Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-20pc...16&AID=11042411

20 piece SAE+metric gearwrench set is on sale right now. $65.

I'm missing enough out of my set at this point that I might just pick up another set and have spares of a few sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Use the cash back referrer for Sears on Fatwallet and get another 3% off that price. Not a huge amount but it's money.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Keep in mind: Those aren't the reversible ones.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
How so? You can't flip them over?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I didn't even think of that, I actually prefer the non reversible ones and only use flex head ones where absolutely necessary.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Reminds me that I need to pick up the set that has ratcheting open ends on my next payday.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
Don't bother, they are awful. Too easy to round off a fastener.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

Looks like the HF IR thermometer is $26 on sale with coupon, are these any good? I know anything electrical/electronic is to be avoided from HF, but I don't really want to drop trou on a Fluke or something. For that price maybe it's OK?

Got one on Amazon for about $15, had to talk myself out of the $10 model. Reads accurate enough for both my pizza stone and my truck motor.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jared592 posted:

How so? You can't flip them over?

Oh, yeah, you can; I just have and prefer the non-pivot reversible ones where they have a little lever to change which way the ratcheting mechanism is going. They have an offset, making it easier to get to stuff sometimes, and are shaped such that they won't fall behind the nut. Neither is strictly necessary, but I certainly appreciate them from time to time.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Looks like its that time again..

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Time for some bono safety glasses indeed!

Finally got my first snap on tool, picked up a lightly used FHX80 3/8" locking flex head ratchet off ebay. I've never used anything better than standard craftsman ratchets so the feel of the finer teeth is amazing.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
This may have come up previously in the thread(I scanned through parts of it but didn't catch any chat about it), but what electric impact wrenches are worth buying? I'd get the real deal and go air-powered, but I live in an apartment and don't have space for a big-rear end air compressor. I'm no Kastein and in need of gonzo torque to break mountains of rusted-solid bolts, but I also would like to be able to blow an axle nut off in less than a minute or two of hammering. I have a decent breaker bar and all, but there's no beating a decent power tool and I'm tired of having to take all afternoon doing things the slow way.

e: nevermind, I did some more scanning and it looks like the Milwaukee rattleguns are a thread favorite with DeWalt close behind. Any experience/opinions on the Craftsman 7.5 or 8 amp models?

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 24, 2013

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I have a Craftsman C3 that isn't bad. Kinda wish it came with a 2nd battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

West SAAB Story posted:

Looks like its that time again..

I need one of those nail unbenders to repurpose all the nails I get from pulling apart pallets.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
Anyone use this?

I saw this in home depot yesterday, I must have it.

I have their 1/4 and 3/8 impact driver and they torque really well. This looks like a game changer for me though pending its not crap.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2457-20-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Ratchet/dp/B006CSRBTC

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Kilersquirrel posted:

e: nevermind, I did some more scanning and it looks like the Milwaukee rattleguns are a thread favorite with DeWalt close behind. Any experience/opinions on the Craftsman 7.5 or 8 amp models?

I've been using a craftsman 8A impact, if you scan though my thread you should be able to find a picture of the thing. It's fairly handy but very bulky, definitely not a tool for tight spaces. It's got a decent amount of grunt for what it is, sometimes have to sit on a stubborn nut but it managed to take all my wheel nuts off without too much swearing.

One thing I've found is that there's a little delay with pressing the trigger, takes a second or two before it starts going, not sure why.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

tuddy posted:

Anyone use this?

I have their 1/4 and 3/8 impact driver and they torque really well. This looks like a game changer for me though pending its not crap.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2457-20-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Ratchet/dp/B006CSRBTC

I love air ratchets, but this would be way better.

cody
Mar 8, 2004
-----

tuddy posted:

Anyone use this?

I have the 3/8 version - its very handy.
doesn't have as much torque as say, the m12 impact wrench, but gets in places that an impact wrench wont.
can be used as a normal ratchet to break a fastener before buzzing it off.
one battery lasts me a good few hours of use.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A piece of artwork I like to call "gently caress you Ryobi and double gently caress your weaselly warranty behavior":

Some of you probably remember my tale of woe concerning Ryobi refusing to honor their 3 year warranty on the NiCd battery packs for my One+ cordless angle grinder. I never succeeded in browbeating them into honoring it, so I've settled for dragging their name through the mud everywhere I can (and never buying their tools again), and have probably driven $800+ in tool purchases away from them due to lots of friends asking me what to buy. Not honoring that warranty was a wise financial decision on their part to be sure.

So now I have two useless dead 18V NiCd battery packs... going to gut one and connect these to it. Going from ~2Ah to 12Ah, it should last approximately 18 years before running out of power and I can charge it anywhere if I build a 6v charger that runs off a car.

Testing at the junkyard tomorrow morning hopefully, there will be no survivors :unsmigghh:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

So now I have two useless dead 18V NiCd battery packs... going to gut one and connect these to it. Going from ~2Ah to 12Ah, it should last approximately 18 years before running out of power and I can charge it anywhere if I build a 6v charger that runs off a car.

So I'm guessing the 18v ones for the grinder are a lot less refurb friendly than the 12v ones? I have a 12v NiCd drill one I need to gut and re-cell. I wouldn't even bother except the Ryobi seems to have a lot more torque than the big lovely GMC I have.

I like your battery pack plan by the way.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I just bought a house with a 4 car garage (woohoo) and it's empty so I'm trying to set it up..

I need a workbench and this came up on craigslist, for $150

"Steel work bench 6ft x 3ft' "

Dude says it's ~200 lbs and the same one you see in all machine shops and auto places. It looks good to me, and I offered $120 but he wouldn't budge and said he should've asked for $175... :rolleyes:

He said they are $375 new which I find hard to believe but whatever.

It's a bit out of my way to pick it up so my question is, is this worth $150?

Where can I get workbenches at good deals anyway? I've never had to outfit a garage before. I checked costco but they didn't have anything.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Your options are to make one or scrounge around on craigslist some more.

It's a pretty lightweight table and any really major work would destroy it. I certainly wouldn't want to be hammering on a vice attached to it. That said, workbenches are usually pricey and that's not a dreadful price for a decent bench.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
It actually seems much heavier duty that what I've always been used to, and if I bolt it to the floor I dont think hammering on a vice would cause many issues.

I have some welding skillz so I think I could reinforce it if necessary and that would be easier than building a whole new one from scratch.

I guess my main question was the price

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
It can't hurt to check out freecycle, either.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Call me hopelessly oldskool if you want but I like heavy wood frame benches for working on, especially with a vice. I think it's the extra mass of the bench or something along with damping ability that appeals to me.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

aventari posted:

Where can I get workbenches at good deals anyway? I've never had to outfit a garage before. I checked costco but they didn't have anything.
I'm with General Failure. You can build a hell of a nice workbench out of 2x4s and MDF for way cheaper than $150 and would be sturdier than that bench looks. Pick good straight lumber and frame it out 16"OC, and it'll be rock solid for anything you need to do. One nice feature is to let the MDF overhang 1.5" and reinforce it with a 2x2; that way, you can clamp stuff to it easier.

Since the top is just MDF (or plywood if you go fancy), you can screw into it easy enough to mount stuff, even just temporarily for working on it, and it's inexpensive to replace if you do something stupid to it.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 31, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If I built a workbench for garage poo poo out of 2x4s and MDF I would shred it in short order. That's what desks are made out of.

Perhaps 2x4s and drywall? I hear it's capable of supporting some serious weight.

If/when I build a shop, it's getting a chassis table made out of I-beams and probably some benches made out of heavy structural C channel and angle. I'm tired of benches falling apart.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

That looks just like the workbench my dad has had at the dealership for 30 years. He hasn't managed to break it yet. Probably an inferior Chinese copy, though.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

For $150 that would make a nice light-medium duty arc welding table.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kastein posted:

I can charge it anywhere if I build a 6v charger that runs off a car.

Find a junker laptop power supply. 18-19 volts at a couple of amps, charge in series! I like the cut of your jib on this one, by the way. I have a few 14.4 drills with smoked batteries and was thinking of just hardwiring a set of jumper cables to one.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
How good is AI at identifying tools? A friend of mine emailed me some lovely cell phone picture of some tools he had ended up with, and I'm out of ideas to what they are.
They look half like taps, and half like some sort of reamer with a sliding cone on the end. All of the printing on the case and tools themselves is German, save for the metric thread measurements.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Find a junker laptop power supply. 18-19 volts at a couple of amps, charge in series! I like the cut of your jib on this one, by the way. I have a few 14.4 drills with smoked batteries and was thinking of just hardwiring a set of jumper cables to one.

Funny you mention that, I literally just unscrewed the case from that battery pack an hour ago. At least ryobi had the decency to use small phillips screws instead of gluing it shut or using some goofy tamperproof something or other.

Factory ones are just 15 NiCd sub-C cells spotwelded into a giant cluster. I'm deciding on what connector I should use right now or I'd already have my pack built.

That is a good point on the laptop supply... extrapolating from 13.8V charging voltage for a 12 volt lead acid, I should be charging at 20.7 volts. Pretty sure I have the old 20.5 volt laptop supply from my ancient Vaio around here somewhere :haw:

e: nope, it is 19.5V. I know I've seen a 20.5 around somewhere though.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 31, 2013

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

DefaultPeanut posted:

How good is AI at identifying tools? A friend of mine emailed me some lovely cell phone picture of some tools he had ended up with, and I'm out of ideas to what they are.
They look half like taps, and half like some sort of reamer with a sliding cone on the end. All of the printing on the case and tools themselves is German, save for the metric thread measurements.

They are adjustable reamers.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hey tool thread, I'm looking for an EZ Out, preferably the ones made of adamantium that I've seen used in the other threads. It's to remove some ~12mm bolts that the head broke off that holds the plastic shroud over my intercooler. The thing just snapped off with no warning that the bolt was tight. A link to amazon or again, if a HF unit would suffice id be okay with that.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

If I knew the first thing about woodworking, I probably would make a bench, but alas I do not :( My father is a drat genius at it but I never wanted to learn when I was younger and now he's 1500 miles away.

I think I'll probably pick up this metal one for $150 and hope it works out.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hey tool thread, I'm looking for an EZ Out, preferably the ones made of adamantium that I've seen used in the other threads. It's to remove some ~12mm bolts that the head broke off that holds the plastic shroud over my intercooler. The thing just snapped off with no warning that the bolt was tight. A link to amazon or again, if a HF unit would suffice id be okay with that.

I've never had an EZ out actually work. They either break off inside, or I chicken out because it's about to snap and I just drill the hole out and retap one size larger.

I've heard reverse drill bits are a good thing to try though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Mind snapping a pic real quick? It sounds like there's almost certainly another way to go about removing the broken bolts. I've never seen a shroud bolt or anything related to an intercooler that would absolutely require an ez-out if it broke.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

kastein posted:

Mind snapping a pic real quick? It sounds like there's almost certainly another way to go about removing the broken bolts. I've never seen a shroud bolt or anything related to an intercooler that would absolutely require an ez-out if it broke.

Yeah. I'll snap some later and post them up!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

kastein posted:

Here are the broken bolts. I thought I could try to slot them with the dremel and use a blade screw driver to get them out. No such luck. My plans now are to use a conical dremel bit to smooth out the bolt and then use smaller . larger drill bits until I can get a good bite with an easy out - unless someone has a better suggestion for me!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That really does look like a bastard, the threads are probably packed with that whitish cast aluminum corrosion which is why it won't turn.

You can try heating the aluminum to make it expand away from the steel, but last time I tried that it ended in sadness.

Sadly with the slot cut in it, it is going to be even more of a pain to get a drill started without snagging. Good luck with the dremel method... once it's mostly smoothed out make sure to use a center punch so the drill stays where you want it, and if possible use a drill press so you can ensure the first drill goes perfectly straight down the center of the bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
My latest reviews:

Powerbuilt 30mm wrench. Why not? Needed one for my fan switch on the Alfa. Thing is MASSIVE. I have used it once, and it did the job. Not quite sure if I will ever need it for another job.

China IR thermometer. $14 from eBay and relatively accurate! Even has a laser pointer. It got the aluminum around my t-stat housing at 176.4 on a warm car (pretty much on the money) that has the t-start open at 180ish.