way to pick up Ripley and the survivors and take them back to the Sulaco so they could blow up up the atmosphere processor.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm actually not that opposed to wedging in some connection to Ellen Ripley because as stupid as it is, that's just the par stupid for Aliens things. It's bad, sure, but we've seen it before, and we can roll our eyes and move on. What gets me is that the dev proudly announced "don't worry fans, we're not going to bore you with the iconic villain of the series, you'll be mostly fighting faceless mercenaries! Just like that classic scene from the movies when two marines shot at eachother, that's what Alien fans are here to see!". I almost wonder if the developer was just joking and the reporter thought it was serious, because you could not be farther from what Aliens is all about than to proudly say it focuses on mercenary enemies.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

How bad of a person am I if I giveaway a copy or two of this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Testekill posted:

It still isn't at Bad Rats pricing, so pretty bad.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Sure i'd take a copy. How bad can it be right? :v:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Testekill posted:

I need streaming fodder, and honestly for all the hatred I keep hearing, I want to experience it for myself. :v:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It still isn't at Bad Rats pricing, so pretty bad.

I dunno dude. Its only 5 bucks on Steam right now.
Problem is I need it for my Alien/Predator franchise collection and its not exactly a physical copy. With PS3 and 360 basically going kablooey within the month I bet the console versions will be used for less than that AND it isn't rewarding Gearbox for being a chode.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NEC12405&mode=retail And for 12 bucks you can have these :neckbeard: guys. (Or just spend 7 for the Xenomorph.)

Or you know.. wait for this heat: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alien-vs-Predator-The-Miniatures-Game/1430433530510297

Spare the rod, spoil the developer?

(PS: If its not the original Dark Horse Aliens Trilogy by Mark Verheiden before they turned Hicks and Newt to Wilks and Billie it didn't happen. Prometheus? AvP movies 1-2? Alien 3? Resurrection? LALALA DIDN'T HAPPEN COMICS WERE BETTER AND I REJECT REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE A BETTER ONE. If fandoms on the Internet can do this with their shipping I can do it with a superior sequel comic series to my favorite movie of all time.)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Here's an idea for an Aliens game:

A roguelike where you're newt.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Here's an idea for an Aliens game:

A roguelike where you're newt.

Jones the Cat pet simulator.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ChickenHeart posted:

Jones the Cat pet simulator.

I would buy this with American dollars.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Jonesie was the true villain in Alien. He's directly responsible for leading one person to their death, almost doing it to another, and screwing up a plan to catch the alien. The plot twist in the next DLC is that he was also a robot and Ash was reporting directly to him.

Edit: not to mention he was awfully chummy with Paul Reiser in the beginning of Aliens. Probably his boss, too.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Wild T posted:

Jonesie was the true villain in Alien. He's directly responsible for leading one person to their death, almost doing it to another, and screwing up a plan to catch the alien. The plot twist in the next DLC is that he was also a robot and Ash was reporting directly to him.

Edit: not to mention he was awfully chummy with Paul Reiser in the beginning of Aliens. Probably his boss, too.

There's a surprisingly good horror anime in which this is basically the premise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_C.A.T.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Word on the street is that some of that Alien: Isolation art leaked. Two pieces to be exact.

Source is Neogaf so you know... whatever. But still.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Looks like they're going for a Dead Space-ish approach from those pieces. Hopefully Creative Assembly has something up their sleeve to make it more than a clone with a green filter applied.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Dead Space does have some things in common with Aliens so it's not a bad approach, but yeah a reskinned DS would be pretty lame. Going by the name and DS vibe, I'm going to guess it's shooting to be like Dead Space 1: You're a small team of dudes on a derelict vessel filled with alien dudes, things keep breaking on the vessel, fix them while finding a way off. Can't say I have high hopes the game will get proper attention or care to make it more than a DS clone but I do like DS so at least a decent clone can be fun :v:.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Why would they hand the IP to a team that is mostly only known for strategy games? :psyduck:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Why would they hand the IP to a team that is mostly only known for strategy games? :psyduck:

After the clusterfuck that was Rome 2 I don't really have a lot of hope for them going way out of their comfort zone to make, well, any other type of game.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

DrProsek posted:

Dead Space does have some things in common with Aliens so it's not a bad approach, but yeah a reskinned DS would be pretty lame. Going by the name and DS vibe, I'm going to guess it's shooting to be like Dead Space 1: You're a small team of dudes on a derelict vessel filled with alien dudes, things keep breaking on the vessel, fix them while finding a way off. Can't say I have high hopes the game will get proper attention or care to make it more than a DS clone but I do like DS so at least a decent clone can be fun :v:.

I did feel like Dead Space 1 took some inspiration from Alien movies, so it makes sense that they'd do the reverse too. Like that Alien game on the Nintendo DS that was clearly inspired by Metroid games, when Metroid was obviously inspired by the original Alien too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I actually liked Viking a lot, and that Spartan game is supposed to be alright as well. Better them than Gearbox anyway.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

That led me to a weird train of thought. Since Dead Space allegedly started as System Shock 3, just give the Alien IP to Ken Levine and have a game where you wander a ship full of body horror monsters while Mother insults you over the comm system. And you set the ship to self destruct by typing 0451 into a keypad.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Alleged screens have been leaked. We may be getting something more along the lines of Space-Amnesia/Routine rather than a Dead Space clone:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Or we may get Colonial Marines redux. I am a jaded Aliens video game fan now. :v:

• Locked thread