Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Synathaesia posted:

I also debated using Blistercoil Weird, but I kinda like that Rakdos Cackler doesn't die to doom blade.

I'm wondering why you guys are going for devotion, though. Assuming you have Tymaret, YP, Blistercoil, and Purphoros out, you're still short one to activate him. And two of those guys are legendary.

If I was going to run a 1 drop, it would be Tenacious Dead because he can keep bringing himself back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

AlternateNu posted:

I'm wondering why you guys are going for devotion, though. Assuming you have Tymaret, YP, Blistercoil, and Purphoros out, you're still short one to activate him. And two of those guys are legendary.

If I was going to run a 1 drop, it would be Tenacious Dead because he can keep bringing himself back.

If I were going for devotion, I'd probably run Frostburn Weird. I don't mind if Purphoros never becomes a creature. I mostly chose Rakdos Cackler because even if he gets to swing twice, 4 damage speeds up the clock from the Tymaret/Purphoros combo a decent amount.

Tenacious Dead is also a very good one drop, for slightly different reasons.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Synathaesia posted:

If I were going for devotion, I'd probably run Frostburn Weird. I don't mind if Purphoros never becomes a creature. I mostly chose Rakdos Cackler because even if he gets to swing twice, 4 damage speeds up the clock from the Tymaret/Purphoros combo a decent amount.

Tenacious Dead is also a very good one drop, for slightly different reasons.

I like TD because even in the late game, he is relevant as a chump blocker, sacrificial lamb, and Purphoros trigger. I'm going to be trying out a variant that cuts Pack Rat down to 1 and replaces them with TDs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

4 Pyromancers, 3 Frostburns, 2 Blistercoils, Tymaret, and the big P. I'm not exactly going for devotion, but if I get it it's nice. I modified the deck to try to survive my metagame of boring aggro decks until I can stage a comeback. Which is why I'm using Altar's Reap instead of Read the Bones, plus instant speed is nice; I can sac Tymaret and bring him back to my hand EOT and not be down 3 mana. My sideboard is mainly anti-control because there's only 2 control players aside from me.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is how I run white weenies. Going to take it to an SCG Open even though I own mono-black because I like aggro more. 22 lands with so many 3+ drops kind of worries me but I've tested with -1 Frontline Medic and +1 Plains and this version seems to work better (but will probably test with one more land a lot more). I've also tried taking out 4 Frontline Medics for 4 Cavalry Pegasus to ease up on the curve but the downgrade in creature power and toughness makes the Pegasus slot a lot worse than the Medic.

The 2 Path of Bravery and 1 of the Fiendslayers on my sideboard are replacing 1 Pacifism, 1 Glare of Heresy, and 1 Renounce the Guilds. I think this setup will perform a little better in the meta but tell me what you think.

Basically my gameplan is to get weenies out and make them bigger with Spear of Heliod and flying/doublestrike with Ajani. Precinct Captain really shines when you get him out turn 2, which isn't a really big feat.

Heliod comes out and is still 100% useful when I lack devotion because he makes everyone goddamned vigilant. Plus, the instant-speed cleric he can make is great when you manage to get Heliod out but are keeping your mana untapped because you're all out of creatures.

Frontline Medic is also very good for me, even without Heliod on the board. Mutavaults give him the ability to go off even without a third man to attack with so you can keep attacking with indestructible when you're down a creature or want to keep someone home untapped if you're missing Heliod (or have just Frontline Medic, another creature, and Heliod out).

Control gives me a hard time sometimes because the matchup is more mentally intense. Other creature-based decks tend to get pooped on unless I get an abnormally bad draw.

Deck: mono-white privilege

//Lands
2 Mutavault
20 Plains

//Spells
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Brave the Elements
3 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
2 Banisher Priest
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Frontline Medic
3 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Imposing Sovereign
4 Judge's Familiar
4 Precinct Captain
4 Soldier of the Pantheon

//Sideboard
3 Fiendslayer Paladin
2 Pacifism
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Rootborn Defenses
2 Celestial Flare
2 Gideon, Champion of Justice
2 Path of Bravery

Aspergeoisie fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 29, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aspergeoisie posted:

This is how I run white weenies. Going to take it to an SCG Open even though I own mono-black because I like aggro more. 22 lands with so many 3+ drops kind of worries me but I've tested with -1 Frontline Medic and +1 Plains and this version seems to work better (but will probably test with one more land a lot more). I've also tried taking out 4 Frontline Medics for 4 Cavalry Pegasus to ease up on the curve but the downgrade in creature power and toughness makes the Pegasus slot a lot worse than the Medic.

The 2 Path of Bravery and 1 of the Fiendslayers on my sideboard are replacing 1 Pacifism, 1 Glare of Heresy, and 1 Renounce the Guilds. I think this setup will perform a little better in the meta but tell me what you think.

Basically my gameplan is to get weenies out and make them bigger with Spear of Heliod and flying/doublestrike with Ajani. Precinct Captain really shines when you get him out turn 2, which isn't a really big feat.

Heliod comes out and is still 100% useful when I lack devotion because he makes everyone goddamned vigilant. Plus, the instant-speed cleric he can make is great when you manage to get Heliod out but are keeping your mana untapped because you're all out of creatures.

Frontline Medic is also very good for me, even without Heliod on the board. Mutavaults give him the ability to go off even without a third man to attack with so you can keep attacking with indestructible when you're down a creature or want to keep someone home untapped if you're missing Heliod (or have just Frontline Medic, another creature, and Heliod out).

Control gives me a hard time sometimes because the matchup is more mentally intense. Other creature-based decks tend to get pooped on unless I get an abnormally bad draw.

Deck: mono-white privilege

//Lands
2 Mutavault
20 Plains

//Spells
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Brave the Elements
3 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
2 Banisher Priest
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Frontline Medic
3 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Imposing Sovereign
4 Judge's Familiar
4 Precinct Captain

//Sideboard
3 Fiendslayer Paladin
2 Pacifism
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Rootborn Defenses
2 Celestial Flare
2 Gideon, Champion of Justice
2 Path of Bravery

I would swap out one spear for one Path of Bravery just because of the legendary rule. And Dryad Militant > Judge's Familiar in a rush aggro deck.

I love playing Frontline Medic against U/x control because they always forget that he can negate Sphinx's Rev and Syncopate. :v:

Edit: Oh, I also wanted to ask when you side in Gideon. I love the card but its a weird mix of if you're doing your job, they won't have may creatures to buff him. And if you're not, they'll just attack him and kill before he can go all super soldier.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 29, 2013

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

AlternateNu posted:

I would swap out one spear for one Path of Bravery just because of the legendary rule. And Dryad Militant > Judge's Familiar in a rush aggro deck.

I love playing Frontline Medic against U/x control because they always forget that he can negate Sphinx's Rev and Syncopate. :v:

Edit: Oh, I also wanted to ask when you side in Gideon. I love the card but its a weird mix of if you're doing your job, they won't have may creatures to buff him. And if you're not, they'll just attack him and kill before he can go all super soldier.

I've been considering 2 Path of Bravery mainboard because it's just really good early, and one Spear really is a prime switch-out. As for Dryad: The Familiars actually replaced her from my original build and I kept him because I liked the performance. She's got one more power but you'd be surprised how angry people get at not being able to stop 1 (2 with Spear) damage from a flying creature. Plus his text actually does something in this meta. I'll try the Dryads again in the coming week, though.

Gideon goes in vs control matchups that have a lot of creature wipes because he is a creature who is a little more resilient. Cost isn't a problem against decks like that because I don't want to use mana on normal creatures anyway. He doesn't need to go HAM to be effective in that case. Sure, he can still be exiled but he can't be destroyed like other creatures. Sometimes he's good against midrange but it depends on the deck they're playing. If you think something else would suit the deck better for that purpose, or just improve it overall, I'd be willing to dump him.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Aspergeoisie posted:

White weenie deck

That looks like a lot of fun.
Also, remember that if Heliod becomes a creature, he doesn't give himself vigilance.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Yo I'm new to Magic. I've been wanting to get into Magic because of all my friends playing the game (I've also tried the game a couple of times myself with borrowed decks), but I've also found the concept of paying like a hundred buckaroos for a some pieces of cardboard a bit unappealing. But anyway, all my friends have decided to get Pauper EDH decks for the first time so I thought that now's a good time to get in. So without further ado, here's my scrub pauper deck I've been throwing together:

http://www.mtgvault.com/minorkos/decks/babbys-first-deck/

Tandem Lookout is my general.

Some things you should know. First of all, I don't know what the hell I'm doing for the most part. But anyway:

1. I saw the original version of this deck on a forum. But then I took out all the poo poo that sounded boring and/or something I would have trouble using effectively because I'm a dumb idiot when it comes to Magic. I don't know.

2. The reason I picked this kind of deck because it seemed like the most versatile, easiest deck I could handle. It's also pretty low-profile so it probably won't get me focused that much. Except for the fact that I'll probably be punching the underdog in the face every round with my tandem soulbound creatures (we'll be playing 4-6 player games).

3. I had to drop out some good cards due to them not being available on the store I ordered them from. Or they just happened to cost more than I felt like was necessary to pay for a piece of paper. I might not have enough counterspells or whatever. I don't know how this game works.

4. My win strategy with my stunning Magic knowledge is the following: get cards with Tandem Lookout and try to stay in the game as long as possible. I'll probably try to use my brain at some point.

5. I might have had to skim through the OP since it's 5 AM and I'm tired. apologies for gently caress-ups in advance

So anyway just tell me if I'm all set to go play with my friends and have them yell at me for not tapping my mana before summoning a giant spider or whatever

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 29, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

My only problem with a mono-white deck like this is that there isn't really a devotion enabler in white like you have in other monocolored decks right now like black or blue. In fact, unless I goofed the search syntax (a distinct possibility) there's two whole white cards in Theros that care about devotion and you're already running one of them. That said, with the number of global creature buffs you have here it might be worth it to try out the other white "devotion matters" card (Evangel of Heliod), I know it costs 6 but running a few and dropping one with a Spear and/or Path out is a huge problem for your opponent.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

My only problem with a mono-white deck like this is that there isn't really a devotion enabler in white like you have in other monocolored decks right now like black or blue. In fact, unless I goofed the search syntax (a distinct possibility) there's two whole white cards in Theros that care about devotion and you're already running one of them. That said, with the number of global creature buffs you have here it might be worth it to try out the other white "devotion matters" card (Evangel of Heliod), I know it costs 6 but running a few and dropping one with a Spear and/or Path out is a huge problem for your opponent.

If he is going to pay 6 for a bunch of tokens, he might as well play Elspeth since she can just keep pumping them out and wiping the board of high power creatures.

Aspergeoisie posted:

Gideon goes in vs control matchups that have a lot of creature wipes because he is a creature who is a little more resilient. Cost isn't a problem against decks like that because I don't want to use mana on normal creatures anyway. He doesn't need to go HAM to be effective in that case. Sure, he can still be exiled but he can't be destroyed like other creatures. Sometimes he's good against midrange but it depends on the deck they're playing. If you think something else would suit the deck better for that purpose, or just improve it overall, I'd be willing to dump him.

Yeah. Having a 5/5 indestructible creature that ducks removal half the time is pretty nice verses control. And not being able to block with him isn't really a disadvantage. I really like him against mono-U, but the old conundrum occurs that if they flood the field with elemental tokens, you might as well be dead, anyway unless you have Planar Cleansing.

I'm surprised you're not running any Nykthos, though. Getting Heliod out turn 4 with a mana to spare is kind of nice. I was toying with the idea of a similar deck that used Planar Cleansing, Heliod, and Gideon because Heliod is indestructible and Gideon makes himself indestructible. And Nykthos ramp makes it easy to hit 6 mana.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Yea, I saw a big white deck the other day at a standard event. Didn't play planar cleansing, but ramping out angels of serenity was pretty real.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Been preparing for this coming weekend event, made some changes after the last one which I feel tighten things up a bit more. There are still some other changes I'm considering, but I figured I'd provide an update and some input.

Deck: Red Deck Wins Best Deck Ever

//Land
19 Mountain
2 Mutavault

//Creatures
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock

//Planeswalkers
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Sideboard
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Ratchet Bomb
4 Skullcrack
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Act of Treason

Display deck statistics

Notable changes since the last iteration:
Main
  • 2 Firedrinker Satyr - This deck feels like it gains so much from the 2 power 1-drops that this guy just had to find a home. After noticing that T1-T3 there were often times where I'd have up Shock mana - but not Magma Jet mana - it just made sense to put in Shock-With-Legs. He also plays nicely with a T2 BTE if you have no follow-up, allowing an aggressive pump pre-combat. The other upside he had in testing was that you could swing him into Nightveil Spectre and almost always expect a no-block scenario, since they're just not willing to trade their 3 drop for your 1 drop.
  • 4 Shock - Moved the number of Shocks in the main up to 4 from 2. More often than not the first few turns this deck is up and running it will only have 1 mana to spare, not 2, which made Shock more desirable than Magma Jet overall.
  • 0 Magma Jet - 2 turned into Satyrs, 2 turned into Shocks, all for the reasons expounded on. 2 mana for 2 damage/Scry 2 sounds great in principal, but was only effective in practice off of BTE chains or when you had no other lines of play (which is not where you want to be in this deck anyways).

Sideboard
  • 4 Skullcrack - Against mono-black and Esper lists, this card can often be back-breaking. I've seen guys swing in with Demons to gain 6 knowing that with life gained from the attack and any blocks, only to have this card completely turn their plans sideways and result in imminent death. Against Sphinxes Revelations this can just crush an Esper player's dreams of stalling you out long enough to win. It replaces all 4 Shocks in the latter case, but I haven't settled on a number in the former. Shock sometimes feels good against Spectre, but more often than not it was only 1-mana for 2 to the dome.
  • 2 Chandra, Pyromaster - I still haven't decided upon whether I want 1 main/2 board, 0 main/2 board, or 1 main/1 board, but in the matchups where she's good she's amazing.
  • 2 Act of Treason - This spot is up in the air. Against the mirror, against RG, and against mono-black this has always been pretty solid. However, I've found that Peak Eruption also ends up pretty solid in this slot on the play against the mirror and RG. Haven't had much testing against Naya control, not sure how much I'll see there, but it's another deck where Peak Eruption might be better suited.
  • 0 Burning Earth - This card. This loving card. I had such high hopes for it, and thought for sure it would be amazing. Turns out it was a big ol' pile. It never amounted to much more than Shock or Strike, and for 4 mana you'd hope it'd be a lot more than that! Unless your opponent is entirely stalled on out non-basic draws (which doesn't happen often) it just doesn't have enough immediate impact on the board to turn the tide for you. I've dropped it completely, because even after boarding them in in favourable match-ups I found myself boarding them out immediately for game 3 if I didn't 2-0.
  • 0 Hammer of Purphoros - Another card that seemed like it'd be absolutely amazing against control that I just found myself not bothering with. In almost every instance, I'd have simply rather had Chandra out to get me two draws a turn, since counter-spells and removal could mean my new haste drop doesn't stick around, and because with guys like Fanatic in the deck you can't afford to go down to 3 land.

Most of the match-ups notes from previous postings remain the same, and there aren't a lot of changes I'd make against a lot of decks. Most notably, against blue I actually leave in the Shocks, and drop two Satyr's for a pair of Skullcracks (which I then board back out if they see me kill Master with it).

As I've mentioned, there are a couple of things I'm still up in the air about and haven't set in stone:
  • 1 Chandra vs. 1 Firedrinker Satyr - In the main, as noted, I'm finding a lot more consistency in the finishing power of this deck with the inclusion of another 1 drop, since establishing board presence immediately can be critical. Having said that, I've never put Chandra out in a match and thought "Man, I wish I had another card," and that's mostly because the deck is all about aggression and removing a blocker for me/getting me more cards is pure aggressive play. Whether further improving my early-game consistency or give me some mid-game power/smoothing ends up stronger is something I'm still up in the air about.
  • 4 Skullcrack - Sometimes I feel like I want all 4, sometimes I feel like I'd only want 2-3, and committing 4 cards in my board is a lot of space. As mentioned, though, in the match-ups these cards are good in, they can be 1R - Win the game on your next turn.
  • 2 Act of Treason vs. 2 Peak Eruption - The problem with this decision is that the former is good in multiple match-ups, while the latter ranges from ok to absolutely amazing in the match-ups it goes in. Catching my opponent pants down T3 with Peak Eruption could completely hose board development, while - similarly - Act of Treason on sometime like T4 Demon could simply be a game-ender immediately.

As always, all feedback and opinions appreciated. I'm just looking for some input to help sway me on a few of these decisions.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Mikujin, I'll start testing with those changes tonight. It's good to see something that can drop nightveil, but I might still find room for 2 jets.......

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

Mikujin, I'll start testing with those changes tonight. It's good to see something that can drop nightveil, but I might still find room for 2 jets.......

The problem is there isn't much room for them. :(

You might get away with dropping Chandra and maybe one BTE main for them if you really want them in, I guess.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I've found that my love for Magma Jet and my desire to keep 1 or 2 in my RDW is the hardest decision to make. On one hand, if you're trying to win by turn 4 or 5, you shouldn't care about setting up draws or clearing land out of the way. However, if you end up getting only 2 mana on the board by turn 3 or so, a Magma jet can help you find some. Also, if you're not going to win on turn 4 or 5 and you need a little extra steam, clearing away 1-drop and/or land to potentially draw something better is a great thing, or as a post-sweeper move.

Then again, it's 2 mana vs. 1 for Shock, and all my testing has shown that Magma Jet sits in my hand most of the time while Shock gets used often because I'm able to cast it more often and I don't need the scrying often. I only have 1 Chandra right now but as soon as I get a 2nd one I'm dropping my single Magma Jet for her because even though I love the card, it really is the most easily droppable card from the list.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Elephant Ambush posted:

Then again, it's 2 mana vs. 1 for Shock, and all my testing has shown that Magma Jet sits in my hand most of the time while Shock gets used often because I'm able to cast it more often and I don't need the scrying often.

This is the exact same thing that happened with MURDERGOATS. If you want a two mana direct damage spell, just play lightning strike. Magma jet is best for control shells splashing red.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

YeehawMcKickass posted:

This is the exact same thing that happened with MURDERGOATS. If you want a two mana direct damage spell, just play lightning strike. Magma jet is best for control shells splashing red.

I still have one in mine. It's shiny. :downs: The others became shocks in addition to the 2 or 3 Lightning Strikes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I want to ask how crucial you think shock is to MURDERGOATS! anyway as compared to other possible 1cmc spells. Did it save you or win you games that wouldn't otherwise have been winnable with something like Thoughtseize? MURDERGOATS! is more of a control style deck, anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Why not Pongify Rapid Hybridization? I absolutely love Pongify Rapid Hybridization.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Leper Colon V posted:

Why not Pongify Rapid Hybridization? I absolutely love Pongify Rapid Hybridization.

Because it is blue, and MURDERGOATS! is red/black. I was thinking MURDERGOATS! (I like typing MURDERGOATS!) should consider something like Vile Rebirth, Beckon Apparition, or Titan's Strength. More tokens to chump block/sacrifice/trigger Purphoros, and the ability to scry while letting a token trade are all nice abilities.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AlternateNu posted:

Because it is blue, and MURDERGOATS! is red/black.
That's a good reason, yeah. :doh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Leper Colon V posted:

That's a good reason, yeah. :doh:

I wonder what Grixis MURDERGOATS! would look like.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

I wonder what Grixis MURDERGOATS! would look like.

Ive been doing alright splashing white for just the assemble the legion. But id love to see some brainstorming on a grixis build.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

While we're on MURDERGOATS! chat, is anyone else using Mountain Goats to represent the Young Pyromancer elemental tokens?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

MURDERGOATS! (I like typing MURDERGOATS!)

It's, like, half the fun. So is swinging with flaming Goat tokens. So is the many deck interactions. Also, beating people with MURDERGOATS.

What I'm saying is the deck is 200% fun. :colbert:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Here's the BW midrange list I mean to try tomorrow. Probably needs tuning to my local meta, perhaps should have Sorin's Thirst Pharika's Cure in there to slow down aggro, with the bonus of letting me set off High Priest when needed.

Deck: Orzhov Midrange 31/10/13

//Creatures
3 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
4 Desecration Demon
4 Sin Collector
4 High Priest of Penance

//Artifacts and Enchantments
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Underworld Connections

//Spells
2 Read the Bones
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Doom Blade
2 Orzhov Charm
2 Thoughtseize

//Land
4 Godless Shrine
4 Temple of Silence
2 Orzhov Guildgate
8 Swamp
7 Plains

//Sideboard
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Pithing Needle
2 Blind Obedience
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
2 Devour Flesh
2 Lifebane Zombie
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Blood Baron of Vizkopa

Display deck statistics

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

AlternateNu posted:

I want to ask how crucial you think shock is to MURDERGOATS! anyway as compared to other possible 1cmc spells. Did it save you or win you games that wouldn't otherwise have been winnable with something like Thoughtseize? MURDERGOATS! is more of a control style deck, anyway.

My experience with thoughtseize was that the early life loss ended up being extremely relevant. Super small sample size though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

YeehawMcKickass posted:

My experience with thoughtseize was that the early life loss ended up being extremely relevant. Super small sample size though.

I have 2 in the side for control where I don't see the life loss mattering all that much. I've never actually played control, so :shrug:

Edit: I should say I haven't played standard control. I played against a guy who had stuff that was standard during RTR block. It was pretty effective then.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 31, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Murdergoats! didn't do very well for me last week, but I didn't get much chance to look at it or come up with any potential plays for it. I didn't even have a chance to sleeve up before I got to FNM, because I had to drive a ways away to get the rest of what i needed. What do you suggest?

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 31, 2013

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I haven't had too much success with MURDERGOATS simply because mono-B is pretty big locally right now, which is difficult. Also, lots of r-based aggro, but that's more manageable. I'm thinking I'm gonna run maindeck ratchet bomb over magma jets, because magma jets aren't good for reasons people here have been clear about, and Ultimate Price over Doom Blade main since there are desecration demons abound. I'm hoping the ratchet bombs will pay off with trading post synergies in addition to getting me some 2-for-1s. Haven't tried thoughtseize because I don't have any, but I'm siding two duress for the control matchup, despite there being one control deck every, say, 3 FMNs. Haven't had a chance to play that match yet though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Is this just a Murdergoats- or aggro-specific thing? I'm trying to build mono-black which is more midrangey and I'm trying to figure out if I can do 2 Thoughtseize/2 Duress main instead of a playset, as a cost-cutting measure since I probably won't take this outside of FNM. Then again, mono-black has some good lifegain effects so it probably doesn't matter there.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is everyone consistently chaining BTE but me? Whenever I run her, I'm always disappointed past turn 3 when I draw spares. Could not her set be replaced with a pair of Legion Loyalist and a pair of either Mugging or Magma Jet? Mugging has been less disappointing that I initially assessed (and if anyone has any non-foil French ones at a reasonable price, please let me know) and it can always be turned into faceburn by pointing at the one's Reckoner. I'd probably favor Magma Jet, though. Loyalist trigger helps negate Firedrinker's downside.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tubgoat posted:

Is everyone consistently chaining BTE but me? Whenever I run her, I'm always disappointed past turn 3 when I draw spares. Could not her set be replaced with a pair of Legion Loyalist and a pair of either Mugging or Magma Jet? Mugging has been less disappointing that I initially assessed (and if anyone has any non-foil French ones at a reasonable price, please let me know) and it can always be turned into faceburn by pointing at the one's Reckoner. I'd probably favor Magma Jet, though. Loyalist trigger helps negate Firedrinker's downside.
BTE draws are unimpressive with no follow-ups, but if you're casting literally anything with the remaining mana it's a free body which is why it's so attractive. Turn 3 on triple mountain you're almost always better off casting BTE+Phoenix rather than Reckoner, and drawing a BTE before you drop a Fanatic is 2 more to the dome, as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tubgoat posted:

You have bad luck. BTE is the 2nd best card in my RDW after Boros Reckoner. I'd suggest more testing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You see 8 cards by turn two, and you typically see 2-4 more cards after that before the game is decided one way or the other.

If you're getting more disappointing-BTE-off-the-top's than you are turn-2-BTE-into-something-else, than you're getting some really unusual luck.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
BTEs turning up by turn 3 were the best possible appearance of any card I might have seen with my Gates deck. Free 2/2 blocker(s) all day long :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tubgoat posted:

It is really dependent on how many cards you have that can utilize the green mana. Unless your deck is nothing but Ash Zealots, Boros Reckoners, and Rakdos Shredfreaks, you should be getting some use out of her. Honestly, her best interaction (in my deck) is with Nykthos. (Of course, my red deck is more mid-rangy and runs 3 x Nykthos.) She is more or less a mana source in those cases, and it is crazy when you can throw her down on turn three with an Ash Zealot out and go straight into a Fanatic for 5 damage. Lord help your opponent if you have more than one and you can Nykthos ramp for 6 or 8 mana on turn three to dump your whole hand.

Edit: The craziest hand I ever had was -
Turn 1: Legion Loyalist
Turn 2: Ash Zealot
Turn 3: Nykthos, BTE, BTE, BTE, Stormbreath Dragon, Fanatic of Mogis.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 31, 2013

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

AlternateNu posted:

It is really dependent on how many cards you have that can utilize the green mana. Unless your deck is nothing but Ash Zealots, Boros Reckoners, and Rakdos Shredfreaks, you should be getting some use out of her. Honestly, her best interaction (in my deck) is with Nykthos. (Of course, my red deck is more mid-rangy and runs 3 x Nykthos.) She is more or less a mana source in those cases, and it is crazy when you can throw her down on turn three with an Ash Zealot out and go straight into a Fanatic for 5 damage. Lord help your opponent if you have more than one and you can Nykthos ramp for 6 or 8 mana on turn three to dump your whole hand.

Edit: The craziest hand I ever had was -
Turn 1: Legion Loyalist
Turn 2: Ash Zealot
Turn 3: Nykthos, BTE, BTE, BTE, Stormbreath Dragon, Fanatic of Mogis.

FYI it's almost always better to sequence your BTEs first before playing a land. That way you make sure the mana trigger resolves and you lay Nykthos and activate without passing priority or using the stack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I played a variation of Mikujin's RDW at the last FNM and got crushed, going, 1-3. I'm not trying to poo poo talk Mikujin's deck. I know it's a good build, and he has the results to prove it, but it seemed like I couldn't do anything against all the drat Detention Spheres and Supreme Verdicts. I also could never seem to draw my Skullcracks at the right time to prevent any lifegain. One game I got owned by a Boros deck that had combat tricks with Boros Charm and God's Willing to help swing the board state in his favor. I found it interesting and thought it might be able to deal with control a little better, so I came up with my own version.

quote:

Spells
Boros Charm x 4
Shock x 4
God's Willing x 4
Skullcrack x 2
Legions Initiative x 4
Purphoros x 3
Chandra Pyromaster x 1

Creatures
Ash Zealot x 4
Boros Reckoner x 4
Soldier of the Pantheon x 4
Fanatic of Mogis x 4

Land
Mountain x 9
Plains x 3
Sacred Foundry x 4
Temple of Triumph x 4
Nykthos x 2

Sideboard
Chained to Rocks x 4
Wear/Tear x 4
Skullcrack x 2
Mizzium Mortars x 4
Chandra Pyromaster x 1

My dream scenario is to get Legion's Initiative out along with Purphoros and/or Fanatic and a couple of other creatures to exploit the ETB triggers. Legion's Initiative also has the bonus effect of nullifying Supreme Verdict.

Please go easy on me, it's my first non-net deck since I've come back from a long hiatus. :smith:

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 31, 2013

• Locked thread