Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AllanGordon posted:

If Hillary runs for the party nomination and no significant opposition pops up when would it be appropriate for her to announce her VP candidate? Also would there be any chance that Hillary would pick Warren for her VP?

To your first question, there's no advantage in announcing a VP candidate early. The VP pick only really triggers a small polling bump for a week and a debatable 1-2% gain in their home state in the general election. The best strategy is to continue vetting and grooming the possible picks as long as possible, getting to know each of them personally during joint campaign appearances and then announce the pick during the summer lull before the convention. Bonus points if you get news vans to park outside three different houses and let us buy them pizza.

To your second question, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

AllanGordon posted:

If Hillary runs for the party nomination and no significant opposition pops up when would it be appropriate for her to announce her VP candidate? Also would there be any chance that Hillary would pick Warren for her VP?

Near the convention. Build up anticipation as much as possible, and then drop the great news right before in order to win more media cycles. Get everyone ready for Vice President Terry McAuliffe!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

jeffersonlives posted:

Biden is giving every sign that he is going to make the race as long as he feels up to it whether Clinton's in or not.

I have no doubts that Biden wants Clinton to know it's not a coronation and he'd be stupid to not hedge his bets against her deciding not to run but three years out I simply can't see him going all-in on Queen High. I definitely think he's angling for some sort of position in a Clinton WH though (or, hell, VP).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm highly skeptical of all the hand-wringing about VPs having to come from particular geographic regions. Our last two have hailed from the key electoral states of Delaware and Wyoming. I think the only real tests that the VP needs to pass are (1) appear competent, and (2) get along with the top of the ticket.

Traditionally VPs don't live in the same state as the presidential candidate, thus why Cheney moved to Wyoming when he ran with Bush. The idea being it would weaken the ticket if both candidates were from Texas. Clinton and Gore were both from southern states, something that hadn't happened since the Civil War. The purpose is to balance the ticket and appeal to more voters. Young Obama paired up with older, more seasoned older Biden, and also they're home states are about as geographically distant as you can get.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Highspeeddub posted:

Traditionally VPs don't live in the same state as the presidential candidate, thus why Cheney moved to Wyoming when he ran with Bush. The idea being it would weaken the ticket if both candidates were from Texas. Clinton and Gore were both from southern states, something that hadn't happened since the Civil War. The purpose is to balance the ticket and appeal to more voters. Young Obama paired up with older, more seasoned older Biden, and also they're home states are about as geographically distant as you can get.

It's not a tradition it's basically a constitutional requirement since electors can't vote for a President and a VP both from their same state.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

serewit posted:

I have no doubts that Biden wants Clinton to know it's not a coronation and he'd be stupid to not hedge his bets against her deciding not to run but three years out I simply can't see him going all-in on Queen High. I definitely think he's angling for some sort of position in a Clinton WH though (or, hell, VP).

Biden is the one organizing an infrastructure and trying to lock up minor politicians and establishment figures in Iowa/New Hampshire/South Carolina right now, not Clinton. He's going pretty far beyond shots across the bow and hedging bets.

It's not like he has anything to lose by running, even if he relatively flops he'll still do far better than 1988 and 2008.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There are constitutional problems with the candidates being from the same state, but aside from that any talk of the VP balancing the ticket is media pundit bullshit.

In fact, balancing efforts tend to work against the campaigns, rather than help them.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

farraday posted:

It's not a tradition it's basically a constitutional requirement since electors can't vote for a President and a VP both from their same state.

I think they actually can be from the same state, they just don't get their state's electors.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

serewit posted:

I think everyone would be fine with Biden being the VP again...especially The Onion so they can have Diamond Joe wake up after an election bender only to find out the "chill black dude" he's been hanging out with for the last 8 years is now a "fine rear end MILF", and how he can't wait to "cruse with her up to Camp David in his Trans Am for some hot tub time".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

serewit posted:

I definitely think he's angling for some sort of position in a Clinton WH though (or, hell, VP).

Transportation Secretary Biden would be pretty great.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Biden is the one organizing an infrastructure and trying to lock up minor politicians and establishment figures in Iowa/New Hampshire/South Carolina right now, not Clinton. He's going pretty far beyond shots across the bow and hedging bets.

It's not like he has anything to lose by running, even if he relatively flops he'll still do far better than 1988 and 2008.

What sounds more likely to you, though, that Biden *really* wants to go at it with the Clinton Machine and give the press endless horserace stories about Obama's SoS and VP sniping each other or that he's trying to angle himself as a kingmaker who can negotiate whatever he wants out of a presumable Clinton admin and toss this support over to her? I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong, but I just think scenario two is more likely than scenario one.

Transport Secretary Biden for Life.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gygaxian posted:

I think they actually can be from the same state, they just don't get their state's electors.

Yes, and "being from the same state" just goes off where they declare their current residence to be.

Apartment rental in a neighboring state suffices.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well, the fact that Norm MacDonald is considered disorganized unreliable and eccentric FOR A COMEDIAN still trumps any politics, in my mind. I can't remember the last time a press secretary said anything worth remembering (in a positive sense) so there's really nowhere to go but up.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

serewit posted:

What sounds more likely to you, though, that Biden *really* wants to go at it with the Clinton Machine and give the press endless horserace stories about Obama's SoS and VP sniping each other or that he's trying to angle himself as a kingmaker who can negotiate whatever he wants out of a presumable Clinton admin and toss this support over to her? I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong, but I just think scenario two is more likely than scenario one.

Transport Secretary Biden for Life.

Given what we know about Joe Biden, very much the former. Has Biden ever given the slightest poo poo about being a silent kingmaker?

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

pangstrom posted:

Well, the fact that Norm MacDonald is considered disorganized unreliable and eccentric FOR A COMEDIAN still trumps any politics, in my mind. I can't remember the last time a press secretary said anything worth remembering (in a positive sense) so there's really nowhere to go but up.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Norm MacDonald is the best comedian working today. But the thought of him being press secretary for President Bernie Sanders is a little farfetched given his politics.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Joe Biden has been running for President for longer than most people who post on this forum have been alive. He's not going to stop now when he's closer to it than he's ever been.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Joementum posted:

To your first question, there's no advantage in announcing a VP candidate early. The VP pick only really triggers a small polling bump for a week and a debatable 1-2% gain in their home state in the general election. The best strategy is to continue vetting and grooming the possible picks as long as possible, getting to know each of them personally during joint campaign appearances and then announce the pick during the summer lull before the convention. Bonus points if you get news vans to park outside three different houses and let us buy them pizza.

To your second question, no.

Also the incumbent party gets to hold their convention last and there is no need to tip her hand before the Republicans announce their VP choice.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 31, 2013

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Joe Biden is currently the Vice President of the United States, a position with arguably more behind the scenes power in the last 20 years than the Secretary of State. He has a hundred million dollars in pre-written donor checks, will be living in Iowa for the next two years, and has a primary Rolodex that any of the GOP runners would die for.

"He's trying to play kingmaker so he can be appointed Secretary of Cool" is not a thing that exists or makes sense. It's up there with Hillary totes appointing Bernie Warren veep because progressives really want it.

e: that said there's definitely a chance that Hillary and Joe wind up in a room one day soon and the first person to walk out of it is the only one to run. It's just that there is also a significant chance the other will be dead.

Adar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 31, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Let's go back to Obama replacing Biden as VP, which was totally ever a thing that would happen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Transportation Secretary Biden would be pretty great.

The nation awakens on January 21st 2017 to find the entire interstate highway system was replaced with railways overnight. The press notes that in hindsight Biden wearing his engineer's cap to the inauguration ceremony was a giveaway.

Edit: As far as Hilary vs Joe, 2008 shows that a drawn out fight between two heavy weights can be alright for the Democrats. Especially if 2016 is the clown show on the GOP side that it's shaping up to be.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 31, 2013

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Neither is going to be too worried about "turbulence in the house of Obama" as long as the GOP continues on its present course, as well. Maybe if the GOP was making all the right moves, uniting behind someone like Rubio and doing strong minority outreach while marginalizing the tea party...but they're not. They're in full crazy meltdown mode, and any victories they make will be through voter suppression and inflaming the base. As long as the GOP will have another "seven dwarves" tearing down whoever the establishment candidate is, they have no worries.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Unfortunately his theoretical opponent is Hilary fuckin' Clinton which sort of upsets the traditional calculus in these hypothetical matchups.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

serewit posted:

Unfortunately his theoretical opponent is Hilary fuckin' Clinton which sort of upsets the traditional calculus in these hypothetical matchups.

The problem with this argument is that Joe Biden is currently the Vice President in the Not Hillary Clinton administration.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DynamicSloth posted:

Also the incumbent party gets to hold their convention last

Though that's just a norm and something Reince could get more drunk than usual one night and decide to change.

Gyges posted:

The nation awakens on January 21st 2017 to find the entire interstate highway system was replaced with railways overnight. The press notes that in hindsight Biden wearing his engineer's cap to the inauguration ceremony was a giveaway.

Vice President of Transportation Joe Biden will leave one lane on the Interstates, to be used only by bikers.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

jeffersonlives posted:

The real trouble for Hillary, as always, is that the Clintons have very significant establishment enemies. The secondary trouble is that the sitting Vice President that doubles as probably the best retail politician in the party has had deep presidential ambitions for 37 years or so and this will be his last best shot at it.
The Democrats are in real trouble if the best retail politician in the party couldn't top a percentage point in Iowa.

Maybe the Clintons have some enemies left in the party but they don't have that much sway if they can't prevent 30% of the Senate caucus from endorse Hillary unsolicited.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Adar posted:

The problem with this argument is that Joe Biden is currently the Vice President in the Not Hillary Clinton administration.

I can't offhandedly recall if there's been a race wherein the sitting VP ran against a member of the sitting Presidents cabinet, but I'll grant you that Biden would be a very serious contender in this hypothetical matchup and he certainly will run if he thinks he can win.

I just don't think he can win, so he won't run. We'll see!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

serewit posted:

I can't offhandedly recall if there's been a race wherein the sitting VP ran against a member of the sitting Presidents cabinet
Well the first contested Presidential contest for one.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

The Democrats are in real trouble if the best retail politician in the party couldn't top a percentage point in Iowa.

Maybe the Clintons have some enemies left in the party but they don't have that much sway if they can't prevent 30% of the Senate caucus from endorse Hillary unsolicited.

Biden ran what was considered an excellent campaign, and got completely drowned by lack of media attention and money. He is now the VPOTUS so that will not be a problem in a 2016 run.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

serewit posted:

I can't offhandedly recall if there's been a race wherein the sitting VP ran against a member of the sitting Presidents cabinet, but I'll grant you that Biden would be a very serious contender in this hypothetical matchup and he certainly will run if he thinks he can win.

I just don't think he can win, so he won't run. We'll see!

I know you think he can't and I'm very happily collecting bets from a lot of people who also think he can't, so you're not alone. The important thing, though, is that Biden most certainly thinks he can.

The other important thing and the reason that Biden isn't crazy is that Hillary lost to John Edwards in Iowa and is all but guaranteed to get destroyed in South Carolina, meaning that this time around she either scores a very early knockout or it goes to Super Tuesday -again- and every single person that has pissed off a Clinton since 1970-something lines up behind Not Hillary -again-. Granted, this time around the Senate majority leader is not actively recruiting Charismatic Black Guy to save the party from the ravening Clintonian hordes, but the only thing that really matters is Iowa, and Iowa has already wrecked her campaign once.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

serewit posted:

I can't offhandedly recall if there's been a race wherein the sitting VP ran against a member of the sitting Presidents cabinet

The closest you'll get in the modern era is Hubert Humphrey vs Robert Kennedy in '68, as RFK was a former cabinet member of the Johnson administration, though certainly not be Johnson's choice. Also, 1968 is about as hosed up as you can possibly get in terms of party primaries and probably not a good precedent.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Biden ran what was considered an excellent campaign, and got completely drowned by lack of media attention and money. He is now the VPOTUS so that will not be a problem in a 2016 run.

An excellent campaign isn't one that runs out of money and Mike Huckabee won Iowa with an almost identical fundraising total. I'm not saying he can't make a better go of it this time but he's never proven himself a particularly strong Presidential candidate.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna make the following statement based on the assumption that Ted Cruz becomes the GOP nominee which would be likely, if the primaries started next month. I think Biden would do better in a series of debates against Cruz than would Hillary. So I wouldn't mind having a Biden POTUS. But I would hate to have Democratic hopes in 2016 go down in flames because of some lovely show pony debates that the media could wind up giving to a Princeton debate champion with no substance.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

Well the first contested Presidential contest for one.

:nsa:

Adar posted:

I know you think he can't and I'm very happily collecting bets from a lot of people who also think he can't, so you're not alone. The important thing, though, is that Biden most certainly thinks he can.

The other important thing and the reason that Biden isn't crazy is that Hillary lost to John Edwards in Iowa and is all but guaranteed to get destroyed in South Carolina, meaning that this time around she either scores a very early knockout or it goes to Super Tuesday -again- and every single person that has pissed off a Clinton since 1970-something lines up behind Not Hillary -again-. Granted, this time around the Senate majority leader is not actively recruiting Charismatic Black Guy to save the party from the ravening Clintonian hordes, but the only thing that really matters is Iowa, and Iowa has already wrecked her campaign once.

The real question - which remains to be seen - is how much of Clintonland gets sent to the gulag for failing her in '08. I'd like to think that they'll learn from their mistakes and see how much of Team Obama they can crib. Of course, if Unca Joe walks off with the Obama infrastructure than this race gets a lot more interesting.

ed - It'll be the height of hilarity if Clinton and Biden are both in it and Clinton starts hitting on UHC from the left, though. Bidencare has a nice ring to it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

An excellent campaign isn't one that runs out of money and Mike Huckabee won Iowa with an almost identical fundraising total. I'm not saying he can't make a better go of it this time but he's never proven himself a particularly strong Presidential candidate.

Mike Huckabee won a Republican primary filled with a bunch of clowns who other than Mike Huckabee couldn't speak to the religious conservative base that dominates the Republican caucuses. Biden was up against not just one and not just two but three candidates of far better quality than anything the Republicans were throwing out.

Or I'll just appeal to the highest authority: Biden's campaign was good enough that the guy who won picked him as the running mate!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Mike Huckabee won a Republican primary filled with a bunch of clowns who other than Mike Huckabee couldn't speak to the religious conservative base that dominates the Republican caucuses. Biden was up against not just one and not just two but three candidates of far better quality than anything the Republicans were throwing out.

Or I'll just appeal to the highest authority: Biden's campaign was good enough that the guy who won picked him as the running mate!

Obama didn't pick Biden for his campaign expertise. He wanted Biden as a liaison to Congress. Biden's campaign was terrible. It's been terrible every time he's run. Whatever he's like in person, on the campaign trail he's got all the charisma of cold oatmeal.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Yes, and he'd be up against one of those same candidates again. Joe Biden spent 95% of the year preceding his dropping out of the race losing (badly) to Hillary Clinton.

Obviously he'll have some inherent advantages as sitting VP none of which have anything to do with him being a particularly good retail politician.

jeffersonlives posted:

Other brilliant campaigners predicted by this metric: Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin, Al Gore, Dick Cheney and of course Joementum himself.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

Other brilliant campaigners predicted by this metric: Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin, Al Gore and Dick Cheney.

Gore had run a competitive campaign in 1988 (and then turned back a pretty serious primary challenge in 2000), and none of the rest had actually run before. There's a difference between picking a question mark and picking someone who is a known liability.

Deteriorata posted:

Obama didn't pick Biden for his campaign expertise. He wanted Biden as a liaison to Congress. Biden's campaign was terrible. It's been terrible every time he's run. Whatever he's like in person, on the campaign trail he's got all the charisma of cold oatmeal.

He actually picked him to speak to old white people in Pennsylvania, and to a lesser extent Florida and Ohio.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DynamicSloth posted:

Other brilliant campaigners predicted by this metric: Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin, Al Gore, Dick Cheney and of course Joementum himself.

Of those people, only Al Gore ran a primary campaign.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Joementum posted:

Of those people, only Al Gore ran a primary campaign.

Suggesting that strength in running a primary campaign is rarely on the successful nominee's mind when choosing a Veep.

jeffersonlives posted:

Gore had run a competitive campaign in 1988
unlike Joe Biden, although in the end it didn't help and I wouldn't say the Bradley campaign was all that much of a challenge.

jeffersonlives posted:

He actually picked him to speak to old white people in Pennsylvania, and to a lesser extent Florida and Ohio.
Which isn't going to offer much help against Hillary in a Primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I just want Joe Biden to be the country's first three-term Vice President. Is that really so much to ask?

• Locked thread